Back to Basics Project: Now with Base Set 2!

RE: Back to Basics Project: Complete!

I'm starting up a Skype league for this project, where people can battle over Skype. This should be helpful for those who don't have people to play near them. If you want to be added, PM me your Skype username.

Well, I'm back from my two month hiatus and I'm celebrating my one year anniversary of being involved with the Pokemon TCG competition scene. Okay, back on topic, I really like this idea, because on TCGO, I tried to build a deck, but the deck I tried to build is now no longer viable, and I cannot get any of the big basics, and I really like the way I could get these cards, and I could relax a little, knowing that 170 HP Mewtwo EX (like things) aren't running around here. What I also like is how I could get those cards, as I don't need to trade or spend money. But the only problem I find is that the cards are slightly underpowered, because I do not feel very comfortable knowing that my Pokemon could be 3HKO'd and the fact that stuff like Zekrom have only 80 HP, and I feel that it should be buffed to about 80 or 90 HP, since it's a very powerful legendary.

OU Pokemon said:
Well, I'm back from my two month hiatus and I'm celebrating my one year anniversary of being involved with the Pokemon TCG competition scene. Okay, back on topic, I really like this idea, because on TCGO, I tried to build a deck, but the deck I tried to build is now no longer viable, and I cannot get any of the big basics, and I really like the way I could get these cards, and I could relax a little, knowing that 170 HP Mewtwo EX (like things) aren't running around here. What I also like is how I could get those cards, as I don't need to trade or spend money. But the only problem I find is that the cards are slightly underpowered, because I do not feel very comfortable knowing that my Pokemon could be 3HKO'd and the fact that stuff like Zekrom have only 80 HP, and I feel that it should be buffed to about 80 or 90 HP, since it's a very powerful legendary.
I based the power level off the ex sets. Sift through those a little and you'll see that the HP and damage outputs are very similar. I think we've seen the effects high-HP basics have on the format... they are not good. :p Many of the EX basics will have high HP.

Celebi23 said:
I based the power level off the ex sets. Sift through those a little and you'll see that the HP and damage outputs are very similar. I think we've seen the effects high-HP basics have on the format... they are not good. :p Many of the EX basics will have high HP.

The ex-sets? Oh right, I get it now! Thanks for helping me understand the power levels better :). But I want to make something clear, since I certainly do not advocate for stuff like the 130 HP basics we are having nowadays, but I'm talking about Legendaries with no more than 90 or 100 HP, like Mewtwo, Groudon, Rayquaza, and Zekrom. Then as the Legendary Pokemon get weaker, like Latios, Entei, and stuff like Lugia and Heatran for example, they would have 80 HP, then the weakest Legendaries, like Mew, Celebi, and Uxie would have 60 or 70 HP.

Yeah, that makes a little sense. I'm more worried about creating a healthy meta than I am about accurately representing each Pokémon (that would be especially hard for me since I don't play the videogames). However, I'll try to be a little more accurate from now on.

Why are there only Sp. Metal and Dark energy? Shouldnt there be regular ones as well?

How would you turn these cards into a real card, every time I try, the words get all blury, and I can't read them :/

olimar1023 said:
Why are there only Sp. Metal and Dark energy? Shouldnt there be regular ones as well?
Nope. Judging by your join date, I'm guessing you didn't play pre-DP.

Celebi23 said:
Nope. Judging by your join date, I'm guessing you didn't play pre-DP.

I did play pre-DP.
I just didnt know why you wouldnt have them in this game.

Oh. I can explain that.

Basically, I felt that 10 types is too many when they all operate more or less the same way. Even 8 is pushing it in my book, but it helps that Colorless and Dragon operate slightly differently than the others. So I wanted to go back to the old way of doing it, with Dark and Metal being different from the "main" six types. In the next couple sets, I'll release a way to "generate" basic Dark/Metal Energy, but they won't be physically available. Basically, the types offer some interesting design space when they're made different from all the other ones.

Just a question, but would you ever release a Pokemon Collector-like cards (With restrictions or course! Like the basics have to be under 50 or 60 HP and no *Pokemon)?

I don't think so. It also doesn't really matter since energies are universal for pokemon.

Hey, I'm new here, and I really like your idea for the TCG. I've noticed that the card layout has the normal sprites as illustrations, so here goes my proposal: I can contribute freely with some illustrations. To be more old school, I don't work with digital art, just classic acrylic or watercolors. Tell me what you think, this project really looks great, and It would be a pleasure to contribute.

Currently I have been painting Magic The Gathering cards (altering them with acrylics), so I'm leaving here my gallery for you to make an impression. http://sligh16.deviantart.com/

Sorry for my bad english, I mainly speak spanish.

Saw this on the news portion of the front page.
Made a very rough template of what one of these cards could look like, Tell me what you guys think.

http://i.imgur.com/Tk2WN.png

I didn't insert the image, because it made completely huge.

Looks... interesting? Problem is that I can't open the link to the Wordpress page. Is that site down or is just happening with me?

Alright, I need some input. And to make it a little more exciting, I'll give a spoiler for a future card along with it. It probably won't be released in the next set, though. Anyway, after getting numerous suggestions about the layout of the cards, I've come up with a brand new one. It sacrifices a little bit of image size for a top banner and larger text font.

2n9f9tc.jpg

What do you guys think of it? Any suggestions? Which one do you like better?

I like that one. I would suggest that you color code the energy symbols.

[W][W][C]

Back