(1) Mega Charizard X Revealed During 'Pokemon Origins' [10/2]

Mixie said:
Why does Charizard NEED two Mega forms, isn't one enough? I'm not saying it isn't cool or anything (I do like this one more than the other one) but why show that kind of favoritism to one starter (and a certain Legendary too >.>). It should have only ONE mega form and that's it :(

I really don't think that a lot of the Mega's were needed... it certainly wasn't done out of necessity. It was about giving fresh designs to peoples favorites, so that's why 'mons like Garchomp got them, even thought he was already banned from tournaments. I personally don't mind having two, makes training a charmander way more interesting... do you want the different typing and strength/weakness shift? Do you want the higher special attack with the Y form?

I kind of agree with you in some ways though. I'll admit that I'm getting really bitter about this. I know I'm just being a spoiled brat throwing a temper tantrum but, come one Nintendo! Either give all three kanto starters a second mega or none of them at all and stick with one! You already gave Blaziken a Mega and we have no confirmation on Sceptile or Swampert, do you just like fire starters more????

Hey guys, Mega Charizard X will still receive 4x damage from stealth rock... It doesn't gain the new typing until after switching in and mega evolving.

I'm not sure on how I feel about this. I like Charizard and all, but it doesn't need two forms, especially with the other one being less serperior..or uh superior. Heck, it does look cool, but Y not just have just it instead of two version exclusives?

WOW....

OMFG...

Words can not describe how HAPPY I am!!!
Mega Charizard X has got to be the most AWESOME, COOLEST thing ever made by GF!!! It's just so... I can't describe it... It's beautiful!!
I SWEAR, the moment I saw its design and read that bolded "Fire/Dragon", I actually started jumping on my bed due to how happy I felt!
It looks so cool with the new color scheme, black skin and blue fire, It's almost like you're using a shiny Charizard, but more powerful... and it's a freakin' DRAGON-type... Charizard is finally Dragon-type (even if just temporarily)!!!
This is why I'll never stop liking Pokémon... I don't remember the last time I felt a moment of so much happiness like this! THANK YOU GF!!

Okay, now... Trying to calm down...

I feel bad for M-Charizard-Y, it also looks cool but there's no way I'm gonna waste the opportunity to use M-Charizard-X in-game... Which now creates a dilemma as I want to use Charmander in Y (which will be my main game), not in X... I guess I'll have to choose Charmander in X too, upload it to Pokémon Bank, then send it back with its Mega Stone to Y, so I can restart the game in X and choose the other Kanto starter I want to use...

I don't agree with X gettin' all the cool Megas... I still prefer M2Y over M2X...

Also, now looking at both Charizard's Mega Evos, it does feel a bit like Black Kyurem and White Kyurem again... Charizard X looks bulkier and is physically oriented while Charizard Y is sleeker (even has those arm-wings similar to W-Kyurem), and specially oriented.

btw, I told you Origins would show Charizard Mega Evolving, I knew it... I just didn't know it would be a different one... It was indeed a good surprise... My birthday is in 3 days, I feel like this is my birthday present from GF...

I like this design a bit more than the Y one. Good thing I pre-ordered X :D Though I still like the Y one.
What if they give one starter from each Gen two mega evolutions? Since we haven't seen the others (not saying they're definitely get one) get mega evolutions, it could be a possibility? Though it'd still be unfair to the others I guess....

Frost said:
"X gets Mega Charizard X! X gets everything! I wish I didn't get Y now!" is something I'm seeing a lot. I'm way more jealous of the Y players who get Spritzee's evolution, tbh. :(

There's a difference between Spritzee being version exclusive and these Mega evolutions being version exclusive. Spritzee can (presumably) be infinitely caught and easily bred, it won't be hard to get your hands on one. But the Charizardites seem to be one per game, meaning that in order for you to give one to someone else, you either have to deprive yourself of yours or restart your game. And neither of those scenarios are particularly favorable, meaning people are going to be very stingy about trading Mega Stones. It's like trading for legendaries.

