(1) Bye-Bye Japanese Cards! [4/3]

Why thank you, Catbus (I cant help but read your name is nakobus since totorro was populkar in my Japanese class :p ).

I do what I can to phrase things in what would be of best interest for us the fans. I will also be contacting PUSA to see if we can get better level X ratios.

Seriously, how is it i can pull shiny Lotad, shiny vulpix, electabuzzm, and 2 Scyther, buit not a single Lv X? Thats WRONG!!!

Po-Po-Pocchama said:
(Randy) said:
Po-Po-Pocchama said:
Judges need to stop being lazy, and people like 'Pop and BDS need to stop giving garbage excuses.

In fact I'm quitting if they do not give me a clear explanation or change the ruling, I will not play a game that is run by greedy people who couldn't give a **** about there players.

Hey mister, ever heard of the saying "If you do not know any thing about the subject, don't talk about it."
It's not BDS's fault, it's POP's.(Pokemon Organizes play, not pokepop)
I know BDS personally and he is not lazy nor does he give stupid excuses.
I never said it was either of their faults. I said they we're giving poor excuses, I never said either of them we're lazy either.

"If you do not know any thing about the subject, don't talk about it."

This whole complication thing POP is riding this ruling on is a pile of BS because it isn't an issue to anyone who knows how to follow rules.

People who play foreign cards have a right as well as a privilege, if they do not follow the rules, then tough luck, they aren't going to play.

What I meant was why would you mention BDS or Pokepop, if they had nothing to do with it?

I'm with everyone that this ban is a load of magikarps. But the only freaking reason we import stuff is because they're easier to get and are better. Why not follow the way Japan does it? Besides they created the game.

I have an announcement:
Come on people! Stop complaining on this thread!
Go on and email the PUI about it
This huge thread will never fix anything about this, we all have to email PUI and show them how people care and
EMAIL them, all of you to [email protected], and leave a well thought out, intelligent response.

ShineVini said:
Personally, I like this. People who can import japanese cards have a huge advantage over those that cannot, since said cards are much cheaper and are much easier to get. Those like me who couldn't get them were forced to test our luck in boosters, and get crappy cards in the process. So, I think this is a good change. Of course, card prices will go up, but I can only buy english cards anyway, and here in Brazil it's hard to find japanese cards to sell, so it won't affect me. :p

Also, if PUSA decides to make cards more accessible like japanese cards are, then it will be good for us.

You know, for a second, I actually thought you were on to something good here. If all of the hot cards and Lv X's were less common, then maybe the game would kind of evolve down to where there was more skill involved in building good decks with what you have, and valuing the trades you make, etc. But the reality is, it will probably just lead to more of a separation between the "haves" and "have nots"...those that can afford to buy their Dialga G Lv X's off eBay (still a bargain at $30-50!) and those that can't play them anymore. Some good players will be priced out of the game...this is not the great equalizer, it's the great unbalancer (is that a word? :D).

ElementalChomp9999 said:
I have an announcement:
Come on people! Stop complaining on this thread!
Go on and email the PUI about it
This huge thread will never fix anything about this, we all have to email PUI and show them how people care and
EMAIL them, all of you to [email protected], and leave a well thought out, intelligent response.

You're right, but can't we complain a little too? Makes me feel I'm less alone in my disappointment...:D I loved buying the JPN cards...they are like little works of art compared to the ENG versions...sigh...

look, yes, it does suck for some of you people out there who have 50% of their decks in japanese. it does hurt. But in north america, where we speak english english cards seem to be the norm. besides, on a grand scale, not that many players will be greatly affected by the ban. the english cards are so much easier for us to get a hold of (in general). Don't quit playinmg because you can't improt stuff from overseas anymore, play because you enjoy the game. just, from now on, stop investing in japanese cards. it's that simple.

majorje said:
look, yes, it does suck for some of you people out there who have 50% of their decks in japanese. it does hurt. But in north america, where we speak english english cards seem to be the norm. besides, on a grand scale, not that many players will be greatly affected by the ban. Go see the Pokegym thread, you are dead wrong

the english cards are so much easier for us to get a hold of (in general). You mean without importing?, then yes, but in terms of pulling what we need? no.

