Do you play to win, or do you play to have fun?

Do you play to win, or to have fun?

• I play to win, and nothing else.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I play to have fun, and win once in a while.

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • Both. Winning and playing for fun motivates me to continue.

Votes: 59 71.1%
  • Neither. I troll people with my Fearow UL swarm deck.

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters
Honestly, I've never been like, "ok, let's smoke this!!" I just sit and let the game go as it goes. Relaxation is the key to a poker face and victory. So, I play both, if I lose, I lose. If I win, yay, go me, and then I be a good sport, and love on.

I play for both, but I hate getting easy wins like donks. I would mush rather fall behind on prizes and actually have to think and win to feel like I am actually good.

I play to win, and I admit to being disappointed after doing badly. At cities, I went 3-1 and got fifth. All of my games were one sided. No fun there. No getting prizes or CP. I played a deck that wasn't a pick up and play deck for the first time and only got 1 loss, but everybody else with autopilot got stuff. That wasn't fun.

But guess what? Between rounds we played ball in the parking lot. It was very fun and I hung out with all of my friends, and people I hardly knew.

The tournament itself sucked, but sometimes playing to have fun doesn't mean having fun in the matches. Having fun playing Pokemon is about the community, and the friends you make through Pokemon. Imagine playing a match with no talking. That's how important the players are.

So I don't really know which I do. I don't think I'd play if it wasn't fun and the people weren't nice. But the matches are what bring Pokepeople together, so I'd say I do an exact split.

I allways thought of Pokémon as a fun board game, just like any other fun board games. But what makes Pokémon fun to me is that you have all opportunities to make your very own personal deck list, to see who can win the most.
Keywords: Fun, win. Both things are very important to mee.
I started collecting back when the Base set arrived in my country, and very quickly became the best on my school. Then pople there stopped playing and so did I since I didn't had anyone to play with.
Then about three years ago, me and some friends on highschool found some of our old cards and started playing with them again, because we thought the game was fun and nostalgic. We just started playing unlimited.
I soon realized that the game had become so much more since I stopped, and I started looking at all of the new cards that were printed since I stopped.I quickly also became the best in this friend group.
Then I started looking after competetive play, because one of the things I like the most about the game is to be challenged, and then go home to see how you can make these little changes in your deck to make the difference.
Now I play very much to win. I go to leagues to see what they play and what would be good to play in a tournament with them. I playtest mainly online. I'm 21 years old and I the oldest guy I know who plays competetive is 17. It would feel very wierd to play this game against a lot of younger players, if it didn't was because I still think it's an so fun and challenging board game.
So yeah, most people play to win, but if you don't think it's fun at the same time I guess you should find something els to become the best at.

I play to win but the friends you make while playing this game just makes the game so fun. So in effect, I always want to win and exceed my own expectations but at the back of my mind, even if I lose and played a very close match, I know that I had fun because it was a very good game. Losing to a donk or bad luck however just ticks me off a lot.

I play to win now. Game got boring a while ago. If we had a better format i would plat for both, but face it, luck makes the game unfun. You can lose to a complete scrub because of bad luck.

I couldn't care less if I win. As long as the game isn't stale I don't care. Both players get decent draws, few misplays, good strategy, etc, it's just fun.

I mainly play for fun. Winning is always as sweet as the underside of a sugar-cube, but even if i lose it's all good so long as I enjoyed said game. If I lost and my opponent was a jerk then I wouldn't have had much fun. If I won and my opponent was a jerk then I wouldn't have had much fun.

There are times when i 'take the gloves off' but I seldom sit down at a table with that mindset.

I have fun, but I always play to win. I don't have as much fun when I'm losing though, but I have enough friends at tournaments that I still have some fun.

I, personally, aim to win, but to have fun in the process. Like, for example, i loose a game in the middle if a tournament i'm not going to get all mad about it i just brush it off like it's nothing. I cant stand people that get too competitive and just feel like quitting because they lost one game or something like that, i mean i realize that you lost a game and maybe you wont win the tournament, but look on the bright side, you have the rest of the tournament to look forward to, or if that was the last game, you hopefully met a few cool people, played a couple of decent games and had fun in the process.

I play to have fun. Usually I try and make decks with pokemon I like from the videogames more than just what is best in the meta. Granted I only win about 50% of the time, but it isnt all about winning nor is that true for any game or sport in my honest opinion.

I peronally care a lot about winning, but that's not all I'm in it for. I like the fun of the game and the friends you make. I try to win, but bad tornaments don't bring me down, they motivate me.

When I'm at a tournament, I play to win. I could be nonchalant, but losing = not fun. I agree with VY and say that winning is fun, and therefore I play to win. :p

When I'm just chilling with Steadfast, then yes. We have fun by building nonsense decks that are just peculiar. Although winning is important, the "fun" aspect should not be lost. If you begin not having "fun" after winning, you need to stop.

