Groudon-EX?

RE: Groudon ex???

Yep, Groudon is definitely a decent, worth noticing EX. The monstrous HP, type, weakness, and the lightning weakness will make it a big card once Dark Explorers comes out. Trample will be a great way to spread damage in the early turns, and then the second attack can just start hitting away for some huge amount of damage late in the game. Already, this card is fantastic against Eels just by looking at it; it also takes care of Dark Toolbox really easily (both decks have huge fighting weaknesses). I can agree about having it being added in Fighting decks once it comes out (really Terrakion at this rate). Tornadus EX might be the one thing that might stand against, and so can Kyurem, but otherwise, I can expect this card to have some sort of impact once it comes out.

Heres a good turn 2 combo that can go great Groudon-EX
Mew-EX & Drilbur (EP54),

How it works is you want Mew-EX as your active right off the bat, and if your facing CMT hope to Arceus your going first!
Turn 1 should play out be throwing Drilbur and Groudon-EX on the bench attaching any energy and using Drilbur's Hone Claw attack.
Hopefully if Mew-EX doesn't get donked which more than likely the little guy wont unless of course some one has Mewtwo-EX on the field with a DCE
Your next turn should be slapping an EXP share on Groudon-EX yur gonna need it if you can get it and finally sticking a fighting energy on Mew then attacking with Stamp....its going to be an amazing 50 to the active followed by a beautiful 40 damage across all your opponents bench, ensuring you kill ever Eel they have in play in 1 foul sweep. Mew dies, and you have Groudon-EX go out fighting with what ever other support guys you have sitting on the bench.

That's not a terrible idea (in theory). It's kind of like the Mew/Swanna/Tyranitar thing in that it's alright on paper but really pretty bad in practice. You say that it's unlikely for them to hit Mewtwo DCE? Really? Just that would totally destroy your strategy, and it's not hard to get those two cards, one of which is searchable and the other is replaceable with a forest breath.

I've been thinking of running this with Tyranitar Prime... But they aren't releasing a dark Larvitar or Pupitar in DEX :(. I mean, it's still playable, just not as much as I'd hope :/. Nevertheless, I'm going to test it, as a turn 2 T-Tar always scares the crap out of your opponent, and the darkness howl damage will definitely add up in this format of less-than-100-HP support Pokémon

Serperior said:
Trample is just fantastic. A nice spreading attack which can set you up for some huge Giant Claws, this really puts ZekEel decks in a kind of predicament. For some reason, I'm still seeing Kyurem around which can definitely take advantage of Groudon's Weakness. On the other hand, you can trash him pretty easily. Hahaha Tornadus is gonna see a lot of play to try and counter this guy.

I know right? Trample, Trample, Giant Claw, problem solved (not just Trample, Giant Claw because then 2 benched pokemon have 2 damage counters)

RogueListers said:
I've been thinking of running this with Tyranitar Prime... But they aren't releasing a dark Larvitar or Pupitar in DEX :(. I mean, it's still playable, just not as much as I'd hope :/. Nevertheless, I'm going to test it, as a turn 2 T-Tar always scares the crap out of your opponent, and the darkness howl damage will definitely add up in this format of less-than-100-HP support Pokémon

T-Tar/Groudon EX/Rocky Helmet

They aren't gonna release a Dark Larvitar/Pupitar because they aren't Dark type in the videogames... unless they have released dark versions in the past.

I don't think it will see much play.
Even with an eviolite attached it can be KOed by a Bolt Strike followed by a strong Volt.
Groudon won't be able to OHKO Zekrom EX unless it has been attacked with Rocky Helmet attached.
And it's harder to keep the energy going than with Terrakion, because you can't OHKO anything but Tynamos with 2 energies and in most situations you wanna use Rocky Helmet or Eviolite instead of Exp.Share.

The reason why Terrakion is so dangerous is because if the opponent has two of them in play with 1 energy each you can't KO any of them without expecting 90 dmg back. (180 against Lightning and Darkness). Groudon EX is easier for the opponent to control.

Emopanda133 said:
Since CMT is useless in Dark Explorers, between Electric and Dark Toolboxes, CMT gets dropped from Tier 1. (For those of you who think this is wrong, look up the Japan standings, Dark Toolbox is Top Deck, Electric Toolbox is right behind them, and Groudon variants in third.

But that's in Japan where they are playing in a BW-On Format, Our Format is still HGSS-On until Rotation. Of course CMT is dead in Japan because Celebi is no longer legal there where as here in the U.S. it's still alive and well.

We may as just call ZekEels Electric Toolbox cause that's basically what it is, Dark Toolbox seems very good but it has problems against Terrakion/Landorus, Groudon EX. The one Groudon variant I keep hearing about is with Kyogre EX and Electrode.

Card Slinger J said:
But that's in Japan where they are playing in a BW-On Format, Our Format is still HGSS-On until Rotation. Of course CMT is dead in Japan because Celebi is no longer legal there where as here in the U.S. it's still alive and well.

Japan is still HGSS-On. They are the same as us.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they had some HS-On cards in those lists that won that certain Japanese tournament.

Groundon will impact the format more than some people think. It just needs a few techs, maybe a Six-Corners-like deck that revolves around him. Groundon could pair well with the only thing that defeats him, Kyurem. Hit with Kyurem for 30 to all the opponets field, then explode with Groundon EX to keep up the spread with Trample or wipe out the opponets field with Giant Claw. Either way the only deck that still stands a chance is CMT, but since you can tech in Terrakion, Tornadus, or Landorus, It shouldnt be too much trouble. Using Exp. Share will keep things moving, therefor there should be no trouble revenge killing with something.
I had a few people tell me that Groundon/Kyurem has no chance against a Mewtwo deck, heres to anyone else who thinks the same thing:

Mewtwo has 170 health, once they bench it use your next turn to hit with Kyurem for 30, bringing it down to 140. They bring up Mewtwo, kill Kyurem, you move a water energy to your Groundon EX that already has 1 fighting energy on it. Then you bring up Groundon EX and attatch a fighting energy. Drop a Black Belt or 2 Plus Power (or even 1 Plus Power and 1 Junk Arm) to KO Mewtwo.

olimar1023 said:
once they bench it use your next turn to hit with Kyurem for 30, bringing it down to 140. They bring up Mewtwo, kill Kyurem, you move a water energy to your Groundon EX that already has 1 fighting energy on it. Then you bring up Groundon EX and attatch a fighting energy. Drop a Black Belt or 2 Plus Power (or even 1 Plus Power and 1 Junk Arm) to KO Mewtwo.

That will not happen. It is much easier said than done. Also, you're assuming you have 4 energy in play. Groudon will have an impact, but it will NOT do that good. Like Sabledonk, it is a deck that has to be watched out for, but it never really won many tournaments.

iisnumber12 said:
That will not happen. It is much easier said than done. Also, you're assuming you have 4 energy in play. Groudon will have an impact, but it will NOT do that good. Like Sabledonk, it is a deck that has to be watched out for, but it never really won many tournaments.

Electrode can easily put 4+ energy on the field turn 2.

olimar1023 said:
Electrode can easily put 4+ energy on the field turn 2.

Electrode+1 Groundon EX KO and you are already behind 3 Prizes. You can't afford to do that.

Back