donks... why?

Clear

Birb is the Word
"The reason I don't like to play Machamp is because I have a brain, the only reason why people play Machamp is because they don't have a brain. Otherwise, they would play something else."

That was me joking with my friend earlier today. Although it is a joke, it doesn't mean it is at least a bit true.

In the current environment, there is a few of T1 donks, namely- Sabledonk, Chumpdonk, Kingdradonk, and the less common Misdreavus donk (Misdreavus+MD Darkrai vs. 50 HP Active).

I do understand of why people do it though, they have the skill to play something else, they do! But in the current environment, it's donk or be donked, at least from where I am.

To emphasize on this problem, the CC I went to yesterday had a whooping 6 minutes Final Round in Seniors. It's simple, they were both playing Machamp, A went first and B donked him, B went first and A donked him, A went first again and B donked him for the match.

People started playing Unown Gs because of Machamp. Oh, and let's not forget that it might be a MD-on format next year, so... bye-bye Unown G? Quite frankly, I'm sure everyone would not like to live with him for another year.

Either this is happening all over the place, or I am missing something. How in the world are PCL expecting us to keep playing the game when you are just making most good cards in the future sets into Basics? What were they thinking when they make cards like these? Let's not forget there is another coming, Rampardos, although this one might be harder to pull off.

I'm one of those people that enjoy the process to victory more than to celebrate over a hollow one. Do they honestly want a Worlds finals that lasts 10 minutes a match?

btw, this is complaining, go ahead and tell me to stop whining, but it doesn't change that this is the truth.

Like I said in my Donking thread..

"It's weird. I like donking, honestly. But when I get donked, or witness somebody get donked, I feel really bad."

I do not have anything against donking, I really don't. If it happens, deal with it.

As for your beginning quote, I really disagree and take offense to that.

I have a Machamp deck. But, I DID NOT build it to donk. Donking is a possibility in the deck, that's true, but that's not the reason I built it. I built it because when I started Pokemon, my VERY first legal deck was Machamp DP. And I just wanted to bring him back.

To be honest, out of all the matches I have faced with my Champ deck, I have not donked once. The games always went more than 20-30 minutes, and I enjoy those late games.

I do agree though. When I saw the next set full of basics, I laughed. Because Champ laughs right back in their face. And if you're right that G will not be legal next format, well then, SP Players are screwed. Better run some Call Energies.

Donking takes skill, man. Well, a good decklist at least. Which takes a decent pokemon brain (unless they netdecked). Therefore you're wrong.

This has been around since forever. When base came out, unless you started with a bench, it was quite likely you wouldn't even get a turn. We've obviouly changed since then and tend to run alot more basics, which is the best solution to donks. If you're being donked like that, check you're basic count. Add in some uxie, azelf, mespirit, G, Q, baltoys, etc.

"Donking is also the result of Pokemon having very strong attacks for little energy cost (Kingdra and Machamp for example) or a means of charging themselves up a little too quickly (Regigigas). It's far more lame when it's based on a Rare Candy and a single Energy card rather than actual set up, though.

Funny thing is... I once had a deck with 17 basics, and I have only draw 1 Basic 8 out of 10 times.

And donks are lame, does it take any brainpower to put a RC down to a Machamp/Kingdra and win?

Ok let's take a look at it this way:

To Donk with Machamp you would have to have the following:

Machop as your starter
Candy in your hand or something to HOPEFULLY draw a Candy (Dex, Uxie, R, etc.)
Machamp in your hand or something to get Machamp (Bebes, Luxury)
Energy or again, something to hopefully draw an Energy

Then, your opponent has to have only 1 basic.
Then, you'd have to go second of the game.
Then, you'd have to pray that your opponent doesn't have a Call Energy, Unown G, or an Uxie to get those cards. Which almost everyone runs these days.

Doesn't seem that easy seeing as half of your donk relies on your opponent.

Don't blame me if theres something wrong with your deck build to where you're only starting with 1 basic.

Donking is easy. Since it 100% relies on luck and all.

I could run 30 basics for all I care, I WILL start with 1 basic once every so often. In that case, I best pray I'm not against Kingdra or Macheap. Thats how it works.

From my experiences with playing and playing against Machamp, the donk version of the deck has the ability to draw ~10 cards. Within those 10 cards, drawing a Rare Candy, Bebe's or Luxury Ball can be done easily.

And sometimes, you don't even need to lead with a Machop, you can lead with an Unown G and play a warp point or switch and the results will be the game.

