Dustox ex - Legend Maker

Secretsmeargle

Aspiring Trainer
B_F: This is an old thread, written before LM's release, but it's a great article, and a good read.

Hiya peoples.

In this thread I'd like to discuss one of the coolest cards coming out in Legend Maker. One that will no doubt see some play after the set's release.

I'm talking about ... Dustox ex =D

I always had this card in the back of my mind as one of the better cards coming from LM, and after Abhorsen brought it up the other day, I thought it'd be a great card to discuss. Please read through the whole post. I dont want to have written all this just so everyone can skip half of it. =P

Anyways...Here's the card description:

Dustox ex - Grass - HP140
Stage 2 - Evolves from Cascoon

Poke-Body: Safeguard
Prevent all effects, including damage, done to Dustox ex by your opponent's Pokemon ex.

[G][C] Silver Wind: 40 damage. During your next turn, the Pokemon that was damaged by Silver Wind takes an additional 30 damage from all attacks.
[G][C][C] Cutting Wind: 70 damage.

Weakness: Fire/Psychic
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

(thanks to pokebeach.com for the spoiler)

So. What's good about this card?

Well, firstly, it has a great Poke-body.

Safeguard will protect you against the ex pokemon that some of the top decks play. The likes of ZRE, SMP, Blastoise/Steelix/Lugia, Medicham and even Dark Dragtrode will have to change their attack strategies just to get past you.

It also has something that other safeguard pokemon dont have. Huge HP and decent attacks.

When you look at the likes of Wobbuffet, Ninetales, Shuckle, Dewgong and Altaria, you dont see a pokemon that can withstand big blows. Even a sub-par attacker could take care of these things in 2 hits.
Also, look at the damage they can do. None of the previous Safeguard pokemon can go past 50 damage with 3 energy. That means a 3HKO on a lot of stage 2 pokemon, and 2HKOs on stage 1 pokemon.

Now look at Dustox ex. Dustox ex has a huge 140 Hit points, and can attack for 40 for only 2 energy, and 70 for 3, which makes it undoubtibly the most powerful safeguard pokemon to come out yet.

In fact, being able to 2HKO stage 2 pokemon, and 1HKO a lot of stage 1 pokemon makes Dustox ex a viable pokemon to build a deck around. Whereas the previous safeguard pokemon have been left to be techs, this pokemon can handle things as a main attacker.

Then there's something that makes this Pokemon even better.

- Its pre-evolutions

Wurmple from Deoxys

082.jpg

It's a pretty standard basic, with 50 hp and 1 to retreat, but gets its merits from a move called Ascension, which allows you to evolve it into Cascoon (if you play dustox, or of course, silcoon for Beautifly). Thus, it is possible to get a turn 2 Dustox ex from a Wurmple start.

Turn 1 ascension - evolves wurmple to cascoon
Turn 2 evolve to Dustox ex.

What makes a Turn 2 Dustox ex even more attainable is the new Cascoon which is to be released.

Cascoon - Grass - HP70
Stage 1 - Evolves from Wurmple

Poke-Power: Emerge
You can use this Power once during your turn, if Cascoon is your Active Pokemon. Flip a coin. If heads, search your deck for a Pokemon that evolves from Cascoon, and place it on top of Cascoon (this counts as evolving Cascoon). Shuffle your deck afterward. This Power can't be used if Cascoon is affected by a Special Condition.

[C][C] Tackle: 20 damage.

Weakness: Fire
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Okay, so tackle may not be the best move ever; but it's power is very useful. On a flip of heads, you can search your deck for a pokemon that evolves from Cascoon (eg. Dustox ex) and evolve Cascoon.

Thus, it is possible to get a turn 2 dustox ex, playing no supporters or any other trainers, and having no evolutions in your starting hand. All you need is a Wurmple and an energy, and you have a 50% chance of getting your Dustox ex turn 2!!

Brilliant? Yes I think so. Especially since most of the time you will have a supporter etc. in your hand, which increases the chances of getting turn 2 dustox ex greatly.

Well, now that I've pointed out the speed and strength (Dustox ex isn't really that strong, but it definitely does a decent amount of damage) I'll dicuss the cards weakesses.

