Durant ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@scizor:I would say yeah, reshiboar wont be much of a problem if we mill important cards early game,however i do think typhloram would be more difficult...

Wow...I forgot that Sneasel has free Retreat. Slap me again. Scizor, I'll comment on your list. I really like Durant, a lot, and I wanna make this deck amazing.

TDA said:
@scizor:I would say yeah, reshiboar wont be much of a problem if we mill important cards early game,however i do think typhloram would be more difficult...

Why would TyphloRam be any harder to face off against than ReshiBoar? Both of the 'techs' (typhlosion and emboar) are stage 2 pokemon, and are equally slow to get out. Only difference is Typhlosion requires you to have energies in the discard pile, rather than Emboar, where you can just draw a ton and be happy.

With Eviolite coming out, would you guys still include Defenders in this deck? Just wanting your opinions, thanks.

The Power of Three said:
Why would TyphloRam be any harder to face off against than ReshiBoar? Both of the 'techs' (typhlosion and emboar) are stage 2 pokemon, and are equally slow to get out. Only difference is Typhlosion requires you to have energies in the discard pile, rather than Emboar, where you can just draw a ton and be happy.

With Eviolite coming out, would you guys still include Defenders in this deck? Just wanting your opinions, thanks.
T2-T3 is not all that "slow" tbh :D Imo eviolite is better than defender on basic based decks like this.

Well with TyphloRam, they don't need recovery cards to get the energy back. With ReshiBoar, you'll be discarding a lot of energy and recovery cards, so it hurts them a lot more.

As far as Defender and Eviolite, I'll be playing both. I have 4 of each in my list right now, but we'll see how it works out.

I like playing both. Reducing more damage is exactly what we like when facing heavy hitters like Donphan Prime. The more we stall, the more we mill. The more we mill. The more we win.

And that's how Durant rolls.

EspeonROX Slap Count = 2

Defenders are a great thing to have as backup in case special metals are not being attached or to prolong Durant's life more. Although, wouldn't Potion be more helpful in that case? Just a thought.

Just saying, Durant will rip through most Stage 2 decks. A lot of it is luck based on what your opponent has to draw, but with some clever strategy you can basically force all of your opponent's battle force into the discard pile.

What do you think of running a 1-1 Steelix Prime? It wouldn't necessarily slow the deck down, it's a great staller, it gets back all the lost special metals on Durant, and lategame it can just come down upon a crippled opposition and wreck it.

If the deck is about milling you wouldn't be "wrecking opposition lategame" because you wouldn't have any prizes taken, but it could work to get the energy for durant back without requiring too much itself. However, the retreat is huge...

I don't like Steelix Prime here, and I'll tell you why:

1) It takes up space. Sure, it's only two spots, but that's two more spots for something else– SSU, Junk Arm, etc.– with all the space we're using to keep Durant alive and in play, there's not much extra room for techs.
2) You do NOT want to start with an Onix. If you do start with it, good luck retreating it (for 3 or 4 energy depending on which version you run). You let your opponent set up (and believe me, they'll do it well once they see a Durant) until they can just blow through your entire line, or– even worse– Yanmega-snipe all your benched Pokémon. So until you do retreat for 3 energy and start attacking a minimum of T4 (assuming you get an energy card each turn), your opponent can get some nice KOs or get set up. And with only 8 or so other Basics (4 Durant, 2 Sneasel, 1 Mime Jr, 1 Rotom– less if you're playing PDL or KGL), starting with it honestly isn't unrealistic.
3) Steelix doesn't really roll with the mill idea. Sure, it can stall for a couple turns– I'd say 3, MAYBE 4– but it's not by any means enough to make it viable. It just reduces consistency and provides too much of a risk in starting with it to be able to run it.

blaZofgold said:
EspeonROX Slap Count = 2

Defenders are a great thing to have as backup in case special metals are not being attached or to prolong Durant's life more. Although, wouldn't Potion be more helpful in that case? Just a thought.

Just saying, Durant will rip through most Stage 2 decks. A lot of it is luck based on what your opponent has to draw, but with some clever strategy you can basically force all of your opponent's battle force into the discard pile.

