Pokemon How did you start playing pokemon?

Ice

Returnee
Title says it all? Me? I left home when I was 10 to become a Pokemon master and have been battling with my best friend Pikachu ever since. In all reality I played Pokemon Black for fun and got into the TCG and have been hooked ever since. (Read my bio if you want to learn about how I became good. :p)
Edit:500th post.

I started by watching the show (Kanto), but I didn't start playing until I randomly went into walmart and saw silver version on sale.

The first time I played Pokemon was as a 5 year old. I tried my neighbours Emerald and really liked it. Even though I didn't understand the battles. :3

My first own game was Emerald (and then Diamond) in March 2008. Got hooked :D

Well, I first got an original Gameboy from my cousin. Then when I went to Wal-Mart the next week it was my birth day, and I looked up, and there, in the shelf was Pokemon Yellow.

It was like a sign.

So I got it and I haven't stopped playing since.

I first started to play when my sister was playing Red or Blue and I happened to play her game a few times then she got mad when I was battling the E4 and losing. So following that, my parents got me Yellow and my Cousin gave me his Game Boy Color and here I am today, hyped-up for 6 generation. X3

I think I was about 6, I received a copy of Red for Christmas (my brother was given Yellow) and became completely addicted! Only problem was that I had a GameBoy Pocket and the AAA batteries at the time cost a fortune meaning I would end up going weeks without being able to play it... xD Fun times.

EDIT: I also remember not being able to work out how to leave the house at the beginning of the game. xD

mastermagpie said:
EDIT: I also remember not being able to work out how to leave the house at the beginning of the game. xD

:p I couldn't get to Sandgem Town. I was like: zomg this log needs cut or something omg. And didn't notice you could go from the side xD

Pineapple X said:
mastermagpie said:

:p I couldn't get to Sandgem Town. I was like: zomg this log needs cut or something omg. And didn't notice you could go from the side xD

Aha! The good ol' days when we were n00bs at Pokémon. xD To be fair though, the games have a hell-a-lot of mechanics to get used to for a first timer, and they never really had the tutorials like they do now!

I started liking Pokemon when I watched my cousin play Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, and my twin and I used to call it boring. Then, I went to Game (I live in Australia) and saw Pokemon Pearl. I picked it up, started playing it (after I bought it, of course) and I never took my eyes of it ever since that time. Then, my twin and I bought Heartgold and Soulsilver versions and enjoyed it so much! When we went to Lebanon, we bought our first Pokemon cards and found really rare ones! Now I love it a lot! Coincidentally, when we were babies (small children and now) we loved Dinosaurs so our parents bought us a dinosaur toy. After a few years (well, 7) I found out that it was Venasaur and, I used to have a Pikachu alarm clock before I used to know it was Pokemon.

Well, around the end of Gen 3 Pokemon was the big thing where I lived and all my friends were into it. They persuaded me to get into it, and the rest is history.

I'd watched the anime for years and realized they had video games for the GBA after watching a friend of mine play when I was in third grade. I got my own copy from Walmart a week or so later.

I started playing Blue after I got it for a birthday gift in middle school. All the other kids played it, so I thought I should too. By the time Gen 2 arrived, I was the only one still playing and was absolutely in love with the series after playing Silver.

I was walking around Wal Mart with my mother and father (Yeah this was a long ass time ago) and we were in the electronics department. There we see a lady removing some games from a new shipment box and so we go see. Seeing the intimidating turtle monster thingy on the cover I wanted it. I loved and still love turtles. Seeing Blastoise for the first time (The first Pokémon I have EVER seen) was awesome for me. I begged for the game and got the very first copy of Pokémon Blue sold in my city while still being unloaded to the shelves. I fell in love from there.

Ah the childishness of me
Blastoise - level 100 - Surf, Hydro Pump, Bubble Beam, Water Gun
Back when I thought it was best to have only moves of the same type. Screw Ice Beam and Earthquake, I've got water gun and bubble beam. (I'm NOT like that today. Don't worry)

I got a Game Boy color (Aqua) and a copy of Pokemon Red for Christmas the year the games came out in America. It took me a few years to really play the games in the series well, but I became hooked since the beginning pretty much.

When I was in Kindergarden, my one friend that I sat with on the bus would always play Pokémon on his Gameboy. I was fascinated by it. One day I went to a yard sale, and I found a couple of Pokémon Yellow for 25 cents (I also got a 12 inch Charmander Plush at the same yard sale), and I have been hooked ever since. Funny thing is me and that kid hardly talk to each other anymore, but we both still play the Pokémon games :)

My cousin had some cards so I started collecting them as well, then I finally received a game boy for Christmas (didn't even ask for one; I was unsure what it was when I unwrapped it) and my mom bought me yellow. I received and played R/B a few months later. This was in the later 90s.

Back when I was a kid, I was naive and quickly decided anything wierd was stupid... so when Pokemon first came out, I told myself it was stupid.

Then one day during recess, I find my best friend (who up until that point said he felt the same way about Pokemon) playing Pokemon Red... and I immediately become enamored by the game, wondering what he's doing, where he's going, did he catch a "Raikachu" yet? He had both Red and Blue, so he loaned me his Blue version (till I got my own games), and I've loved the series ever since.

Scuba Steve said:
Ah the childishness of me
Blastoise - level 100 - Surf, Hydro Pump, Bubble Beam, Water Gun
Back when I thought it was best to have only moves of the same type. Screw Ice Beam and Earthquake, I've got water gun and bubble beam. (I'm NOT like that today. Don't worry)

HA! I did the same thing! Pikachu with Thunder, Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave and Thundershock!

Back