Don't quit playinmg because you can't improt stuff from overseas anymore, play because you enjoy the game. just, from now on, stop investing in japanese cards. it's that simple.
I've stopped using Foreign Cards in Novemeber, most people now can't afford the game because of the ridiculous english box ratios. That's why they buy japanese.

Out of 24 GC packs (Equivalent of Platinum)
3 Palkia G
3 Dialga G
5 Toxicroak G
3 Blaziken
2 Ampharos
3 Blastoise
2 Delcatty
6 Crobat G
1 Palkia G Lv.X
2 Drapion Lv.X
1 Dialga G Lv.X
1 Lotad SH
1 Electabuzz
1 Scyther
And playsets of over half of the trainers

Out of approximately 72 packs of Platinum (Might be one or two packs over)
1 Blastoise--->Difference of 2
1 Ampharos--->Difference of 1
1 Giratina "Let Loose"--->Incomparable
1 Toxicroak G--->Difference of 4
3 Dialga G--->No difference
0 Blaziken---Difference of 3
3 Crobat G---Difference of 3
1 Dialga G Lv.X--->No difference
1 Drapion Lv.X--->Difference of 1
1 Swablu SH---x
1 Scyther---x

Keep in mind I received 3 times the amount of Platinum packs compared to the amount of GC packs I got.

If you ever wonder why people buy Japanese over English take a look at those comparisons, maybe then will you understand.

If players stop buying Japanese boxes, then the stores that sell them, will stop carrying them due to less sales. So Japanese card collectors will have fill the sets from overseas. English htf cards will go up in price, more demand for the same card. All other English card prices will drop, due to increase sales. But this might not translate to huge sales growth for PUSA, if people stop playing. Is PUSA trading long term sales for short term sales? I think so, no other collectible company understands the concept.

I think there's another reason why they created this rule. Whenever a rule suddenly shows up in Pokémon Organized Play, I've noticed, it's because someone did something really weird during a tournament that sent up a storm of controversy all the way to the top, and from it, a new rule is made.

While it's pretty transparent that Nintendo of America is doing this to get more money from the English language sales, as Nintendo of America gets no money from Japanese sales (that's why the Wii is region-locked, for instance), there is the possibility of creating a fake Card-Dex entry. Unless you know what every single card in every single legal set does 100% with no change of mistaking even the tiniest detail, you could potentially fall for this, since it's not hard to make a convincing fake Card-Dex entry. The punishment is severe, but I wouldn't doubt some people actually tried this, just as I've encountered people who refuse to let their opponents see their cards under the assumption of "You should know these things."

Remember the rule of art-backed sleeves? I was indirectly responsible for that. For the tournament right before the rules were made, I created my own sleeve design: I took the standard transparent sleeves, made 60 identical copies of a picture of Ron Stoppable and Rufus from Kim Possible, and inserted them into each sleeve in my deck along with their cards. Thus, I made custom KP art backs. The idea that very slight modifications the judges might not be able to see came about through this. My custom artbacks were allowed after some time and some discussion, and I guess the ruling became a "no" after the end of the tournament.

FireMeowth said:
I love this rule! <3
Mainly because I'm not affected by it. And probably because I'm evil. Shame on me. >:

Yeah, I'm not affected by this either. I have nothing but English language cards from the legal sets. I prefer to be able to read directly what it says on my cards. That, and I buy booster packs the traditional way: from a department store, like Target.

I also benefit from this ruling because if I happen across a high-in-demand card I don't want, I can sell it for a higher price.

The Power of Three said:
The fact that they're not banning English cards ANYWHERE..even in Spain/France/Japan/whatever.

THis, however, I do outright disagree with. All of the European language versions have the same back of the cards as the English version. That they're restricting cards to only the native language of the country they play in while allowing English to be worldwide reeks of Americentrism.

Catbus said:
Funny they'd mess with things just as pokemon TCG is becoming so popular again. Maybe they know what they're doing...like those guys that invented New Coke!!

The big difference is that New Coke was created because the market tests proved that people preferred the taste of New Coke over the old Coke. New Coke was made as a direct attempt to try to outdo Pepsi, which was rapidly gaining ground on Coca-Cola. The one oversight Coca-Cola made was that America, as a whole, is very resistant to cultural change, especially something as big as Coca-Cola.

