(1) PokeBeach on Facebook [8/16]

I think those kind of sites are dangerous for your private stuff. Plus they get boring after a while.

penny power said:
That's horrible, but it's like that at some schools here, too.
Worst I've seen in a school I used to go to was kids getting busted every period for having drugs.

lol.

I have a Facebook. I use it daily, and frequently. I'm not going to be a fan, though. Why?

Don't want to.

Most all my friends know I play(ed) Pokémon. I really don't care who knows it, but it's also not something I'm going to go around plastering everywhere and acting like it's the greatest thing in the world when it's just not.

And to anyone here who doesn't want to put it on their Facebook: Don't pay attention to anyone trying to tell you otherwise. It's your Facebook, your life, your decision. If you don't feel comfortable, there is absolutely nothing wrong with not putting your interest in Pokémon out in the open for everyone.

safariblade said:
everything you said and more are at my high school
drugs, alcohol, smoking, underage "fun"
yea, america is pretty bad
(don't worry, im in the good crowd :)"

You have no idea...

Xander said:
lol.

I have a Facebook. I use it daily, and frequently. I'm not going to be a fan, though. Why?

Don't want to.

Most all my friends know I play(ed) Pokémon. I really don't care who knows it, but it's also not something I'm going to go around plastering everywhere and acting like it's the greatest thing in the world when it's just not.

And to anyone here who doesn't want to put it on their Facebook: Don't pay attention to anyone trying to tell you otherwise. It's your Facebook, your life, your decision. If you don't feel comfortable, there is absolutely nothing wrong with not putting your interest in Pokémon out in the open for everyone.

I barely ever take offense to other people's posts. Really.
You have no idea how much this post offends me.

You come on a Pokémon board under an "alias" of sorts, participate in Pokémon-related discussions, and converse with other Pokémon fans, but you're too self-conscious to admit to other people that you like Pokémon.

I honestly think that if someone likes Pokémon, but feels people will tease and mock them for it, and thus keeps their hobby a secret, they deserve to be teased and mocked.

I don't go hiding my love of Pokémon. I think of it as a mature, engaging game that requires skill to play. I tell the naysayers that while 225 kids 10 and under and 282 kids 11-14 showed up to play Pokémon cards in St. Louis, over 600 people 15 and over played. And now, I learn that one of my fellow Pokébeachers is ashamed to be a Pokémon fan. Perhaps because it's too unsophisticated for teens to play, too much of a "children's game".

I don't mean to offend you, Xander. I simply mean to convey how much your post offended me.

I am not going to add this to my Facebook. Although most of my friends are aware that I play and enjoy the game, there are some who do not, and honestly "image" does play a role.

I'm not afraid of being teased, as nobody teases me, but what I do not want to deal with is just having a connotation to Pokemon for the rest of High School. It just makes for a more difficult time when you are introducing yourself to someone new and they say, "Oh I know you, your that kid who plays Pokemon."

Everybody here knows that the game can be mature and there are plenty of reasons for playing, but in the end people are not going to stop to hear our prepared excuses for why the game is acceptable for an older person.

Luckily, I only have one friend at my high school, so most of the friends on Facebook don't even go there. I have no reason not to add this. ;p

dmaster out.

I joined. And you know what? I don't really give a damn about my friends being able to see it. All my close friends know how close I am to Pokemon in general. Words don't hurt me when they're coming from someone I'm not close to.

Rhincodon Typus said:
I barely ever take offense to other people's posts. Really.
You have no idea how much this post offends me.

You come on a Pokémon board under an "alias" of sorts, participate in Pokémon-related discussions, and converse with other Pokémon fans, but you're too self-conscious to admit to other people that you like Pokémon.
It's not an "alias". My name is Xander. And yes, I do talk about Pokémon and on the somewhat rare occasion lately, I play the games. How you've come to the ridiculous assumption that I'm "self-conscious" to admit something I've already admitted is beyond me.
Rhincodon Typus said:
I honestly think that if someone likes Pokémon, but feels people will tease and mock them for it, and thus keeps their hobby a secret, they deserve to be teased and mocked.

