Groudon-EX?

RE: Groudon ex???

iisnumber12 said:
So what? Even if you do take prizes quickly, you will end up behind in the end.

You can because most CMT players dont have a second Mewtwo waiting because they dont want it to be Catcherd then KOd. And Groundon can easily take out any ZekEels or RaiEels deck before they get set up using Trample. All-in-all Groundon is NOT the card to beat (This would most likely be Mewtwo or Raikou even) but it is a force to be reckoned with.

olimar1023 said:
You can because most CMT players don't have a second Mewtwo waiting because they don't want it to be Catcherd then KOd. And Groundon can easily take out any ZekEels or RaiEels deck before they get set up using Trample. All-in-all Groundon is NOT the card to beat (This would most likely be Mewtwo or Raikou even) but it is a force to be reckoned with.

If they are good, they will have a Mewtwo benched. Why are you defending Groudon if it isn't event he card to beat.

Now I wanna play that Water Spread idea i had, just to mess with people who play this deck.
But yeah, this card seems pretty good. a shoo-in in Terrakion.

iisnumber12 said:
If they are good, they will have a Mewtwo benched. Why are you defending Groudon if it isn't event he card to beat.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about the CMT set-up.
The reason Im defending him is because
#1 He's an awesome pokemon :p
#2 Even though he isnt the BCIF he is real close in my book, he defeats the BDIF with just a few other fighting types like Terrakion and/or Landorus.

olimar1023 said:
#2 Even though he isnt the BCIF he is real close in my book, he defeats the BDIF with just a few other fighting types like Terrakion and/or Landorus.

Not even close. He has a type advantage against Zekrom (EX) and yet still only manages to trade prizes with them. The difference is that ZekEels has reliable acceleration as well as a wider variety of attackers (Tornadus EX for example beats Groudon EX handily). Groudon doesn't win any matchup since you'll lose a prize or two getting the damage spread, so he realistically does 80 damage for 3 energy, which is completely inferior to Terrakion who requires less energy to d more damage. Groudon also has far less health per prize given compared to Terrakion. Groudon EX isn't any good when its outclassed by Tetrakion.

I can't imagine Groudon being in the BDIF, but he could definitely make an impact. I hope he does because I've always liked him. Right now, though, without acceleration he's really hard to play. Isn't there a Terrakion EX coming out soon that has some sort of energy acceleration move? That could really help Groudon.

^ that. Groudon requires too many energy, and the amount can be easily KOd by a Mewtwo.

Groundon EX would only really be used in a damage spread deck, so he would only use 2 energy most of the time. Giant Claw would only be used for a KO on another EX or something.

olimar1023 said:
Groundon EX would only really be used in a damage spread deck, so he would only use 2 energy most of the time. Giant Claw would only be used for a KO on another EX or something.

There are really no spread decks. I think the spread attack will be used twice, then the player will atempt to sweep.

iisnumber12 said:
There are really no spread decks. I think the spread attack will be used twice, then the player will atempt to sweep.

No Spread Decks YET. But after we get Groundon, who knows?

May I note the fact that Groudon EX does have a threat called Kyurem EX. I can see Darkrai EX/Kyurem EX decks. Darkrai EX allows for free retreat for anything with Dark energies attached. If Kyurem EX has a Prism/Dark energy attached, it can Hail Blizzard for the OHKO and gain free retreat into another Kyurem EX on the bench. Though Catcher might be a problem, Vileplume hasn't been roated, so you can use that. As for ways to counter Catcher without Plume, we'll have to see what comes out in the set after DE.

^That would work. Against Groudon Would lose to pretty much anything els.
For it to work you would need to have some sort of energy acceleration. Could be a benched Feraligatr prime or you could pop some Electrodes.
Popping Electrodes wouldn't be a good solution since you would allready be behind for trying to set up Vileplume.
Setting up a Vileplume, Feraligatr, Darkrai, 2 Kyurem and getting 8 energies for them is quite hard.
And even though you get the set up, most skilled players can outplay it anyway.
Say you play against ZekEels. It wouldn't be a problem for them to trade prizes with Zekrom EX and if they could manage to get an Eviolite on a normal Zekrom before you get Vileplume, they will have a killer that you can't OHKO even though they used Bolt Strike once, and they would be able to 2HKO Kyurem.

