(1) English Names Revealed for Latest Batch of News, New Type Changes [9/13]

Kitana Coldfire said:
maybe its final evolution uses its developed powers to protect and speed the growth of trees?

Sounds more like something a Grass type would do (to me at least). As for the whole of your second paragraph, I don't feel that's the direction the theme is going in? It says Braixen has the branch as a comfort thing, and it also uses it for attacks. I don't see a forest fire theme or any hint that it cares about forests and trees.
To me it's more like a cat playing with a toy fish. Or someone wearing a symbol on a necklace that represents something they're nostalgic about. (at least, that's the closest comparison I can come up with) EDIT:; Or Farfetch'd with its Leek/Cubone with its bone.

Another Edit: If not a Grass type, then it seems Xerneas would be more about protecting life and speeding the growth of plants?

Lex said:
Kitana Coldfire said:
maybe its final evolution uses its developed powers to protect and speed the growth of trees?

Sounds more like something a Grass type would do (to me at least). As for the whole of your second paragraph, I don't feel that's the direction the theme is going in? It says Braixen has the branch as a comfort thing, and it also uses it for attacks. I don't see a forest fire theme or any hint that it cares about forests and trees.
To me it's more like a cat playing with a toy fish. Or someone wearing a symbol on a necklace that represents something they're nostalgic about. (at least, that's the closest comparison I can come up with) EDIT:; Or Farfetch'd with its Leek/Cubone with its bone.

Another Edit: If not a Grass type, then it seems Xerneas would be more about protecting life and speeding the growth of plants?

Just thought I would throw the idea out there is all. It's just fun speculation for now anyway ^^

Kitana Coldfire said:
Lex said:

Just thought I would throw the idea out there is all. It's just fun speculation for now anyway ^^

I didn't mean to shoot your idea down or anything. ;_; I just saw you say:
>Majority of post discusses Fennekin's potential inspiration
>Starts a debate about shiny legitimacy
My work here is done, it seems xD
and since you brought it up again:
In relation to the Braixen name discussion, I'm going to quote the part of my previous post that's relevant (Although, I like the idea that its a combination of Braise + Vixen too):

I got the impression you wanted an opinion on your theory or hoped it would spark discussion based on it. <=) Sorry if I was wrong.

signofzeta said:
Fire is, well it's a stick. Cavemen use sticks. Braixen's stick is not confirmed to be a wand yet. It is stated that Braixen lights the stick on fire, not wave it around like a wand.

Any speculation, no matter how wild, or how much you think is true is all baseless until we see the final evolved forms. I really want to see the final evolved forms already.

From the games' site:
"Braixen will occasionally wield the branch in battle and use friction to light it on fire".
I'm thinking that the creators mixed a lot of ideas when creating Braixen, be it in the name (whether it's a mix of portuguese and french words) and look (witch, stick, wand, broom). The fact that the stick is more of a torch than a wand keeps leading me to the Inquisition and the irony of a witch-inspired Pokémon setting sticks on fire like some person of a mob.

I can imagine a slew of Monty Python jokes and concerned parents thinking that Pokemon promotes witchcraft.

This shall be fun.

Lex said:
and since you brought it up again:
In relation to the Braixen name discussion, I'm going to quote the part of my previous post that's relevant (Although, I like the idea that its a combination of Braise + Vixen too):

I got the impression you wanted an opinion on your theory or hoped it would spark discussion based on it. <=) Sorry if I was wrong.

Oh I did, I was just exhausted last night and wasn't thinking straight, sorry.

I agree that the tree growth idea seems more like a grass-type attibute, but considering that this generation seems to be based on the Nordic tree of life myth, I thought it might be an interesting tie in.

Additionally, in some European areas, foxes are known as witch's familiars (like a black cat). And in Finland, the auroa borealis is known as Revontulet, or 'fox fire'

Pokewiz1999 said:
Tyrunt is offended.

A t-rex finally (Sorry but Tyrannitar does not count) And . . . wait, another sauropod? Do we really need another?

We already have Tropius and Meganium for that, what we do not have enough of are ankylosaurs, actually Tyrunt would have been better off paired with a ceratopsian dinosaur like pokemon (I.E Triceratops styracasaurus or something like that)

Also Pyroar is a lot better for a lion than the Shinx line. The female Pyroar looks a lot more like a female lion (the females still have a smaller mane of hair than the males, we just do not call it a mane)

DNA said:
I can imagine a slew of Monty Python jokes and concerned parents thinking that Pokemon promotes witchcraft.

This shall be fun.

I thought we already had the "pokemon promotes cults and devil worship" thing happen in the 90's. My parents didn't let me play because of those rumors blatant lies. But now I'm moved out and play and also buy my siblings pokemon related gifts for Christmas whenever I can. They like it and my parents are less crazy now so everyone is happy.

Terack said:
DNA said:

This shall be fun.

I thought we already had the "pokemon promotes cults and devil worship" thing happen in the 90's. My parents didn't let me play because of those rumors blatant lies.

Though that is true, that doesn't mean it won't happen again.

I am sure the new J.K Rowling film will be distracting enough fodder for propaganda spewing fanatics to complain about, Fennekin's witch theme would require a tiny bit more research to find.

DNA said:
Terack said:
I thought we already had the "pokemon promotes cults and devil worship" thing happen in the 90's. My parents didn't let me play because of those rumors blatant lies.

