(1) PokeBeach on Facebook [8/16]

Water Pokémon Master said:
Ever thought of going solo? In high school my primary motive was to do what I wanted without worrying about everyone else; I really didn't even care about having friends as long as I was happy. It wasn't really a conscious decision, but in reflecting on high school that's how it was. I always advertised that I liked Pokemon - when I was running for Senior class secretary I even got up in front of half the school (2000 kids and teachers) talking about Pokemon. And you know what? People respected me for being who I was. Of course there was the occasional person who would make fun of me liking Pokemon, but it was never, ever anything serious - it was mostly just joking around. People knew I didn't want friends too - I heard this cliche'd line all the time from my classmates: "I know you don't care about having friends but don't you think I'm yours?" I guess playing like I didn't care got more people to like me. I remember one time there was even this girl who came up to me and said she wished she could be herself like me. That was a real compliment.

I don't know how your guys' schools are, but anyone who criticizes you for liking Pokemon has got to be extremely immature and possibly even insecure. I wouldn't even worry about them. If kids see you doing what you want and having a good time, how can they possibly attack you? It's not like Pokemon is smoking or drinking. -_- Heck, there were seniors in high school that would be playing D/P in the hallways. I can't imagine someone walking up to them and saying "LOL YOU LIKE POKEMANZ LOL." I mean, wouldn't they come across as complete idiots if they were to do that? If kids are really doing that in your schools, they aren't even worth your attention.
I understand what your saying WPM, but im not like that, im not one of those guys, friends are my life. and i know what your thinking : "they arent your friends if they make fun of you"
an no. my FRIENDS DONT make fun of me. they either dont know (because i DONT EVER do anything pokemon related besides playing D/P in my room or going to PB.) or they know and dont care.
im just not into pokemon like i used to be. i guess i just moved on...
the reason why i never told anyone if i liked pokemon is because
1) they never asked
2) why should i? its not an important part of my life, so i dont really need to go around saying "hey everyone, i play pokemon" when its just a hobby that i do sometimes.

BUT
if you do still like pokemon a great deal, dont hesitate to tell people. Pokemon is GREAT. but also, dont be an idiot and go up to some guy you dont even know and say "hey! do you know how to breed an ice ball mudkip?"
one of my friends did that a few years ago, and people still pick on him and call him a nerd. he doesent even like pokemon anymore.
I never announced i like pokemon, i STILL like it, and i was never deemed :a loser or a nerd.
i actually stand up for those called names like that.

Ever thought of going solo? In high school my primary motive was to do what I wanted without worrying about everyone else; I really didn't even care about having friends as long as I was happy. It wasn't really a conscious decision, but in reflecting on high school that's how it was. I always advertised that I liked Pokemon - when I was running for Senior class secretary I even got up in front of half the school (2000 kids and teachers) talking about Pokemon. And you know what? People respected me for being who I was. Of course there was the occasional person who would make fun of me liking Pokemon, but it was never, ever anything serious - it was mostly just joking around. People knew I didn't want friends too - I heard this cliche'd line all the time from my classmates: "I know you don't care about having friends but don't you think I'm yours?" I guess playing like I didn't care got more people to like me. I remember one time there was even this girl who came up to me and said she wished she could be herself like me. That was a real compliment.

I don't know how your guys' schools are, but anyone who criticizes you for liking Pokemon has got to be extremely immature and possibly even insecure. I wouldn't even worry about them. If kids see you doing what you want and having a good time, how can they possibly attack you? It's not like Pokemon is smoking or drinking. -_- Heck, there were seniors in high school that would be playing D/P in the hallways. I can't imagine someone walking up to them and saying "LOL YOU LIKE POKEMANZ LOL." I mean, wouldn't they come across as complete idiots if they were to do that? If kids are really doing that in your schools, they aren't even worth your attention.

That's a very good point Jon, but at times, you have to just go with the crowd, even when their wrong. From your point-of-view, I have a school that consists of 90% immature people (you're pretty much right, XD). I can rather sit by my self everyday, and miss out on the friend support, as well as study support. Or I can put off talking about pokemon (thinking is still private) for 7 hours, get along fine, and have an easier time. I'm not saying that talking about it is wrong, but avoiding it outweighs the downside.

People don't know I play at my school, but if anyone sees me at league or something, or laughs at me, I'd just tell them "Hey, show me your winnings for a free card game. Show me your ability to win free scholarships and free prizes worth lots of money."

mr.619 said:
People don't know I play at my school, but if anyone sees me at league or something, or laughs at me, I'd just tell them "Hey, show me your winnings for a free card game. Show me your ability to win free scholarships and free prizes worth lots of money."

yeah. I always mention the scholarships.

Only a couple of people in my high school know that I play Pokémon but they never made fun of me for it because they were my friends and because they also play Pokémon sometimes as well. I only actually started talking about Pokémon with them when i heard them talking about it. I'm not a Pokémon nerd or anything and I just play it off as casual thing that I play sometimes. In my middle school, people even used to bring their GBAs with the Wireless adaptor and would battle on E/FR/LG. When DP came out, half the boys in my 8th grade class were playing it. The most popular kid in my class even played Pokémon and no one even made fun of him or anything. Heck, when I went to the Mystery Mew event, I went with one of my friends who was in my class and we even met up with another classmate of ours unexpectedly. I swear, a lot of guys DO like Pokémon and play it from time to time or at least have played a Pokémon game recently but keep it secret. It's mostly the anime that gives it the kiddy image but there were even kids in my school that had even watched the Lucario movie on YouTube and Cartoon Network and told me that I should watch it. No one will bother you if you just show that Pokémon is just an occasional pastime for you.

QFT! Show off your passion for Pokemon!!!

Lol, its the complete opposite in my school. Your deamed cool if you smoke, drink, drugs etc. So this doesn't apply to me :p. In all honesty American schools seem so much better than british. Americans seem like nicer people lol.

Again, of course everybody's immature and insecure, it's middle school. High school might be a different story. Also, the thing is, most of my "friends" who'd make fun of me for liking tcg (mainly one who often does it and can sort of be a bad friend) actually like pokemon themselves. True, not as much, but still, they're just insecure. And the popular crowd is full of idiots/jerks(however some are quite decent) so why tell them I love pokemon.

kashmaster said:
Lol, its the complete opposite in my school. Your deamed cool if you smoke, drink, drugs etc. So this doesn't apply to me :p. In all honesty American schools seem so much better than british. Americans seem like nicer people lol.
What! You can't be serious! The British are so awesome and sophisticated!!!!! :D:D:D
And sometimes it's the same in American schools!

kashmaster said:
^ Hahaha Sure it is. I am telling you now a british school is much more worse than an American school.
No, any school can be that way. Americans aren't all nice, either.
And really, I love the British and I want to become British, they're so cool!

penny power said:
No, any school can be that way. Americans aren't all nice, either.
And really, I love the British and I want to become British, they're so cool!
trust me if you saw my school you would change your views, they had to assign a whole police team to monitor our school last year 4 people were stabbed and one shot

level100 said:
trust me if you saw my school you would change your views, they had to assign a whole police team to monitor our school last year 4 people were stabbed and one shot
That's horrible, but it's like that at some schools here, too.

kashmaster said:
^ Hahaha Sure it is. I am telling you now a british school is much more worse than an American school.
everything you said and more are at my high school
drugs, alcohol, smoking, underage "fun"
yea, america is pretty bad
(dont worry, im in the good crowd :)"

Back