(1) Mega Charizard X Revealed During 'Pokemon Origins' [10/2]

Sheriff_K said:
Dragon Pokémon said:
The only reasons I can think of as to why Charizard exclusively gets both is that it's been voted #1 favorite Pokemon on multiple occasions. I guess they didn't take those who voted Blastoise and Venasaur into consideration :p.
I've always viewed Charizard as the main/iconic Pokemon of Pokemon. The logo if you will..

No, Pikachu doesn't count. Red Version came first! And Blue/Green don't count, because everyone always says: "RED and Blue" or "RED and Green", notice the Red is ALWAYS first! :p

PS. I think the other two will get alternate Mega Evolutions, but Charizard is still the best/most important of the Kanto Starters! :3

As always has been, people like more Charizard because it LOOKS like a dragon (And now in X it's actually one), despise being quite lackluster in the "metagame".

Although It's ironic how Red is always conected to Bulbasaur, not to Charmander. And I don't talk about the Manga only GameFreak felt that way too:

blue-pokemon_39469_2.jpg

What I want to know is if Johto Starters will have Mega.
-----
Now I really think that the Mega Forms are stupid.

If they were normal evolutions for Pokémon that needs them (That means No Mega Blaziken, and yes to FARFETCH'D for God's shake), people could trade X Evolutions for Y evolutions, without giving away something that would make you restart the damn game to obtain again, and make X variant breed X evolutive line Pokémon and the same with Y.

Maeson said:
Now I really think that the Mega Forms are stupid.

If they were normal evolutions for Pokémon that needs them (That means No Mega Blaziken, and yes to FARFETCH'D for God's shake), people could trade X Evolutions for Y evolutions, without giving away something that would make you restart the damn game to obtain again, and make X variant breed X evolutive line Pokémon and the same with Y.
That's what normal Evolutions are for. Mega Evolutions are a way to give new forms to existing strong Pokemon, without allowing them to be able to use Eviolite and become even more overpowered than their new Evolution. Or that's just one reason.. :p

Charizard may have started out as one of the iconic pokemon, and it is still very well known, but I would say that Pikachu is definitely the mascot. Charizard is super awesome and way better than Pikachue, but Pikachu markets better. It's why he's used the most, why he has the most "clones", why he's the most recognizable. You can't really say Charizard "would be" the most recognizable pokemon, because, then it would be. It just isn't.

And with the kids, I don't really think he's AS popular as he used to be. We all live in that nostalgic world, because we grew up with them, and Charizard always was popular. I work with Nintendo's market audience a lot. The ones that play pokemon now, the ones who are 10-13 they grew up on Gen Four. Most of them have never even seen a gameboy advance, yet alone a gameboy colour. They aren't very familiar with the Kanto starters (and the Johto starters? Forget it!). Those who watch the anime know of the Kanto starters... but ask them their favourites and they'll probably tell you Emboar or Torterra. I'm not saying Charizard is irrelevant, and certainly now more kids will know who he is, but even he was fading away in popularity with the new generation.

These new Mega forms were for our generation. We're the ones that EV train, collect, and even battle in tournaments! And they went smart by picking the most loved gen one starter to give two megas two, but there is enough love of the other two that a lot of fans feel hurt and dissapointed, me included. The kanto starters are so on par with eachother that when it came out, most sites, this one included, pretty much assumed second megas were a given for Blastoise and Venusaur.

The thing is, if it was JUST Charizard in the game as an event or exclusive or something it wouldn't bother me as much. It's why just Blaziken never bothered me, it sucks that Swampert doesn't get any love (as far as we know), but it wasn't like Swampert was an important part of the game. We can't catch him and he isn't handed out. But with Charizard, he IS getting handed out in the game with his fellow kanto starters. It feels bizarre that along side of them, he would get even more special treatment.

But I also agree about the Johto starters. I actually think out of all starters, they are the ones that need a mega the most! I predict that Meganium would gain the fairy type with a mega. I'm not sure about the other two, maybe they wouldn't get an extra type at all.

Hmm. Seems pretty cool, i guess. I prefer Mega Charizard Y over X, just because it looks more of a change in appearance from Charizard. And what happens when your Shiny Charizard mega-evolves into this???

PokemonTrainer649 said:
Hmm. Seems pretty cool, i guess. I prefer Mega Charizard Y over X, just because it looks more of a change in appearance from Charizard. And what happens when your Shiny Charizard mega-evolves into this???

