Ban Mewtwo EX?

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah I know alot of people are gonna hate me for bringing this up but I feel it's important, especially for the health of the Pokemon TCG. I feel that Mewtwo EX is very unbalanced for the current format and that having players pay $200+ for 3 copies in one deck just to compete and win the Mewtwo War is outrageous. Sure you can run a few Revives and or Super Rod to get around it but it probably won't work as good as having all 3 in the deck.

It's the ultimate double-edged sword where whoever X Balls second in a Mewtwo War usually wins and it makes games too luck based. I could see where Mewtwo applies some kind of skill but it's really more dependent on energy attachments for X Ball. Someone will top cut with CMT or ZekEels at an event like States only to start a Mewtwo War, this scenario happens in almost every game played between those 2 decks either against eachother or mirror matchup.

It's almost as If everyone is playing the same deck where it's become not about the deck winning with it's own heavy hitters that isn't Mewtwo but relying so much on Mewtwo itself to where the TCG has become whoever X Ball's their Opponent's Mewtwo for 2 prizes usually wins. It kind of drives me nuts thinking about it. The only thing that isn't broken about Mewtwo EX is how it delivers Type Coverage for decks that need it like ZekEels. Of course Terrakion and Donphan are problems for ZekEels which is a part of why Mewtwo EX comes in handy but for some odd reason it didn't seem to do the job well enough.

No. People still use strayergy to get rid of this monster. VVV was pretty much created as an EX counter. 1 hit from a Vanilluxe's Double Freeze kills this thing bad. Zekrom EX doesn't have such a bad time agaist this. Infact Mewtwo has hard time agaist most EXs (Zekrom and Regigigas esspecially). Also Nintendo won't start using the system Wizards used.

Edit:
Whilst I don't own any Mewtwo nor have the money to buy any I don't reallly care. So long as it doesn't get a friend for it's own deck I'm not fussed about this monster. I'm not saying it's not a good card I'm just saying the meta doesn't rely on it. The meta would have some minor changes and new decks would be made. Also whats out there, is out there.

It doesn't need to be banned. It makes the game more strategic because Mewtwo wars are set off by a player and both players should have an answer to it. It makes the games faster and makes some of the pokemon not used as much, but it adds strategy. Mewtwo shall live on.

Money should not be an issue for people who want to do well competitively. Just the same, people build their decks sometimes with other cards in mind - like Tyrogue to hit Tynamo or even building the Terrakion deck. Mewtwo is just another card to be prepared for. Play in the war, then you'll see the strategy. I know I'd rather have a second one instead of banning it.

Card Slinger, I think your biggest complaint is, "I don't have enough money to afford any Mewtwos!" Mewtwo-EX is a great card for the format, because it forces each player be prepared for the Mewtwo drop. Not to mention Mewtwo is a good card all around.

Psst, I heared Mewtwo EX' usage will drop / M2 will become non-staple after Rayquaza EX comes out. Have patience.

While I am inclined to agree, I do hate this card, I can see the benefits it brings as well. It takes care of heavy hitting enemies and doesn't do much to Pokemon that don't need much energy, say, Chandelure. The issue is, however, that since it only requires a {C}{C} instead of a {P}{C} to attack, the entire card becomes a gimmick. The only reason it is used is to counter other Mewtwo EXs. If no one runs it, then there's no need to counter it; it's a closed circle. If he had to use one {P} for X-Ball, then this entire card would be very, very different, making MTC not even usable and DCE only used as an amp-up, not as ignition.

So, I do very much dislike this card. Additionally, while I'm a person who can afford them, many of them even, I also don't think I'm the only player in the world. No Juniors or Seniors should be expected to run this card, yet in this format, it's required. Those kids don't have jobs, they have no income, and to rely on their parents that much just for 1-2 cards is just very, VERY bad game design. If, instead, the card stayed the same but it was $10-15 per, I could agree, however, $60-75 (I sold a FA for $85!) for a card that must be run in 2-3 copies in every single competitive deck isn't fair to every player.

It's not about the price, it's about the accessibility of the card. While it's impossible to make a competitive card game where your wallet doesn't decide what you run or how good you are, there should of course be realizations that sometimes a threshold is crossed.

Yea, I only have 1. I have been buying packs every now and then to test my luck, I have only pulled 1. I opted to run Revive, and it works okay, but it is not the same. I have to make sure I get that Revive in discard pile ASAP in order to get the full effect of it, or thin my deck out fast just to keep up in the Mewtwo war. I don't think it needs to be banned, but I think it would help the card game immensly to have it as a Promo. It would lower the price and increase the availability of it.

To me, Mewtwo EX is just the next wave in a continuously changing, healthy game.