And even when the other person have another basic other than the one that got T1-ed, losing the field presence that early can completely wreck the other player already. (READ: Warp Pointed the lone Baltoy in the back roll, Claydol/Bebe's in hand, donk the Baltoy.)

so don't even start with me on skills in donks, it takes zero skills.

Ha. Not really. So people who play kingdra have no brain?

Look, true they are easy to play and easy to win with. But Donking decks make a quick win, no matter the matchup. People may do it because it is easy, but they are hard to get out fast as well.

Donk is cool when rogue. Not Machamp.

So I agree but disagree.

Donking players are like this
"Alright, I get to go second and I have a Machop, Candy and Machamp on hand, awright"
"Yes, its just a simple Baltoy. This will be easy."
"WHAT? OH NO, IT'S AN UNOWN G AND A CALL ENERGY?!? AAAARGH, NOW I HAVE TO PLAY A REAL GAME! NO, THIS CANT BE HAPPENING"

Carry on.

Clear said:
And donks are lame, does it take any brainpower to put a RC down to a Machamp/Kingdra and win?

No, but you go find an idiot and tell him to make a list that can get a T1 Kingdra/Champ consistently.

Ariadosguy said:
Clear said:

No, but you go find an idiot and tell him to make a list that can get a T1 Kingdra/Champ consistently.

You go find an idiot and give him the link to pokemon websites, and voila.

I personally came up with my own rampardos, i heard rampardos was good, didn't even know what he did, and read him "wow amazing!" so, i made a deck around him, and was proud, my deck is not for donking, i hate donks, would much rather have a long match, my deck is based to get a T2 ko, but not a win, i would like it if they get a dusknoir, and we fight it out, we battle, and it rages, and rages, into an awesome fight, in the end, either me or dusknoir prevail, but it was still a fun match. Thats what i like. I do have a brain, suprisingly.

I also am getting really tired of all the donking going on in the current format. At the cities I went to in the third round four out of five matches were donks. I also say that a way to take away some of the donking ability is to give whoever wins the cointoss a choice to go first or second. True this may increase donks if you pick the wrong turn but then people won't complain about being donked if they won the cointoss because they made a mistake if they do. My last thing on donking is that imagine if scramble energy and double rainbow energy were in this format how many donks there were be, so let's all pray that they don't reprint those cards. I started playing this game when fossil came out and the only donks that I remember where when normal type pokemon when up against machop. So I believe that pokemon has overpowered too many cards and needs to find to limit the power of those cards. Maybe they could do an errata on Machamp saying that this attack can knock any basic that is not and SP card or something like that.

I know what you are talking about Clear. In our area as you said is full of Machamps (well at least the top 2 players in my division) I have played Abomsnow, and Tyranitar with good matchups actually but I get donked or my starter got donked. It's hard to play against machamp even if you have unown G. It's not like I'm going to have an unown g t1 on my starter/main attacker is its basic form. I lose an attacker and an energy attachment. Other than that, I would gladly play any other deck.

Donking takes all the fun of playing a real match. I vehemently hate knocking out a person because they didn't get any Basics or Energy. I almost want to give the win to them because it's a very cheap way to win. That's just how the cards come out in the end though. I also said somewhere that they need to stop making broken cards that can knock a person out in one turn as well.

dmaster out.

CFOURCOLTSFAN said:
My last thing on donking is that imagine if scramble energy and double rainbow energy were in this format how many donks there were be, so let's all pray that they don't reprint those cards.

Scramble Energy requires you to be behind in prizes. Which I doubt would happen on your first turn of the game, which in that case, it would have been YOU that got donked.

Donking is donking. There's nothing that's going to happen to change it.

Can you REALLY blame someone who has a good build, and sees their chance to win on their first turn? You're telling me, if you were in the finals of any tournament, and the record is You with 1 win, your opponent with 1 win, and you see your chance to win the tournament with a donk, you won't take it? Be honest.

Donking doesn't take skill. It takes luck. If you happen to start a game, and just happen to have the right cards in your hand to give you the game, then take it.

To those people who build decks around T1 donks, good luck to ya. But when your donking fails, I pray you'll be able to keep up, seeing as your Plan A didn't follow through.

Donking shouldn't be a strategy. It should be an opportunity, and nothing else.

I very much agree with you, my rampardos, for example, is not based around donking, its based around swarming, i H8 donks, but i take them if i have them, aND I've also seen many unexperienced players who could make the donk, or have a chance to get like, and uxie, but don't and then lose, so it does take a tiny bit of skill to donk, but i would rather have a good reinforced start than a donk, with a guaranteed 2-3 rampardoses, then 1 FTW, i really wish that PUSA would help to prevent donks, like any tools or rule changes, they would be nice.

Enough said.

Back