Firstly, it has a weakness to fire and psychic, which means Slowking/Dark Slowking could give it a run for its money. SMP could do some major damage if Metagross gets set up, and then there's Typhlosion/Pidgeot, which has been growing in popularity. Also, Magcargo from UF hits this thing pretty bad, and being an means it's hurt by Desert Ruins.

Luckily, Dustox ex does not have a weakness usually associated with Stage 2 pokemon. You probably wont have to worry about ATM Rock. Cascoon has a decent 70 hp, and you dont have to run candies in a Dustox ex deck, so you should be safe against ATM rock if you play it smartly.

Lastly,(for the weakness part of things) Dustox ex does not seem to have as much of a hold on decks that do not play ex. The current non-ex decks that are out there are Ludicargo, MetaNite, Rocklock and Queendom. 2 of those decks have a slight weakness to grass, which is extremely helpful. Queendom should get OHKO'd most of the time by Dustox ex, and if you get up against rocklock quickly, you can turn the match into a Dustox ex VS Amphy battle, in which they'd probably run out of lightning to discard.(not that I've tested matchups. This is all theory) Ludicargo, will probably lose its strength when Giant Stump gets released, but may stay among the top tiers. MetaNite will be a tough matchup.

So knowing this, the challenge is to come up with a useful combo to counter Dustox ex's weaknesses, and make it not just a viable deck, but one of the best in the format.

So. What are Dustox ex's weaknesses. Bascially we're going to look at countering fire and psychic pokemon. The first thing that pops into my head is the eeveelutions (mainly because I had been thinking about them a couple of days ago) and they seem to fit in very very nicely. You get the type variation from playing different eeveelutions, and their coming-into-play powers (esp. Umbreon) are good enough to give Dustox ex a boost in power that is needed with its damage cap'd at 70 for 3.
Also, much like Dustox ex, Umbreon/Vaporeon has a useful pre-evolution. Eevee. Having Eevee and Wurmple will ensure you have a decent start every single game, unless you dont have an energy.

Just so you know, here are the eeveelution cards that I'm thinking of including in the deck.

110.jpg
069.jpg

UMBREON EX

Pokebeach doesn't currently have a scan for this, so I'll post the spoiler.

Umbreon ex (D) - 110 HP
Stage 1: Evolves from Eevee

PokePower - Dark Ring
This Power can be used once during your turn when you play Umbreon ex from your hand to evolve one of your Pokemon. Choose one of the opponent's Bench Pokemon and switch it with the Active Pokemon. (Your opponent chooses the Active Pokemon to switch.)

[C] Dark Cry - 20 damage, and the Defending Pokemon can't retreat or use PokePowers during the opponent's next turn.
[DCC] Night Fang - 60

Weakness - Fighting
Resistance - Psychic
Retreat - (C)

So here's a possible decklist I've come up with of a Dustox ex/Umbreon ex deck, which may give other decks a run for their money.

Pokemon: 21
4 Dustox ex
4 Cascoon
4 Wurmple DX
2 Vaporeon ex
3 Umbreon ex
4 Eevee DS

Trainers: 23
4 Strength Charm
4 Giant Stump
2 Rocket's Admin.
3 Copycat
3 Steven's Advice/Field Worker
3 Great Ball
4 Prof. Elm's Training Method

Energy: 16
8 Grass Energy
4 Water Energy
4 Darkness Energy

Here's the basic reason for each card.

Dustox ex - stated before
Umbreon ex/Vaporeon ex - covers weaknesses
Giant Stump - Counter gym, also helps with Ludi/Possibly MetaNite matchup. I may change it though.
Strength Charm - Maxed out for the greatest chance of doing turn 2 50 damage with silver wind, or doing 80 damage with cutting wind.
Admin/Copycat/Stevens - Draw. Admin for slight disruption.
Energy - basically self explanitory.

I'm thinking of maybe -2 Charms +2 Shards, or sticking in LunaRock :D

Anywho. Here's how this deck works theoretically against everything else (known archetypes)

SMP - Dustox ex takes away your scizor ex problems, and can cause a stalemate until someone switches. The trick is to use Umbreon to gust out their beldums for the KO, or lock down their Metagross with Dark Cry. I'm not really sure which way this matchup will go. Sounds 50/50 to me. Depends on the build.

