How to Build a Cradily Deck (Future-Cast)

Regirocket

Poor College Student
How to build a Cradily deck, the Regirocket way: (Edit 1: added translations for unreleased cards)
Grab a cup of coffee; this is going to take a while.
You need to pick what kind of stage 2 deck you want to play. The “common” types are energy acceleration decks, and low energy decks.
- Energy engines:

o Attaching multiple Energy per turn

 Emboar for fire, Blastoise for Water

o Multiplying energy

 Gardevoir

o Moving energy

 Klinklang for dragons, Hydreigon for dark

After deciding on an engine, it’s time for some attackers. Luckily, there are TONS of stage 2 attackers to choose from in this format, so picking one or two to match with an engine is all down to preference. I’ve listed some possibilities below that seem to match up well.
- Multi-attach

o Emboar

 Infernape (PLS)
 Emboar (Theme deck)
 Hydreigon (NVI)
 Blaziken (DEX)
 Charizard (BCR)
 Gallade (PLS)
 Vanniluxe (PFR (if we get it))

o Blastoise

 Samurott (B/W)
 Gallade (PLS)
 Vanniluxe (PFR (if we get it))
 Hydreigon (NVI)
 Vanniluxe (NXD)
 Vanniluxe (PLS)
 Empoleon (DEX)
 Ludicolo (PLS)

- Energy multiplication

o Gardevoir

 Gallade (PLS)
 Crobat (PLS)
 Scolipede (BCR)
 Chandelure (NVI)
 Gothitelle (EPO)

- Moving energy

o Klinklang

 Klinklang (EPO)
 Luxray (NXD)
 Empoleon (DEX)
 Garchomp (DRX)
 Togekiss (PLS)
 Kingdra (PLF)
 Haxorus (BW9)
 Gallade (PLS)

o Hydreigon

 Hydreigon (NVI)
 Krookodile (DEX)
 Gallade (PLS)
 Beedrill (PLF)
It’s important to keep in mind that with each engine, you will only need 1 or 2 different types of Pokémon for attackers, due to bench space. This makes a lot of variety in deck lists, as far as attackers go, which should be great for our currently-bland format!
Unfortunately for that whole variety thing, I have some bad news. THIS DECK HAS ONE STARTER. And that lovely creature is Virizion EX. Virizion EX gives this deck too much goodness to ignore. Even though its attack only does 50 damage for 1 grass energy and 1 colorless energy, it allows you to search your deck for up to 2 grass energies and attach them to one of your benched Pokémon. It also bears an ability that makes it so any and all of your Pokémon are immune to status conditions, as long as they have a grass energy attached to them. No more lasers!
A lot of the rest of this list is pretty similar throughout the different varieties, with only minor tweaks to fit the engine and attackers. Below is a skeleton, which of course can be modified, that I believe suits this deck well, as it gives you the most consistent way to get a Cradily by turn two, without sacrificing the power of the stage 2s.
Pokémon:
3 Virizion EX – having 3 gives you decent chances of not having a mulligan.
4-3 Cradily – Cradily is not difficult to pull out of the deck, but Lileep can be weird.
1 or 2 Magnezone – A must for Cradily, Magnezone allows you to play 2 supporters per turn, which helps make up time after setting up with Virizion EX and Cradily for the first few turns.
2 or 3 ((Insert Engine Pokémon Here))
Up to 3 ((Insert Attacking Pokémon Here)) – Variety welcome here, even three 1-ofs.
Trainers:
2 Caitlin – Lets you put Lileep as well as stage 2 Pokémon from your hand back into your deck, on the bottom.
3 Juniper - Need that draw support (thanks Blah)
4 N – This card needs no explanation.
3 Skyla – Neither does this card.
4 Pokémon Catcher – Or this one.
1 Computer Search – Being able to discard a Lileep, in search of a Cradily or root fossil is stupid good.
2 Ultra Ball – Similar to Computer Search, only restricted to searching for Cradily.
3 Pokémon Communication – This card is REQUIRED for Cradily, as it is inevitable that you will draw into one of your stage 2 Pokémon, and with it in your hand, it is completely useless.
4 Root Fossil – The only way, aside from Twist Mountain, of getting a Lileep into play.
2 Cilan/Energy Search – Cilan is used for acceleration variant, Energy Search for all others.
3 Switch – Your opponent’s Catchers will hurt a lot without them.
Energy:
As a bare minimum, you need 3 Grass energy to run this deck, but that’s just silly. Keep the Grass energy from 6-9, and fill the rest of the space in the deck with your specific energy.
6-9 Grass Energy
Assuming you use only the minimum card copies in the skeleton above, that leaves 7 slots in the deck to play around with, using energy, and maybe some specific Trainer you need on top of the others. I may have exaggerated slightly with the Communications, but make sure to keep at least 1. There will be games when you will have a hand full of stage 2s, but nothing to do with them, other than to look pretty. Don’t let that happen to you.
I would also like to point out that what I covered here is in no way the extent of Cradily’s reach. There is a possible deck out there for almost all of the stage 2 Pokémon, but that’s up to you to decide. My job here was to open your eyes to how Cradily should be manipulated, to produce a competitive deck.
Thanks for taking all of this time to read about this deck, and I hope you’re as excited to play a real version of this deck as I am! Brownie points for all of those who actually read all of this.

