(1) Meanings for Reshiram and Zekrom's Names - Clues for 'Black' and 'White?' [5/30]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im still sticking by my idea that Reshiram is the guardian of the Heavens while Zekrom is the ruler of the underworld.

And for everyone that says ''oh but all the religous groups'' Blah blah. We have a God Pokemon. They would have had a problem with that too. But they did it anyway. Its the only way to go.

samhain88 said:
Im still sticking by my idea that Reshiram is the guardian of the Heavens while Zekrom is the ruler of the underworld.

And for everyone that says ''oh but all the religous groups'' Blah blah. We have a God Pokemon. They would have had a problem with that too. But they did it anyway. Its the only way to go.

Great point!
There are plenty of games out there that deal with heaven and hell...heck, one of my personal favorite games, Sonic Adventure 2, has both "angel" and "devil" chao, as well as a "heaven garden" and a "hell garden"...
It's not that big of a deal.

viper.fox said:
I still sit on the side of not wanting or not seeing a need FOR a light type. We already have psychic which is basically the exact opposite of Dark types, thus works as an effective 'light' counter. Remember, Light (Pokemon Name) in the TCG was originally Good (Pokemon Name) until the english translations meddled it around. Good and Bad/Evil Pokemon. Not Light and Dark.

You forget that, in Japan, the word for the actual Dark type (in the games) is the word for Bad/Evil as well, and yet the TCG still felt the need to make a distinction between Dark Type and Dark Pokemon, in the same way they could/would have if there was a Light type to go with the Light Pokemon.

More importantly, so many people against the idea of a "Light" type oppose it strictly because we "already have a counter to Dark" and that's simply not the case.

First is the obvious fact that Psychic is strong against Dark and thus, not its equal. A theoretical "Light" type would have to perfectly balance the Dark type, and I don't mean "be strong against it". I mean actually balance it - like Light and Dark, Good and Bad, Yin and Yang are perfectly balanced in real life. To have one side stronger against the other would be giving bias to either Light/Goodness or Dark/Badness, and doing that would be based purely on religious biases and Pokemon doesn't do that. Light and Dark would have to either both be super-effective, ineffective, or neutral against each other - any other way wouldn't make sense. That way the delicate balance they've created with Dark and the other types wouldn't be harmed. If they really wanted to "balance" things out though, they could make Light weak to Poison and Psychic and strong against Fighting. For one, Poison needs a new strength desperately and by making Light weak against Psychic but strong against Fighting a perfect inverse of the Dark-type could be created - an idea which I think would be very fitting.

The second point is the fact that Psychic is simply not a substitute for "Light" type. If we're going with the assumption that "Light" means goodness and not luminosity or the sun, then the only Pokemon that "should" have been Light type (as of generation 2) are Togepi, Togetic, Chancey and Blissey due to their clearly goodness/kindness-based themes - not Psychic types. So with only four Pokemon holding the idea of a Light-type back, this is hardly any different then the Steel type for Magnemite and Magneton. You might argue that all the references to the Sun should have been Light-type too, but have all the references to the Moon been Dark type? (Answer: No - Cleffa/Clefairy/Clefable, Lunatone, Cresselia).

If they wanted to introduce a Light-type, it wouldn't be that hard. Leave all the existing "good" Pokemon alone and just change the typing of a few older attacks - preferably non-damaging ones. I think a little bit of change would be good for the series, and could lead to a lot of really neat evolution lines. I mean, look how many Pokemon evolve based on kindness (but oddly not from frustration) - I think by diving deeper into this whole good/bad, light/dark thing they could really create some interesting and dynamic gameplay mechanics and new Pokemon.

I just don't understand the hate! :p

EDIT:

Totally random thought here, but if they do introduce a Light type, it might not be the only type. I mean, it's possible they'd only add one - but it's unlikely I'd think. So with that in mind....

Porygon and its evolutions, being made entirely of data and able to travel through cyberspace, should be affected differently by attacks than other Pokemon, no? Maybe a new "Cyber", "Virtual" type could be introduced? Haha - highly unlikely but could lead to some interesting Pokemon. Cyber / Dark (Virus Pokemon) or... wait... this is getting too much like Digimon. :S

What about Deoxys, Cleffa/Clefairy/Clefable, Solrock/Lunatone and Jirachi? They're all from space so why not a new "Space", "Astro", or "Cosmo/Cosmic" type? Maybe I'm going a little too far. :p

Reshiram: With its wings it throws the darkness and lights the sun for morning. At sky bridge, the temparutare is 40C.
Zekrom: Puts darkness in the sky and throws the sun away and puts moon for night. At sky bridge the temparutare is 10.

I really like the theory. I think that this generation will be the best one yet.

RE: (1) Meanings for Reshiram and Zekrom's Names - Clues for 'Black' and 'White?' [5/

Age, I just thought I'd play the analytical idiot here and say that Psychic doesn't affect Dark at all, whereas Dark is super-effective against Psychic (not the other way around).

Not that it affects your argument; your wonderful ideas still hold themselves just as strong. You make very good points (and I've recently been thinking about a 'Cosmic' type, but had never thought about 'Virtual' or 'Cyber.' Those are some neat ideas :>)

Setosama said:
Like it or not, heaven and heck actually IS legendary! And Zekrom is about as mechanical as Dialga OR Palkia!

It's GONNA be heaven and heck! DEAL WITH IT! Makes WAY more sense than Tech VS Organic. And Angels and Demons is over 9000 times more legendary, let alone Epic! :D It's also, in my humble opinion, the only LOGICAL direction Pokemon can go now.