This is what I want to know, I hatched so many eggs to get my shiny Charizard, his shiny X-version had better be amazing. White would be pretty cool I guess?

Now that I've calmed down this isn't actually that bad of a design, just the flames coming out of the mouth rendered in 3D seem kinda off looking.

Aerodactyl said:
P.DelSlayer said:
It's not like they're giving more emphasis on one of the most easily recognisable Pokemon to exist.

I am tired, and disapointed, and I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. I sense sarcasm... but I could be wrong. Are you saying that it makes sense to only give Charizard? Because I still think that's a bit flawed...

I mean, easily the most recognizable pokemon is Pikachu. Hands down, so if it's for emphasis, it ought to have been pikachu. And yes, Charizard is up there, but I think Venusaur and Blastoise are pretty equally tied. All this says to me is that they're favouring Charizard because Red has one and Ash has one and they're the "good guys". So instead of favouring the gamers opinion, the ones who will most likely play these games, they're favouring the anime and manga fans. :( I'm not saying they shouldn't have done it, but man, couldn't they have gotten way more bang for their buck with all three? It's just two extra mega's man :(

I don't mean to argue (well, yes I guess I DO mean to argue, rather I don't mean to insult). I mean, if the rumors are true than there is nothing we can do to change it. Nintendo did what they did, I just fail to see how that was a smart decision. Like, at all.

I was being sarcastic.

And lesbionest, Pikachu is basically Pokemons mascot, you could probably go onto a random street anywhere, and ask any nobody a Pokemons name.
It's most likely gonna be Pikachu.

But that doesn't change the fact that Charizard does have more emphasis than Venusaur and Blastoise - look at all the game covers its on etc.
Plus its a fire breathing dragon, most non-Pokemon people are gonna remember that more easily than a cannon tortoise or a plant dinosaur-thing.

I like ChariXard and ChariYard, but I am annoyed that they're shifting it even further into the spotlight where it's always been, and leaving Venusaur and Blastoise.

I also saw something on Youtube, its a reverse triangle with the second Megas of the Kanto starters:
Fire/Dragon
Grass/Fairy
Water/Steel

it's also funny cos if Blastoise gets another one then it just screams to be /Steel

P.DelSlayer said:
I like ChariXard and ChariYard, but I am annoyed that they're shifting it even further into the spotlight where it's always been, and leaving Venusaur and Blastoise.

I also saw something on Youtube, its a reverse triangle with the second Megas of the Kanto starters:
Fire/Dragon
Grass/Fairy
Water/Steel

it's also funny cos if Blastoise gets another one then it just screams to be /Steel

Amen to that, Blastoise should have been steel since the type was introduced. It just makes sense, I mean he has metal protruding from his body for goodness sake!

Seeing a string of secondary Kanto-Mega's would be awesome, especially with that typing. Here's hoping.

My face/reaction when I saw Charizard X: http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bkj3km5vc03l/610x.jpg

Since I wanted to buy X, I'm so gonna pick it. Chespin and Charmander all day! <3

X has been my choice from the start and I love everything about it so far. The only thing is that I like Mega-Mewtwo Y a bit more. Other than that and Chespin's final form (still broken hearted) I have no complaints.

Chespin and Charmander FTW!

SynxS1N said:
P.DelSlayer said:

Fire/Dragon
Grass/Fairy
Water/Steel

Amen to that, Blastoise should have been steel since the type was introduced. It just makes sense, I mean he has metal protruding from his body for goodness sake!

Seeing a string of secondary Kanto-Mega's would be awesome, especially with that typing. Here's hoping.

Steel wasn't introduced until Gen 2. But I agree, I would love to see an addition typing if we see another Mega for the two Kanto starters. Venusaur doesn't scream Fairy to me that much though...

Xputurnameherex said:
Actually it's like trading for shiny legendaries

How? Mega forms aren't nearly as rare as shinies.

Aerodactyl said:
But I also agree about the Johto starters. I actually think out of all starters, they are the ones that need a mega the most! I predict that Meganium would gain the fairy type with a mega. I'm not sure about the other two, maybe they wouldn't get an extra type at all.

Meganium should become Grass/Fairy and Feraligatr should become Water/Dark. I don't think Typhlosion needs a new type.

P.DelSlayer said:
Fire/Dragon
Grass/Fairy
Water/Steel

This is not balanced at all, Mega Charizard X only takes neutral damage from Fairy, and nothing Charizard has is SE against Water/Steel (Fire is neutral and Dragon is x0.5).

