News 20th Anniversary Set in September + Surfing Pikachu and M Slowbro-EX!

What I'm really not liking is that they're making the cards WORSE then their initial versions. I understand the Barrier Nerf on Mewtwo even with Ranger out as for the massive amounts of energy I have I like to test people if they can figure out what to do with Barrier Spam.

They've alter many stats so that the Pokemon is unobtainable with Level and Heavy Ball something that is really annoying to me. They also don't improve some of them as well and I like to note that with them not printing where the real power of these sets were the absurd trainer cards this is the weakest set we've had for quite sometime. I'm not saying reprint Energy Removal but that's were it's real power was.

There's also FIVE Spirit Link in this set: FIVE!!! The mixture of the Fossils and the Spirit links are a tad annoying in the previous sets but this is really obnoxious. Also I'm not seeing our tool remover so long as they want Garbotoxin to be a thing it has to be in the game pronto in item or supporter form.

... I might not be getting a box of this set. This set banks on nostalgia but none of it is really good.I want Charazard and Venasaur Links but I've been collecting those EXs for some time and with it being the crisis vine Venasaur I don't even need need those.

@Otaku Almost Night Spear just sounds funny though. Its a joke in itself. The attack has lance in the name so its almost there? I don't know. At some point I'll write a strongly worded letter to TPC.

I have another theory upon scoping out the list. Theres 2 slots for Mega Charizard, but because they have the same name, TCPi is just saying its one of 5. So in those two slots we get at #12 Mega Charizard Y like in flashfire, and then at slot #100 we get Mega Charizard X. I know youre gonna hate me for saying this, but what if the two SR slots are the two mega zards. Like that makes so much sense, instead of only reprinting one, they reprint both

on the other hand, generations got Charizard X, so we might just be getting Y. Which would suck because the X version from Flashfire was wayyyy better
Lol. Nope! M Charizard X & M Charizard Y are treated like separate Pokemon, just like the two Mewtwo's are. So if we we're getting those two Charizard's, it would sat "6 Mega Evolution Pokemon." Even if, it would make less sense for us to get a regular art M Charizard Y, & then a Full Art M Charizard X, that's not going to happen. Space #100 is for a Full Art. And two answer your last point, nope.avi. More likely than not #109 is going to be one of the Pikachu promos (either the Bread one or Trade Please!), while #110 will probally be Flying Pikachu. A. This works with the Wizard Black Star Promos numbering, leaving Pikachu first, being the first one in the numbering, then Flying Pikachu, then Surfing Pikachu, which just so happens to be their numbering. B. Let's say then our /Blastoise/Venusaur/Pikachu-EX Box promos (those Full Art's,) are Japan's Secret Rares, that would explain why the EX's are reprints, and would make the English Secret Rares Japanese Promos we didn't get, and the Japanese Secret Rares English Promos they didn't get. It works a lot better than just cramming in two M Zard's. There are no M Charizard X in this set, it makes since with Generations getting M Charizard X, and Evolutions getting M Charizard Y, leaving us with two of each print. And, it's your opinion that M Charizard X is better, that's not fact. Personally I prefer M Charizard Y, both card and design. This isn't going to happen, the English set already has six Charizard cards (Charizard, Charizard-EX, M Charizard-EX, Charizard Spirit Link, FA Charizard-EX, and FA M Charizard-EX,) and the CD Promo reprint putting it to 7, I think in the TCG's mind, that's fine. Flashfire, a set ABOUT CHARIZARD had only 6 (Charizard-EX, Charizard-EX, M Charizard-EX, M Charizard-EX, FA Charizard-EX, and FA M Charizard-EX.) In total, over the XY Block, Charizard will have had 21 Charizard cards, Greninja, Arceus, Mew, Sylveon, Genesect, and Rayquaza the highest rated Pokemon in Japan, in that order (I'm removing Pikachu because he's the series mascot, of course he will have a lot of prints,) have 8 prints (Greninja), 2 prints (Arceus, Mew, and Gensect), 4 prints (Sylveon), and 12 cards (Rayquaza.) That means all together, Japan's favorite Pokemon have 30 prints, compared to Charizard's 21. I should mention Charizard makes it 9 there, barely staying in the Top 10. Charizard has gotten way to many prints, there's a reason people get so toxic about Charizard, were not getting a M Charizard X in this set.