Lileep – Grass – HP80
Restored – Put this card onto your Bench only with the effect of Root Fossil

Ability: Call of the Ancient
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this card is in your discard pile, you may place it on the bottom of your deck.

[G][C] Spiral Drain: 20 damage. Heal 10 damage from this Pokemon.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Water (-20)
Retreat: 2

Cradily – Grass – HP120
Stage 1 – Evolves from Lileep

[G] Life Explosion: For each Energy attached to this Pokemon, search your deck for a Stage 2 Pokemon and put it onto your Bench. Shuffle your deck afterwards.
[G][C] Spiral Drain: 60 damage. Heal 20 damage from this Pokemon.

Virizion-EX – Grass – HP170
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Spring Breeze
Pokemon with [G] Energy attached to them cannot be affected by Special Conditions. (Remove all Special Conditions from your Pokemon with [G] Energy attached to them.)

[G][C] Emerald Slash: 50 damage. You can attach 2 [G] Energy from your deck to one of your Benched Pokemon. If you do, shuffle your deck afterwards.

When Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Retreat: 1

Root Fossil – Trainer
Item

Look at the bottom 7 cards of your deck. You may reveal a Lileep you find there and put it onto your Bench. Shuffle the other cards back into your deck.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).

Caitlin – Trainer
Supporter

Return any number of cards from your hand to the bottom of your deck in any order you like. Then, draw an equal number of cards.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Kingdra – Dragon – HP140
Stage 2 – Evolves from Seadra

[C] Twister: 20x damage. Shuffle all [W] and [L] Energy from your discard pile into your deck. This attack does 20 damage times the number of cards shuffled back in this way.
[W] Tri Bullet: This attack does 30 damage to 3 of your opponent’s Pokemon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon.)

Weakness: Dragon (x2)
Resistance: none

Beedrill – Grass – HP120
Stage 2 – Evolves from Kakuna

[G] Hustle Spear: 20+ damage. If this Pokemon has no damage counters on it, this attack does 40 more damage, and the Defending Pokemon is now Confused and Poisoned.
[C][C][C] Pierce: 60 damage.

Retreat: 0

Vanilluxe – Water – HP130
Stage 2 (Team Plasma) – Evolves from Vanillish

[C] Snowball MAX: 60x damage. Flip a coin for each Energy attached to this Pokemon. This attack does 60 damage times the number of heads.
[W][C] Cold Breath: 40 damage. The Defending Pokemon is now Asleep.

