Playthrough Blue Nuzlocke-A Game to Remember

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special
I've never played Blue or Red before, but I thought, how different can they be from Yellow or FRLG really? I suppose I'll find out.

Standard Nuzlocke rules, no gimmicks this time.
Not really a rule, but all pokemon will be named after pokebeach members.

Professor Oak kept asking me dumb questions like whether I was a boy or girl, what my name was, ect. It also seemed like he had forgotten his own grandson's name, which I thought was Gistica. Poor guy.

Done with those questions, I awoke in my little room. I got bored with the old game system pretty fast and went outside to play. I always wondered what life was like for the poor people of Pallet town, always living in fear of the tall grass surrounding their small town.

Professor Oak found me trying to sneak away, and led me to his lab. When we got there, it seemed Gistica had already beat me to the punch. Though Oak had forgotten why his grandson was there, he gave each of us a pokemon. Since this is a Blue run through, there was only 1 starter that really seemed fitting.

4.png

I named him DNA, since I want my partner to be capable of flipping tables right from the start.

After beating Gistica's pokemon to a pulp, we took a trip through the dangerous grass full of small birds and buck-toothed rats, and made it to the next town. Healing first, we took a trip to the nearest Target and found a Parcel waiting there for Oak. Though I didn't like the idea of taking a rather oddly shaped, bulky package back to the lab, I did it anyway. Professor Oak gave me and Gistica both a pokedex, and I was on my way again.

Grinding just a bit more, DNA learned Ember and we proceeded to sweep every pokemon out of our way. Hitting the next route, I was really hoping for a Spearow or Nidoran. Nope. Rattata. Alright then.

Naming my newest friend Blargh, we did some grinding until we were prepared to take on Gistica in his optional hiding spot. He was no problem to defeat, and I decided to go to Viridian forest next.

I ran into a Caterpie, and caught it because Butterfree is a beast with that Confusion. I named it Fluttershy (not the pony). We were doing so great, and were almost out of the forest when the unthinkable happened.

The last bug catcher we fought survived my Blargh's Quick Attack and used Poison Sting. I quickly switched to save it's health, and burned the kids bugs to a crisp with DNA's Ember. I then ran to the next pokemon center, but it was too late. As soon as I reached the door, poor Blargh fainted. :(

RIP Blargh.
19.png
Lv. 11

(what's left of) The Team:
4.png
DNA Lv. 11
10.png
Fluttershy Lv. 3
I guess I really have some training to do before I take on Brock.
Since I had been in such a rush to try and heal Blargh, I hadn't even touched the grass on the previous route. I caught Dark Void, a Pidgey. Because my team was not ready for Brock's bone crushing team, I did some intense grinding. Fluttershy evolved into Metapod! But we didn't stop there, and kept training until it evolved again, this time into Butterfree!

Why didn't it learn Confusion?! My saving glory!
*Checks Bulbapedia*
Oh.

So we kept grinding until Fluttershy reached level 12 and finally learned Confusion (someone is going to laugh at me for not knowing this). Then, tired of grinding, I decided to challenge Brocks gym. We healed and quickly defeated the camper body guard that Brock apparently needed, then healed again, just to be safe. Standing in front of Brock, about to press the A button, only 1 thought was going through my head: My entire team is weak to Rock.
Oh well.

I challenged him, prepared to face defeat if his pokemon knew Rock Throw. But he never used it once, Fluttershy took both his Onix and Geodude down no problem with Confusion. I stole his badge, money and TM, and made a dash for the next route.

Beating every trainer with no problem, DNA evolved before the end of the route. Things can only get better from here on out.
Don't worry Blargh, we will make sure you didn't die for nothing.
I reached the pokemon center outside of Mt. Moon, and (like I always do) I bought the Magikarp from the crazy man inside. I named it Delta, hoping it would survive through it's useless state. Taking my first steps inside Mt. Moon, I encountered a Zubat. The first of many I'm sure. I caught it anyway, named it Reggie, and saved the game. I think this is as good a stopping point as any for this chapter.

