(1) Pokemon X and Y Announced! [1/8]

If it's set in France, I hope there's nods to other EU countries, a very British Pokemon would be the shizznay, maybe a Queem pokemon.. Haha I joke. The more I watch the trailer the more excited I get, what colouration do you think the 'X' Pokemon will be? I think green.

Frankly I don't like the way graphics are used. The camera being so low just makes everything ugly, not only it kinda makes it look like a sidescroller, but it doesn't look well at all with this kind of graphics pokemon has. It should be a least a little more elevated, more like the old games, than using this. The design of the character isn't that bad, but it looks aweful from behind with this camera, more like a huge head on a stick. And they certainly aren't using 3DS full potential 'cause polygons and battle effects could be a lot better.

Above all, this game seriously dissappoints me from what I was expecting for the first fully 3D protable pokemon game.

Froxy said:
a very British Pokemon would be the shizznay, maybe a Queem pokemon..

416Vespiquen.png

also upon second thought Fennekin looks rather feminine, not saying that there's anything wrong with it, I just find those traits unusual in a fire type...

I'm excited to finally see a grass starter that doesn't appear to be based on a dinosaur/reptile!

A little bit of explanation about his design: His name gives hints to his theme. The Japanese name ハリマロン "Harimaron" is a combination of 針 "hari" (pin/needle) and マロン "maron" which is the French word for chestnut that is sometimes used in Japanese instead of the native word for chestnut, 栗 "kuri." The English name "Chespin" is more proof of chestnut + pin. This explains why he looks like a brown creature wearing a spiky green coating, like a young chestnut in its husk. As he evolves the outside might turn from green to brown but hopefully this means we'll get to see evolutions with a cool spiky chestnut design.

Metalizard said:
PS: I don't like France.

Neither do I, I would have preferred a California, UK or Canada-based region... maybe they're basing each region from Gen V onwards on each of the regions that Pokemon is translated in (Germany for Gen VII)?

meliakh said:
Just realized how cheeky Masuda can be. Check out his twitter profile pic. He's been showing this pic for some time!

1bda53afd8dea549092203b8abfb2cc6.jpeg

Just looks like he wanted to give a hidden clue - and nobody thought of a region based on Paris/France.
Masuda must have laughed in his sleeve when uploading this image!

omg guise

The fox is a FIRE type, and fire is RED (like RUBY)

The frog is BLUE (like SAPPHIRE)

And the chipmunk is GREEN (like EMERALD)

HOENN CONFIRMED

:p

Decmaster said:
1) We're shown Chespin using some attack on a Golurk that looks a lot like a dark type attack. Makes since, too, since the Solarbeam shown earlier was super effective on its opponent, too.

I doubt that's a Dark attack otherwise it would not have the same HIT SOUND as the flamethrower on Munchlax, since Golurk is weak to Dark.

I don't see them doing Dark after Emboar was not for some reason, but who knows.

The world that Pikachu is sending the message to doesn't appear to be Earth, but the Pokémon world! (there's no recognisable continents on there)

screenshot20130108at155.png

Can anyone spot any regions?

Well, its from Paris... You can see Europe, Northern Africa, Arabia, Russia

EDIT: Sorry my fault - You meant where the message goes to? - So i think one is East Asia, probably Japan, then Australia, next one Arabia, two go to Africa and two to America (one to South and one to North). Think it just shows that the Nintendo Direct message adresses people worldwide.

Latios101 said:
The world that Pikachu is sending the message to doesn't appear to be Earth, but the Pokémon world! (there's no recognisable continents on there)

You mean besides Africa.

Latios101 said:

Pikachu was standing at the top of the Eiffel Tower, and most of Europe was blocked out by the Thunderbolt/Discharge/PikaJudgment. I see Northern Africa and the Arab peninsula, as well as Turkey. The rest is dark, but it's Asia.

Latios101 said:

That's clearly Africa in the bottom left, which is below Europe, which contains France, which is where Pikachu was, its Earth.

Then again the Pokemon world is just another version of Earth, much like the Pikmin Planet, so that doesn't nescessarily mean anything.

I think I can see Kanto and Johto with another reigon attached to them.
Oh, nvm. I'm late.
I absolutely love the fire starter!

Latios101 said:

Well, of course. The origin point of the rays is Paris. Right down you can spot Africa and beside the middle east

maybe they changed the hit sounds in the 6th gen, after all it does sound like patrat is actually resisting an attack (or maybe they're changing type effectiveness for some types? They better not have it where lightning beats earth like in naruto)

either way I'm like 75% sure that the attack Chespin used was Night Slash...

The Pikachu Mafia said:
maybe they changed the hit sounds in the 6th gen, after all it does sound like patrat is actually resisting an attack (or maybe they're changing type effectiveness for some types? They better not have it where lightning beats earth like in naruto)

either way I'm like 75% sure that the attack Chespin used was Night Slash...
I think those are just the sound effects of the attacks themselves, not of the effectiveness of them.

And it really does look like Night Slash. Grass/Dark hedgehog starter? HELL. YES.

Okay so, the Cel shading fixes my problem with Pokemon being on the 3DS. I'm expecting the fight scenes to be a lot more dynamic and if they aren't then this is wasted potential to reboot the battle system.
But then there is the issue of the Cel shading itself. It's proven to work on the Zelda games for DS but that is a secondary art style. The main series still sticks to the, relatively, same art style. And with Pokemon...it honestly looks horrible. I never liked anything 3D on Nintendo handhelds and Pokemon hasn't changed my mind. It just makes me want a main series Pokemon game on consoles.

Then there is the argument that Pokemon is a Social game and being on home consoles would destroy that. This is a very good point but gaming online has become incredibly popular ever since consoles could play online. Nintendo land on the Wii U demonstrates how a Pokemon game could work on a console socially. How about 3DS to Wii U compatability?

I like the flying legendary. Doesn't look that bad. As for antlers over here. It looks ridiculous.
As for the Pikachu thing, I thought that was just symbolizing a worldwide release.
I'm still hoping for X and Y to be substituting for an actual name. Might as well just call them Pokemonx and Pokemony.

I may be obsessing (I am obsessing) but I think I might've found a possible hint as to the Bird-Y origins:

Alerion / Avalerion:
wd9US.png

Some info:
"The alerion is a bird like an eagle; it is lord over all other birds. It is the color of fire, is larger than an eagle, and its wings are as sharp as a razor."

"Alerions have been seen in coats of arms, most often depicted as a bird with no beak and feathered stumps in place of legs or no legs at all."

Sounds about right. Maybe. Or has nothing to do with it.

Also could make a case for the x- and y- coordinates thing again, though. The Y-Bird is ruler of flying creatures and X-Elk is ruler of the land creatures.

Back