But Mewtwo has basically reshaped a healthy meta into a pile of CMT and Eels. What‘s good about that? This predictable duo of top decks allowed new rogues and old decks to pop up and feed off these decks, creating a new diverse meta. Granted, it‘s not as open as pre-ND, but we have a top tier of Eels, CMT and Durant (with Terrakion variants in T1.5), and a wide range of tier 2 decks that have a good shot at winning.

So, in short, Mewtwo does not seem to stifle creative deckbuilding, and is not bad for the game in that respect. The price tags put on it by the secondary market are what is hurting the game.

Emopanda133 said:
Mewtwo EX is the new Neo Genisis Sneasel. Over powered and makes all other decks easy to beat.

How does it make all other decks easy to beat? They play Mewtwo too.

@Emopanda: How is it in any way like Sneasel? Mewtwo isn't a deck, Sneasel was. Mewtwo isn't like "OH WELL I RUN 2-3 MEWTWO SO NOW I'M GONNA BEAT EVERY DECK!!!1" but Sneasel was. Mewtwo is a splashable tech, meaning any deck goes well with Mewtwo easily. There really isn't much that can autowin against something because of Mewtwo.

Futachimaru said:
Card Slinger, I think your biggest complaint is, "I don't have enough money to afford any Mewtwos!" Mewtwo-EX is a great card for the format, because it forces each player be prepared for the Mewtwo drop. Not to mention Mewtwo is a good card all around.

I already have 2 Mewtwo EX's in one deck, my biggest complaint is that I can't afford a 3rd one without risking not pulling anything good out of a box of Next Destinies, that would be $110 down the drain right there. I got extremely lucky on my 2nd box as with my 1st box didn't have any Mewtwo at all.

Emopanda133 said:
Mewtwo EX is the new Neo Genisis Sneasel. Over powered and makes all other decks easy to beat.

But here's the thing, Neo Genesis Sneasel got reprinted and nerfed down in HS Undaunted. The way the game was back then when Sneasel was first printed it was overpowered and so was the Slowking that came from the very same set back then. But yeah I see where you're getting at though.

CSJ, you make centralization sound like a bad thing, of which it is not. Centralization has always been a factor in the TCG. It's healthy if the game becomes more centralized, as without centralization it would be full of too many decks to tech or test against (this is the same for most competitive games without a well-defined factor). While uncentralization does provide variety, it's also unrealistically possible to tech against everything in an uncentralized metagame.

On this note, I don't think Mewtwo is the cause of centralization, rather it's the big HP basics that we have today. Mewtwo just turns the game in to a more skill-based and costly enviroment. If you cannot afford it then tough luck. Be happy this isn't YGO or MTG.

Since when does paper cost so much. :/

Card Slinger J said:
I already have 2 Mewtwo EX's in one deck, my biggest complaint is that I can't afford a 3rd one without risking not pulling anything good out of a box of Next Destinies, that would be $110 down the drain right there. I got extremely lucky on my 2nd box as with my 1st box didn't have any Mewtwo at all.

But here's the thing, Neo Genesis Sneasel got reprinted and nerfed down in HS Undaunted. The way the game was back then when Sneasel was first printed it was overpowered and so was the Slowking that came from the very same set back then. But yeah I see where you're getting at though.

Why would you buy a box to try to get a Mewtwo when you can get one flat out for 50? No risks there.

iisnumber12 said:
Why would you buy a box to try to get a Mewtwo when you can get one flat out for 50? No risks there.

^ because you can get other things than mewtwo in a box, or potentially 2 in one box.
And this is weird cause i was talking about banning mewtwo yesterday, and if they would. Me and my friends said there was no way. Just because everyone plays it doesn't mean it needs to get banned. If it is a very broken card, then yes, they will ban it. Mewtwo isn't broken, it is just a very annoying card to deal with.

zacko2910 said:
^ because you can get other things than mewtwo in a box, or potentially 2 in one box.
And this is weird cause i was talking about banning mewtwo yesterday, and if they would. Me and my friends said there was no way. Just because everyone plays it doesn't mean it needs to get banned. If it is a very broken card, then yes, they will ban it. Mewtwo isn't broken, it is just a very annoying card to deal with.

Are you willing to take that risk? Especially if you have the other cards you need in NXD?

zacko2910 said:

No. Just no. There is no guarantee that you will even get 1 Mewtwo in a box. By friend bought a box and didn't pull 1 Mewtwo. And besides, you can probably buy 1 Mewtwo and just about everything else you need in NXD for under $70.

Wha? NA Mewtwo EX went from $75 to $50 a piece? On eBay it's valued at $60-70 for the NA and the FA is around $75-80 a piece. At best the price value only went down by $10 or $5 on Mewtwo EX. That's not very much when the Secondary Market is making it difficult for players to compete without Mewtwo.

You will be hard pressed to find ANYONE who is willing to sell or trade a Mewtwo EX at your local card shop that's not online and If you do consider yourself very lucky. Most of my friends who have Mewtwo EX can't trade or sell it cause of how much of a staple card it's become in a majority of decks.

Back