Competitive VG Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Competitive Battling Simple Questions Thread

Remix said:
This also angers me a bit because it just seems like a gigantic loophole so people can still use Latios/Latias. Its just...stupid.

Well actcually, during simulator play(On PS! or PO) You wouldn't be allowed to start a battle if your Pokemon were to be holding Soul Dew.

Its up to the player on Wi-Fi to abide by the rules if your playing with Tiers on WiFi.

Are Nicknames no longer shown at VGC tournaments? I read somewhere they are no longer allowed. Why is that??

Cooltrainer Alan said:
Are Nicknames no longer shown at VGC tournaments? I read somewhere they are no longer allowed. Why is that??

I know they don't show up on Random Matchup, but I don't remember hearing about nicknames not showing up anymore in VGC. I wasn't at Regs this weekend so I don't know for sure. Where did you hear about this?

I was on this site with VGC articles and it said something about that in addition to the time extension. It might just be for Worlds(Understandable) though, since it was about worlds and some stuff.

What exactly can I do with a Brave Sandslash with 0 Speed IV's? Saying "well Impish is better" or something and giving me a completely different Moveset won't help my case just to let you know. Like does he learn Gyro Ball or something? Thanks, because I got a shiny Sandshrew that's RNG'd from the GTS. It doesn't have to be for serious competitive battling, just in-game stuff (but I would still like to EV train).

Utility Sandslash is a good idea. Something like
Sandslash @Leftovers
Brave Nature
252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
0 Speed IVs
~Stealth Rock
~Rapid Spin
~Earthquake
~Rock Slide

You could use Gyro Ball but Rock Slide is normally just better. Otherwise a Swords Dance set could work with Earthquake Rock Slide and Rapid Spin.

It's got 121 Speed at LV100 if you don't invest anything, but 65 base Speed isn't enough to make Gyro Ball do more damage; Bronzong or something would probably be better for that purpose.
And now that Sand Rush Sandslash has been released, having a Jolly one is now ideal.

I mean, for in-game stuff I guess it would work, just don't expect miracles.

One Approved said:
Utility Sandslash is a good idea. Something like
Sandslash @Leftovers
Brave Nature
252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
0 Speed IVs
~Stealth Rock
~Rapid Spin
~Earthquake
~Rock Slide

You could use Gyro Ball but Rock Slide is normally just better. Otherwise a Swords Dance set could work with Earthquake Rock Slide and Rapid Spin.

@DNA Yeah, I'll probably try RNG'ing a better one if I'm ever able to.

I was thinking of entering the VGC at the next Regionals, and just wanted to know if there were bans on anything other than using most legendary pokemon. I read over the rules, I just wanted to double check I wasn't missing anything.

Anything that's banned from the battle subway is also banned during VGC. I don't think there are any non-legendaries banned...

I'm having trouble working out the math for a "powerful" ground typed Hidden Power while maintaining decent stats. Does anyone know how to do this? It seems like the highest base damage I can get on Hidden Power Ground is 10.

The strength of the Hidden Power is determined by the Pokemon when you first encounter it. The only way you can change it is to keep catching Pokemon.

I thought there was a formula that determined Hidden Power's type and base damage based off of IV's.

That is not the formula I got, thankyou. So if I have the following IV's, I'll have Hidden Power Ground with the highest base power, 70:

HP: 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 18, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27, 30, 31
At: 3, 7, 11, 15, 19, 23, 27, 31
Df: 3, 7, 11, 15, 19, 23, 27, 31
SpAt: 30
SpDf: 30
Spe: 31

Obviously, I want all of them to be as high as possible, but things like Attack don't really matter.

Also, would it be easier to calculate the Hidden Power type or just teach the Pokemon Hidden Power and determine what type it is (or isn't) that way. I'm breeding the Pokemon I want, so I want to know the fastest to get this done. Calculating would require me getting it to a high level before accurately determining its IV's, but it would be the only way to exaxtly calculate the base power.

You could just RNG, it is the easiest way to get good hidden powers.
but it is pretty much cheating

RNG is not cheating. It is programmed within the game and is capable of being done without using external devices. It passes according the the rules of Official Video Game Tournaments.

King Arceus said:
without using external devices.

Really? Could you post a link? That would be great!

No, a link on RNG. I thought it did use "external devices". Sorry if that was unclear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back