(1) X/Y Pokemon Direct [9/4]

Frezgle said:
When they said storage on the game is limited, they meant it's always been limited.

I knew that thats what they meant, but I'm still only slightly worried. Every generation, they usually add a couple of boxes to be able to hold one of each Pokemon, plus 1-2 extra. I'm just worried they won't give us that expand come X and Y and just keep it at 700 because now they'll have the Bank. (And yes, I'm one of those people where 700+ isn't enough :p)

EDIT: I collect one of every Pokemon, that leaves me with just 2 boxes of free space to use. And if you battle competitively, plus collect every shiny and event you come across, plus house your in game team, maybe more, it just isn't enough. But I really can put up with the $5 a month if thats the case, I'm not trying to complain about it or anything. I'm just saying that I'd hate it if they practically made me do it if I wanted to collect every Pokemon again. Notice I said practically and if.

Zapydos2 said:
Yeah should have been more specific on that. I meant everything in the game, including background stuff. I realize stuff is referenced to keep from going into insane amounts of space. 700 wasn't enough, really? I thought it was a comfortable amount, even with a ton of boxes full to the brim.

Well, considering your Pokemon boxes are just basically lists, with only one model (if they're even going to use a model) shared across all boxes, and Pokemon stat data doesn't take up much room at all since it can all be expressed in simple numbers, there's still no way they could pull the "we needed more room for other stuff" excuse. It's like clipping your toenails to lose weight.

Zielo said:
But I really can put up with the $5 a month if thats the case, I'm not trying to complain about it or anything.

*A year :D

Right, year. Thats actually what I meant. :p All the more reason to not really have to complain about the cost. I just wouldnt like it if all I was paying for was the few boxes that were just hanging off my national dex count. (like say the box count ends at 5th gen, I would basically only be using the Bank just to house 6th gen)

But even then... I guess thats okay. Annoying, but okay. I'd put up with it, I'm not one of those people who will quit the franchise over a small annoyance like that.

Well, I've actually took the work to plan on how I'm going to storage all pokémon in Black 2 and I've come to the conclusion that I will have to save most of my event pokémon, my dw females and the unown forms in my White 2 card instead cause I don't have space for everything in Black 2. But yes, if we would only count one of each pokémon, including forms (with the exception of all Arceus forms maybe), the space in BW is enough.

I don't get why there are so many people that are upset by the five dollars a year price tag for pokemon bank. I think it's perfectly reasonable.

The # of in-game boxes will probably be at least the same, if not more, than B/W.

Gen 3 = 386 Pokemon species = 14 boxes @ 30 apiece = 420 slots
Gen 4 = 493 Pokemon species = 18 boxes @ 30 apiece = 540 slots
Gen 5 = 649 Pokemon species = 24 boxes @ 30 apiece = 720 slots
Gen 6 = 750+? Pokemon species = ?? boxes @ 30 apiece = ??? slots

Excluding that Gen 4 anomaly (I stand corrected), the box slots have always had more slots than the available species. Gen 6 will, I'm predicting, have 30 in-game boxes, resulting in 900 slots in-game. That should be plenty. They could get away with 24, but they have enough to bump it up to 30. 30 is also a nice round number, so it can work out. They could do 27 or 28 boxes, but 30 seems the most likely.
(Do not take any of this as fact. This is merely speculation.)

Though I will admit I am one of those people who had to continually clean out his boxes in Black 1 because of overcrowding.

Nintendo has finally achieved what Team Rocket dreamed of in 1999; genetically modify Pokemon to their whim.

Whereas Red Gyarados was a success, Charizard and Blastoise have been ruined.

DNA said:
The # of in-game boxes will probably be at least the same, if not more, than B/W.

Gen 3 = 386 Pokemon species = 14 boxes @ 30 apiece = 420 slots
Gen 4 = 493 Pokemon species = 16 boxes @ 30 apiece = 480 slots
Gen 5 = 649 Pokemon species = 24 boxes @ 30 apiece = 720 slots
Gen 6 = 750+? Pokemon species = ?? boxes @ 30 apiece = ??? slots

Excluding that Gen 4 anomaly, the box slots have always had more slots than the available species. Gen 6 will, I'm predicting, have 30 in-game boxes, resulting in 900 slots in-game. That should be plenty. They could get away with 24, but they have enough to bump it up to 30. 30 is also a nice round number, so it can work out. They could do 27 or 28 boxes, but 30 seems the most likely.
(Do not take any of this as fact. This is merely speculation.)

