How much do you spend on cards when a new set comes out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

afrokid

Aspiring Trainer
*Removed*

This week we where looking at the fresh cards coming out in cold flare as well as the new darkrai, raquaza and mewtwo ex tins when this question came up

How much do you spend on cards when a new set comes out?

Me and youngnes try not to follow the hype but of coarse went crazy for trying to get Mewtwos like everyone else did. and now that the new set is out with a fresh batch of money stealling exs just wanted to know what other spend on cards. in total we probaly bought a box and a mewtwo single so we spent probally about 200$ on next destinies. so far maybe like 50 $ on Darkrush and thats pretty much just some packs from prerealese.

RE: gotta win em all How much do you spend on cards when a new set comes out?

For English sets, I always buy a booster box. Additional purchases from there vary, but I'll usually pick up the multi-pack blisters for promos. I also tend to get gift sets and tins, but those aren't always connected to any particular release, so not sure if they count or not.

For Japanese sets, I usually get 2 booster boxes, one of each of the double sets. The last time they released a single set at once (Dark Rush), I got 2, but it kind of felt like a waste since I got most of the set in a single box anyway and just ended up with more doubles, so I might just stick with one box for the next Japanese single release. Like English packs, I also like getting the Japanese multi-pack sets for the promo cards, and I also get the Japanese pre-constructed decks, since, unlike in the English sets, those decks have exclusive cards that are only available in the decks (not just alternate holo/not-holo art).

So, depending on what all is available, around $100-$150 per release.

Removed the link and random stuff.

Depends on the set really, I got a Dark Explorers Booster box as there were enough good cards to justify it. If the set only has 2-3 goods cards and mostly crap then I will just buy singles of the cards I need.

I don't collect, so I only buy for playing. Got 2 Darkrai's in my booster box and 1x Tornadus EX (Best booster box EVER) and after seeing the Tin Promo of Darkrai I won't bother buying any until they come out. Two will last me just fine for now (3 Would be nice though)

But lots of people want $50 - $60 for them still here in NZ, just to much for something that's going to get cheap imo

I always buy just enough of what I need to keep staying competitive. Until they make a set with more than 5 playable Pokemon, I wont buy any booster boxes.

If it is a japanese set usually I try get a box they are not that expensive in comparison to an english booster box. I also try get some of the decks and promotional packs.

Korean I get a booster box of the set and mabye a deck depending on if the set has one.

English I tend to get 2-3 packs mabye a tin or blister pack. For dark explorers my first pack opening was yesterday lol

Depends on how good the set is. atleast 2 pre-releases, maybe a box or buy singles.

GHJamesGH said:
I always buy just enough of what I need to keep staying competitive. Until they make a set with more than 5 playable Pokemon, I wont buy any booster boxes.

Define Playable. By my count and def, DEX gave us 6-7 of them.

Groudon EX
Raikou EX
Tornadus EX
Darkrai EX
Zoroark
Empoleon
Excadrill

It depends, though. Sometimes I might buy a box. Often times i'll buy random booster packs a few times a month. If a card is cheap enough and important enough then I might even buy singles. It varies on a set by set basis.

I find it is more cost-friendly to just buy singles. In the past, I've spent TONS of money on packs. Now that I realize I can save more money, I rarely do.

I tend not to buy packs I trade for them and usually I get great pulls I pulled 3 ex's and 1 ex full art in 5 ND packs.
That's all i bought from the set I spent £3 on 1 pack and traded for the others I earned £67 profit not bad.

Didn't care too much for DE i have my korean Dark Rush box

raw19 said:
Define Playable. By my count and def, DEX gave us 6-7 of them.

Groudon EX
Raikou EX
Tornadus EX
Darkrai EX
Zoroark
Empoleon
Excadrill

It depends, though. Sometimes I might buy a box. Often times i'll buy random booster packs a few times a month. If a card is cheap enough and important enough then I might even buy singles. It varies on a set by set basis.

I hate to argue and everything, but based on my playtesting, I'm only counting 4 good pokemon.

I guess playable in my opinion is a card in a deck that wins.

For example, Durant is an ok deck right now, it just can't win for so many reasons. I do not find Durant playable.
A card like Raikou EX can or cannot be used in Zekeels, which is a deck that has a chance to win. I find Raikou EX playable.

GHJamesGH said:
I hate to argue and everything, but based on my playtesting, I'm only counting 4 good pokemon.

For example, Durant is an ok deck right now, it just can't win for so many reasons. I do not find Durant playable.
A card like Raikou EX can or cannot be used in Zekeels, which is a deck that has a chance to win. I find Raikou EX playable.

I'd agree that Empoleon and Excadrill aren't playable now, in terms of chances of winning anything bigger than a Battle Road, but I think they have huge potential for future formats. I think Excadrill will be very powerful in a format without Junk Arm.

GHJamesGH said:

Well, which 4 have you found playable from playtesting? o.o

I am posting on both what me and my parents spend on pokemon (parents are for traveling expenses). So between cards and Travel we probably spend 2-3 grand a year.

^Dude, that is alot.

raw19 said:
Well, which 4 have you found playable from playtesting? o.o

Out of that list:

Groudon EX (with right support, it can be deadly)
Raikou EX (ZekEels)
Tornadus
Darkrai

Empoleon is borderline. It needs Terrakion and will never be more than a Tier 2 Deck in this format, but it may increase in popularity after the rotation. I personally don't think Zoroark is playable right now. I don't know about other formats, but it NEEDS a T2 120 in order to do work, and it just doesn't happen. Not to mention it is really frail. Excadrill... Just no...

Gistica said:
I am posting on both what me and my parents spend on pokemon (parents are for traveling expenses). So between cards and Travel we probably spend 2-3 grand a year.

That's too much for just cards damn

ThatPokemonCollector said:
Gistica said:

That's too much for just cards damn

That is $166 - $250 per month. It is a question of priorities. I knew a guy who spent $1000 per month on horse racing 35 years ago. At least on cards you have something to show for it.

I probably spend £100 per set for both me and my brother. I think that's decent with about 3 sets out per year.

omahanime said:
That is $166 - $250 per month. It is a question of priorities. I knew a guy who spent $1000 per month on horse racing 35 years ago. At least on cards you have something to show for it.
Yeah it's kind of funny because without going to Nats we probably would spend about $800 a year :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back