The Team:
5.png
DNA Lv. 17
12.png
Fluttershy Lv. 14
16.png
Dark Void Lv. 10
129.png
Delta Lv. 5
41.png
Reggie Lv. 9
Mt. Moon was too easy, and I used this chance to train Delta as much as I could. By the time I defeated Team Rocket and stole some nerd's fossil, it was already level 15. Though I did make one trip back to heal, it didn't take me long to get through the cave. Once on the other side, I tried catching a new pokemon in the grass. Nope. Pidgey again. Ah, well, Nugget Bridge is next.

I healed, knowing the trainers on the bridge can be a real pain at times, and completely forgot about the rival battle you do before. Gistica surprised me, and tried taking revenge for me beating him so badly the last two times. Well... He failed miserably. I killed his pets and took his money, then he ran off yelling something about me smelling good or whatnot.

I defeated Nugget Bridge and the Rocket guy at the end. Tried catching a new pokemon but nope. Pidgey. Again. *Sigh*
Then I healed real fast and fought my way up to Bill's house, where Bill had somehow messed up badly enough to turn himself into a pokemon. I'm glad such a smart person was in charge of the storage system where we keep our most valuable partners. Having enough of Bill bragging about his pokemon and giving away free stuff like he owned everything, I left and healed once more in preparation of Misty's gym.

It was too easy.
Fluttershy by this point knew Sleep Powder and Supersonic, which made Misty's pokemon absolutely useless, and I won easily.

Healing AGAIN, I defeated a thief who the police apparently didn't see standing in some guys backyard, and then went down the route to find a new addition to my team. Guess what I found? Yup. This guy:

16.png

I was not in a good mood after that.

It only got worse on the route outside Vermillion (pretty sure I spelled that wrong), I finally found a worthy addition to my team: Bellsprout!
I was careful, and sent in Reggie to slowly sap it's HP. Well... That didn't work nearly as well as I thought it would.
*Bellsprout used Vine Whip!*
*Critical hit!*
*It's not very effective...*
*Reggie fainted!*

My bad mood only got worse.

I did eventually catch the leafy beast, and named it McGigas in Reggie's memory.
By the end of the route, Delta had reached Level 19. I used a Rare Candy that I found in Mt. Moon to give it the last push it needed to evolve into the beast that would save my Nuzlocke challenge: Gyarados.
I made it easily to the town after that, healed what was left of my team and saved.

RIP Reggie:
41.png
Lv. 9

The Team:
5.png
DNA Lv. 21
12.png
Fluttershy Lv. 23
16.png
Dark Void Lv. 15
130.png
Delta Lv. 20
69.png
McGigas Lv. 13
I took KingArceus' advice and caught a Diglett first (didn't need Cut), then named it in his honor. I did some grinding in Diglett's Tunnel, KingArceus finally learned Dig before we left (I had used the Dig TM on DNA). I then got on a boat, found Gistica and destroyed his entire team with Delta. I got the HM Cut from the captain and then jumped ship just as it left the harbor.

With McGigas learning the new move, we were able to reach the next gym, and after defeating the trainers and finding the switches inside, I challenged Lt. Surge. I wasn't overly worried with KingArceus and DNA both knowing Dig on top of KingArceus' ground typing. And I was right, Lt. Surge didn't pose any problem to my team.

After taking his money and badge, I ran down the route across from Diglett's Cave to train and catch a new partner maybe. But no new partner for me, KingArceus accidently KO'd the Sandshrew I wanted. Oh well, what would I do with two ground types anyway? After beating up the trainers, McGigas evolved in Weepingbell and Dark Void evolved into Pidgeotto! Good stuff I tell you.

Then I went back to Cerulean and took the other path toward Rock Tunnel. I healed and went inside the cave.
Wait...
It's dark in this cave, who turned the lights out?!

Oh, I just forgot to get Flash first.
Eh, who really need to know where they're going anyway?