Sorry for the rant, here's a potato.

Lol. Nope! M Charizard X & M Charizard Y are treated like separate Pokemon, just like the two Mewtwo's are. So if we we're getting those two Charizard's, it would sat "6 Mega Evolution Pokemon." Even if, it would make less sense for us to get a regular art M Charizard Y, & then a Full Art M Charizard X, that's not going to happen. Space #100 is for a Full Art. And two answer your last point, nope.avi. More likely than not #109 is going to be one of the Pikachu promos (either the Bread one or Trade Please!), while #110 will probally be Flying Pikachu. A. This works with the Wizard Black Star Promos numbering, leaving Pikachu first, being the first one in the numbering, then Flying Pikachu, then Surfing Pikachu, which just so happens to be their numbering. B. Let's say then our /Blastoise/Venusaur/Pikachu-EX Box promos (those Full Art's,) are Japan's Secret Rares, that would explain why the EX's are reprints, and would make the English Secret Rares Japanese Promos we didn't get, and the Japanese Secret Rares English Promos they didn't get. It works a lot better than just cramming in two M Zard's. There are no M Charizard X in this set, it makes since with Generations getting M Charizard X, and Evolutions getting M Charizard Y, leaving us with two of each print. And, it's your opinion that M Charizard X is better, that's not fact. Personally I prefer M Charizard Y, both card and design. This isn't going to happen, the English set already has six Charizard cards (Charizard, Charizard-EX, M Charizard-EX, Charizard Spirit Link, FA Charizard-EX, and FA M Charizard-EX,) and the CD Promo reprint putting it to 7, I think in the TCG's mind, that's fine. Flashfire, a set ABOUT CHARIZARD had only 6 (Charizard-EX, Charizard-EX, M Charizard-EX, M Charizard-EX, FA Charizard-EX, and FA M Charizard-EX.) In total, over the XY Block, Charizard will have had 21 Charizard cards, Greninja, Arceus, Mew, Sylveon, Genesect, and Rayquaza the highest rated Pokemon in Japan, in that order (I'm removing Pikachu because he's the series mascot, of course he will have a lot of prints,) have 8 prints (Greninja), 2 prints (Arceus, Mew, and Gensect), 4 prints (Sylveon), and 12 cards (Rayquaza.) That means all together, Japan's favorite Pokemon have 30 prints, compared to Charizard's 21. I should mention Charizard makes it 9 there, barely staying in the Top 10. Charizard has gotten way to many prints, there's a reason people get so toxic about Charizard, were not getting a M Charizard X in this set.

Sorry for the rant, here's a potato.

Im actually triggered then, mega zard Y is crazy worse than the X one from flashfire, because with reshiram, and clawitzer you can get a turn 2 setup, but with the Y version you cant get anything going until turn 3 or even 4 which in turn makes it far less competitive

Black face controversy. While newer cards of Jynx have its recolored Purple face, the Base Set card has its old artwork with black face. Obviously, they can change that and recolor the artwork too but who knows how lazy they feel about it.

More like "nontroversy"... well at least it should be but yeah, just like they won't want a nuisance lawsuit from Uri Geller they won't want to deal with it. That being said, if this is the only reason they don't want to mess with the card, I would assume they would indeed just alter the face's coloration. If they have at least one more reason to skip Jynx, this just makes it easier.

Well, you can use it with Volcanion.

Yes, you can use Charizard with Volcanion but if it has any partner, I suspect it will be this Electrode... or right, they didn't just nerf the any Energy part but it only works with Lightning Types.

What I'm really not liking is that they're making the cards WORSE then their initial versions. I understand the Barrier Nerf on Mewtwo even with Ranger out as for the massive amounts of energy I have I like to test people if they can figure out what to do with Barrier Spam.

