(1) X/Y Pokemon Direct [9/4]

Frost said:
People are really underrating the potency of Drought in making Mega Charizard usable. Drizzle and Drought singlehandedly brought Ninetales and Politoed to OU in Gen V, guys. It doesn't matter if Mega Charizard has a 4x Rock weakness; unless they severely nerf the weather, it's still an incredible ability that will make Mega Charizard see use.

In weather wars, the weather setter has to be able to switch in and out of battle. Charizard is one of those Pokemon that has to stay in.

This is a common weather scenario:

P1 sends out drought ninetales
P2 sends out hippowdon, since hippo is slower, his weather is dominant.
P1 switches
P2 sets stealth rock

Both ninetales and charizard are too fast against opposing weather teams. Difference is it takes 4 stealth rocks to take out ninetales but charizard goes out with 2. At least with Blaze he can benefit from stealth rock weakness.

Now, going up against non-weather teams, he'd make for a worry-some threat

DNA said:
I noticed something here: Drought is an ability that triggers upon being sent out. As far as is known, Mega-Pokemon are battle-exclusive. Does this mean that transforming into Mega form is treated as 'being sent out' and thus will trigger said Abilities? since otherwise you'd have to switch Charizard out, and then send it back in again, all while in its Mega form.

Food for thought.

They might make a change to the ability in the scripting so that it activates when the ability becomes active rather than when the Pokémon is sent out.

As for the food; I like Indian food.

1. Mega Charizard looks more like Charmeleon to me than actual Charizard.
2. To people saying they won't be using pokemon bank, did anyone else hear the part where he says "storage in X and Y will be limited." I feel like he means that it's going to be WAY more limited than it normally is.
3. I understand mega Charizard not getting dragon, but blastoise still not having steel is down right ridiculous. He is the only one with only one type, and tbh, the one most deserving of a second one. HE HAS METAL CANONS IN HIS BACK. They even went out of their way to give him a 3rd huge one, metal hands, and metal accents on his shell. Why are they avoiding the obvious???
4. Venusaur is now only weak to the psychic and flying type :D
5. Mega Charizard just got a one way ticket to OU a la drought.
6. That pokemon flashed for a second looks like the rumored ice wolf.
7. The bracelet is a great idea and I'm glad they're making Pokemon Aime more important.
8. $5 a year is an amazing price and anyone complaining needs to get off their high Rapidash and accept it.

Sky Pillar said:
In weather wars, the weather setter has to be able to switch in and out of battle. Charizard is one of those Pokemon that has to stay in.

This is a common weather scenario:

P1 sends out drought ninetales
P2 sends out hippowdon, since hippo is slower, his weather is dominant.
P1 switches
P2 sets stealth rock

Both ninetales and charizard are too fast against opposing weather teams. Difference is it takes 4 stealth rocks to take out ninetales but charizard goes out with 2. At least with Blaze he can benefit from stealth rock weakness.

Now, going up against non-weather teams, he'd make for a worry-some threat

The hippowdon would activate its weather as soon as he is sent out but charizard won't mega evolve until the first turn starts so his sun will kick in second. It's like a guaranteed win in a weather war. And as for surviving, just get a spinner who can clear it for him.

His hair is shorter than Calem's usual haircut....

29fpmaq.png

I think this is one of first time trainer customization has been seen in the overworld even though it is very subtle.

BlankPoints said:
His hair is shorter than Calem's usual haircut....

29fpmaq.png

I think this is one of first time trainer customization has been seen in the overworld even though it is very subtle.

Looks so much better short. I'm not a fan of the male trainer this generation, but the shorter hair definitely makes a difference. Hope we can change the clothes too!

The female trainer, however, is great! They always seem to do a good job with them.

I really do hope for the first TCG set that introduces mega evolutions, that the international TCG set will forego theme decks completely, just like BW Legendary Treasures and the Kalos starter set, and build 3 decks based on the Kanto starters, with the mega evolutions, and the purpose of those decks would be to showcase the mega evolutions.

The rest of the sets will still have theme decks, just the one that introduces mega evolutions will have special decks in lieu of theme decks.

mastermagpie said:
Is the second sprite along a Flabébé?

direct92.jpg

Flygon! you are in too! yay!