ZRE - Dustox ex pwns them. Ray ex cant hit you. Zappy cant hit you. Trode cant hit you. Magmar gets OHKO'd. Cargo gets OHKO'd with a strength charm. They're be lucky to get 6 prizes off you. (unless for some reason they played the UF Magcargo, but I havent seen anyone playing that yet)

Queendom - Dustox OHKOs any queens they send out, unless they play Protective orb or holon fighting w/fire energies. Both are hard to fit into a queendom deck, so I think you should be safe with this matchup.

Ludicargo - A hard matchup... kind of. Limiting your bench helps a lot against Ludi damage, and Giant Stump gets rid of their bench space, and also their setup. With only 4 pokemon in play, the ludi player can't set up more than 1 ludicargo search, and will probably have to have one spot for their tech Lanturn/Cargo UF/Weezing etc. Vaporeon can OHKO Magcargo with 2 energy, which is useful, and Umbreon's pokepower can stop the odd tech pokemon from getting set up. But this is a hard matchup.

Medicham - Medicham can't touch you. Neither can their tech Espeon ex. Houndoom can OHKO you, but I think you'll see it coming, and can prepare to KO it back, or use Umbreon's power to KO it. This Matchup shouldn't be too hard. But then again, there are a lot of good Medicham players out there.

Blastoise/Lugia/Steelix - Can't touch you. Well, they can. But Wartortle isnt going to do enough damage to be threatening.

Dragtrode - Sneasel ex is partially taken out of the equation, but watch out for drag off. You could run into trouble also, If they get a proper Dark Electrode swarm going. Dark Dragonite has resist to grass, but you should play shards if you think you'll run into dragtrode. I dont know which deck would win. But Dustox ex definitely has a chance to.

Rocklock - Can't really get up a proper rock-lock because of the OHKO factor on Sand Damage ttar. They may not need to though, as Spinning Tail ttar does do a lot of damage, and hurts heaps. My advice would be to ko all the larvitars you possibly can, then hope to win the AmphyVSDustox ex matchup. I'm not too sure though. Rocklock is a good deck.

MetaNite - MetaNite wins basically. I can't think of much else. If you can KO them quick before they set up, then you win. If you cant, then their resistence to Dustox ex, and their effectiveness against Vaporeon leaves you to attack with Umbreon, who wont beat MetaNite single handedly.

And that's the matchups.

If you know of any other matchups, or think there's another way to play a certain matchup feel free to add your comment. I'll probably end up editing this a bit.

And that's it basically. Remember, this is a post about Dustox ex and ways to use it. It is not about Dustox ex/Umbreon ex/Vaporeon ex, so feel free to post a different strategy involving Dustox ex which we can discuss if you want to. The Vap/umb deck was what I feel works best with Dustox ex at the moment, but my feelings towards it are subject to change. I will be accepting any help on my current decklist though.

Thanks for reading. I might post another card discussion soon if you guys want me to. I just want to see who's interested in this type of discussion on the pokebeach forums at the moment.

Anyways, It's been fun writing.

~Secretsmeargle

P.S the pictures came out HUGE. Sorry if they take up too much room. Anyone know how to shrink them?

Whoa. Nice article. *applauds*

Dustox.. frankly, it's insane. 3 for 70 is crazy (well, Armaldo's one even has a special effect, but that's beside the point).. and Safeguard stops exes from KO'ing you - and generally, bar Weakness/Resistance, you need an Ex to kill another Ex.

I'd say one of the more effective counters against Dustox (which isn't all that great, but it just came to mind) is Speed Deoxys Ex. Its attack, Fastwave, gets through Safeguard.. and Dustox is weak against it, so 100 damage.

PS. About the pics.. I can halve their size if you want. Might also help to put Vappy and Eevee on the same line.

EDIT: Halved, it's kinda hard to read.. 75% is ok, though.