Weakness: Metal (x2)

Haxorus – Dragon – HP140
Stage 2 – Evolves from Fraxure

[M] Dragon Axe: 40x damage. This attack does 40 damage times the number of [M] Energy attached to this Pokemon.
[F][M] Master Blow: If the Defending Pokemon is a Team Plasma Pokemon, it is Knocked Out.

Weakness: Dragon (x2)

Great walkthrough! It seemed like you really ran the gamut on the Cradily Deck as if you were talking straight to a novice. I know too little about this specific Deck, so I can't offer any real critique.

It sure would be nice to have some translations/scans for unreleased/uncommon cards...

Anyways, seems like a nice article!

I'd probably do something like this. Feel free to judge; I haven't tested this yet nor do I plan to, but theorymoning this deck is fun, and I have a keen Ability for throwing together amazing lists:

Pokemon (16)
3 Virizion EX
3 Cradily
3 Lileep
1 Eelektross NV
1 Empoleon
1 Gallade
1 Garchomp
1 Haxorus MC
1 Klinklang BW
1 Keldeo EX

Trainers (31)
4 N
3 Juniper
3 Skyla
2 Colress
2 Caitlyn
4 Ultra Ball
3 Pokemon Catcher
3 Root Fossil
2 Float Stone
2 Max Potion
1 Energy Search
1 Scramble Switch
1 Super Rod

Energy (13)
4 Blend WLFM
4 Grass
3 Metal
1 Water
1 Lightning

In theory it's good at hiting for Weakness. It needs a Fighting type to hit for Weakness. I chose Scramble Switch over Computer Search because you can fill your Bench completely by Scramble Switching into Cradily. In hind sight, it should probably just be a one of Energy Switch and still go with Computer Search as the Ace Spec.

Mora said:
I'd probably do something like this. Feel free to judge; I haven't tested this yet nor do I plan to, but theorymoning this deck is fun, and I have a keen Ability for throwing together amazing lists:

Pokemon (16)
3 Virizion EX
3 Cradily
3 Lileep
1 Eelektross NV
1 Empoleon
1 Gallade
1 Garchomp
1 Haxorus MC
1 Klinklang BW
1 Keldeo EX

Trainers (31)
4 N
3 Juniper
3 Skyla
2 Colress
2 Caitlyn
4 Ultra Ball
3 Pokemon Catcher
3 Root Fossil
2 Float Stone
2 Max Potion
1 Energy Search
1 Scramble Switch
1 Super Rod

Energy (13)
4 Blend WLFM
4 Grass
3 Metal
1 Water
1 Lightning

In theory it's good at hiting for Weakness. It needs a Fighting type to hit for Weakness. I chose Scramble Switch over Computer Search because you can fill your Bench completely by Scramble Switching into Cradily. In hind sight, it should probably just be a one of Energy Switch and still go with Computer Search as the Ace Spec.

Thank you for bringing up a point I forgot to mention in the first post, which is that Caitlin completely out-classes Juniper in this deck. The only card you really ever want in your discard pile is Lileep. You cry if you have to discard one of your unique energies, you cry if you have to discard one (or more! D: ) of your stage 2s, and most of the Trainers you want in your hand or deck, so you can still play them. So the first thing I would do is:
-3 Juniper
+2 Caitlin
+1 Klinklang

After that, If Keldeo EX is in there mainly to Rush In and Retreat for free with Float Stone, I would say ditch it for a Vanniluxe (NXD) or some switches. Lone starting with Keldeo will make things very hard from the get go.
-1 Keldeo EX
-2 Float Stone
+1 Vanniluxe (NXD)
+2 Pokemon Communication

I think 4 Ultra Ball is kind of a lot, so lowering it could help you do what you suggested yourself, in switching Scramble Switch to Computer Search, and adding an Energy Switch.
-1 Ultra Ball
-1 Scramble Switch
+1 Energy Switch
+1 Computer Search

As for a fighting type attacker, there isn't really an amazing one of those this format... but there are some interesting ones. Krookodile (B/W) can go in after a few hit from someone else and sweep a board pretty easily, and Conkeldurr (EPO) has an attack that, even though it's flippy, averages 90 damage. If you do find a stage 2 fighter you like, I think the best place to swap it in would be for Garchomp, since you already have Haxorus, who works better with Klinklang.
-1 Garchomp
+1 Stage 2 Fighting type.