I did make it through without Flash, which really wasn't hard at all, since the darkness is much different then the darkness in other games. Finally through that cave and reaching Lavender Town, I still had my team in one piece thankfully. Oh and KingArceus evolved too. :D
Then I decided to enter the Lost Tower, and quickly found Gistica waiting for me. And here I was thinking I had ditched him on that cruise ship. Poor guy didn't stand a chance and my team made quick work of him.

Tearing through the tower like nobodies business, I made it to the staircase that the ghost guards and then left using Dig. Taking the next route, I beat some trainers and then entered the grass. I found a Vulpix! So happy it wasn't another Pidgey. I named my new friend PMJ and it was sent to storage. Pretty much back up incase DNA dies, but who knows? I entered the Pokémon Center in Celadon City and called it quits.

The Team:
5.png
DNA Lv. 25
12.png
Fluttershy Lv. 27
17.png
Dark Void Lv. 21
130.png
Delta Lv. 25
70.png
McGigas Lv. 25
51.png
KingArceus Lv. 28

Stored Pokémon:
37.png
PMJ Lv. 17
First thing I did was get my free Eevee from the top of the building. I named it Teal, and was planning on evolving it into Umbreon Jolteon later. Was going to get Vaporeon, but I think Water is pretty well covered with Gyarados. Plus, with two Fire types, I didn't really have much use for Flareon either.

Then I entered the giant store they have there, went up to the roof and got a free Ice Beam TM from a little girl, and then bought a Leaf, Fire and Thunder Stone from one of the clerks. Then I left for the Rocket Game Corner, found their secret base that a grunt made very obvious, and went inside. Never had any problems since I could Dig to the Pokemon Center if my team was near death.

After beating all the grunts, grabbing items and getting the Key Card, McGigas had leveled up enough to learn Acid, so I went ahead and evolved it into Victreebel. I didn't bother healing, I was completely prepared for Giovanni. McGigas' Vine Whip KO'd Onix and Rhyhorn with one shot, and after putting Kangaskan to sleep, it wasn't any harder.

With the Silph Scope in hand, I went on to the grass gym and quickly earned my badge. DNA's Ember and Fluttershy's Confusion took out all the Grass and Poison types easily. And for Erika, Delta took out all of her pokemon with Ice Beam.
Then I grabbed Teal, and went to do some grinding before moving on. I evolved it with A Thunder Stone, and did some training on the route next to the Cycling Road.

But, that, um... Didn't turn out so well.
Teal had near full health, on like our 10th battle. It's Tackle was working just fine on Spearows and Pidgeys (oh, yeah, Pidgey was the first thing I ran into on this route, so I didn't catch it) and when we ran into a Raticate, I didn't think to switch. It hit us once, not much damage, we hit is with Tackle, half it's HP gone. I thought we had this in the bag... but apparently I was mistaken.

Six words for you:
Quick Attack
Critical Hit
Teal Fainted

This is Reggie all over again.
*Sigh*

Then, after getting the HM Fly from some girl's hideout, I flew to Lavender Town. I ascended the tower, and caught a Ghastly on the way.
Is that allowed? I've been here before, but only ran into ghosts which aren't actually pokemon so...
Eh.

I named the Ghastly Blah, sent it to storage, and continued my ascent. At the top, I noticed a lot of the Rockets there had Poison types, so using Fluttershy with it's Confusion was a no-brainer, especially since it was higher leveled then KingArceus at this point. I was doing fine... until Fluttershy was poisoned by Toxic. I switched, trying to save it's health since it was full and I had a full tower to climb down. Then I defeated the rest of the Rocket's team with Delta (what a beast :)) and ran to the Pokémon Center. I didn't want this to happen again. it reminds me of what happened to Blargh. And I hoped I would make it in time. But no, why would I be able to keep one of the strongest pokemon in my team?

Fluttershy fainted.
Inside the Pokémon Center.
Well done game. Well done.
(edit: King Arceus reminded me that I could have just healed inside the Lost Tower. I just derped right there didn't I?)