How do they "deserve" it? Maybe it's because they get ridiculed that they hide it, not the other way around.
Rhincodon Typus said:
I don't go hiding my love of Pokémon. I think of it as a mature, engaging game that requires skill to play. I tell the naysayers that while 225 kids 10 and under and 282 kids 11-14 showed up to play Pokémon cards in St. Louis, over 600 people 15 and over played. And now, I learn that one of my fellow Pokébeachers is ashamed to be a Pokémon fan. Perhaps because it's too unsophisticated for teens to play, too much of a "children's game".
I don't hide it either. Of course, I don't love Pokémon either. It's fun - or used to be - but nothing I spend hours upon hours on anymore.

Please point out where I said I'm ashamed. Your assumption is ridiculous and narrow-minded.
Rhincodon Typus said:
I don't mean to offend you, Xander. I simply mean to convey how much your post offended me.

Lol.

Rhincodon Typus said:
And where does it say that he was too self-conscious to admit that he plays Pokemon? He just said he didn't want to put it because:
Xander said:
I really don't care who knows it, but it's also not something I'm going to go around plastering everywhere and acting like it's the greatest thing in the world when it's just not.

Read deeper dude.

Also why do you get offended by someone else's choice?

People are too self-conscious to admit that they play Pokémon, too afraid of being rejected and losing their social standing. I understand that they hide it because they're ridiculed, and? What I'm trying to say is if you do something, accept the consequences. If playing Pokémon is ridiculed in your area, if you play Pokémon you should be ridiculed! Something being "just" or "fair" has no meaning. If you think you don't deserve being laughed at because you play Pokémon, so what? If you play it you play it, right? Just because the consequences don't seem fair doesn't mean you should keep stuff about yourself locked up in a closet....

What I meant by that long rant is that if the norm is that a certain opinion of interest is laughed at and made fun of for no justifiable reason, someone who has that interest should be made fun of.... and should accept it or quit pursuing that interest.

I can't feel bad for a Pokémon fan that anticipates being made fun of so badly that they hide their being a Pokémon fan.

Rhincodon Typus said:
People are too self-conscious to admit that they play Pokémon, too afraid of being rejected and losing their social standing. I understand that they hide it because they're ridiculed, and? What I'm trying to say is if you do something, accept the consequences. If playing Pokémon is ridiculed in your area, if you play Pokémon you should be ridiculed! Something being "just" or "fair" has no meaning. If you think you don't deserve being laughed at because you play Pokémon, so what? If you play it you play it, right? Just because the consequences don't seem fair doesn't mean you should keep stuff about yourself locked up in a closet....

What I meant by that long rant is that if the norm is that a certain opinion of interest is laughed at and made fun of for no justifiable reason, someone who has that interest should be made fun of.... and should accept it or quit pursuing that interest.

I can't feel bad for a Pokémon fan that anticipates being made fun of so badly that they hide their being a Pokémon fan.
You're still missing the point.

Xander's not becoming a fan not because he's afraid of becoming ridiculed, but simply because he doesn't feel like he's obligated to do so.

I thought Pokemon was well known enough and somewhat ap art of mainstream culture that it was acceptable to talk about. That is, it's not weird when you hear somebody talk about Pokemon because everybody knows what it is.

I don't quite get why doing something means you have to broadcast it to everyone. There are plenty of things people do that they don't go telling everyone, for any number of reasons. Who are you to judge them? How does it concern you in any way at all that someone would rather not go around to every single person they come in contact with and profess their undying love for a game, or anything else?

Furthermore, I'm not sure where you grew up, but I don't know very many people who make it a blatant point to put themselves in the spotlight for ridicule. Your logic is completely absurd to the point where I get a headache just from trying to figure out what exactly your grand point is.

People who play Pokémon should be ridiculed, but only if other people make fun of it, in a local area? How exactly does that work? There will always be a group of people who ridicule something, almost regardless of where you are.

Nobody's asking you to feel bad for anyone, I'm pretty sure we're just asking you to quit being so uppity about other people's business when it doesn't concern you.

Well, the simple, concise answer:

Judge by negatives, not by positives, and you'll be able to find good friends. That's why I ALWAYS want to know points of others' lives that can be ridiculed, and I certainly know I'm far from the only one who does this.

Back