Are These Cards Real or Fake?

RE: The "Merchandise Help" Thread

Patriots Fan said:
So I was looking through eBay listings, and found a binder lot of Pokemon cards, which happens to include a Shadowless Base Set Charizard. I asked the seller if he could provide more pics, and if he would be willing to sell it by itself. He replied back, saying that he thinks it's fake but isn't 100% sure.

Just wanted to ask you guys if it's real or not. As far as I can tell, maybe the coloring on the front looks off, but I'm not 100% sure either lol. Thanks in advance :)

^^^ Had to save the screen cap as a pdf file.

What I find weird about the card is not the text, actually, it's the W/R/RC Energy Symbols. :/

Luispipe8 said:
Patriots Fan said:
So I was looking through eBay listings, and found a binder lot of Pokemon cards, which happens to include a Shadowless Base Set Charizard. I asked the seller if he could provide more pics, and if he would be willing to sell it by itself. He replied back, saying that he thinks it's fake but isn't 100% sure.

Just wanted to ask you guys if it's real or not. As far as I can tell, maybe the coloring on the front looks off, but I'm not 100% sure either lol. Thanks in advance :)

^^^ Had to save the screen cap as a pdf file.

What I find weird about the card is not the text, actually, it's the W/R/RC Energy Symbols. :/

Yeah, especially the Resistance one. Thanks for pointing that out, I somehow missed that lol xD

seems like base set first or second printing card to me

RE: Are These Cards Real or Fake?

I'm no master of this kind of thing, certainly, and the image is a rather low quality, but I would lean towards real. The text seems fine and there are no typos. The energy symbols at the bottom do look weird, but I pulled out my own shadowless Charizard to compare and it, too, has a very dark resistance symbol and it seems to match up. If it is fake, it's a pretty well-done one. Would be interesting to know why the guy thinks it's fake; since he has the real card itself he'd be a better authority.

Thanks for the responses :)

So now we're at 2-1 in favor of it being real. I've decided to buy it from him, probably very cheaply since he thinks it's fake. I'll post better pictures of it if he does indeed sell them to me, and if it is fake, I guess I can always trade it to someone who collects fakes.

RE: Card Errors Database - Provide a Picture When Reporting Errors - No Misprints

This is the first I saw this. I have never seen those stamps on anywhere else besides the left side where there is usually nothing. I have seen cards with missing set symbols where there should be one like the Jungle Electrode. An ex friend of mines brother had one of those. It was a Jungle Electrode without the Jungle symbol on the card but I have heard those errors are now very common. They used to be rare for that to happen. We have so many cheaters now so now we can't tell if it is real or fake. We used to be able to detect that but sadly not now.:(

If it is a Purple back it is a fake. If you see anything suspicious on any card that you know should not be there it is most likely a fake too.:)

Patriots Fan said:
Thanks for the responses :)

So now we're at 2-1 in favor of it being real. I've decided to buy it from him, probably very cheaply since he thinks it's fake. I'll post better pictures of it if he does indeed sell them to me, and if it is fake, I guess I can always trade it to someone who collects fakes.

Definitely give us an update! I vote fake but I'm curious

Update: Aww, guess we'll never know now. He sold the entire binder and just messaged me about it :/
Somehow, I get the feeling he had read my last message (I offered him $5 for the Zard lol) but decided to hold out and see if he get the $100 he was asking. Hopefully whoever bought the binder didn't get duped, since the Charizard was basically the only card in the lot that was worth anything.

Patriots Fan said:
since the Charizard was basically the only card in the lot that was worth anything.

Not really. I enlarged your picture and it looks to be in played condition.

omahanime said:
Patriots Fan said:
since the Charizard was basically the only card in the lot that was worth anything.

Yeah, it is in played condition. The other picture he sent me was of the back, and it has a good amount of edge/cornerwear. But hey, I offered him basically nothing for the Shadowless Charizard. If it was in fact real, even in played condition, I've seen them for around $40-ish. I could've dumped it quickly for $15. Heck, I was bidding on a Mint one and the price shot up quickly to $51 with about 4 days left in the auction :/

If it were the normal unlimited one, then I would agree with you that it would'be be worth much. Good thing I asked him for pics. Whoever bought the lot overpaid by alot, and that's even if the 'Zard is real.

Patriots Fan said:
omahanime said:

Yeah, it is in played condition. The other picture he sent me was of the back, and it has a good amount of edge/cornerwear. But hey, I offered him basically nothing for the Shadowless Charizard. If it was in fact real, even in played condition, I've seen them for around $40-ish. I could've dumped it quickly for $15. Heck, I was bidding on a Mint one and the price shot up quickly to $51 with about 4 days left in the auction :/

If it were the normal unlimited one, then I would agree with you that it would'be be worth much. Good thing I asked him for pics. Whoever bought the lot overpaid by alot, and that's even if the 'Zard is real.

Wow! I would never thought that card with 2 rolled corners would worth so much.

omahanime said:
Patriots Fan said:

Wow! I would never thought that card with 2 rolled corners would worth so much.

Yes, but only because it's Charizard lol.

RE: Card Errors Database - Provide a Picture When Reporting Errors - No Misprints

xxashxx said:
This is the first I saw this. I have never seen those stamps on anywhere else besides the left side where there is usually nothing. I have seen cards with missing set symbols where there should be one like the Jungle Electrode. An ex friend of mines brother had one of those. It was a Jungle Electrode without the Jungle symbol on the card but I have heard those errors are now very common. They used to be rare for that to happen. We have so many cheaters now so now we can't tell if it is real or fake. We used to be able to detect that but sadly not now.:(

It's easy enough to tell when a first edition stamp is fake. It's blurry, it's smudge, it may not be centered. But I can understand why casual collectors fall for it.

As for people faking the jungle error cards I don't think that's possible lol

Hey guys, Chondosaur here I recently pulled a Mew EX that had a stripe 1/4 inch in height going from side to side on the card, the stripe isn't holo-ed, I opened the Legendary Treasures booster pack and it came like that, its probably nothing special but I would like your guy's input! :D Thanks!

If you would post an image, it could be better. :D Just so we can see it more clearly.

The stripe is a manufactures error. During the printing process one of the ink heads scraped the card. It is rare but occasionally this will happen if the ink toner was low or is low on ink. Which means the head(s) were not saturated in enough ink to prevent the scape on the card(s) Not sure how much it would be worth if anything at all though.:)

I have never seen this before. I have the real cards. Have had them since gen 1.:)

So, was surfing on eBay and found this. Is it real or fake?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Charizard-1st-Edition-4-Base-Set-Holo-/121419097102?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=ILgF6twQ%252FGRULSt9MJAbxnJKLpM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Patriots Fan said:
So, was surfing on eBay and found this. Is it real or fake?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Charizard-1st-Edition-4-Base-Set-Holo-/121419097102?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=ILgF6twQ%252FGRULSt9MJAbxnJKLpM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I don't happen to be an expert on old cards, so take this with a grain of salt, but...

I believe that the card is either fake or modified; it is a shadowed card, but has a first edition stamp on it. All first edition base set cards were shadowless (iirc), which means that the card must be either fake, or the stamp must be fake. Either way, not worth your money.

Back