I touched on this earlier: Mulligan's Mewtwo was a joke deck. The only reason it sometimes worked back in the day was because of card scarcity and player ignorance: both meant players were running non-competitive deck ideas, or good decks built poorly. Once almost everyone and their brother were running multiple copies of Energy Removal, Gust of Wind, and/or Super Energy Removal (plus the usual power Trainers for easy access to these cards) we stopped caring about it. Well, those keeping up; for all I know I didn't try the deck until later but because back in my day, we walked uphill both ways to get a list we knew had intentionally been nerfed from a gaming magazine! XD

For Barrier to be an issue now, not only do we have to disregard Pokémon Ranger, but Crushing Hammer, Enhanced Hammer, and Team Flare Grunt. Plus you cannot have a Bench. Even after all of that... piercing attacks (or whatever we call them) that ignore the effects on the Defending Pokémon, as well as Ability and Trainer effects, just don't care. Also rival mill decks, that won't be trying to damage Mewtwo anyway.

They've alter many stats so that the Pokemon is unobtainable with Level and Heavy Ball something that is really annoying to me. They also don't improve some of them as well and I like to note that with them not printing where the real power of these sets were the absurd trainer cards this is the weakest set we've had for quite sometime. I'm not saying reprint Energy Removal but that's were it's real power was.

There's also FIVE Spirit Link in this set: FIVE!!! The mixture of the Fossils and the Spirit links are a tad annoying in the previous sets but this is really obnoxious. Also I'm not seeing our tool remover so long as they want Garbotoxin to be a thing it has to be in the game pronto in item or supporter form.

Well, the real problem isn't that we have these cards in this set, it is that these mechanics were a "thing' in the first place. I mean, Spirit Link cards are boring but needed by Mega Evolutions. I suppose the new Fossil cards are rarely used, even with their counterparts so those might be optional. XD

Actually, the English release of the card changed the artwork to purple, so it's already done.

I never noticed that, honestly. From what I read just now, it was only in subsequent prints though. Still, the Japanese card has the black face. If the japanese didn't bother to change the card for this release, then there's no Jynx.

I really want to use M Pidgeot. I am not really sure if the three colerless for 130 and some disruption is really worth mega evolving for...? I guess it could be usable with DCE. I always have liked powerhouse pokemon with a 0 retreat cost. And, pidgeot does not really have to worry about that electric weakness now that joltik is gone.

Unless raikou decks get big, that is.

I really want to use M Pidgeot. I am not really sure if the three colerless for 130 and some disruption is really worth mega evolving for...? I guess it could be usable with DCE. I always have liked powerhouse pokemon with a 0 retreat cost. And, pidgeot does not really have to worry about that electric weakness now that joltik is gone.

Unless raikou decks get big, that is.
Maybe use Golbat and regular Pidgeot to spread damage and then Mega Evolve when necessary?

I really like Zapdos. It could be a thing with Magnezone, as it gets 150 HP with FFB and dishes out a flat 180. Not only that, it only gives up 1 prize, and is spammable with Fisherman. Raikou is (IMO) inferior because it requires more energy to do more damage than Zapdos. For example, Zapdos with FFB and 4 energy does a flat 180, while Raikou with 4 energy and FFB only does 140. Zapdos/Jolteon/Magnezone anyone?

One thing could be fixed here-the Mega Charizard is likely the Y version from Flashfire, given that the other starters were reprints and Charizard Y is 1 of the 4 pack arts. So I think it would be safe to add the Flashfire text.

I'm shocked at all the negative comments, I for one am really excited for this set! Will be buying some packs.
I'm excited too, it's just that a lot of the cards we've seen so far are very bad. The good cards are few are far between, and a couple are borderline good. That's not to say the reprint idea is bad, it's just that this set seems to be more geared toward collectors, which I don't like. The collector/player appeal ratio of a set should be balanced.

So I'm just pretty much done with this set. Full charizard line AND multiple exs? WHERE IS THE BULBASAUR LINE OR THE SQUIRTLE LINE?!!?! If this set is supposed to make me feel nostalgic, it failed. Bulbasaur was my life and I hated charmander line so much. Like seriously, if your a fan of any starter this isn't charizard this set is just slapping you in the face.