Though I will admit I am one of those people who had to continually clean out his boxes in Black 1 because of overcrowding.

Have no fear the banks your friend! For the record I get overcrowded on black also so this'll be great for us. :D

Ohman177 said:
xxashxx said:
Thw other downside to this is ifnyou have no internet you cannot access your boxes at all. They are making a HUGE mistake by making it a requirement XD.:) I hope the U.S. games have this optional because only on clouds will not work.:)

You're right. It's not like you could sit in a McDonalds for maybe 5 minutes or anything. Or, heaven forbid, going to a Starbucks. AND DARE I EVEN MENTION ITS NAME....
WALMART. *Gasps and falls over dead*

At least someone agrees with me. Anyway we have in game boxes also? If so that's a relief because I thought we were pnly going to be using clouds. Oh an no the transporter is not the only way to transfer Pokemon between versions. Ever heard of trading with yourself over Wi-Fi or trading with someone that can transfer them for you from their 5th gen games. You really do not need your own cloud. Just do as I have always done until I got 2 DS's.:)

xxashxx said:
Ohman177 said:
You're right. It's not like you could sit in a McDonalds for maybe 5 minutes or anything. Or, heaven forbid, going to a Starbucks. AND DARE I EVEN MENTION ITS NAME....
WALMART. *Gasps and falls over dead*

At least somwone agrees with me. Anyway we have in game boxes also? If so that's a relief because I thought we were pnly going to be using clouds. Oh an no the transporter is not the only way to transfer Pokemon between versions. Ever heard of trading with yourself over Wi-Fi or trading with someone that can transfer them for you from their 5th gen games. You really do not need your own cloud. Just do as I have always done until I got 2 DS's.:)

um i think he was being sarcastic lol

GODZILLA said:
Nintendo has finally achieved what Team Rocket dreamed attempted in 1999; genetically modify Pokemon to their whim.

Charizard and Blastoise's Mega Evolutions don't really look that bad to be honest. Blastoise got the best one where as Charizard looks more like Aerodactyl than Garchomp in it's Mega form.

Card Slinger J said:
GODZILLA said:
Nintendo has finally achieved what Team Rocket dreamed attempted in 1999; genetically modify Pokemon to their whim.

Charizard and Blastoise's Mega Evolutions don't really look that bad to be honest. Blastoise got the best one where as Charizard looks more like Aerodactyl than Garchomp in it's Mega form.

Don't mind him he just be hatin'.

GlaceonFanatic said:
xxashxx said:
At least somwone agrees with me. Anyway we have in game boxes also? If so that's a relief because I thought we were pnly going to be using clouds. Oh an no the transporter is not the only way to transfer Pokemon between versions. Ever heard of trading with yourself over Wi-Fi or trading with someone that can transfer them for you from their 5th gen games. You really do not need your own cloud. Just do as I have always done until I got 2 DS's.:)

Most definitely sarcastic.

GlaceonFanatic said:
xxashxx said:

I don't think he understood what sarcasm is. (not ohman, he knows).
I think the cloud was the inevitable next step. I don't like it, won't use it (too expensive) and don't really need it, so it doesn't affect me for now, but the key here is that it is long term. With each subsequent gen (and I think Pokémon bank is a confirmation of new gens to come) more new pokemon will be added, and not enough storage space per game, so, to keep the fanbase from revolting, GF had to come up with a way to store pokemon in an external system and, since future consoles are, at the moment, a complete unknown, the ubiquitous internet was the best place. this way, the collectors can keep their old pokemon in the cloud and all new games will not need that pokemon transfer BS.

I thought someone was using their mind and was agreeing with me for once. Guess not. Anyway it is not as good of an idea as you guys think it is. What I am saying is, there are people out there that don't have internet at all because they either cannot afford it or they don't own a computer at all. For instance if I were to go visit my aunt tomorrow which I am not but if that was going to happen and if I had the cloud thing I would not be able to access my Pokemon because she does not have a computer or even internet at all. Not everyone has a computer or internet like you guys do. Just because everyone here has internet does not mean everyone has internet in 2013. I know a few others besides my aunt that do not have internet at all. I am not going to name them. Anyway the point is that I am trying to make is that you can't access your Pokemon or transfer them if you or your family does not have internet. Most people don't hang around public places to use their internet. They go visit someone that has it or they have their own server. That is why I hope they still keep the traditional way too. How many boxes will there be for X & Y? DNA: There were 18 boxes in 4th gen not 16 boxes XD. You might want to fix that XD.:)

DNA: There were 18 boxes in 4th gen not 16 boxes XD. You might want to fix that XD.
Ah, so there was. Fixed. I thought something looked off.

