(1) Bye-Bye Japanese Cards! [4/3]

good thing that i only have one japanese card, but if you have the translation with you you should be able to play it.

It's fine, Pokemon can do what they want, but this will kill sales by a ton..
Think about it they make 25 bucks at prerelease sure but think how much money you spend when you have 20 bucks in your pocket and the 3 round is not for another 10 minutes and they have a great 10.00 for 3 deal going you can't help but buy things. Now they though they would do this." W3 2h0u1d l13k b4n f0r31ng c4rd2 b/c l13k 1t l13k w1ll l13k 1ncr3423 24l32,, l13k".
But if we don't have the cards to play our decks because our ratios suck then we can't go. They really suck im not going to lie.

Ophie said:
I guess I'm reaping another benefit: Fewer of the top players to deal with. I just make a deck out of whatever cards I can find, then go to a tournament with them and cross my fingers. I never make it above the middle ranks, though I honestly don't care where I place, as long as I face interesting opponents. The further up to the top, from what I've noticed, the more alike people behave. By eliminating the most serious players from this thing, this'll spell a greater variety in the people I'll come across.

Actually I think it will have the opposite effect. The casual and budget players will leave.

agreed. Hard Core players won't leave, because they have the money to buy the cards they need. But little kids who are new to the game will get swamped even more because they can't go get these cards.

And my Uxie X is japenese :(

omahanime said:
Ophie said:
I guess I'm reaping another benefit: Fewer of the top players to deal with. I just make a deck out of whatever cards I can find, then go to a tournament with them and cross my fingers. I never make it above the middle ranks, though I honestly don't care where I place, as long as I face interesting opponents. The further up to the top, from what I've noticed, the more alike people behave. By eliminating the most serious players from this thing, this'll spell a greater variety in the people I'll come across.

Actually I think it will have the opposite effect. The casual and budget players will leave.

That is flawed. Think about it, will casual players go through all that work just to get JPN cards and their card-dexes? It sounds something that hard core and dedicated players will do.

SuicidalPikachu said:
agreed. Hard Core players won't leave, because they have the money to buy the cards they need. But little kids who are new to the game will get swamped even more because they can't go get these cards.

It's opposite. The hard core players will get pissed off that they SPENT money to buy japanese cards since they care more for the game than casual cards. Duting this economy, I don't think hard core players will respend money for their japanese cards to be turned into their english counterparts.

Water Pokémon Master said:
Yeah, they should have paired this announcement with another announcement saying they are going to be fair with their box ratios from now on.

AGREED!

I wouldve been fine if they did that. But sadly I still think they're still doing the same bogus boxes as always. I collect more than play, but I still like having a lot of hard-hitting cards.

You know it seems like POP and PUSA do things in a way that make it seem like people shouldn't know about the way Japan does stuff.
They think people know nothing about what happens in japan.
Well POP is going to be upset when they see a number drop in September.

(Randy) said:
You know it seems like POP and PUSA do things in a way that make it seem like people shouldn't know about the way Japan does stuff.
They think people know nothing about what happens in japan.
Well POP is going to be upset when they see a number drop in September.

I really could not agree more.
Stop trying to pull the wool over our eyes, POP and PUSA

To me it is better because of the translations to english, The only bad part is that all the people who bought japanese cards because they are cheaper to use in tournaments might have a problem.

By the way, this is nothing compared to what Wizards of the Coast does with their rarities. Nintendo directly inherited the rarity system from Wizards of the Coast, so this was originally the fault of Wizards.

Have you seen what goes in packs of Magic: The Gathering or Legend of the Five Rings or even The Simpsons TCG? They don't even have standard numbers of each rarity. Cards denoted as "Rare" come in about 1 in 5 packs or so. When you buy a pack of any of these card games, you're most likely to get nothing but Common cards front to back, which until recently were barely even playable and couldn't compete with super-rare cards. Look up stuff about the card "Black Lotus" to see for yourself--a friend of mine, when we were in high school, spent a few years trying to get this and couldn't. Black Lotus gives a big advantage to whoever plays it.

Not that I'm saying you guys should be happy about this, but I get the feeling some of you guys were spoiled by how you could get rare cards left and right when in fact this is an unusual case among card games.

Riskbreakers said:
omahanime said:
Ophie said:

That is flawed. Think about it, will casual players go through all that work just to get JPN cards and their card-dexes? It sounds something that hard core and dedicated players will do.

SuicidalPikachu said:

It's opposite. The hard core players will get mad off that they SPENT money to buy japanese cards since they care more for the game than casual cards. Duting this economy, I don't think hard core players will respend money for their japanese cards to be turned into their english counterparts.

I believe that the supply of desireable cards will not go up, but demand for them will. Thereby causing a price increase on the desireable cards. If you are a casual or a person on a budget, how do justify the added expense. The dedicated player is already committing alot of money to playing, I think they are more apt to find a way to afford the increase.

Here is my 2 Euro cents (accounted for being in Germany)
This doesn't affect me. Apart from the Pikachu set and now a LA booster in German, I have no foreign cards. I don't have the means or the want to import. This might help me take on the competitive nature a little better, although I doubt it'll have a visible effect.
However, the principal behind it and what it really means is utterly attrocious. The fact that they're banning Japanese Cards not just in the UK, Oz and the US but the ENTIRE WORLD bar Japan for profit is ridiculous. How they give us an excuse is beyond comprehension. I also feel sick to the stomach that English is kept in all nations as well as the national language, it feels very McDonalds-esque, even though English is still quite big in Europe, as most countries learn it quite early and it runs parallel to their own language (at least from what I've seen in Germany).

Still, as long as it doesn't affect me, I can sell my soul to the devil that is PUSA

This is just ridiculous. They only care about ripping off people, not bettering the game.

The prizes keep getting worse, the cards more expensive and policies restrictive. All so that they can make more money, because they definitely aren't getting enough as is.

Boycott, anyone?

omahanime said:
I believe that the supply of desireable cards will not go up, but demand for them will. Thereby causing a price increase on the desireable cards. If you are a casual or a person on a budget, how do justify the added expense. The dedicated player is already committing alot of money to playing, I think they are more apt to find a way to afford the increase.

However, the casual players, like myself, buy the cards from regular brick-and-mortar stores like Target, Toys R Us, Wal•Mart, Walgreen's, and so forth. I highly doubt the retailers would raise the prices of these cards because much of the people who buy these won't even be aware that this new restriction is taking place--they're mostly people who just want to find something to play with their friends that isn't Yu-Gi-Oh. That and the fundamental business practice of competition--these stores are in direct competition with each other. Many are located in the same shopping complex. As they can get new shipments from Nintendo as often as they want, there's no scarcity. That means their desire to undercut prices to lure shoppers away from their competition will override any perceived increased demand.

Prices for individual cards and collectors items will increase, but these aren't people who will necessarily even come near these hobby shops or sites, let alone shop in them.

I never used Japanese cards to play, so this isn't really affecting me at all. I can understand it being rather annoying for those with them in decks who do not have the English translations.

Back