So I'm just pretty much done with this set. Full charizard line AND multiple exs? WHERE IS THE BULBASAUR LINE OR THE SQUIRTLE LINE?!!?! If this set is supposed to make me feel nostalgic, it failed. Bulbasaur was my life and I hated charmander line so much. Like seriously, if your a fan of any starter this isn't charizard this set is just slapping you in the face.
While I am a Charizard fan, you are right. Venusaur and Blastoise need remakes. Think of all the fun that could be had with Blastoise and Max Potion/Venusaur!

I really like Zapdos. It could be a thing with Magnezone, as it gets 150 HP with FFB and dishes out a flat 180. Not only that, it only gives up 1 prize, and is spammable with Fisherman. Raikou is (IMO) inferior because it requires more energy to do more damage than Zapdos. For example, Zapdos with FFB and 4 energy does a flat 180, while Raikou with 4 energy and FFB only does 140. Zapdos/Jolteon/Magnezone anyone?

Raikou does less damage but it doesn't discard its Energy either; with a Fighting Fury Belt to buff it to 160 HP and -20 damage from its Ability, in my early testing it trades well with almost everything else. The new Zapdos can do 170 for four... once. Then you have to invest another four Energy, should it survive. Unless you are facing Fighting Types (when it obviously has the edge) then Raikou has 10 more HP (plus while the Ability is working, takes 20 less damage). It might cost more Energy, but Raikou can also load up to take down targets bigger than Zapdos can OHKO; yes this is tricky and risky but it can be done. This does give Zapdos a potential use though, but I don't know yet if Magnezone decks are really going to take hold or not. Also despite being hard on it earlier, because hey it really has been badly nerfed, the new Electrode might actually work backing up some of the Lightning Evolutions that just cannot fit into a deck with Magnezone.

The collector/player appeal ratio of a set should be balanced.

I wish to point out that these are not mutually exclusive and/or may not need to be balanced.

Players are the most demanding and the smallest group... but very little of what they want will negatively impact the average collector.

Collectors can still be demanding, but much of it can be done in a way that makes players happy there are collectors out there. Release a competitive card and now released a Full Art version that is an Ultra Rare or Secret Rare. The player can use either, but if the cost difference is significant and he or she isn't the type who feels the need to bling out a deck, the version more tempting to the collector can be traded or sold to the collector. Of course done wrong one or both party's feel cheated, but done properly both feel enriched; the player is going to value the collector targeted card less than the collector.

The problem is when "collector cards" are their own separate thing. We don't need more filler, especially when it has the potential to not be filler but a valuable card. You know, like Tropical Beach. @_@

Oh... and before either collectors, players, or collector/players think themselves the most important... there are people who don't really play or collect and just get a booster pack on a whim or as a "toy" or just because its Pokémon. They may only do this a few times a year, or maybe once a week, while a collector or player is buying a box or two of each set but these "Neither" players outnumber the rest of us by a significant number. At least that is the impression that I get. ;)

Clefairy is no longer a normal type (I think) so it can't be a normal type in this set.

And does anyone find it weird that Ghastly and Haunter are in here but not Gengars?

@Otaku

The only way to play Barrier Mewtwo is one Mewtwo and fifty-nine Psychic .Only then is it a true terror.

Not really I play it for some laughs. When you have enough basic energy you have to have the ONE deck that's just dumb.

@Otaku

The only way to play Barrier Mewtwo is one Mewtwo and fifty-nine Psychic .Only then is it a true terror.

That is known as "Mulligan's Mewtwo". I believe I learned about it from the pages of InQuest magazine (Edit: Back in like 1999 or 2000). The name comes because you'll mulligan until you hit your lone Mewtwo. A careless opponent will make it that much easier to his or herself to deck out. Keep in mind back then, you drew two cards per mulligan, not one. While I believe it was still optional, I also think the original rules had your opponent perform the bonus draw with each mulligan, making it easier for them to draw without realizing what is happening until the seventh time. ;)

Not really I play it for some laughs. When you have enough basic energy you have to have the ONE deck that's just dumb.
Indeed. XD When I went to use it, I thought it was a real deck (either I didn't get the joke, or someone at InQuest thought it was serious =P).

Back