Rion said:
I like this design a bit more than the Y one. Good thing I pre-ordered X :D Though I still like the Y one.
What if they give one starter from each Gen two mega evolutions? Since we haven't seen the others (not saying they're definitely get one) get mega evolutions, it could be a possibility? Though it'd still be unfair to the others I guess....
I'd actually feel a little bit better if they did that, as long as it wasn't just for blaziken and other fire starters. I still want mega blastoise x and y and mega venusaur x and y. What I think Is almost hilarious is that everyone expected to see second mega forms for those two after charizard, which tells me NIntendo really goofed on this one. Hopefully they'll have some DLC updates that introduce new megas for these guys

NotSeen said:
Guys,

some of you were asking for “Where I can watch Pokémon: The Origins?”
I've searched via google and came to this: http://www.animeplus.tv/pokemon-the-origin-special-1
There are first two episodes, althought the first is bit unsynchronized (video is “slower” then sound). In the second episode it seems alright.

Have a nice day with Pokémon anime special ;-)

Mr. Fuji gave Red the mega stones!

Is this subbed?

Mixie said:
Why does Charizard NEED two Mega forms, isn't one enough? I'm not saying it isn't cool or anything (I do like this one more than the other one) but why show that kind of favoritism to one starter (and a certain Legendary too >.>). It should have only ONE mega form and that's it :(

Well it is Mewtwo after all. Kidding, he's just a favorite of mine. :p

I am sure they will release alternate mega forms for other prominent Pokémans.

Bolt the Cat said:
Frost said:
"X gets Mega Charizard X! X gets everything! I wish I didn't get Y now!" is something I'm seeing a lot. I'm way more jealous of the Y players who get Spritzee's evolution, tbh. :(

There's a difference between Spritzee being version exclusive and these Mega evolutions being version exclusive. Spritzee can (presumably) be infinitely caught and easily bred, it won't be hard to get your hands on one. But the Charizardites seem to be one per game, meaning that in order for you to give one to someone else, you either have to deprive yourself of yours or restart your game. And neither of those scenarios are particularly favorable, meaning people are going to be very stingy about trading Mega Stones. It's like trading for legendaries.

Actually it's like trading for shiny legendaries

On topic im getting both x and y so no probs between stones

While I hope other starters get Megas still, along with worthy candidates like Raichu, not a single Mega will even come close to being as cool as Mega Charizard X.

Sheriff_K said:
Anyone else think that maybe, just MAYBE, that that ISN'T it's default coloration? Maybe that's the Shiny Mega Charizard X, and it's only shown with that color because it's Reds Charizard..

Regardless, I pre-ordered Y already, maybe I'll try to trade Stones, but I think both Charizards will have uses.
Y = Weather and not weak to Fairies,
X = Doesn't have crippling Stealth Rock weakness, but is useless versus Fairies (which are overpowered and will probably be the most common Typing in the new meta..)

So in the end, he traded one weakness for another.. :p
No he didn't. Fire resists fairy..

Retro_on_theGo said:
Sheriff_K said:
Anyone else think that maybe, just MAYBE, that that ISN'T it's default coloration? Maybe that's the Shiny Mega Charizard X, and it's only shown with that color because it's Reds Charizard..

Regardless, I pre-ordered Y already, maybe I'll try to trade Stones, but I think both Charizards will have uses.
Y = Weather and not weak to Fairies,
X = Doesn't have crippling Stealth Rock weakness, but is useless versus Fairies (which are overpowered and will probably be the most common Typing in the new meta..)

So in the end, he traded one weakness for another.. :p

Precisely. And it isn't like Fairy is immune to Fire either, so he can still attack Fairies.

And Sheriff_K, he still has 4x Stealth Rock weakness. He switches in as Fire/Flying, and doesn't get a chance to Mega evolve until after Stealth Rock hits.

The thing is, because they're also considered starters, even in this region, you'd really expect equal treatment. I mean, that would be like Fennikin getting a mega form this game, but Froakie and Chespin not.

Anywho, no use complaining anymore. What's done is done. As a matter of opinion, I think that Mega Charizard Y is a little cooler than Xarizard, but they're both really neat and well designed. I just think that Xarizard is a little gimicky looking with fewer aestetic changes other than colour.

nightkeeper said:
Retro_on_theGo said:

Precisely. And it isn't like Fairy is immune to Fire either, so he can still attack Fairies.

And Sheriff_K, he still has 4x Stealth Rock weakness. He switches in as Fire/Flying, and doesn't get a chance to Mega evolve until after Stealth Rock hits.