The main characters are older, Ash is like 17 now, (although he still looks like a ten-year-old) and the Characters for these games have also followed suit with this. Pokemon has matured enough for this and a legendary battle between heaven and heck would be AMAZING!
o_O That's AMAZING!! I'd Want That!

They are Yin and Yang. One controls night the other controls darkness. They may have something to do with computers as well.

Setosama said:
I'm gonna go on a limb here as well and predict that Reshiram is going to represent Heaven while Zekrom represents heck.

Reshiram has a variety of Angelic Qualities about it, much like how Zekrom seems somewhat demonic.

But shouldn't we remember that Zekrom is mascot for White, and vice versa? Maybe it's made that way to confuse us and Reshiram is the "evil" one.

RE: (1) Meanings for Reshiram and Zekrom's Names - Clues for 'Black' and 'White?' [5/

Claus said:
Age, I just thought I'd play the analytical idiot here and say that Psychic doesn't affect Dark at all, whereas Dark is super-effective against Psychic (not the other way around).

Not that it affects your argument; your wonderful ideas still hold themselves just as strong. You make very good points (and I've recently been thinking about a 'Cosmic' type, but had never thought about 'Virtual' or 'Cyber.' Those are some neat ideas :>)

Ah, good point. Might need to rethink that one a bit... Poison definitely needs another strength though!

The tails remind me of chess figures.
Could it be that Zekrom is the black king and Reshiram the wihte queen?

Or they are both neutral.
Desperate for the company of the other one. Because they can't survive alone?
It'd be an intresting plot, non? That one of them get's kidnapped by say, team twilight? Then because Yin can't live without Yang, they both would almost die. So you secure the one that they kidnapped, and then there will be peace.

Ageman20XX said:
Ah, good point. Might need to rethink that one a bit... Poison definitely needs another strength though!

I completely agree, and like you had mentioned earlier, if they add a Light type Poison should be super-effective to it.

Since Light in this instance would be taken as 'good' or 'righteousness' or whatnot rather than as actual luminousity, Poison could be taken in the same metaphorical sense - as corruption, a non-literal poison that can soil the quality of goodness. Thus being super-effective to Light.

I'm pretty sure they won't make new types. Probably just new attributes to the pokemon. Pokemon has been going on for years now and it just wouldn't be "tradition" to change the types. Reshiram might represent light, but the closest type that has to do with this pokemon is probably Normal-type.

samhain88 said:

YAY! SOMEBODY ELSE GETS IT TOO! Not to sound like a total jerk, but I posted the idea first! :D

And bringing up Arceus is a GREAT point! They refer to him as "The Original One" in the games. In fact reading those texts in the Sinnoh Library seemed like reading passages of a Pokemon Bible... Sure they called Arceus the "Alpha Pokemon" outside of Japan, but hey! That's another thing I'm saying! If they HAVE gone with representing Heaven and Hell with these dragons, they will simply tone it down just as they tone down the rest of the series outside of Japan. Calling GODS Dieties and what not.

PokéJungle said:
There is no god, it's simply our given right to speculate. :| ばーーーーーーか!

rolleyes.gif
Pretty sad that you feel the need to say that because someone says something is God-given.

Anyways I'm not expecting it to be a good vs bad concept. I think the names will reflect light and darkness as equal opposites that maintain balance by both existing and if either were defeated or captured maybe it'll bring chaos to the universe. Then we have our story for the evil team of the game.

Setosama said:
Dante's Inferno is not rated or going to be in the case of these games "E"

Although, since these characters are older, gamefreak MAY pull a fast one and rate these games "T"... I HIGHLY doubt that will happen though.

Look at Digimon, It has angels & demons in it.

This pic by howelllawson piques my interest. The picture maybe holds true on some part of the relation between the two dragons.

vghjgjfhjg.png

Setosama said:
YAY! SOMEBODY ELSE GETS IT TOO! Not to sound like a total jerk, but I posted the idea first! Big Grin

And bringing up Arceus is a GREAT point! They refer to him as "The Original One" in the games. In fact reading those texts in the Sinnoh Library seemed like reading passages of a Pokemon Bible... Sure they called Arceus the "Alpha Pokemon" outside of Japan, but hey! That's another thing I'm saying! If they HAVE gone with representing Heaven and heck with these dragons, they will simply tone it down just as they tone down the rest of the series outside of Japan. Calling GODS Dieties and what not.

It would be awesome if they made an "Omega Pokemon" this generation. Like a mortal enemy of Arceus or something. And make the name based on Lucifer or Satan or whatnot like "Luceus".

by the way, thanks pokebeach for the rendered pics or Reshiram and Zekrom, it made it easier for me to make a sig.

Setosama said:
Like it or not, heaven and heck actually IS legendary! And Zekrom is about as mechanical as Dialga OR Palkia!

It's GONNA be heaven and heck! DEAL WITH IT! Makes WAY more sense than Tech VS Organic. And Angels and Demons is over 9000 times more legendary, let alone Epic! :D It's also, in my humble opinion, the only LOGICAL direction Pokemon can go now.

The main characters are older, Ash is like 17 now, (although he still looks like a ten-year-old) and the Characters for these games have also followed suit with this. Pokemon has matured enough for this and a legendary battle between heaven and heck would be AMAZING!

I'm not looking for EPIC or anything, pokemon doesn't have to be epic, just pokemon is enough. I'm not backing down and it's not organic vs tech I'm talking about, it's magical (fantastical) vs tech. I just don't see where heaven and hell fit in. I don't think Zekrom look demonic at all, just very cool. Reshiram looks dreamy, not angelic to me.

After reading the front page, I think I'm going to support that theory too about day and night or light and darkness in the sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back