(1) Video Game Showdown Info Released! [4/8]

They're just doing it for people who didn't get to go to an event to get the Secret Key. They're trying to make the competition as fair as possible to people. Like, a little kid could say, "Why does he get to use Deoxys? I never had a chance to get it where I live! Discrimination!" or something.

Players may not enter a Pokémon nicknamed with the name of another Pokémon character (for example, a Lucario nicknamed “Spiritomb”).
This is possibly the stupidest rule I've ever heard. x3

It's so little kids don't get confused, but yeah, kind of silly.

They don't have to ban rotom in general though, only the forms right? I like that little guy :]

Suraako said:
Wow. When you put Tyranitar and Rotom on the same ban list, you know it's a sucky tournament. Really? Rotom?! Really?

Pupitar doesn't evolve into Tyranitar until level 55. The tournament is for 50 and under.

The random drawing really sucks. -_-'

But making a truly competitive tournament is clearly not the priority of PUSA I guess...

i mad why not Canada i had a ev over power speed hp and all for want there no video game showdown when will canada get one there it right beside usa

Philly? Seriously? NYC, D.C., Boston, and all that and they put the only East Coast tourney in Philly!? Unbelievable. Maybe they are hoping to limit the number of people entering?

It's odd to see that Tyranitar is banned because it evolves at Level 55, yet Dragonite isn't on that list.

I won't be going, since I stay on the outskirts of Pokémon battling--Pokémon Battle Revolution. (It would've been nice if it used that instead, as PBR does have level-balancing.)

I think there is another reason why Rotom is banned too. Because PBR was released way before Platinum, it doesn't include Pokemon such as Skymin, Giratina's origin forme, and the new Rotoms. I believe the finals are hosted on some big screen using PBR, so anyone using a Rotom forme at that point wouldn't be allowed to play. It's a shame though, Rotom formes are awesome and a great help against some of the more popular Pokemon you see in VGS tournaments (such as Metagross and Snorlax).

There was a Dragonite lvl 50 giveaway a while ago, which is why Dragonite isn't on that ban list I suppose (but getting a legit Dragonite for this is probably going to be difficult). They didn't do this for Tyranitar though, which struck me as a bit weird because I thought the green guy would have been the more popular Pokemon.

No Wobbafet on the ban list?

No way did i spell that right!

Good luck to all competitors

Gowk

I am going to go only because I only live not even half an hour away from the valley forge convention center. Plus free shiny milotic.

scampy said:
I think there is another reason why Rotom is banned too. Because PBR was released way before Platinum, it doesn't include Pokemon such as Skymin, Giratina's origin forme, and the new Rotoms. I believe the finals are hosted on some big screen using PBR, so anyone using a Rotom forme at that point wouldn't be allowed to play. It's a shame though, Rotom formes are awesome and a great help against some of the more popular Pokemon you see in VGS tournaments (such as Metagross and Snorlax).

There was a Dragonite lvl 50 giveaway a while ago, which is why Dragonite isn't on that ban list I suppose (but getting a legit Dragonite for this is probably going to be difficult). They didn't do this for Tyranitar though, which struck me as a bit weird because I thought the green guy would have been the more popular Pokemon.

On the Rotom banning, you're probably right. Although, the explanation I initially thought of was it may have been put in place as to not discourage younger players who maybe didn't get a secret key.

I thought we were going to receive a Tyranitar event as well. But chances are he's being saved for Gold and Silver marketing. Perhaps next year?

Ow god no championships in the Netherlands :(.
The same item held rule is gonna suck.
The same as Wobbafet not banned.

Wobbuffet isn't broken in doubles.

Seriously, Wobbu in single battles is broken because of its ability to help other sweepers to set up thanks to shadow tag + Encore and by being able to handle one opponent Pokémon, and by being wishable, but in doubles it's not going to be the case.

I sent a complaint email to PUSA about the registration system. If you guys want, I can post what they say when they get back to me.

So, do any of you guys know of any really good strategies/teams of Pokemon that I can use for this tournament? Because I am going to be entering and since I'm 13, I'm going to be in the Seniors division which is going to be really hard to win. And I'm having some trouble thinking up of a team of strong Pokemon. Any suggestions?

Poke4ever said:
So, do any of you guys know of any really good strategies/teams of Pokemon that I can use for this tournament? Because I am going to be entering and since I'm 13, I'm going to be in the Seniors division which is going to be really hard to win. And I'm having some trouble thinking up of a team of strong Pokemon. Any suggestions?

Check out DoubleEdge in the Clans and Clubs. They're masters at strategies and will help you out for sure.

dmaster out.

froggy025 said:
Of course we want...

Just got a reply from PUSA.

Ideally, we would allow every player that showed up to participate. However, due
to the technical requirements necessary to hold a tournament of this magnitude,
there are only 128 competitor slots available for each age division. A
first-come, first-served registration process gives significant advantage to
local players. To help offset this, we will be using a random selection process
to determine who will compete in the event. Should fewer than 128 players in an
age division register for the event, all will be taken.

*name of employee who answered my question*
The Pokemon Company International
333 108th Ave NE Suite 1900
Bellevue, WA 98004
www.go-pokemon.com/op

Argh! I didn't need a lecture on how the registration works - I simply asked them why they didn't use a method that would notify the chosen players before the event (so that those who weren't chosen wouldn't have to do all that trouble for nothing). This is why I rarely bother with official tournaments. *sigh*

Back