(5) Victini Deck Cards, Victory Medal, Claim Eeveelution, Lenora, Ash Captures [5/17]

The new design for the medals is awesome!

Not like I'd be getting one soon, but thats beside the point

Hm... I had always just assumed that Sugimori art of Lenora with her apron over her shoulder was just alternate art... I never would have guessed it was a redesign to avoid controversy. That's weird.

Anyway, the idea of Ash actually catching a Legendary in one of the films would be pretty cool, but it wouldn't matter to me if he did or didn't catch one since, as mentioned, it wouldn't last very long.

I actually like a lot of the new cards printed, they could have some potential to be an interesting rogue. I really like the new Victini, that is if you are lucky, 120 damage for 1 psychic is just too funny to resist. It could easily be slipped into any deck as a counter to something your deck has problems with, use Revives, bring it back if you miss the flips. IDK just brainstorming.

Wow. A lot of news. I like the cards shown for the 2 decks. They look pretty cool and I like the single card shown as wel. I also like the new addition to the 2nd Gym Leader and I also liked the new stuff for the movies also XD.:)

Both victinis attacks are bad I mean 120 is good but very low chance of hitting. And maybe the scan of the medal is a misprint.

Fire Victini= obviously goes well in Reshiram/Emboar

I'm surprised though that they changed Lenora. People need to get over it. Look at Whimsicott, it has dark skin, semi-exclusive to Black version, it's abilities are Prankster and Infiltrator, and it is based on cotton. Is it racist? No, It's OU.

EDIT: Fixed Slip Through to its English name.

Hm... I had always just assumed that Sugimori art of Lenora with her apron over her shoulder was just alternate art... I never would have guessed it was a redesign to avoid controversy. That's weird.
I knew that quite a while ago.
Also, it's good to know that I am not the only person who feels that way about Whimsicott. (You noticed it too.)

Regarding the new structure decks, that Psychic Victini is downright hilarious, but I absolutely love the Cofa print, both the ability and the artwork. Say hello to the Ever-living Mummy.

I'm likin' that Fire-type Victini. Two Energy for 120? And all you need is a packed Bench? Sickness. Pack your deck with Pokemon Collector and we'll be on our way. Shame that the Pokemon has 70 HP though.

Nice Victory Medal design, and I'm interested by Lenora's design change. I never recognized that allusion until now. Pretty impressed TPCi picked up on it.

...it's actually two for 100, but it isn't that far off. The Psychic one is the one that hits for 120.

Lovely how everyone forgets to mention that the apron is part of the uniform she wears for her job/craft.
That's like saying a Scientist's lab coat could be potentially racist.
People need to seriously get over themselves. It's not like Blacks were the only slaves in history. (lol at the Whimsicott I didn't make that connection.)
I also agree with Mudkip about the Psychic Victini, must have.

Is Grimsley in this pic???

corocoro-victini-theme-deck.jpg

Can anyone translate the text nearby the Grimsley-like character? The one above looks like N, too.

gary182000 said:
Both victinis attacks are bad I mean 120 is good but very low chance of hitting. And maybe the scan of the medal is a misprint.

Because of the copyright date? Doubtful. They probably just printed these Victory Medals at the same time as the Fall medals, they've just been sitting in a warehouse for a few months is all.

No if any pokemon controversy is happening it should be bc of Scraggy I mean c'mon he sags his pants and Scrafty is just as worse, on his card it reads, "Groups of them beat up anything that enters their territory." Sound like a gang to you? I didn't really notice Whimsicott though she just reminds me of some girl from Jersey Shore.

Oh come on guys, there are black stereotypes EVERYWHERE, I have seen FAR WORST. Have you seen some manga's depiction of a black man? If I don't see her other than Aunt Jamima the first time I saw her, people are clearly thinking too much; this is coming from a guy that thinks too much all day, everyday.

Strangely, whenever I see the Scarfty line, I immediately think of AMBER LAMPS. I wonder why...

Well, I'm about to collect my 7 Eeveelutions... too bad it will moot soon as Japan is potentially getting Female DW Eevees very soon. (If not female, they at least have access to Baton Pass now =P)

EeveeLv99 said:
I'm surprised though that they changed Lenora. People need to get over it. Look at Whimsicott, it has dark skin, semi-exclusive to Black version, it's abilities are Prankster and Infiltrator, and it is based on cotton. Is it racist? No, It's OU.

Yes, I agree that it is strange as to why they changed Lenora's design, but I want to point out two important concepts at play here. One is cultural significance. The way something or someone appears and is perceived here is not the same as elsewhere. This is not the first time Pokemon has been altered for other countries (Just look at Season 1, Beauty and the Beach & Safari Zone episodes, etc.).

But second and more importantly, this character, as WPM said, is the FIRST major black character in Pokemon. Brock has darker skin too, but may be viewed by audiences as more of an Asian character. I didn't see Whimsicott as you saw it, nor did I see Jynx as a problem, but Lenora is different because she is a person, and a gym leader too! The Japanese were only being sensitive in the depiction of another race. And because, like we said, she is one of the ONLY darker-skinned characters in a global franchise, her image must be dealt with carefully.

Also to be commended is Pokemon's choice in Iris as the main heroine in the show. She's the first girl of darker skin and not just from the same model as Misty, May and Dawn. I was pretty annoyed when people started picking on Iris based solely on her first released image. But it shows that Pokemon sees racial integration as something worth the risk of fan reaction. Now if the Pokemon games would allow us to pick a skin tone, that would really impress me and I'm sure, millions of fans worldwide.

P.S. If you're interested, here's an interesting interview that WPM did with former Pokemon director, Masamitsu Hidaka, that discusses the racial reason behind replacing Brock with Tracey during the Orange Islands Series. Just search for "Brock" and you will find it. I don't agree with their reasoning here, but I'm just glad they decided to bring Brock back! Thanks for reading!
http://pokebeach.com/2008/07/second-pokemon-interview-with-masamitsu-hidaka-many-interesting-points

Back