Best deck for the $$

roamzero

Aspiring Trainer
This is my first time into the game (played Magic before this some years back). Anyway, I was looking for some advice on what's the best deck I can make for the least amount of of cash? I figured buying individual cards would be better than going the booster route, right now I only have the Infernape theme deck that introduced me to the game, so I'd like to build on that deck and make another one or two. I'm not looking for anything uber just want to keep the games interesting and competitive :cool:

Thanks in advance for any and all advice/tips!

There's an article by lou cypher for swift budget friendly deck(mightyena). It's decent deck and mightyena that become focus of this deck is uncommon.

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=40050

I suggest you buy staple cards that you will always use in your deck first like for example: bebe's search and roseanne's research for supporter. Yes,it's cheaper to just buy cards you need than buy booster pack, unless you're collector.

TurnCruel
Empoleon Variants
Mighty Shades

They're the three best decks for the money it takes to build them.

I woudl say that Claydol GE is needed, 2 of them. They cost now like 10-15 $ each, then the Supporters (Bebe's Searches, Rosenane's Researches, Cynthias feelings...) are also same in every deck, after that you need only good attacker, cheap one, if you are looking for, you should try Groudonk, T2 Groudon for 100 and every turn after it...
Here is simple list:

Pokes:
4x Groudon LA (3-5 $ each) (hits and loads)
2x Baltoy GE (0.5 $ each)
2x Claydol GE (10-15 $ each)
2x Regirock LA (3-5 $ each) (loads energys from dicarpile to it self)
=10

Supporetrs:
4x Bebe's Seach SW/MT (2-4 $ each)
4x Roseanne's Research SW (3-5 $ each)
4x Cynthia's Fellings LA (4-7 $ each)
=12+10=22

There was the expensive part...

Trainers:
4x Stark Mountain LA (2-4 $ each) (moves energys to Groudosn)
4x Enrgy Pick Up (2-4 $ each)
2x Night Maintenace (2-5 $ each)
=10+22=32

Energys:
28x Fighing (you may ask, why so much, you need 3 for T1... Read the card, Groudon and ask after...)

That's 108 $ and it totally ready for competitions. 108 $ is cheap when you star with nothing, but you cna use the engine, Claydols and Supporters and NMs in every of your Deck, so special cards of this deck, Groudons, Regorocks and NMs and Stark Mountains are cheap... So i count that its like 108-200 for a deck that can win any tournamen there is....

Thanks for the tips so far. Where would you say is the best source to buy singles? Ebay seems good, but is it the best? Also some of these decks have specific names (turncruel, etc). Is there a good site/source to look up the basic cards for these deck types? Some of the t2 decks look fun, I also looked at the Kricketune deck and it seems like it might be cheap too. Keep in mind that this is mainly for casual play every now and then. Im tempted to buy those world championship decks and sticking my cards in sleeves to cover the backs :3 That might be too cheap though (and I want some customization options if I ever add cards in the future, mix and and match for different decks).

omg kricketune is really fun and it will be better when great ball is released
yea go with ebay or you can accumulate trades on here in the trade thread

trevorispro said:
I would not drop 30$ on this deck^
go with emoleon variants

I agree, 108 for a deck like that no wayy!

i think the best way to go is to grab like majestic dawn starter deck, preferably leafeon, or even the magmortar sw is good, and just add little modifications that wouldnt cost much, this way ur only looking at like $40 .. like for instance into the magmortar deck, u cud also throw in ur old infernape chain, get another 1-2 infernapes, and his lv x is cheap(comes promo in tin), and then i seen magmortars on sale for $1 a peice, and then go get some supporters, usually like .50 - $1 each, maybe a bit more, and thats about it .. the key to a good deck is consistency, u need alot of duplicates to help ur draw results ... well this is just my opinion, cuz i only spent $7 of mods on my starter deck, empoleon, and i placed 3rd in Br's with it, cuz im not really a big money spender on cards ... well yea thats about it

why is no1 suggesting houndoom?

houndoom isn't expensive and its an pretty good deck the only expenive part is the trainers

Want a deck that is relatively cheap and doesn't need Claydol? Try Houndoom LA. It is a great T2 Card, and doesn't need Claydol. True, TSD is an option, but it isn't really needed. In order to use it, all you need is 4-4 Houndoom LA, The usuall staples (Bebe, Roseanne, Warp Point, Buck, Cynthia, etc.), Energy Patch, and a few Plus Power and your set.

Claydol isn't a huuge issue for me. I got lucky and pulled one out of a booster so I'd only need to buy one. The trainers add up though :/ Is there a cheap variant of trainers?

^yeah it's called claydol... if you are trainer poor i suggest going for 4 bebes, 4 quick ball, 4 pokedex handy, ect to get claydol as fast as possible, then an empo vaient could work seeing as all 3 empo you need you could get for about $8

yeah houndoom is probably the best cheap deck to play right right now, beats amu torterra ect. ball engine/anything that goes thru ur deck fast enough

roamzero said:
Thanks for the tips so far. Where would you say is the best source to buy singles? Ebay seems good, but is it the best? Also some of these decks have specific names (turncruel, etc). Is there a good site/source to look up the basic cards for these deck types? Some of the t2 decks look fun, I also looked at the Kricketune deck and it seems like it might be cheap too. Keep in mind that this is mainly for casual play every now and then. Im tempted to buy those world championship decks and sticking my cards in sleeves to cover the backs :3 That might be too cheap though (and I want some customization options if I ever add cards in the future, mix and and match for different decks).

On top of that, you cannot play World championship deck cards. They aren't tourney legal even if they are in sleeves.

Secretsof2113 said:
roamzero said:

On top of that, you cannot play World championship deck cards. They aren't tourney legal even if they are in sleeves.

I realize that, but who says I want to play in a tourney? I just want to have a decent range of 2-3 decks to play casually. One of which hopefully can kick some a$$ if I get po'd. Again, fun competitive matches among buds.

Ok, here is something I thought up: Somekind of T2 "template" of trainers, and from there I can cheaply get some kricketunes/houndooms, and swap em along with the energy (2 decks in one!). Any tips on what trainers to get that could apply to any t2 type deck? Roseanne's Research seems too costly... Also it would be nice to be able to adapt the set of trainers for an empoleon deck (3 in 1! lol)

What's all this nonsense about RR being costly?
I have eight. EIGHT.
And yes, a T2 deck is probably the cheapest kind you'll find. Go for Kircketune above Houndoom if you're talking about the {D} one.
But I say Houndoom LA is better than both. And it may be cheaper.

Good luck with that. And good idea with the universal T2 trainer "template" thing.
I feel it will let you play all the T2 decks you want, and only have to obtain the pokes. ;D

-Mart~

Back