EDIT: Actually... Vappy is hard to read any smaller.. I dunno, posting links to them might be more friendly on the 56kers, I don't see any other solution. :/

Very, very good article. I would have writen one eventually but dont have the time. I support you on almost all of your choices except the Eeveevolutions. Most psychic pokemon are weak to psychic, only a few rare ones are weak to dark. Maybe Espeon ex would be a better choice instead of Umbreon ex.

I also have a very good deck strategy to counter all weaknesses and other decks like SMP and Ludicargo (even though Stump half does that for you). I'm actually not going to say anything about it since i'll be giving my WHOLE deck idea away and I dont wanta do that just yet :p

Apart from those things, this article is very well written and you should be congratulated! Well done!

Hiya

Thanks for reading. If it's too much of a problem to change the sizes and still keep it readable, then I guess it could be left as it is. It's just that when I first saw them I was like "WOAH THEY ARE BIGger that I thought they would be", but I guess I'm getting used to the sizes now.

Anywho. I agree about the Deoxys ex (speed) weakness. Deoxys ex (speed) and Dustox ex 2HKO each other, but most of the time Doexys ex (speed) is teamed up with some energy manip, so it could be hard to take on.

Which also reminds me. Dustox ex could have problems with other safeguard pokemon. =O Can't believe I missed that one out.

Anyone know a way to get past that? Maybe a non-ex eevee. I dunno.
Keep the comments coming. =D

~Secretsmeargle

Abhorsen - I picked Umbreon because Espeon ex, although being super effective, has a weakness to psychic. So most of the time, I'd be Koing them, then they'd be Koing me, but I'd only get 1 prize, and they'd get 2. Umbreon ex doesn't have weakness to psychic, and resists them, which helps out heaps. I even forgot that some psychics were weak to dark =S

PS: AWWWWWWWWWW!!! Tell me your strat please!!! lol

Well Wobbuffet isnt legal anymore since it's from SS, Shuckle is Space Centre meat and who seriously play Altaria and Dewgong? Speedeoxys ex and Nineales are a worry though, weakness and Safeguard... I do have a counter but I REALLY dont want give my deck idea away since i'm most likely playing my Dustox ex combo when it comes out, possibly at States and Nationals.

I was actually going over your article more thoroughly and noticed some things which may help out you deck build. I didnt concentrate the 1st time around, lol.

The 1st thing I noticed which I didnt really pay attention to for some strange reason was the 4 Cascoon. Wurmple deck searches for them and you dont need to have one in starting hand (unless you dont get an energy but that's not what im saying). 4 seems a bit too much so I would go with 3 or even 2 for that matter. Candy might have to be a choice here.

Then I thought about the resistance problem. Scizor ex (or Registeel ex), even though it cant do anything, is the ultimate stalling machine vs Dustox ex. Not only is there resistance but Metal energies and Steel Wing stop you from doing something too. That got me thinking, how can you get around that? Crystal Shard pops straight into my head since there's no stadium atm which cancels out grass resistance (damm biased Magnetic Storm, lol). That STILL doesnt solve the Metal energy and Steel Wing Problem but adds the +30 to the attack at least for a turn. Apart from putting in Speedeoxys Ex which gets past it all, there really isnt any way to counter that apart from Fire types really. They will simply stall until they build up something powerful on the bench like Metagross. Scizor ex could cause major problems for this deck but I do see Dustox ex turn 2 as being very helpful since they arent gonna get Scizor ex out that quickly (most of the time). Umbreon ex or Vaporeon ex will HAVE to be used much more versing Steel decks. I would only use Dustox ex active to stall vs Ex's and pump Vappy ex or Umbreon ex till they can start picking things off.

The other thing I noticed was Steven's Advice. Why would you put that in when Stump cancels out the possibility of +2 cards. I would actually put TV reporters in. Steven isnt always very reliable early in the game when you need cards quickly. Also, what is Field Worker? Do you mean Holon Farmer?

Also with Stump in the deck, LunaRock wont work. You need to give 2 bench spaces to them. That leaves Dustox ex active and room for 1 Eeveevolution ex. Not always such a good choice to decide which evolution you should evolve them into when you need both.

