2024 Pokemon TCG Illustrator Contest Under Fire for Apparent AI Entries

There's nothing new to be said about the AI entries, but what I wanna know is why are people allowed SO many dang entries?? Sure, there's a lot of Pokemon available to draw to enter, but I feel like they definitely should have limited it to one or two entries for 3 different Pokemon...

Yes it is
Can you explain what exactly you think an AI witch hunt accomplishes here, realistically? Even in this very thread someone has thoughtlessly jumped the gun with constantly-proven-unreliable "AI detection software" (that is only actually useful for people to virtue signal online with), only for others to with a fair bit of confidence assure us that the artist in question has a very public portfolio dating back to before AI image generation blew up.

Try to be sensible about this rather than entirely reactionary, it'll work out better for everyone involved.

Yes it is
I understand what you are saying but we shouldn’t be harassing the “artist” or anyone involved. When there is a witch hunt, people start throwing around accusations that aren’t true or based with evidence. It’s not worth it to go Mach 10.

It is very sad that we have to worry about AI now but we should still treat humans with respect and dignity. So even if it is AI, don’t harass the person behind it.

I understand what you are saying but we shouldn’t be harassing the “artist” or anyone involved. When there is a witch hunt, people start throwing around accusations that aren’t true or based with evidence. It’s not worth it to go Mach 10.

It is very sad that we have to worry about AI now but we should still treat humans with respect and dignity. So even if it is AI, don’t harass the person behind it.
Sure I can agree we shouldn't harass people, but calling them names is important so they stop doing AI art and feel bad for doing it.

Can you explain what exactly you think an AI witch hunt accomplishes here, realistically? Even in this very thread someone has thoughtlessly jumped the gun with constantly-proven-unreliable "AI detection software" (that is only actually useful for people to virtue signal online with), only for others to with a fair bit of confidence assure us that the artist in question has a very public portfolio dating back to before AI image generation blew up.

Try to be sensible about this rather than entirely reactionary, it'll work out better for everyone involved.
Because if they feel bad about doing AI art and being a poseur instead of actually trying to build a skill like a normal person they'll stop this AI tech bro fetishization bullshit.

Sure I can agree we shouldn't harass people, but calling them names is important so they stop doing AI art and feel bad for doing it.

Because if they feel bad about doing AI art and being a poseur instead of actually trying to build a skill like a normal person they'll stop this AI tech bro fetishization bullshit.
i'm sorry to have to inform you that this is only a solution if your goal is to feel better about yourself for a moment online, not if you want to actually address the problems in any meaningful way.

All entries need to be thoroughly assessed by AI professionals. Not just the obvious ones.

Already mentioned but this artist is not an AI artist. Her work was stolen by AI thieves.

Also, AI professionals, lol.

Pokemon should just require progress works. Any actual artist will have them and AI thieves will not.

Already mentioned but this artist is not an AI artist. Her work was stolen by AI thieves.

Also, AI professionals, lol.

Pokemon should just require progress works. Any actual artist will have them and AI thieves will not.
if you can only laugh at the idea that something like this can exist you have already gotten thoroughly lost in the vitriol and should take a step back to consider something besides your desired "us vs. them" narrative.

Surprised to see my comment show up here of all places, it’s kinda cool! Keep up the good work, and I hope an non-AI using Artist wins this!

if you can only laugh at the idea that something like this can exist you have already gotten thoroughly lost in the vitriol and should take a step back to consider something besides your desired "us vs. them" narrative.

What on earth are you saying?

AI techbros steal all of Johanna's work to train their system, then it spits out a result trained by that and then you use their tool to determine whether her work is AI? Maybe stop believing in techbros would be a good start. Their motive is profit, that's it.

If all you care about is your investment, if you have any, then more theft and infringement is good for you in the short term. Spare us "both sides". This isn't your audience.

They also submitted a Pikachu piece which was stylistically just like the Eevee ones, but contains far more AI traits such as lines and details that seem to go nowhere. I agree it's likely a generated image which has been worked on, but doesn't change the fact that it was generated and lazily photoshopped with bad a perspective vaporeon etc.

For those who are saying it's hard to get an image like this from mid journey, remember that stable diffusion + whatever model you wish can be run locally and is vastly more capable and can create very convincing images compared to online generators

1000036511.jpg

Yes it is
I would suggest reading the rest of the post first. You cannot prove who did and who didn't use AI. Even the cheater in question, who used AI extremely sloppily, put a bit of effort into trying to cover it up.
They also submitted a Pikachu piece which was stylistically just like the Eevee ones, but contains far more AI traits such as lines and details that seem to go nowhere.
@ this post, but mainly at the Pikachu picture in general - what is the blob on the ground, why are the flowers randomly shifting colors, why are Pikachu's feet so weird?
Instead of focusing on the usage of AI - which you might find detestable, but it's difficult to prove unless used sloppily - this should simply be discarded for being bad and inconsistent art. It was supposedly rated by people who have some experience in art or, at least, functioning eyes. And yet, as WPM points out, the organizers even copy-pasted the number of entrants from the previous iteration. There is something really shady going on behind the scenes here.

I would suggest reading the rest of the post first. You cannot prove who did and who didn't use AI. Even the cheater in question, who used AI extremely sloppily, put a bit of effort into trying to cover it up.

@ this post, but mainly at the Pikachu picture in general - what is the blob on the ground, why are the flowers randomly shifting colors, why are Pikachu's feet so weird?
Instead of focusing on the usage of AI - which you might find detestable, but it's difficult to prove unless used sloppily - this should simply be discarded for being bad and inconsistent art. It was supposedly rated by people who have some experience in art or, at least, functioning eyes. And yet, as WPM points out, the organizers even copy-pasted the number of entrants from the previous iteration. There is something really shady going on behind the scenes here.
It's unethical to enter ai created content into contest not meant for it anyway. This is the opinion of someone who likes ai stuff to create their own original Pokemon ideas.

It's unethical to enter ai created content into contest not meant for it anyway.
I think the point is that this contest was announced before AI was "a thing" that was useful, so it wasn't considered in the rules.
Let me reiterate for the n-th time - you won't be able to catch AI that's used as a part of the process, rather than the whole process; ran locally and custom-trained on the artist's own art. There are massive projects who do that exact thing now. Disqualify these based on looking bad and generic, not hunting for traces of AI that you might never find.

really love that karry bird one. have sent it to so many of my crafty friends!!!!! such a shame it didn't make the cut, but I really hope they try again next time

I think the point is that this contest was announced before AI was "a thing" that was useful, so it wasn't considered in the rules.
Let me reiterate for the n-th time - you won't be able to catch AI that's used as a part of the process, rather than the whole process; ran locally and custom-trained on the artist's own art. There are massive projects who do that exact thing now. Disqualify these based on looking bad and generic, not hunting for traces of AI that you might never find.
IF this isn’t AI, then they shouldn’t be disqualified for it looking bad. Cause that would literally be if someone handed you a ribbon then the next day they take it back cause they think what you made looks bad. The art looks fine to me personally.

Back