It already started in a way.

http://familiaralien.tumblr.com/post/61197151192/pikuna-rapturesbeak-this-is-grossly-sexist

Baktwerel said:

http://familiaralien.tumblr.com/post/61197151192/pikuna-rapturesbeak-this-is-grossly-sexist

1301967017944.jpg

/thread

DNA said:

This shall be fun.

The second has already happened. Ironically what they do not realize is what just about every pokemon are based on. Folklore of the world, so yeah there are gonna be references to witchcraft.

Also Meowstic, punny name, very punny. I also like the idea of the male and female of the species almost being considered to be two separate pokemon, guess we have never seen anything like that before oh wait, never mind, the Nidoran line (which by now should make the kanto pokedex have just one less number but that hasn't happened probably due to nostalgic reasons).

Pyroar, now that is how a lion pokemon should be, sorry Shinx, you were good while it lasted but we have a real lion now. Also the pokemon that looked like an Absol is now revealed to be a poodle pokemon.
Now we know the stage two forms of the Kalos starters and Chespin's evo looks uh . . . yeah . . . *crosses chespin of list of who to start with unless its final evolution is revealed soon*

And if Garchomp were not bad enough already now we have a Mega Garchomp, decreased speed but increased attack and special attack. Really gamefreak?

Tyrunt looks cool, I wonder what it will look like when it evolves, however amaura looks like gamefreak took a MLP character and turned it into a dinosaur. I love how Tyrunt is revived from the jaw fossil because the dinosaur it seems to be based on (the t-rex) is well known for its huge bite force and its ability is just icing on the cake.

DNA said:
Baktwerel said:

1301967017944.jpg

/thread

Hahaha! That response won this thread x,D *hands you and Weavile cookies*

Baktwerel said:
DNA said:

Hahahaha that is ridiculous.

I talked to someone who wasn't letting their kid watch Pokemon because of Ghosts and Witches. I asked them if they were offended by The Christmas Carol and The Wizard of Oz too (with Glinda the good witch) and they withdrew their objections.

Terack said:

I believe it all started when an uninformed parent/etc. opposed to MTG found out pokemon cards were being printed by the same card manufacturer (leading to the "frog in the pot" analogy, which was broken because MTG was first and had no logical progression from other games like Pokemon) and the faulty conclusion that the games must have had the same creator too. Furthermore, some early incidents with physical harm being inflicted over the cards just seemed to reinforce the idea that pokemon was as evil as the rumors indicated.

My parents are STILL hostilely opposed to the entire franchise despite my numerous (and well backed) presentation of the truth behind the games' distinctly separate origins and drastically different style/underlying themes/etc. I only get by playing because I don't own/play the TCG and they "let me learn from my own mistakes". Don't get me wrong though. Most of the time parents are reasonable about what they alow and don't. Pokemon is just one of the grey areas (in most instances I have heard about) and has the most rumors circulating, so it's not surprising that cautious parents might over-react, whether for religious reasons or not (It's also unfair, IMO, to judge the religion(s) based on the (over)reaction of some of its(/their) members). Frankly, I don't really regret anything my parents prevented me from doing. Sure I didn't fully get into pokemon until 18, but it's not like it really hurt me.

DNA said:
I see your Osha-wut, and I raise you this.

Though, as long as overreacting parents continue to exist, so too will these arguments. I kinda feel sorry for the children of these parents, I really do. It's like they're stuck in a bubble.

I can't even begin to explain my distaste for parents that don't let their kids do anything Pokemon. One of my best friends has these exact kind of parents. They are extremely religious and think Pokemon is satanic. He told me his mom said that one night she had a dream where Jesus was telling her that Pokemon will make her kid do sinful things and was bad. That was the end of Pokemon for a LONG time for my friend. This makes me want to headbutt a cactus.
My friend is EXTREMELY sheltered, too. I really do feel sorry for kids that end up that way because their parents feel they have to protect their kids from every little thing and never let them learn on their own or have a taste of reality.

Baktwerel said:
DNA said:

Facehoof.jpg

I was dying to use this...

When I was reading that bullshit, I thought of meowstic, and the guy answering thought of it too.

Are people so stupid that they reaally freak out because of a gender dimorphism that's present in a real life creature? are lions sexist too for being that way?

Zielo said:
DNA said:
I see your Osha-wut, and I raise you this.

Though, as long as overreacting parents continue to exist, so too will these arguments. I kinda feel sorry for the children of these parents, I really do. It's like they're stuck in a bubble.

I can't even begin to explain my distaste for parents that don't let their kids do anything Pokemon. One of my best friends has these exact kind of parents. They are extremely religious and think Pokemon is satanic. He told me his mom said that one night she had a dream where Jesus was telling her that Pokemon will make her kid do sinful things and was bad. That was the end of Pokemon for a LONG time for my friend. This makes me want to headbutt a cactus.
My friend is EXTREMELY sheltered, too. I really do feel sorry for kids that end up that way because their parents feel they have to protect their kids from every little thing and never let them learn on their own or have a taste of reality.

It is a shame. I was on the receiving end of that but for some reason was still allowed to watch Digimon which I now find strange since Devimon and Impmon had prominent parts in that series. That and Digimon was way darker/bleak overall than pokemon has ever been. My parents probably just jumped on the bandwagon with that one.
I am glad they're done with that now though as my siblings play and watch pokemon regularly.

Wow you guys had weird parents, who in their right mind would think Pokemon was evil or satanic, like lolwut. I was born and then as far as I can remember I had pokemon cards and my favorite show was pokemon.

Back