Best Donphan variant?

What's the best option?

• Donchamp(Donphan/Machamp)

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Yanphan(Donphan/Yanmega)

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • Stage 1 Rush(Donphan/Zoroark/Cincinno)

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • Other(explain in post)

Votes: 15 31.9%

• Total voters
As VulpixYolk said, Yanmega can't do much to Donphan and Ruins of Alph is pretty much the painful card to face there. One could also just pull up the Kingdras as Horseas and knock them out cold. Also, Donphan has Heavy Impact which is very overlooked for God I don't know why.

^Remember Exoskeleton. Sonic Boom will do 50+10 from Spray Splash, which is 60. I'd be running HGSS Phanpy, but I guess others use CL.

Well if the Phanpy was HGSS, they would just Spray Splash the next turn before they Time Hollow. That would be a 2 turn kill either way. However I still stand by it being a 50/50 match up (even though I hate arguing points against players who are better than me), because early game Reversals would make it so you would never have to see Kingdra in the first place, and Jirachi can get Revenge killed by Donphan. Assuming Yanmega has a Kingdra out, and assuming Ruins of Alph is in play, each deck is 2HKOing the others main attacker. I'd call it 50/50.

Vulpix Yolk said:
Also stupid DD and it not being rogue anymore, now people will be expecting to see it at the Worlds grinder. I'm pretty upset because I thought I was the only one who had thought of the combo, but then there were like 20 other people with it at Nats.

I have to agree with you there. Even though it was after Nats, I happened to think of that combo and I thought it was my own little idea, and then I get the news.... The lesson is, nothing is original in this format. It's always been thought of by someone else before.

Donphan also has the speed to pull out those Horseas like VulpixYolk said. Basically, catcher will make DD so much better because cards right now are so flip based

@Meaty: I also thought of it as a rogue. Now it's speculated tier 1. Even though my build is a lot different.

Heck, I think even Kyurem will make the deck better, because it could seriously use a solid water type to counter other Donphans and fire....

Meaty said:
Heck, I think even Kyurem will make the deck better, because it could seriously use a solid water type to counter other Donphans and fire....

Oh man. Kyurem will make this deck so much better. I'd drop the Reshirams and maybe a Donphan line to add Yanmega as well if you were to utilize Glaciate.

Reverals hurt DD more than they hurt kingdra yanmega because everything in your deck has at least two retreat. If you waste your switches to get stuff back, then you won't be able to rotate donphans, while I'll be able to rotate yanmegas freely.

Hmmm... a lot of people are saying Yanphan is the best way to go in the poll, but a lot of the people in the thread are saying DD is best. *Yoshi is confused* I guess that means they're equal?

I'm used to Stage 1 Rush having Donphan/Yanmega/Zoroark in there lol. Kinda confusing but whatever.

dmaster out.

It really is preference. I like DD just because the 10 on the bench actually doesn't really do harm, in fact, it helps. In S1 (Stage 1), you're playing Pokemon with 110 HP or less. I mean, EQing Yanmega isn't all that bad, but it stacks up after a while. And then you start to get sniped and can't do anything about it. With Donphan/Dragons you're running 6 Dragons come Kyurem's release. Getting sniped, which would almost never happen, is not a huge deal at all.

For Worlds, I actually think S1 will do better than DD because DD has no counter to Donphan, and it's a bigger issue than you think. But once Kyurem comes out, it'll be amazing.

Well if DD plays mirror w/ Kyurem then I guess there's really no point. I was talking about Donphan in Stage 1.

Back