Facebook "Destroyed" Nov 5th

Do you use Facebook?

• Yes

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • No

Votes: 34 47.2%

• Total voters
Sure. I believe that facebook and apple both abuse information shared. Sending this information to third parties for advertising is wrong and sending it to governments is even worse.

If you want an example of this imagine the different types of advertising. Each advertisement has a different appeal. Facebook tracks what you purchase and from there can give you ads based on ads you fell for earlier. This is a system that can take advantage of people and for this reason I believe it is wrong.

You may not have been taken advantage of but I know people who have.

This is a subject that is very important to me. If you have further arguments post them.

The thing is that the privacy statments they have written allow that. You are agreeing to their terms when you sign up, and they have the right to do what they wish under the conditions they have listed. If you have a problem with it, don't use it.

Yes but as in all contracts most people rush through and read them. I doubt that most people who go on Facebook read the full legal information. I doubt most people even know that their information is being used in this way.

Oh look, there's this big statement that's probably used to deter me from trying to understand it. I'll just sign up for it and hope they won't do something bad and get away with it because I agreed to some junk.

As sensitive of a topic it might be to you, it's a sad truth that the legal system in the US makes privacy statements necessary, to prevent legal consequences. You want to sign up for something of theirs, you play their rules.

I agree and for that reason I hate most large corporations that take advantage of that. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone in saying this. It's just my opinion.

#1weavile said:
The people that said that Facebook should be shut down probably haven't used Facebook at all. You could be part of the small percentage that used it and still didn't like it though.

I agree. Honestly, all of you in this thread want Facebook shut down for simply dumb, selfish reasons. You don't use it? Great, no need to destroy it for others. Don't want your private information on the internet? Don't join. Simple solutions for those of you who think everyone using Facebook is an over-obsessed, can't get through one day without it person. Seriously?

I casually use Facebook and I would definitely not like it if it was hacked. Just because all you folks don't use it doesn't mean you should want it destroyed. Especially because millions and millions of people use Facebook. I think it's an extremely selfish thing to say:

Delta said:
If this act goes through (and I hope it does) then it will literally mean NOTHING for the internet...and I mean nothing. Whiny teenagers will just whine like they do for a week, go back to myspace and the guy who created facebook will sit on his riches. Anonymous are doing a favour, they actually are helping other people.

You think whiny teenagers are the only people who use Facebook and are the only ones who would be affected by something like this? Millions of people use Facebook to keep in touch with friends. Almost everyone in my family has a Facebook. Why? Because it HELPS people STAY CONNECTED even when they're miles away from each other. It's a friendly website for anybody's age.

You don't like it? Don't freaking use it. No need to be a hating on those who actually enjoy it. Imagine if something you used a lot got taken down? Imagine if Pokemon was taken down? Both Facebook and Pokemon are things loved and used by people EVERYDAY. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But just because opinions are conflicting each other does not give anyone the right to attack the other person's opinion and literally take it away from them.

Anonymous does not need to liberate me from anything. I love Facebook and I know how to make my mind up about privacy issues. I don't need them making decisions for me on what should be private and what shouldn't be. This is the same exact thing they did with Playstation Network, making them out to be greedy people and then they got it shut down for over a month. You think that helped the majority of the people? No, they did it for their own Anonymous group fame. They don't actually care about people. They care about continuing the name of Anonymous as a threatening group.

Right. People that don't like facebook that say it's good for it to be shut down come off as selfish.

How would you like it if someone who doesn't play Pokémon said, "Pokémon is a childish waste of time as well as a money suck. I'm going to hack PokéBeach, Bulbapedia, The Gym, http://google.com/, and Serebii because I don't like it."

It's ridiculous.

I wouldn't be surprised if Anonymous could actually pull this off, especially with their showcase of what they did to the PSN Network.

I do use Facebook, but honestly if it happened, it wouldn't affect me all too much. It might cripple some businesses that majorly use Facebook as a marketing tool though.