What I am saying is, there are people out there that don't have internet at all because they either cannot afford it or they don't own a computer at all.
In all fairness, you can't use this as an excuse. The Internet has been used to assist with Pokemon since Gen 4. That was back in 2007 - six years ago. The Internet was not required to play the game fully, but it never has been. But for many of the bonus features and stuff (trading and battling, certain event distributions, and the Global Link, just to name a few big ones), you need an Internet connection.

Is that a bad thing? No. The Internet is simply the best way to get it out there and make it happen.

I know not everyone has Internet, but most people do. And...to be honest...do you have a better suggestion for how people could get those kinds of features without an Internet connection? Don't forget, a lot of places like Starbucks and McDonalds have free Wifi, and if you do have a suggestion, it has to be practical.

xxashxx said:
I thought someone was using their mind and was agreeing with me for once. Guess not. Anyway it is not as good of an idea as you guys think it is. What I am saying is, there are people out there that don't have internet at all because they either cannot afford it or they don't own a computer at all. For instance if I were to go visit my aunt tomorrow which I am not but if that was going to happen and if I had the cloud thing I would not be able to access my Pokemon because she does not have a computer or even internet at all. Not everyone has a computer or internet like you guys do. Just because everyone here has internet does not mean everyone has internet in 2013. I know a few others besides my aunt that do not have internet at all. I am not going to name them. Anyway the point is that I am trying to make is that you can't access your Pokemon or transfer them if you or your family does not have internet. Most people don't hang around public places to use their internet. They go visit someone that has it or they have their own server. That is why I hope they still keep the traditional way too. How many boxes will there be for X & Y? DNA: There were 18 boxes in 4th gen not 16 boxes XD. You might want to fix that XD.:)

I get what youre saying, my boyfriend actually doesn't have internet. In a place like Louisiana, not everyone does. He usually just comes to my house and uses the internet and things like that.
However, that still shouldn't pose a real problem. Anyone without internet obviously wouldn't be doing very much competitive battling or international trading in the first place. Meaning, they wouldnt need the extra space for excessive breeding, team slots, traidbait, all of the things people will probably be using the Bank for. Furthermore, if anyone wanted to use the storage badly enough, I'm sure they could find a way to go to one of the many public places and use it there, or even just a relatives. If X and Y do turn out to have just a couple more boxes than B&W, then I'm sure anyone without internet would have more than enough room, even if you are a huge collector like me. In fact, the only reason I ever needed a couple of extra boxes was for things like traidbait and competitive teams.
Again, the only way this Bank thing would make me mad is if they were to decrease or keep the same 5th gen amount of the in-game box count.

Also remember that this is completely optional. We've all survived without the Bank before, so obviously anyone without internet has already dealt with the amount of boxes they already had. Pokemon has also had internet connections since gen 4 and people have dealt with that. As far as transferring gen 5 Pokemon goes, I'm pretty sure its literally the only way it could be even made possible. Its that or we dont have the option to transfer at all.

xxashxx said:

It's true, not everybody has internet, and people often forget that little fact *staring at some of you* BUT, you are also forgetting that the bank is not something needed to play the game nor something that needs daily access, since the games still have autonomous storage, so having internet all the time isn't needed in this particular case. whenever you need to access the bank you would just need a few minutes and done, no need for internet anymore.
And if you are at your aunt's and absolutely need to access the bank, well, let me just tell you *CENSORED*... and that's how babies are made. hmm hmmm.

professorlight said:
And if you are at your aunt's and absolutely need to access the bank, well, let me just tell you *CENSORED*... and that's how babies are made. hmm hmmm.

What on earth are you waffling on about?

Ah maybe I read the news story wrong I thought it was going to be a requirement for us to have so that means things will be pretty much the same. Phew that was scary XD.:) Sorry guys.:)

Back