Assuming you don't lead with the Charizard, or the opponent gets SR up asap. At least Xarizard will only take the SR damage 1 time max, instead of not being able to switch in after 2...

But yeah, this poster explained the pros/cons best:
Rune Yagami said:
Since Fire resists Fairy, Mega Charizard X will be neutral to Fairy-type damage. Mega Charizard Y will be resistant.

For reference:

Mega Charizard X:
2x Weak: Ground, Rock, and Dragon
Neutral: Normal, Water, Ice, Fighting, Poison, Flying, Psychic, Ghost, Dark, and Fairy
1/2x Resistant: Electric, Bug, and Steel
1/4x Resistant: Fire and Grass

Mega Charizard Y:
4x Weak: Rock
2x Weak: Water and Electric
Neutral: Normal, Ice, Poison, Flying, Psychic, Ghost, Dragon, and Dark
1/2x Resistant: Fire, Fighting, Steel, and Fairy
1/4x Resistant: Grass and Bug
Immunity: Ground

As you can see, the typing change is not really beneficial or harmful, with Charizard X losing an immunity but also losing a 4x weakness to Rock (Stealth Rock especially), giving it a bit more sturdiness in battles where switching a lot would be common.

Charizard X's STABs are only both resisted by Marill and Azumarill. They are at least neutral on everything else. However, Charizard can get Metal Claw from breeding in Gen 5, giving this thing perfect neutral coverage.

Charizard Y's STABs are both resisted by 38 different Pokemon, including the ever-present Tyranitar. You won't be wanting to use this guy without Earthquake for coverage. With Earthquake, only Archen, Archeops, and Aerodactyl won't take neutral damage from Charizard.

Just some thoughts. :)
I personally think Xarizard will be used in Singles, and Yarizard in Doubles/Aerial.

Charizard X made made switch my pre-order to X :p

Rally loving this twist on my favorite Pokemon! FINALLY my favorite Pokemon and my favorite type are one. I am at peace now. I'm going to sleep at the bottom of the ocean. Wake me up on the 12th.

As for Venasaur and Blastoise, they deserve second mega-evolutions as well. The only reasons I can think of as to why Charizard exclusively gets both is that it's been voted #1 favorite Pokemon on multiple occasions. I guess they didn't take those who voted Blastoise and Venasaur into consideration :p. Hopefully, we'll get the other two as megas based of their shiny colorations as well. Though I'm a charizard fan, I feel bad for those picking the other two. It's weird that they'd give Charizard this kind of extra attention even though he's considered equal to the other two as you have to pick one of three. I guess that at least Blastoise has a cool new ability, but the lack of either Venasaur or Blastoise changing types sucks.

Charizard X is more my style than Y. I love the color and it's appearance is so much more brutal and vicious than it's Y counterpart. The ability and typing also fits meets my preference of dragons and more physical, powerhouse-styled battle strategy.

Just hope we get a glitch to lock Pokemon into mega-evolutions...#NoPatches

Dragon Pokémon said:
The only reasons I can think of as to why Charizard exclusively gets both is that it's been voted #1 favorite Pokemon on multiple occasions. I guess they didn't take those who voted Blastoise and Venasaur into consideration :p.
I've always viewed Charizard as the main/iconic Pokemon of Pokemon. The logo if you will..

No, Pikachu doesn't count. Red Version came first! And Blue/Green don't count, because everyone always says: "RED and Blue" or "RED and Green", notice the Red is ALWAYS first! :p

PS. I think the other two will get alternate Mega Evolutions, but Charizard is still the best/most important of the Kanto Starters! :3

Like, I didn't even start liking Blastoise until seeing how op he was in the TCG <_<
But his current MegaEvo is FUGLY... -.-

Dragon Pokémon said:

Rally loving this twist on my favorite Pokemon! FINALLY my favorite Pokemon and my favorite type are one. I am at peace now. I'm going to sleep at the bottom of the ocean. Wake me up on the 12th.

As for Venasaur and Blastoise, they deserve second mega-evolutions as well. The only reasons I can think of as to why Charizard exclusively gets both is that it's been voted #1 favorite Pokemon on multiple occasions. I guess they didn't take those who voted Blastoise and Venasaur into consideration :p. Hopefully, we'll get the other two as megas based of their shiny colorations as well. Though I'm a charizard fan, I feel bad for those picking the other two. It's weird that they'd give Charizard this kind of extra attention even though he's considered equal to the other two as you have to pick one of three. I guess that at least Blastoise has a cool new ability, but the lack of either Venasaur or Blastoise changing types sucks.