Whoopee, you do all that set up for 120 damage a turn. That's 8 energies, some of which have to be dark, a Darkrai on the bench, a Vileplume and possibly Electrodes. Zekrom/Eels can do that with 2 Stage 1's and a basic. It might be better if Water was a better typing right now, but it only hits Groudon for Weakness, and Groudon won't see too much play.

Terrakion/Areodactly/Groundon EX. Im testing it and its working fairly well against everything other than the occasional KyruGatar.

I think it's too early to count Groudon out. Much like mono-Terrakion, it can OHKO any card in the Lightning/Darkness decks without much trouble. However, its damage cap is significantly higher than Terrakion's and the first attack is an interesting secondary option. A Tornadus with two damage counters on it still goes down to Groudon, whereas Terrakion can't get those reliable KOs on it.

Most important is the card's weakness and Resistance. Because the card is weak to Water and not Grass, it will at least be used as a 1-of or 2-of in Terrakion to deal with those Virizion and Shaymin-EX. That factor alone gives it a spot in Terrakion decks. However, I think that the Fighting decks in general will look significantly different after Groudon's release. I've been using Terrakion as a tech in mine.

Fighting has now a reason to live!! I would add a ruins of alph as a one-off though. It does counter those Skyarrow Bridges and makes life easier

Something like, 3 Terrakion, 2 Groudon EX, 2 Mewtwo EX looks good enough for me

Celebi23 said:
I think it's too early to count Groudon out. Much like mono-Terrakion, it can OHKO any card in the Lightning/Darkness decks without much trouble. However, its damage cap is significantly higher than Terrakion's and the first attack is an interesting secondary option. A Tornadus with two damage counters on it still goes down to Groudon, whereas Terrakion can't get those reliable KOs on it.

Most important is the card's weakness and Resistance. Because the card is weak to Water and not Grass, it will at least be used as a 1-of or 2-of in Terrakion to deal with those Virizion and Shaymin-EX. That factor alone gives it a spot in Terrakion decks. However, I think that the Fighting decks in general will look significantly different after Groudon's release. I've been using Terrakion as a tech in mine.

But, Terrakion is not an EX. Groudon is significantly better on paper, but what happens when your opponent sends up a full HP Eviolited Mewtwo with 6 Energies and KOs you. It seems impossible on paper, but it is easy to pull off and you can't recover easily.

Groudon EX benefits alot from Exp. Share, infact I see it being played with Terrakion/Landorus as a Tier 2 deck possibly. Find a way to get {F} in Discard, Abundant Harvest with Landorus with Exp. Share attached, then If he dies send the energy to your benched Groudon EX while you're setting up and you're ready to roll. Perhaps Donphan might make a comeback thanks to Groudon EX?

Card Slinger J said:
Groudon EX benefits alot from Exp. Share, infact I see it being played with Terrakion/Landorus as a Tier 2 deck possibly. Find a way to get {F} in Discard, Abundant Harvest with Landorus with Exp. Share attached, then If he dies send the energy to your benched Groudon EX while you're setting up and you're ready to roll. Perhaps Donphan might make a comeback thanks to Groudon EX?

I agree with the Landorus/Exp. Share, that will speed things up a bit for Groundon.
But Donphan? No. Donphan would be too slow as a Stage 1. And he needs 3 energy to do enough damage to take out Zekrom/Raikou but Terrakion can do the job for 2 energy most of the time. Plus Donphan hits your bench and is hard to get out of active postion. By the time you switch for Groundon or Terrakion all of your bench would have at least 20 damage.

Back