Maybe my luck will turn again.
I went back up the tower, beat the rest of the grunts, and freed the old man. He gave me a flute, whch I hoped would help me catch the next member of my team: Snorlax.
I went down the next route, beat the fishermen and found Snorlax, but I used most of my pokeballs trying to catch it and gave up.

I went down the route, catching Astra the Venonat on the way and only going back to heal once. I kept training the new addition to my team, PMJ. Then I came to Fuchsia City. I healed and, remembering Delta's warning, decided to train a bit before taking on Koga. The next route had a few annoying Bird Trainers and Delta's Thunderbolt made quick work of them. I entered the grass, and found a Fearow! I was so happy.

Not really.

I had forgotten to buy pokeballs, and wasn't able to catch the bird pokemon. Too bad.

It didn't take long for me to get tired of grinding, and decided to just beat the trainers inside the gym. It was intense, they kept putting me to sleep and everything. I did eventually beat them all, and healed before challenging Koga.

He was easier then the rest of the trainers in the gym for sure. KingArceus was a beast, Dig OHKO'd everything in his team except Wheezing. But (lol) as I was digging, Wheezing actually KO'd itself with Self Destruct, so I never did anything to it.

I healed, because poor KingArceus was SO hurt (not really, but it's Dig was running low on PP). And kept grinding with PMJ. I want it to learn Flamethrower before I evolve it.

RIP Fluttershy.
12.png
Lv. 31

RIP Teal.
135.png
Lv. 26

The Team:
5.png
DNA Lv. 32
17.png
Dark Void Lv. 22
130.png
Delta Lv. 34
71.png
McGigas Lv. 30
51.png
KingArceus Lv. 33
37.png
PMJ Lv. 29

Stored Pokémon:
92.png
Blah Lv. 22
48.png
Astra Lv. 26
I first flew to Vermillion to get my Bike Voucher, then flew to Celadon to pick up my gift. Flying back to Fuchsia, I bought some Ultra Balls and made my way up the Bike Route. Beating the gangsters senseless, I made it to the end and finally caught my Snorlax! I named the beast Chariblaze and I added it to my team right away.

Then I bought a Water Bottle and gave it to the guard before he let me through to Saffron City. I beat the Fighting section of the gym and obtained S Trainer (for Salamencetrainer) the Hitmonlee before healing and entering the Silph Co. Building. I beat most of the grunts, and PMJ learned Flamethrower, so I used my Fire Stone to evolve it. I made it to the half way point, beat Gistica who apparently is a stalker of some kind, and got a Lapras from the nice man in the room. CMP seemed a fitting name for my new friend, too bad he probably won't be used unless Delta dies, and I really don't want that to happen right now. :( I then found Giovinni, who was easy enough to defeat using McGigas and PMJ.

Then I went to the gym, beat all the trainers in there with DNA who finally reached his final form. :) Sabrina was simple, and Chariblaze made quick work of her team (however, I did use DNA for her Venomoth). I flew to Fuchsia and entered the Safari Zone. I ran into a Dodou, caught it and named it Jay, then sent it to storage. How funny is it that it uses the bird sprite, but doesn't actually have any wings? That and the fact it can learn Fly without having wings make it a cool pokemon to have (lol).

Making it to the back, I found some guys teeth and took HM Surf as a prize for making it to the end. I gave the guy in the house his teeth, and he gave me HM Strength in return. Teaching it to Chariblaze, we grabbed the Rare Candy in the house and started training.

Pretty much grinding now until I'm ready to head for Blain's gym.

The Team:
6.png
DNA Lv. 38
143.png
Chariblaze Lv. 33
130.png
Delta Lv. 37
71.png
McGigas Lv. 33
51.png
KingArceus Lv. 36
38.png
PMJ Lv. 37

Stored Pokémon:
17.png
Dark Void Lv. 22
106.png
S Trainer Lv. 30
131.png
CMP Lv. 15
84.png
Jay Lv. 26
92.png
Blah Lv. 22
48.png
Astra Lv. 26
After getting bored of grinding (happened pretty fast actually) I surfed towards Blaine's secret island forretress. Excuse me. I meant home town.