I've been thinking... if the bracelet is what triggers mega evolution... it's very likely the mechanic is exclusive to X and Y, right? unless they make the bracelet a regular key item in posterior games, but I don't see that happening. Maybe they will streamline the mechanic later? like "you used to need this thing, but now you don't, just the megastone. why? because SCIENCE. now shut up, kid"

...Mega Launcher powers up attacks with Pulse in the name...not attacks that, you know, LAUNCH things?

don()shinobi said:
...Mega Launcher powers up attacks with Pulse in the name...not attacks that, you know, LAUNCH things?

Yes because Blastoise can't launch water out of its water cannons at all, it totally sends pulses using them

I know the effect doesn't match up, but seriously, Clauncher is the no.1 candidate for the ability. Launcher is even in Clauncher's name, for god sake.
Now I've jynx'd it and watch Clauncher get Swift Swim or something

Looking at the new updates-
Mega Charizard- looks OK, the best of the 3 starters. Not being dragon is a disapointment. Arms looks similar to White Kyurem(6/10)
Mega Blastoise- It looks really wierd. Honestly the look drives me off. (4/10)
Mega Venasuar- Terribly overdesigned, and the 'tatoos' on his head look horrid. (2/10)
New Pokemon- Looks like a snow lamb, kinda like the look of it. (For now, 7/10)
Pokemon Bank- Entry fee is slightly high to be for a month. Maybe 5 dollars every 3 months? Seems overpriced for a simple (most likely) one time use feature. (3/10)

Reggie McGigas said:
Pokemon Bank- Entry fee is slightly high to be for a month. Maybe 5 dollars every 3 months? Seems overpriced for a simple (most likely) one time use feature. (3/10)

It's $5 per 12 months.

It's a perfectly fair and reasonable price.

I was so hoping for more than the Kanto starters....by this logic, I demand Torterra get Sandstream D:< You wanna get one NU outta the dark, you gotta get the others!

....Thick Fat Venusaur may be cool, though. With only Psychic, an incredibly poor type defensively, and Flying, a rather one-dimensional STAB-only option, it might actually get to use that 100 base Special Defense.

Charizard looks much faster; maybe it focuses more on speed?

Blastoise looks cool. Too bad its new ability only boosts Pulse moves...kind of lame. Oh well, the giant cannons are cool.

P.DelSlayer said:
Reggie McGigas said:

It's $5 per 12 months.

Oh, I read it wrong, I thought it was 5 bucks a month. 5 bucks a year is a much more reasonable price, but the fact that you even have to pay to transfer is annoying and unnecessary. I remember the good old days when you could transfer pokemon from one game to another quick and free! (Gasp!)

when i came back from school and i looked at the new starters evo's i was like O___O AWESOMENESSS i like mega charizard the most the other 2 are also nice.
btw when are the coro coro leaks coming i hope the new pokemon is in there

P.DelSlayer said:
don()shinobi said:

Yes because Blastoise can't launch water out of its water cannons at all, it totally sends pulses using them

I know the effect doesn't match up, but seriously, Clauncher is the no.1 candidate for the ability. Launcher is even in Clauncher's name, for god sake.
Now I've jynx'd it and watch Clauncher get Swift Swim or something
If Remoriad and Octillery don't get Mega Launcher Idk what I'll do. I'm really getting fed up with GF avoiding the obvious and not doing stuff that are blatantly needing to be fixed.

P.DelSlayer said:
Reggie McGigas said:

It's $5 per 12 months.

About 42 cents (£0.27) a month... That's nothing!
As P.DelSlayer said, it really is completely reasonable!

mastermagpie said:
About 42 cents (£0.27) a month... That's nothing!
As P.DelSlayer said, it really is completely reasonable!

Seriously guys. I mean, I'm no pokedex collector but I do house wifi Pokemon sometimes. I'm not mad. The game is in 3D, has many new modes, Pokemon, and has SO MUCH HYPE this year. I don't see what the problem is? I know the game itself is like, what, ~$40? I don't really see the problem for an added "Pokemon Bank." At least we're guaranteed a fun generation along with it.

$5 a year? Come on, people. I know that many of you are hesitant to be okay with buying storage for Pokemon, but five dollars for a whole year of service with nearly unlimited amounts of space sounds great to me.

Back