Well, that's my other 2 cents there. :D

Hiyas

Well, Field Worker is the new supporter coming you in Legend Maker.

Field Worker - Trainer - Supporter
Draw 3 cards. Your opponent may draw 1 card.

More useful than TV Reporter Draw-Wise, but also gives your opponent a card, which may hurt.

About the Cascoon-RareCandy thing. IMO one of the strengths of Dustox ex, is that it doesnt have to play rare candy. If you get your first Dustox ex up turn 2, then it should be able to last enough turns to get out another one, even w/o rare candy.
Although putting in rare candies would speed it up a little, I think that going 3-4 Candies with 3 Cascoon isn't as good as 4 Cascoon with some tech or more draw. Unless of course the other pokemon you play in the deck happens to be a stage 2 also, in which rare candy would be needed.

Hmm... Well, first it was the safeguard pokemon thing... but I CAN'T BELIEVE I forgot to mention resistance as one of Dustox ex's weaknesses -_-. I should put something in about it I guess, but anyone who reads up to here should pick up on it, so I might just leave it out. =/

Anyways.. anyone else got any ideas of what to use with Dustox ex?

I was thinking jirachi-swoop-Dark slowking but I'm unsure at the moment.

~Secretsmeargle

Yah, resistance will be a big problem. Ive had times where i've lost plainly on resistance and metal energies. Steel types are plainly broken versing Grass types and Scizor ex is broken altogether which makes it even worse...

Another problem... Dustox ex VS Dustox ex... who will win? Noone will!!! This could also be a big problem. With all the expected Dustox ex decks out there, mirror matches will pop up all over the place. Noone will win until someone switches, then the OTHER Dustox ex will get a prize. This will end up with many problems. Unless they errata Dustox ex's Safeguard saying "Not including Dustox ex" so both can attack each other then it will get better or I fear the game (with Giant Stump, Cradily and Dustox ex) may be in trouble.

Hiya

I think that's where your choice in the supporting pokemon matters heaps. That's why I like the idea of using Dark Slowking at the moment. It can come in and OHKO the opponent's Dustox ex in a mirror match.

But yea, It still has troubles with scizor ex. :(

Thats a nice deck, but the only probleam is theres to many ex in the deck and also dessrt ruins hurts the deck. other that that great deck.:)

There are some forms of ZRE that play HL Electrode.

Which would OHKO both itself and Dustox, Dustox player getting one prize with them getting two. =/

Hiya,

The question is though, can they get 6 prizes from just HL trode? And also, how do they power up HL electrode?

IMO, ZRE has ways of getting past Dustox ex, but I doubt they could get 6 prizes out of it, which is why IMO, Dustox ex wins the matchup.

~Secretsmeargle

P.S - I take what I said before back, Having rare candy in this deck may be useful. I'll see if the room is there.

Use Voltorb's Recharge, evolve next turn or whenever the Dustox comes into play, then kill it.

Or, you could use an Electrode ex, Admin them, and then use Mass Destruction.

Or Admin them after Mass Destruction, giving them 3 cards...

Or something like that. But I haven't seen Meta-night around my area, so Dustox ex may be a threat here...

I can see the problem with Electrode and Mass destruction. I cant see a person basing a whole deck around it though. However, yes it will prove to be a threat, but what decks dont have threats these days? If there werent so many Ex's in this deck I could even suggest Holon WP energy. Simply slap on a Water energy with it and there you go, problem solved. Even though Dustox ex OHKOs Electrode the only problem I see is having Electrode active so you can switch in and kill it. I dont like Reversal since it's flip-lucky but IF Electrode is a threat in your area and you see one fully powered up on the bench waiting for you well I dont see a choice but for Reversal. You could even put Pow! in. If they get a Dustox ex KO well they'll be up on prizes. Therefore, Pow! works and you can just bring up one of their Electrodes or Ex's for the KO...