He had somehow locked himself and his gym trainers inside the gym, and the only key was buried inside an old mansion. Ok. That could totally happen to anyone, right?

I entered the mansion, pressed some hidden switches and beat up some burglars, and easily made my way to the bottom where the key was located. I caught James the Grimer on the way as well. I left the mansion, healed, and headed for the gym.

Wow, more people were locked up in here then I thought. Makes me wonder how they survived locked in here all game. I didn't bother with the question machines, I wanted the experience from the trainers. KingArceus was the star pkayer this gym, OHKOing everything with Slash/Dig/Earthquake, and earing me the badge triple headedly. (Single handedly was too main stream for a three headed mole with no arms to be seen.)

My next victim challenge was waiting for me at Viridian City, so I flew over there and healed. I went through the gym, needing to leave once to heal, and then taking on Giovanni. Delta was a beast, as usual, and took out his whole team with Surf/Ice Beam. Nothing survived a hit from him.

Then I was on my way to the Pokémon League!
Finally.

Gistica was waiting again, and attempted to wipe my team out. Delta dealt (lol) with his entire team except for Blastoise. Blastoise wasn't a big deal, but I went ahead and KO'd it with McGigas. Now, I'm through the gates and in Victory Road. Next stop, the Pokémon League!
Inb4 my entire team dies in Victory Road.

The Team:
6.png
DNA Lv. 38
143.png
Chariblaze Lv. 33
130.png
Delta Lv. 43
71.png
McGigas Lv. 33
51.png
KingArceus Lv. 43
106.png
S Trainer Lv. 43

Stored Pokémon:
17.png
Dark Void Lv. 22c
131.png
CMP Lv. 15
84.png
Jay Lv. 26
92.png
Blah Lv. 22
48.png
Astra Lv. 26
88.png
James Lv. 32
38.png
PMJ Lv. 37

Friends who gave their lives to the cause:
Blargh. Died in front of a Pokémon Center from a Weedle's poison.
19.png
Lv. 11

Reggie. Died from a wild Bellsprout's critical hit Vine Whip.
41.png
Lv. 9

Fluttershy. Died from an Arbok's poisoning inside a Pokémon Center.
12.png
Lv. 31

Teal. Died from a wild Raticate's critical hit Quick Attack.
135.png
Lv. 26

>never played rb
>assumes it's the same as frlg

tumblr_mghc4yYxaK1ry10fwo1_400.gif

Good luck with this. I had a brief scare with my Red Nuzlocke. Some advice: Do not underestimate Koga's gym.

How do you lose a zubat to vine whip? Seriously, how does that even work?

The even sadder thing is that the critical hit ratio formula for gen 1 games relies on the speed stat. Hopefully the other side you'll get to encounter some good Pokemon. On the plus side of things, once you do get Cut, you can get Diglett for the gym. As far as I remember, in RB his Raichu only knows electric attacks. It's just Yellow that it knows some normal moves.

Oh boy. I'm a badass Gyarados. Pidgeys be trolling too.

Looking like a stable party so far.

You know I'm gonna make a comeback, you just watch. Never underestimate the forgotten grandson >_>

I'm starting to like where this is going.
Updated. Again.

I know I've updated a ton just today, but lol this is fun. :)

I'm the highest level.:)

Glad to see that your luck has been turning around. I looked up what level Charmeleon and Charizard learn Flamethrower and it isn't until the lower 40s in RBY.

If you had the whole tower to climb down, why didn't you just heal in the tower? One of the upper floors there is a space that restores your Pokemon to full health.

King Arceus said:
If you had the whole tower to climb down, why didn't you just heal in the tower? One of the upper floors there is a space that restores your Pokemon to full health.

*facepalm*

I guess I just wasn't thinking. Completely forgot about that.

Oh man, I just remembered to check this. Thanks for naming 2 pokemon for me :)

Let me get this straight, I killed myself? McGigas killed Reggie? Seriously?

Well, at least my replacement is doing well.

Back