Charizard X is more my style than Y. I love the color and it's appearance is so much more brutal and vicious than it's Y counterpart. The ability and typing also fits meets my preference of dragons and more physical, powerhouse-styled battle strategy.

Couldn't agree more with any aspect of your post. While I love its new Fire/Dragon typing, its design is what I still can't get over. This may be a weird reference but when I buy clothing or shoes, I always go for black and blue because that is what appeals to me the most. Seeing Charizard with a black body and blue flames/details is ridiculously satisfying. It was already top 5 of my favorite for sure (probably just behind Arcanine) but definitely with this new look moves to #1.

As for Blastoise and Venusaur, it doesn't do them much justice if they don't get another mega. You seem pretty adamant that they won't which confuses me cause I didn't see anything confirming they wouldn't... But if a type change were to happen, I wouldn't really see anything happening to Venusaur. So what about Blastoise, Water/Steel, Water/Rock, etc?

nightkeeper said:
Dragon Pokémon said:

Couldn't agree more with any aspect of your post. While I love its new Fire/Dragon typing, its design is what I still can't get over. This may be a weird reference but when I buy clothing or shoes, I always go for black and blue because that is what appeals to me the most. Seeing Charizard with a black body and blue flames/details is ridiculously satisfying. It was already top 5 of my favorite for sure (probably just behind Arcanine) but definitely with this new look moves to #1.

As for Blastoise and Venusaur, it doesn't do them much justice if they don't get another mega. You seem pretty adamant that they won't which confuses me cause I didn't see anything confirming they wouldn't... But if a type change were to happen, I wouldn't really see anything happening to Venusaur. So what about Blastoise, Water/Steel, Water/Rock, etc?

People lucky enough to get review copies have stated there's only one stone for Venasaur and Blastoise. I agree that Venasaur has no where to go type-wise. Fans (like me) have begged for Charizard to become dragon and Blastoise would make sense as steel or rock but Venasaur....I have no idea. Bug or ground might make the most sense, but even those are pretty random. Maybe fairy?
Also, Charizard might not be alone when it comes to exclusiveness VS other starters of his gen. Blazekin was one of the first revealed mega-evo's and it's been hyped as one of the most important next to Mewtwo and Charizard. We still have nothing on other 3rd gen starters...maybe no mega-evo's for them?
It wouldn't really be surprising if Charizard got special treatment. When you think Pokemon, you think Pikachu...with Charizard at its side. People who've never touched a Pokemon game know who Pikachu and Charizard are. The only reason Charizard isn't the face of Pokemon is that he's too big and intimidating to appeal to younger audiences (and to fit on most products). Charizard has, again, proved himself to be the best Pokemon according to fans several times now. Mewtwo came in second, it only makes sense for #1 to get anything #2 gets. Correct me if I'm wrong (I might have Blue/Green mistaken for one another) but I think the first two games where Red and Blue in JP, then Green released and by the time they showed up in US it was just Red and Green. Blue never had a US release. When it was time to re-make, it was FireRed and LeafGreen that made the cut. When you think about it, despite all the releases in first-gen, Charizard was always there. Always.

You asked to be corrected, so here you are.

The first games to be released in Japan were Pocket Monsters Red Version and Pocket Monsters Green Version. Sometime after that, there was a third Pocket Monsters Blue Version that contained a slew of bug fixes and significantly better graphics than the original Red and Green versions. When Pokémon made it's debut overseas, the Japanese Blue version was reconfigured to use the original Red and Green version exclusive lists, and split into the international Pokémon Red Version and Pokémon Blue Version. This might have been for any number of reasons - Blastoise was more marketable than Venusaur, Red and Blue made better dueling colors than Red and Green, the cartridges were adapted from the Japanese Blue, but for whatever reason, we had Red and Blue, and never saw the original Red and Green code and art over here...which is probably for the best, given that Blue was after the most egregious bugs were fixed and...well, Green version sprites speak for themselves.

Granted, your point about Charizard stands, though I wish they'd made split paths for Venusaur and Blastoise too. You just had your info reversed.

Back