(1) 'Pokemon Peer' Interview Translations [9/10]

What an extremely interesting interview! :0 Anything that involves Sugimori amazes me, but learning about some of the creative and thought processes behind making Pokémon is extra amazing.

Each artist working on about ten Pokémon is a lot lower than I had originally thought, but it makes total sense.

It's interesting to see how they think about what each Generation needs - statements such as "Up until now, we designed with the philosophy that, “a mouse-like Pokemon already exists, so let’s make other Pokemon”—but this time they were all new. So, once again we designed a mouse-like Pokemon, a dog-like Pokemon, etc. from scratch." and "At first I told the designers, “You can draw freely; draw things you like.” Gradually, the number of Pokemon was decided, and the instructions became more concrete, such as, “We don’t have enough of this Type, can you try to draw some?” By the end they were directly ordered, “Draw this Pokemon!” were nice to read.

Hearing that the starters and Legendary Pokémon gave them some trouble is understandable at this point. Trying to come up with original and interesting starters and Legendaries must be an incredibly heavy task, as those Pokémon are the ones they put a lot of focus on (in the products, animated series, and of course the games).

I'll comment more on this later, as I have to go to work now. Can't wait to read the rest of the untranslated interview. :D

playerking95's avatar totally looks like a samurai!! and it looks good too :)

from what I've read in the interview I think the suggested evolutions will be the real ones..
i did not really like them so I guess I'll start getting used to them :p but, it still isn't confirmed so..

I wish I was one of the designers ....:) great job..
I am still sure that they are fake..no relation between what they say and the UGLY evolutions....I can't believe that the great idea of the snake will be ruined by this pointless evolution...

@Xous 10 pokemon for each one is not low, if they need a good pokemon, designing characters take VERY long time to reach the result you want which is suppose to be the best design....

Offtopic: It's not my drawing i did a drawing on deviant art but i'm stumped on how to make it into a jpg so i can upload it via a web url on photobucket. Ontopic: They said it was about 10 Pokemon so it's probably 163 Pokemon in this generation.

I think it really shows that they went to see animals in the zoo and pet shops. All the officially released designs look very natural.

It's nice to read how they work, and what ideas went through their head in the designing process.

Well, I already said on many occasions how I feel about the starters final evos so there is no reason to repeat myself! I'll just wait for the game releases!

Anyways, I love how they went out to the zoo to look at real animal behavior to come up with new pokemon. It shows that they took this generation very seriously and wanted to give us the best game possible. I was excited before but now I just can't wait to see the rest of the 150-170 new pokemon!

In regards to Tsutaaja, especially his final form, being Western themed, he reminds me of the decorative trim found in old books that were often hand written by monks in England. They were copy the pages, then add little drawings and borders made of all designs, including twisting, golden shapes and even creeping ivy vines. Here's an example of a page from an old copy of the Bible:
001.jpg

Now not exactly the ivy plants I described, you can get an idea of what I mean from this.

Here's another example of a type of bordering:
Hand-Painted-French-Ivy-Border-Illuminated-Award--15-x18--_20090710195.jpg

I could really picture that "leaked" snake we've seen wrapped around the outside of a page.

Reading this interview only gets me fired up and more excited about wanting to be a concept artist for a video game company :D

I always thought that coming up with 150 plus Pokemon would be a fun but tedious task, but it makes a lot more sense and makes it more simple if everyone only makes like 7-10 :)
I cant wait to read the rest of the interview ! :)
Its been a good week!, special interview supposed new info on Pokemon Sunday this weekend plus the likelihood of Coro Coro too :D Good good week!

Cool interview. They mentioned how fast the moles were, so I'm calling Doryuuzu as a fast, ground (w/ possibly steel or dark) type. I get more excited for this game everytime something new happens.

Mijumaru's last evolution just HAS to be fake, because they said it that they were inspired by samurais, making them use their shells as blades. Now where is the link to that on the last evolution?
Hm..

thats very possible people think when he said sword that it would look like a sword but its pokemon anythings possible

I feel like beating a dead horse, but Ken said the final evolution of mijumaru is suppose to be a otter and a sea lion mixed, right? Well look:

Sea lion:
1sealion.jpg

Mijumaru's evolution:
rumored-mijumaru-evos.jpg

It's final evolution isn't an otter at all. It's a sea lion.

Off topic, but you know what's kinda silly about them waiting for the games to release to show the new Pokemon? By the time it's released in Japan, they'll leak all over the internet. So really, the only ones being surprised are the Japanese children. =_= Not fair.

Back