Deck Discussion #4: Machamp

Blue Thunder

so long!
Despite me totally hating this deck, I believe it can actually generate some discussion, so I guess that's today's Deck Discussion. The next one is due on July 6th.

Today's thread will be about Machamp (Stormfront) or also known as Macheap. Machamp is the number one donker ever, being able to instantly "Take Out" (literally) Basics...as in OHKO them. He also has a second attack, Hurricane Punch. This attack requires coin flips, and it could deal anywhere from a pathetic 0 for 2 energy or an excellent 120 damage for two energy. Machamp also has a Level, who increases his damage output bu 60. However, the opponents get to do the same to Machamp. With his Body, he does 100 for 1 or even as high as 180 for 2. The Level X's attack does 80 for 3, and gives Machamp the potential of living another turn. Based on all the coin flips and donk being a luck-based style of play, Machamp is also been said to be the number one lucksac in the format.

In this and any deck discussion thread, the idea is to discuss the deck's possible techs, how it fares in the metagame, what Tier it is in, its counters, a good decklist for the deck, or just discussing the deck in general. Since this thread is about a much hated deck, you can also post if you think Machamp is "Macheap" or "Machamp".

For the previous deck discussions, please click on the links below:

DD3: Luxape: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=56549
DD2: Dialga G/Legos: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=56334
DD1: Blazetran: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=56194

Now...discuss!

I personally hate this deck as well. IMO it will be a Teir 2 deck because of the extreame luck involved with it. IMO, this deck isn't worth running if you really sit down and think about it.

If you live past t1 and are a semi-competent player using anything with evolutions or an SP build that doesn't suck, it's easy enough to beat.

That thing terrorizes AMU and SP's. I think it's a really cheap and dirty way to play, compared to more "honorable" decks like gengar and speedrill.

I was happy I didn't see much of this stupid deck at Nats, but during states it seemed to be the only deck out there (at least in our area). I was hoping that maybe they'd ban it because how cheap he is but I highly doubt that'll ever happen.

Mr. Random said:
That thing terrorizes AMU and SP's. I think it's a really cheap and dirty way to play, compared to more "honorable" decks like gengar and speedrill.

to be honest...it really shouldn't bother AMU that much and should only take 1, maybe 2 prizes before AMU is just taking prize after prize...I went against a Machamp deck that was "terrorizing" many other decks and beat it with my AMU...it couldn't get to the win before I could get to my Unown G's

Gengar honorable??? lucksac decks are not honorable

Posted by BlazeTK - Today 11:08 AM

I was happy I didn't see much of this stupid deck at Nats, but during states it seemed to be the only deck out there (at least in our area). I was hoping that maybe they'd ban it because how cheap he is but I highly doubt that'll ever happen.

we didn't see alot of Machamp at the states where I am, and that was suprising considering the amount of SP-G decks that were at States

Its Tier 2 now, but I enjoyed playing it especially with a great list that lessens the lucksacness of the deck. :)

qnetykz said:
Mr. Random said:

to be honest...it really shouldn't bother AMU that much and should only take 1, maybe 2 prizes before AMU is just taking prize after prize...I went against a Machamp deck that was "terrorizing" many other decks and beat it with my AMU...it couldn't get to the win before I could get to my Unown G's

Gengar honorable??? lucksac decks are not honorable

Meh, I guess your right, but I think Machamp is cheaper.

There was lots of Machamp (I mean, Macheap) at my states. I feared to face one, even though I didn't run SP's.

Its an alright deck but just plain out cheap if the point is to go for the t1 donk i think people started to play dialga g and gengar so much because machamp was so popular back when sf came out because dialga g prevents them from using bts/rare candy and gastly prevents rare candy it blocks that t1 donk but if not t1 donk its an ok deck

Macheap for sure. He wreaks SP and any other Basics. I can't personally understand why PTCG would make this card, other than to annoy me to no end. Stupid coin flips.

dmaster out.

Mr. Random said:

You have GOT to be kidding me.

Gengar is cheaper than machamp by a mile. I know that machamp is bad on it's own, but with rampardos, it's great. Rampardos is great for consistent damage, and machamp and rampardos can donk. No more than 8 energy are played, so there is plently of room for draw support, and trainers.

Machamp is the cheapest deck to have ever come from the TCG. For example, once I went first and my opponent had Machop, Bebe's Search, Machamp, Broken Time-Space, and a {F} Energy. I only had one Basic Pokémon in play because I couldn't play Bebe's Search or Roseanne's Research.

same I went to a tournament witha deck around basics and got lets say a bad result my deck had shymin giratina and dialga 3 pokemon with no lv xs bad thought

machamp and amu are a very even matchup. actually if both sides get good setups amu actually has the advantage.
regirock, stark mountain and ssu's are the best techs for a straight up machamp deck. 4 pokeblowers or restructure palkia lvl x and 4 switches also make for a long day for basic loaded decks.

I hate it, too
it doesn´t have any strategy besides donking
I think the best way to play it, is with Lumineon SF and Dusknoir DP, than it has at least some Strategy;)

Mr. Random said:

What in the WORLD makes Gengar more honorable than Machamp?!

I have always been a supporter of Machamp as a Tier 1 deck. A good Machamp deck that is not geared solely for the DONK is a menace really. Most people forget DP 'Champ as well: his great Revenge killing makes the game harder for the opponent, provided you have some way of getting him out of the Active spot afterwards!

Regirock is a great tech with Stark Mountain: An early game Strong Willed is SCARY, not to mention how great Revenge is when you can actually use it! Upper energy is also cool, considering how many KOs your Lv X will take. Super Revenge charge FTW!

Weavile SW is also great for anti-Gengar varieties, not to mention quick charging.

esperante said:
Mr. Random said:

Alright, I guess I'm wrong.

Mr. Random said:
esperante said:
Mr. Random said:

Alright, I guess I'm wrong.

good guess there.

machamp isn't that hard to beat, if you survive t1 that is.
any {P} basic pokemon can beat it.
like giratina :)

Rephrase: ANY pokemon can beat it given no sick luck on Macheaps side (coughcoinflips/donkcough)

Back