RE:  Dustox ex - Legend Maker

Abhorsen said:
I can see the problem with Electrode and Mass destruction. I cant see a person basing a whole deck around it though. However, yes it will prove to be a threat, but what decks dont have threats these days? If there werent so many Ex's in this deck I could even suggest Holon WP energy. Simply slap on a Water energy with it and there you go, problem solved. Even though Dustox ex OHKOs Electrode the only problem I see is having Electrode active so you can switch in and kill it. I dont like Reversal since it's flip-lucky but IF Electrode is a threat in your area and you see one fully powered up on the bench waiting for you well I dont see a choice but for Reversal. You could even put Pow! in. If they get a Dustox ex KO well they'll be up on prizes. Therefore, Pow! works and you can just bring up one of their Electrodes or Ex's for the KO...
Well if that was the case then that deck would vialate several philosophies that ZRE composes of.

1. Electrode will only be Active long enough to use Mass Destruction.
2. Electrode won't build on the bench, it either builds as a Voltorb, or gets powered up by an Electrode ex's Extra Energy Bomb. And if it does that, your opponent will have taken 3 prizes while the ZRE player only takes 2, giving the opponent no Pow! advantage but gives the ZRE player both an Admin advantage and a Pow! advantage.
3. HL Electrode would only be played as a tech in ZRE, and then therefore gives the opponent no time to anticpate it.

And it really wouldn't be that big to be a threat. You could even use Tyranitar-delta and use Delta Crush, K.O'ing the Dustox.

Hiyas

Remember, the Dustox ex player will most likely get up the Dustox ex turn 2, so it will rush the opponent's deck.

In the case of Tyranitar Delta, what would be a challenge, but you can both OHKO each other, and a decent start by the Dustox ex deck is almost guaranteed. I'll have to test the matchup, because I haven't really gone through it at the moment, but I'm guessing the Dustox ex deck actually has a good chance of winning against Tyranitar Delta.

In the case of ZRE, Voltorb will not be able to recharge after turn 1. Gettind up a turn 2 dustox ex will ensure 40+ damage is done every turn from then on. Voltorb has only 40 HP, therefore it isnt goig to last if you want to power up an electrode HL like that.
  In the case of using Electrode ex to power it up, well that will work. However, as you said, Bombing onto another voltorb, and evolving that into electrode HL will cost you 3 prizes just to pick up 2. It also costs you 2 voltorbs. Now, what are you going to do against the 2nd Dustox ex? I know it depends how quickly you get your electrode HL out, but as you said, it is just a tech, and the only card in ZRE that gets is out is pokéball.

So, that's my view on electrode HL. Especially in ZRE. I dont think electrode can be prevented from getting a ko on a Dustox ex. However, I do believe it will be extremely hard to win the game for ZRE. Koíng one Dustox ex wont do that; but then again, I haven't thoroughly tested the matchup, this is just theory.

~Secretsmeargle

Ah, well if you do get Dustox ex turn 2 then that put's you at a real advantage. Once the Voltorb is KO'ed then they arent going to have 5 energy in their discard pile to use Electrode ex. ZRE decks have electrikes and voltorbs as both have Recharge. They will try and get as much Lightning energy as they can so they can get Electrode up and running quickly. Then once Dustox ex is taken out, they will do Zapdos ex sweeping. It is at your advantage if you get Wurmple, Dustox ex and 2 energy in starting hand. This leaves out for Flipping on Cascoon.

It would prove to be a problem if you are going 2nd (unless you absolutely need to use a supporter) if they start with Voltorb. They then can have Electrode ready turn 2 as well but it is harder on them since Voltorb doesnt have Ascension, yet Celios are very real. You would be hoping they dont have Electrode early, and they shouldnt have too many in their deck either since they will mostly be concentrating on Electrode ex. You dont see ZRE with 2 or 3 HL Electrode do you? It's mainly 1, or possibly 2, never usually anymore than that.

Dustox ex does have an advantage over ZRE now that I think about it. Zapdos ex, Rayquaza ex and Electrode ex cant attack it at all. Once they use their 1 HL Electrode (IF they even include it in the deck) then they are screwed anyway.

but metagross is a huge weakness for dustox ex. Furthermore, from the deck posted, how can it counter deck also with safeguard?:p

you do realize that you have one major weakness to this deck and its victreebel/weezing. Since weezing DX with dessert ruins combined it could KO dustox ex with one shot and that means you would have to start all over with the start up

Back