What do you think of running a 1-1 Steelix Prime? It wouldn't necessarily slow the deck down, it's a great staller, it gets back all the lost special metals on Durant, and lategame it can just come down upon a crippled opposition and wreck it.

Potion would not work the same as Defender. Sure Potion is good at removing damage counters but that won't help at all when your opponent can OHKO you. Add in a Defender and you might just survive another turn.
As for Steelix Prime, it could possibly work. It could probably Energy Stream all the Sp. Metals from dead Durants assuming you hindered their set up
by milling, giving you time to happily Energy Stream away.
The thing is though, Steelix Prime would not be any help against fire stuff so I really do prefer having Samurott in here even if it takes up more space. There is no point attempting to mill everything if some heavy hitter (Especially fire) is just gonna take an easy prize a turn.

Of course, if milling is fast enough that you can hinder them a lot, then the back up attacker would not be needed.
I think this is something that needs to be tested

banditkeith said:
Of course, if milling is fast enough that you can hinder them a lot, then the back up attacker would not be needed.
I think this is something that needs to be tested

When testing my Durant list (found on page 4/5ish, or in the deck garage without any useful comment) list vs my ResPhlosion list I found out that it purely depends on what you discard when milling. In terms of speed (if both decks get ideal setup, and Durant mills (psuedo-)useful cards, it gets whiped out rather fast, but when counting in the Eviolites and Defenders along with the Revives, Durant has a pretty solid recovery line up. If ReshPhlosion makes some misplays, or draws too much with ninetails, they'll find themselves in a sticky situation quite fast.

However, with smart strategy and a little luck, the ReshPhlosion player can always win, as the odds will always be in his/her favor.

blaZofgold said:
Inspiration comes in the most epic forms.

I can understand trying to deck the opponent out, but it would be pretty bad if you got either A. Trainer Locked or B. Your opponent draws into a PONT, Judge, Copycat, etc. That's why a 2-2 Weaville is mandatory. But otherwise, it's slightly hard to pull of a complete deck-out if your opponent can still setup.

May I also suggest N, when it comes out? Since you'll be doing no offensive damage whatsoever, they will definitely be getting quite a few KOs on your Durants. Twins + N will completely give you the upper hand, as once your opponent has 2 prizes left you can "N" them and then Weaville, forcing a very tight lock situation.
I Don't feel that this will matter, as they will be set up by then and you are not knocking anything out. Also, N just creates more work for you by putting more cards in their deck.

Exactly; once your opponent's taken 5 prizes, he shouldn't have too much trouble getting a 6th, even with no hand.

I was thinking about Defender and Catcher. How do you know when to play Defender? It becomes useless if you're Catchered out of active, and I'd hate to waste that Defender. Same goes for Eviolite. Is this deck able to keep up with Catcher in the format? It seems like it'd be tough to avoid OHKOs.

Which is why this deck is EXTREMELY situational: It all depends on what you manage to discard with Devour.

That's true. I think with some luck, one could actually win a good amount with this deck. Probably not any tournaments, but it would be fun watching your opponent scramble.

Very fun. This deck is bound to get your opponent running Panic mode throughout the whole game.

Which is what I think this deck is perfect for: just totally ruining your opponent's life and mentality. If your opponent is really panicking, then they have an increased chance of making costly mistakes in your favor.

This deck is really viable. It's probably one of the best rogue options out, along with Cubone n_n

is there any way to switch the focus of durant's playability from milling to a milling distractor then? possibly make your opponent waste resources on durant and when they have nothing left, sweep with steelix using all of the discarded energies? just a thought.

Seven cards are drawn for the hand at the beginning and six are set out as prizes. That's thirteen. Every turn your opponent draws one card, plus the four you discard, so five per turn. Assuming no cards go back in, your opponent will run ou on turn 10 and lose when s/he goes to draw on turn 11.

Durant is extremely viable. Durant is a lot more durable than it looks on paper with Eviolite and Sp. Steel. Yanmega doesn't have the firepower to OHKO Durant on a regular basis with Eviolite, even with Kingdra tech, and with Twins, you can easily search them out. And I think 10 turns is a very conservative estimate given how much draw power people use. I think decking someone in 8 turns is more than possible, and this could be a very formidable deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back