Lenny said:
I agree. Honestly, all of you in this thread want Facebook shut down for simply dumb, selfish reasons. You don't use it? Great, no need to destroy it for others. Don't want your private information on the internet? Don't join. Simple solutions for those of you who think everyone using Facebook is an over-obsessed, can't get through one day without it person. Seriously?

I casually use Facebook and I would definitely not like it if it was hacked. Just because all you folks don't use it doesn't mean you should want it destroyed. Especially because millions and millions of people use Facebook. I think it's an extremely selfish thing to say:

You think whiny teenagers are the only people who use Facebook and are the only ones who would be affected by something like this? Millions of people use Facebook to keep in touch with friends. Almost everyone in my family has a Facebook. Why? Because it HELPS people STAY CONNECTED even when they're miles away from each other. It's a friendly website for anybody's age.

You don't like it? Don't freaking use it. No need to be a hating on those who actually enjoy it. Imagine if something you used a lot got taken down? Imagine if Pokemon was taken down? Both Facebook and Pokemon are things loved and used by people EVERYDAY. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But just because opinions are conflicting each other does not give anyone the right to attack the other person's opinion and literally take it away from them.

Anonymous does not need to liberate me from anything. I love Facebook and I know how to make my mind up about privacy issues. I don't need them making decisions for me on what should be private and what shouldn't be. This is the same exact thing they did with Playstation Network, making them out to be greedy people and then they got it shut down for over a month. You think that helped the majority of the people? No, they did it for their own Anonymous group fame. They don't actually care about people. They care about continuing the name of Anonymous as a threatening group.
Yes teenagers can over use Facebook, but my dad uses Facebook EVERY DAY to talk to old friends and people he doesn't get to see very often. Families and friends can be kept together by Facebook. It would be impressive if Anonymous could take down Facebook, but it doesn't mean they should do it. People put in private information which Facebook probably can take, but you don't have to put in all that private stuff and Anonymous doesn't have to stop it.

Rock Wrecker, I'm confused. Were you agreeing or disagreeing with me? Because if you were disagreeing with me I think you read my message wrong. Same goes scizorliscious, I'm not sure if that was an attack on my points or someone else's. =S

I was agreeing with you xD People like my dad use Facebook to stay connected with old friends and without it, it would be hard to still talk to each other. My dad can also to to my older brother who lives a few hours away. You don't have to put private info. It's not a requirement or anything (at least I think so.) If you don't want it taken don't put it up.

If Facebook gets destroyed it will destroy me too :( it's the only way I can communicate with so many friends from pokemon, friends in other states, and people that go to my school that I don't have classes with. My friend at league told me that it's bad to 'like' certain pages on Facebook because when you do that you're allowing them to post your information elsewhere. Tricky, tricky facebook like-maker people >.< He said his friend liked something and her pictures ended up on an innapropriate site. I was like addicted to liking those things cause some are so funny, but I only like statuses and comments now D:

Lenny, I agree with you completely. Sorry I didn't make that clear, I was just adding in something else.

Lololol at everyone complaining about Facebook being boring. What is Facebook other than a compilation of what your friends are doing or thinking and giving you a way to find out about it. If all of your friends are doing is boring then facebook isn't a problem. Its A social network not entertainment. If Facebook using the info from our private messages to sell to companies in there is a problem but until they prove it I don't see anything wrong with facebook at all. Sure facebook is boring but it gets too boring go do something else have a life lol

British police charge teen over Anonymous attacks

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44334994/ns/technology_and_science-security/

I don't know what to say on this.

As many others have said inevitably, I do agree with what they say, but hacking isn't really the way to go about it. I'm not one to fall for conspiracies, but it is rather scary per se that the government has every bit of your info and you can't take it back. Not that it matters to me, but seriously, we could all be being watched right now. (lol, why anyone would want to "spy" on me though I don't know)

Like many others, I look forward to this date just to see if they can pull this off.

I'd like it if facebook was gone. Most of the people i know spend hours on it, which is completely unhealthy. The information violation is an issue as well. My biggest interest is if they can actually pull it off. :)

Back