Po-Po-Pocchama said:
I've stopped using Foreign Cards in Novemeber, most people now can't afford the game because of the ridiculous english box ratios. That's why they buy japanese.

3 Palkia G
3 Dialga G
5 Toxicroak G
3 Blaziken
2 Ampharos
3 Blastoise
2 Delcatty
6 Crobat G
1 Palkia G Lv.X
2 Drapion Lv.X
1 Dialga G Lv.X
1 Lotad SH
1 Electabuzz
1 Scyther

1 Swablu SH---x
1 Scyther---x

Keep in mind I received 3 times the amount of Platinum packs compared to the amount of GC packs I got.

If you ever wonder why people buy Japanese over English take a look at those comparisons, maybe then will you understand.

This. I'm not a player anymore (last time I played was the original days of Base/Jungle/Fossil, that and my area has no league and thus no common base to find other players) but I certainly do collect. I loathe english box pulls for the fact that they are crap.

DPt2 Limit to the Bonds of Time. Between 40 packs (2 boxes) I pulled 11URs (6 of which were Level X)
DPt3 Beat of the Frontier. Again, 40 packs (2 boxes) I pulled every UR bar RayquazaC Lv.X and Shiny Yanma. Again, a lot of level X cards right there.

VS.

DP7 Stormfront. 1 Booster Box (36 packs). Standard current US box pulls for URs. So 2 Lv.X, 1 reprint, 1 Shiny and 1 Secret Line. I missed 5 holos from the main set, and a lot of gaps in the rares. That's terrible considering that 2 DPt3 boxes pulled me 98/100 cards and that's only 4 more packs.
Pt1 Platinum. From the 20 odd packs I've bought? Around 4 Holos, 1 Vulpix Shiny, No Lv.X

If PUSA are going to pull a move like this, they need to change the pack and box ratio so the english player base of the TCG has a higher pull rate. This will be a godsend to both collectors and players. The price of single level x cards in english is insane enough as it is (even some on-season holos and rares too) from my perspective as just a collector. I dread you poor guys who play and need MULTIPLES.

I don't know why I find this ruling distressing. I honestly think it's just not fair, but that's just my opinion.

Yeah, they should have paired this announcement with another announcement saying they are going to be fair with their box ratios from now on.

Water Pokémon Master said:
Yeah, they should have paired this announcement with another announcement saying they are going to be fair with their box ratios from now on.

Pretty much, it might have sweetened the blow to the gut XD

I guess I'm reaping another benefit: Fewer of the top players to deal with. I just make a deck out of whatever cards I can find, then go to a tournament with them and cross my fingers. I never make it above the middle ranks, though I honestly don't care where I place, as long as I face interesting opponents. The further up to the top, from what I've noticed, the more alike people behave. By eliminating the most serious players from this thing, this'll spell a greater variety in the people I'll come across.

The way I see it, many of you who do not care about the ruling then good for you. You people have the luxury of getting the cards you need for your deck. Please think about people like us. I'm a budget guy and spend only about $15 a month on cards excluding tournament fees. Now some mathcraft.

Platinum has about 6 lvl x's. Now, if we get a random 1-2 lvl'xs then we have a chance of getting a card we want {Shaymin x} of around 1 in 3 boxes. Now guess. How did a guy like me get his cards to make that obscenely expensive leafeon deck? People go buy jap packs then I trade with them. So, if jap were to be banned then they would get worser pulls then what would happen to me and the rest?

If they were to ban jap cards, at least allow jap sets below 1st of September to be used during tournaments. That's way the impact wouldn't be so great. But less people would be playing during that time I guarantee it.

I never got any Lv. X's from Platinum from any booster packs that I bought, but it doesn't deter me from entering tournaments. Nearly all of my Lv. X cards are tin Lv. X's.