I play to have fun. Winning is a distant second. Rather, I play to see something interesting happen. I'd rather lose an interesting match than win a dull match. I go to tournaments for these, as there are no longer any local leagues that don't charge for admission. I will always try to put up a fight though, because that's how interesting things happen.

I've faced a bunch of opponents who don't talk at all during a match unless they have to, and their treat the tournament like a business. It doesn't look like they're having fun--they're just there for the prize money. I typically stop dealing with this sort of people by the midway point though, as they just drop out if they find they've acquired too many losses for the top cut.

I've also faced a bunch of opponents who try psychological tactics on you to try to unnerve you. I tend to find these people at the bottom of the rankings. I suppose they've become desperate.

I try to be everything that these players are not. I want to be that happy person who will promise a match to remember.

HenryP said:
I play to win now. Game got boring a while ago. If we had a better format i would play for both, but face it, luck makes the game unfun. You can lose to a complete scrub because of bad luck.

Sounds like you're better off playing something different with absolutely no chance factor, such as chess or Street Fighter. Personally, luck makes the game more fun because it keeps things unpredictable. It's why I play Smash Bros. with items on and with every stage (except Final Destination, because I'm sick of that one) and why I love Mario Kart, for instance.

Ophie said:
I play to have fun. Winning is a distant second.
I'd rather lose an interesting match than win a dull match.

I just wanted to pull this from your post, because it is a very important statement. For those of you who think winning is everything, (not saying anyone here thinks that) I agree with Ophie. If winning came first, I would personally hate the luck factors of this card game. The skill that goes into playing this game definitely is needed, but all the chance factors that are thrown into this game just make it more fun.

The anticipation of that dice roll that may or may not turn the tide of the game has always been a special feeling that I never really get anywhere else, no matter if it is a negative or positive effect to me winning. That, and when you and your friends react to such events, getting worked up and excited when such things happen.

If winning came before having fun to me, I think I probably wouldn't appreciate times like that, making the game less fun all together.

Why dichotomize the two options? I play to win and have fun doing it. 90% of those who will claim that they play for fun first and don't care about winning aren't good players. These are the players you expect to see in the back tables based on them not having enough good cards or enough skill to do well. I've found that this is an excuse for having very little skill/ability to win in the game. If you solely play to have fun, please scoop after every game. Give the players who care about winning the win. That means that you let you and your opponent have fun. Many players enjoy playing games that matter (who needs to win). If you give your opponent the win, you have fun in-game (no down-side for you losing) and you let your opponent have fun by playing games that matter. Win-win, right? WRONG. Obviously all people play to win in some case or they would actually do this. Winning is fun. This is a fact that is ingrained human psychology. Don't pretend you all don't care about winning. Perhaps you don't care as much as others, but you obviously still care.

Competing at a high level is fun for me. Playing a very close game that both players have a possibility to win is fun. The more the game matters (Top cut), the more fun it is. The stress that the game has behind it makes games more fun for me. Obviously, very close, competitive games are also very enjoyable for me. I can remember two or three games very vividly based on how close they were. An awesome game that I played was my Top 32 game of 2008. We went to time with my GG against his Empozong. We both ran out of main attackers and resorted to attacking with minor Pokemon. His Prinplup was his last pokemon. Time was called. Had I gotten one more turn, I could have attached my DRE to my claydol and won the game. You just don't have games like that when you are "playing for fun". The winner got to move onto T16 and get tons more prizes/respect. The game was awesome, and I'll never forget it. If you don't play to win, such games just can't happen.

^ That is so very True, guys take the time to read it. Everyone can win no mater how bad they are at the moment. Those who play for fun have nothing to gain or lose, where's the fun? Just try to win, practice, work on your decks, "Try to Win, Expect to Lose, Have Fun".

The fun, of course, is when something interesting happens. It's not the destination that matters; it's the journey. For instance, during the last round at the Pasadena Regionals, I was ahead of my opponent who was using Gardevoir Lv. X (you know, the one with Bring Down). Then, Dialga G Lv. X happened and it, by itself, turned the match around and gave him the win. Turns out that, after the match, he had expected to lose as I had the lead during the first two thirds of the match. I loved that match because it was interesting, it was unpredictable, and we were discussing it after the end.

I might have lost, but I preferred it over the turn-one donks I was doing with Raticate in the Long Beach Regionals the following year.

Really, you could drop out of a tournament at any time. I see a lot of people drop out starting in the middle because they have too many losses that they can't make the top cut. If everyone cared only about winning, or if the environment encouraged something like that, you'd have people dropping out in huge numbers with hardly anyone left by the last round or two before top cut. That I still see hundreds of people at the end of a tournament, still playing even though they know they won't make the top cut, makes me feel good because it shows that there are noncompetitive people who attend them. (Definitely not coincidentially, the atmosphere gets more mellow from the midpoint onwards.)

(What does scooping mean?)

Back