Competitive VG Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Competitive Battling Simple Questions Thread

How do VGC tournaments work? If you lose will you be finished or do you get another chance? Is their a point system?

they are swiss round. if you lose, you keep going. you play someone with a similar win-lose streak as you.

Alan said:
they are swiss round. if you lose, you keep going. you play someone with a similar win-lose streak as you.

So, if you win every time then you'll win the tournament? (if you lose do you still have a chance of winning?)
About how many times will you fight (same as everyone, or lose too many times and you're out)?

Also about how long are tournaments? (Time starting/finishing, and would you leave early if you lose, or does everyone keep battleing through the day?)
And about how long do you have between battles???
:D Thanks

We started at like 8am and ended at ~3pm with 7 rounds and no top cut.

No, you can play the whole tourney even if you lose every round. you get to play the whole time.

you can drop whenever you want as well.

yes, the winner will be the person with the most wins. usually someone with a flawless score. i think it is impossible to tie since someone will always have less wins than you.

if you lose you could still win, but like i said, it is whoever won the most and lost the least that wins.

To add, each round at VGC is 15 minutes long; there's a timer in the game itself that is set for you. If you win or lose, you will play someone with the same record as you, each round - for example, if you're 3-2 (3 wins 2 losses) at the end of round 5, you will play against another 3-2 during round 6. Sometimes if there's an odd number, you might get downpaired or uppaired, but that is very infrequent.

If you lose, you aren't out. You keep going for as long as you wish - just make sure that if you do leave early, let the judge know!

I would like to know how can I evolve a Tyrogue in Hitmontop as I am planning on using an Adamant nature and I don't plan EV training it into Defense so it will most probably have higher Attack than Defense even if I don't EV train it at all. Also I don't have EV reducing berries. Help guys.

Why not just get its stats so that they will be equal at level 20 then after it evolves use the haircut shop in Join Avenue to remove the Def EVs? You can also find some EV reducing berries in the Dream World.

Shadow Scyther said:
I would like to know how can I evolve a Tyrogue in Hitmontop as I am planning on using an Adamant nature and I don't plan EV training it into Defense so it will most probably have higher Attack than Defense even if I don't EV train it at all. Also I don't have EV reducing berries. Help guys.
I had to give mine at least 100 or so Defense EVs to even the stats out (it didn't evolve until level 25), then I had to erase them all later. If you don't have the EV reducing berries, go find the barber at Join Avenue who will reduce them for you, though you might have to go back for a day or two.

How exactly does Life Orb work positively, specifically towards Lucario?

From Smogon:
Whenever a Pokemon holding a Life Orb successfully uses a damaging attack, that attack deals 1.3x its normal damage, rounded down, and the attacker loses 1/10 of their maximum HP, even if the opponent is behind a Substitute. Damage rounds down to the minimum possible value for 10%—thus, if the Pokemon has a HP stat ending in any number indivisible by 10, it can use Life Orb 11 times without dying. If a Pokemon has a HP stat of 19, then Life Orb will deal 1 HP recoil per attack, so the holder can attack 19 times at most. If the attack fails, adjusts HP instead of dealing damage, or if the holder's ability is Magic Guard, or if the holder's ability is Sheer Force and the attack was boosted by Sheer Force, then the holder takes no damage from Life Orb. For multi-hit attacks, all hits are treated as a single attack for the purposes of Life Orb recoil. If the Life Orb holder uses Circle Throw or Dragon Tail and then faints from the recoil, the target is not forced out. If a Pokemon steals Life Orb by using Thief or Covet, then that Pokemon takes recoil damage afterwards.

For Lucario, it is often the item of choice. Most Swords Dancing Lucario will have it. It's imo the best overall item for set-up sweepers and all-out attackers, as it gives a great damage boost whilst allowing the freedom of changing moves.

~AoH

Life Orb works best on Pokemon that have high offensive stats, but low defensive ones because they will still get KO'd just as easily, but they can dish out more damage.

On the flip side, you have freaks like Reuniclus that work well with Life Orb if you opt to go offensively, since Magic Guard protects against Life Orb damage. Alakazam also commonly uses Life Orb for this same reason.

It is also the preferred item on most any Pokemon with Sheer Force, though it sometimes sits out to a Choice Item but only due to preference.

Alright, thank you both for the help.

As usual, I'm not sure if this should go here, but I have a tiers question.
Why is Gigalith NU?
It seems like it has way too good base stats to be in NU, given a spot on a sand team. DW Gigalith would have 85/130/105 base defenses, and 180 base attack given a move boosted by Sand Force. I know its speed is horrible, but it can take a hit and just return the favor.
I am asking a question here, so I don't want to go too far into the realm of speculation, but I'm thinking that
a) Sand just isn't dominant enough
b) Terrakion simply outclasses it

Thanks for the help!

First of all, Sand Stream is banned in every tier below OU (aside from little cup). Second, pure rock typing is terrible. It's weak to steel, grass, water, fighting and ground, most of which are very common attacking types. On the flip side, it resists fire, which is nice, but its other resistances are normal, poison and flying, none of which of particularly common (except maybe flying). It's also outclassed by Golem, which has access to priority in the form of Sucker Punch. Hope this helped!

Could someone give me a link to the Hidden Power IV's for every different HP? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Found it.

Has anyone ever tried some troll strategies with abilities? I was looking at a few in particular and wanted to confirm/deny their validity:
Cresselia swapping levitate onto heatran, I know this is valid
Using Role Play Meloetta to copy your shedinja's wonder guard? If you call relic song you can be impossible to hit!
Using a regigigas on your own Cofagrigus to get Mummy instead of slow start.
Thanks for the help/ideas!

This one's quick.

Me First Moxie Pinsir.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back