I'm not rich. As a matter of fact, I'm poor. My lack of money means I know how to stretch the usage of limited supplies as far as it can go, and that's what I do for these tournaments. For instance, after a bunch of Majestic Dawn packs a while back, I used a Bronzong-Aerodactyl deck for the Pasadena State Championships, as these were the only cards I had enough of that had any synergy at all.

viper.fox said:
Po-Po-Pocchama said:

3 Palkia G
3 Dialga G
5 Toxicroak G
3 Blaziken
2 Ampharos
3 Blastoise
2 Delcatty
6 Crobat G
1 Palkia G Lv.X
2 Drapion Lv.X
1 Dialga G Lv.X
1 Lotad SH
1 Electabuzz
1 Scyther

1 Swablu SH---x
1 Scyther---x

This. I'm not a player anymore (last time I played was the original days of Base/Jungle/Fossil, that and my area has no league and thus no common base to find other players) but I certainly do collect. I loathe english box pulls for the fact that they are crud.

DPt2 Limit to the Bonds of Time. Between 40 packs (2 boxes) I pulled 11URs (6 of which were Level X)
DPt3 Beat of the Frontier. Again, 40 packs (2 boxes) I pulled every UR bar RayquazaC Lv.X and Shiny Yanma. Again, a lot of level X cards right there.

VS.

DP7 Stormfront. 1 Booster Box (36 packs). Standard current US box pulls for URs. So 2 Lv.X, 1 reprint, 1 Shiny and 1 Secret Line. I missed 5 holos from the main set, and a lot of gaps in the rares. That's terrible considering that 2 DPt3 boxes pulled me 98/100 cards and that's only 4 more packs.
Pt1 Platinum. From the 20 odd packs I've bought? Around 4 Holos, 1 Vulpix Shiny, No Lv.X

If PUSA are going to pull a move like this, they need to change the pack and box ratio so the english player base of the TCG has a higher pull rate. This will be a godsend to both collectors and players. The price of single level x cards in english is insane enough as it is (even some on-season holos and rares too) from my perspective as just a collector. I dread you poor guys who play and need MULTIPLES.

I don't know why I find this ruling distressing. I honestly think it's just not fair, but that's just my opinion.

I couldn't agree more.

Ophie said:
The Power of Three said:
The fact that they're not banning English cards ANYWHERE..even in Spain/France/Japan/whatever.

THis, however, I do outright disagree with. All of the European language versions have the same back of the cards as the English version. That they're restricting cards to only the native language of the country they play in while allowing English to be worldwide reeks of Americentrism.
French sets, for example, come out on average one set after their American counterparts. I think they have their Stormfront prereleases now (or they could already be over), I won French LA boosters in France last time I played there.
French cards are also full of mistranslations (Rotom can attach special energies as well, for example).

So basically, everyone in France plays English cards to compete with the rest of Europe, and the only reason they usually have French cards in their deck is because they win them at tournaments. If you ban English cards in Europe (except the UK of course), there would be NO MORE organized play.

But now, the French will have to play an all-English deck (as will the rest of Europe) if they want to go to tournaments across the border (and trust me, we all do this). This is ridiculous, as they will now have to buy ALL their cards and boosters and throw away the cards they win.

I sincerely hope that PUSA reworks the rare card ratio of the english boosters.

Making Lv X's and other strong cards more common would not decrease the interest on the game - on the opposite, we would have the chance to complete more decks at once, without having to spend gigantic ammounts on one or two cards. Japanese cards have a better rare ratio, and you don't see japanese kids stopping buying.

The way I see it, many of you who do not care about the ruling then good for you. You people have the luxury of getting the cards you need for your deck. Please think about people like us. I'm a budget guy and spend only about $15 a month on cards excluding tournament fees. Now some mathcraft.
You aren't the only one like that. I save my money to buy one or two boosters when I have the chance, and mind you, boosters are much more expensive here in Brazil due to importation taxes and etc.

It's true that japanese cards were benefitial to all those players that bought them, we have had enough proofs; however, if you keep stating that you got 10 Lv X's on japanese booster and none on the english ones, nothing will change. I think we should focus on the future, and as I stated above, hope that PUSA reworks the rare ratios.

Also, out of topic, but who made your avatar, Ice Espeon?

this is like THE most person thing ever... so Everyone else is allowed to use english cards, yet we can't use japanese... I have never had a game that was slowed due to mine, or my opponent's japanese cards. I understand if you don't have a translation you shouldn't be allowed to use it, but when i'm sitting there with 3 copies of a card in japanese and the english version on the side so my opponent can see, there shouldn't be a problem...

Back