Bolt the Cat said:
P.DelSlayer said:
Fire/Dragon
Grass/Fairy
Water/Steel

This is not balanced at all, Mega Charizard X only takes neutral damage from Fairy, and nothing Charizard has is SE against Water/Steel (Fire is neutral and Dragon is x0.5).

Everything can now at least cause neutral damage instead of just being weak to them. Fire on Water/Steel, Fairy on Fire/Dragon, Steel super effective on Grass/Fairy.

nightkeeper said:
Everything can now at least cause neutral damage instead of just being weak to them. Fire on Water/Steel, Fairy on Fire/Dragon, Steel super effective on Grass/Fairy.

In order for it to be balanced, it has to be equal or nearly equal across the board. This is not, Venusaur takes SE damage from both Mega Charizard's Fire moves and Mega Blastoise's Steel moves, whereas Mega Charizard and Mega Blastoise aren't weak to anything any of the other starters have (they're weak to Rock, Ground, and Dragon and Electric, Ground, and Fighting respectively). It gives Venusaur a disadvantage and Charizard and Blastoise too much of an advantage.

Bolt the Cat said:
nightkeeper said:

In order for it to be balanced, it has to be equal or nearly equal across the board. This is not, Venusaur takes SE damage from both Mega Charizard's Fire moves and Mega Blastoise's Steel moves, whereas Mega Charizard and Mega Blastoise aren't weak to anything any of the other starters have (they're weak to Rock, Ground, and Dragon and Electric, Ground, and Fighting respectively). It gives Venusaur a disadvantage and Charizard and Blastoise too much of an advantage.

Well Charizard is already clearly favored over Blastoise and Venusaur, having 2 megas. Blastoise and Venusaur getting another mega would be better then nothing.

nightkeeper said:
SynxS1N said:

Steel wasn't introduced until Gen 2. But I agree, I would love to see an addition typing if we see another Mega for the two Kanto starters. Venusaur doesn't scream Fairy to me that much though...

i know steel came out in gen 2, I'm saying that Blastoise should have been steel from gen 2 on (when steel was introduced).

I agree that fairy might not be preferred but it does complete the chain. I can't even imagine a fairysaur though lol.

First post, don't kill me please :c

To quote my dA journal;
Pokémon Y will focus on further exploring the next evolutionary step for Pokémon.

Pokémon X will focus on further exploring how far we can modify a Pokémon's genetic makeup without losing what makes it what it is.

Click here to read more into it.

Anywho, if my theory is correct, I'd expect Mega Blastoise X to be Water/Steel and be heavily buffed in Defense and Special Defense.
Maybe it loses its cannons in place of a thicker shell or uses 1 single cannon on its back that resembles a more tank-like appearance.

No clue what a Mega Venasaur X could look like...

So, I suppose that now it's "double or nothing" with all other mega-evos, right?... Right?
First of all, I must say that I don't really like this chained version exclusive mega-evolution stuff. If I already didn't liked mega-evolution "per se", now it seems way too much (Mewtwo I sort of accepted because he's a clone, genetics and that but this? Is there an explanation?). Secondly, why the hell does this version seems like a shiny Charizard? Seriously...3 Charizard version...Did we really needed this?
I've seen some "leaked" images of some mega-evos (I was offline for an entire week and I didn't bother to dig deeper into comments and news to not (that much) get spoiled now that I'm back) and if they are to become true then I'll change my mind and think that this generation, while improving some things, then it fell into the pit of lack of creativity. A Pokémon which design was almost, if not, perfect and another one that, like Mawile, needed a true evolution but instead gets a mega-evo and a crappy one...
I really hope that Mega-evo dies with this generation (here's something new: I've never before had the desire to see any mechanic buried along with their debut generation! It does says something).

Leaf_Ranger said:
First of all, I must say that I don't really like this chained version exclusive mega-evolution stuff. If I already didn't liked mega-evolution "per se", now it seems way too much (Mewtwo I sort of accepted because he's a clone, genetics and that but this? Is there an explanation?). Secondly, why the hell does this version seems like a shiny Charizard? Seriously...3 Charizard version...Did we really needed this?

I honestly couldn't agree more. While the version specific Mega Evos are cool, did we really need them? Unless they SERIOUSLY balance it really well, we're gonna see more people get one version than the other.

On Mega Charizard X's design, WHY does it magically change colours that drastically?

Back