Collecting "How Much is This Card Worth?" / "Is This a Good Trade?"

RE: The ''How much is a card worth?'' topic.

um..can someone explain what Square cut is and possibly link me an example of one? I have a ton of base cards..

I have a Sabrina's Abra Nintento promo who has an edge missing (it came that way from the magazine). Are they all like that or is that a Rare misprint/printing cut error..

How much would it be worth

@Psyphoon - That is known as a “blank misprint” card. There are two types of these cards: blank fillers (which were completely blank) and blank misprints (which have borders). The completely blank cards took up any existing empty slots in the last squares of the sheet. They were primarily considered "filler" or "test" cards in the manufacturing process.

Your card is a misprint. Due to its yellow border, it shows that the front was never placed. In rare circumstances, blank cards were accidentally inserted into booster packs after the final cut was made. I have seen a few of these cards between $15 - $50, depending on whether it was white, silver, or holofoil. Blank misprints (holofoil) are in the higher end, roughly $30 - $50.

@mlouden03 - “Square Cut” is a term used to describe cards where the corners weren't rounded (i.e. they are sharp, thus creating a perfectly edged card). Here is a link or two to give you an idea of what they look like. The second example (EDIT: Ninja'd! This is also mentioned by omahanime) compares a regular card to a square cut card.

Sabrina's Abra (Black Star Promo #19) was cut correctly a good ninety-five percent of the time. You have one of the oddly cut cards.

I would estimate it to be worth around $4 - $6, depending on its condition.

While I am on the topic on improperly cut cards...

Printing cut errors are erroneously believed to possess high worth, yet in fact they are worth less than a regular card because they are considered to be flawed. They can be graded, though it will never be a PSA 10, 9, or even 8. This is because one of the several grading requirements for a card is alignment and centering; if the front and/or back of a card is not centered to specific measurements, its grade number is lowered until its measurements match those found in a particular grading category.

Its probably been mentioned a couple of times but a shiny Rayquaza what would that be worth, along with a Lugia Legend top and bottom and a Vaporeon Gold Star.

@Meltdown – Lugia LEGEND and Vaporeon ☆ have been mentioned. I don't believe Lugia LEGEND was ever answered. Vaporeon ☆ was answered once, last year. It is no longer an accurate price.

- Shiny Rayquaza [SL 10, Call of Legends] = $15 - $25
- Lugia LEGEND [Both halves] = $10 - $30; Many LEGEND cards (when both halves are together) tend to be in this range, though most are ≤ $20.
- Vaporeon ☆ [102/108; Power Keepers] = $20 - $30

Anyone know how much this is? I was going through my old cards and found it...

434px-Pikachu_wp27.jpg

does anyone know how much a promo gold-border junggle set meowth costs? They were given out in packs of fruit snacks when jungle was released with an altered gold border.

How much is : HGSS - RH Double Colourless Energy?

@Frost

- Japanese Gameboy Dragonite Promo = $6 - $13; I myself bought one ages ago for roughly $10.
- Coro Coro (Brock's) Onix = $6 - $15
- Coro Coro (Brock's) Mankey = $10 - $12
- Coro Coro (Lt. Surge's) Electabuzz = $10

The majority of the Coro Coro Promos (Gym Hero/Gym Challenge Alternative Prints) are roughly $10 - $15, though price can vary due to card or character popularity.

Thanks! Sounds like I lucked out on eBay then - I got Dragonite for $7 and the other three in one listing for $11.

Also, what are Cresselia LV. X and Tangrowth LV. X worth these days? Troll and Toad has Cresselia at $2.99, but she's also out of stock right now.

@Frost – No problem :3

Cresselia Lv. X has been mentioned before, though the range can be anywhere in between $5 - $30; I find it averages between $5 - $15, and it is fairly easy to find $5 ones these days. T&T does have cheaper prices on the majority of their inventory, so I would keep an eye out for it. I would exercise caution, however – depending on where you live, T&T shipping prices can be very high.

Tangrowth Lv. X has also been mentioned, though it is slightly cheaper nowadays, ranging between $8 - $15.

Thank you again! I did see the LV. X cards listed before, but I don't know much about how often prices change as more sets come out, other sets are rotated out (in Cresselia LV. X's case) and what not. Personally, I managed to get Cresselia for $3.15 + $1 shipping and Tangrowth for ~$5 on eBay.

Do prices for really popular competitive cards usually come down a lot after they get rotated out? I noticed that GE Claydol plummeted after GE was phased out, but I don't know if that was more because it was a league promo.

I mainly ask this because I love HGSS Jumpluff's artwork, but they're really expensive right now and I'll probably have to wait until HGSS is rotated out in a year or two before I can get one for a lower price.

Frost said:
Do prices for really popular competitive cards usually come down a lot after they get rotated out?

It depends. In the majority of cases, yes. Rotated sets and cards (including promotionals) no longer have serious play value, so they're not actively sought after by players. However, a card could have collecting value depending on how rare it is. Sometimes, the prices go down after the initial hype is over (e.g. Lost World, CoL 81/95). Yeah, HGSS Jumpluff is good. The cheapest ones out there are roughly $6 (not including shipping costs), though they are far and few in between. Nevertheless, I would keep an eye out for it. I'm sure there will be a window of opportunity :3

A Shadowless Charizard. Some light scratches on foil, slight edge wear and just some normal card wear. I'd say excellent condition.

@dolphinluv2010 - Shadowless Charizard was briefly mentioned here. A [Poor/Fair/Played] Shadowless Charizard goes for ≈ $30. [Excellent Condition] Shadowless Charizard is a plausible $40 - $50. [Near Mint - Mint] Shadowless Charizard is anywhere in between $50 - $70.

Back