I hope I wasn't too nit-picky, but I wanted to cover all the bases. ^^;

I disagree with the Juniper point. Juniper isn't outclassed by anything, ever. Even current decks like Klinklang that HATE discarding still run 3-4 Juniper just because it's so good. Catilin is very inconsistent because if you draw it with a low hand, it does nothing. You need supporters to be consistent because, well, the whole point of them being there is for consistency. It's the same reason why Colress isn't used as more than a two-of this format.

Blah said:
I disagree with the Juniper point. Juniper isn't outclassed by anything, ever. Even current decks like Klinklang that HATE discarding still run 3-4 Juniper just because it's so good. Catilin is very inconsistent because if you draw it with a low hand, it does nothing. You need supporters to be consistent because, well, the whole point of them being there is for consistency. It's the same reason why Colress isn't used as more than a two-of this format.

OH GOD I READ CAITLIN WRONG... thanks for catching that. Alright then, that changes a few things.

Regirocket said:
After that, If Keldeo EX is in there mainly to Rush In and Retreat for free with Float Stone, I would say ditch it for a Vanniluxe (NXD) or some switches. Lone starting with Keldeo will make things very hard from the get go.
-1 Keldeo EX
-2 Float Stone
+1 Vanniluxe (NXD)
+2 Pokemon Communication

Yeah, I forget about those "bad" Stage 2's, but I don't really want to run Pokemon Communication. It's not that necessary to shuffle back other Pokemon because you have N and Caitlyn to put Stage 2's back into the deck, but this definitively does free up some space.

Regirocket said:
As for a fighting type attacker, there isn't really an amazing one of those this format... but there are some interesting ones. Krookodile (B/W) can go in after a few hit from someone else and sweep a board pretty easily, and Conkeldurr (EPO) has an attack that, even though it's flippy, averages 90 damage. If you do find a stage 2 fighter you like, I think the best place to swap it in would be for Garchomp, since you already have Haxorus, who works better with Klinklang.
-1 Garchomp
+1 Stage 2 Fighting type.

I feel that Haxorus and Garchomp play separate roles. Haxorus is mainly a Team Plasma counter; it can do real damage, but I like the theme of low energy, high damage output attacks. I'm going to want to hold onto my energies on the field, and if I want to do significant damage with Haxorus, I can't do that. Garchomp (along with Empoleon) can hold the field with a single energy while I build up my energy count on the field to be moved around to fill Colorless attack costs with Klinklang. And of course, discarding Special Energies is always nice and, in the format this deck will be played in, is highly relevant to the meta.

I changed my list:

Pokemon (17)
3 Virizion EX
3 Cradily
3 Lileep
1 Eelektross NV
1 Empoleon
1 Gallade
1 Garchomp
1 Haxorus MC
1 Klinklang BW
1 Krookodile EP
1 Vanilluxe ND

Trainers (30)
4 N
3 Juniper
3 Skyla
2 Colress
2 Caitlyn
4 Ultra Ball
3 Pokemon Catcher
3 Root Fossil
2 Max Potion
1 Computer Search
1 Energy Search
1 Energy Switch
1 Super Rod

Energy (13)
4 Blend WLFM
4 Grass
3 Metal
1 Water
1 Fighting

I still like the idea of Salamence + Magnezone + Hooligans + Haxorus + Garchomp + Ghetsis.

I could see that being a complete pain to fight against with your opponent having a small hand and Haxorus absolutely destroying every Plasma Pokemon which will give you a huge up against Thundurus/Deoxys, while Garchomp or possibly Empoleon can be your attackers. Despite everything I think gold potion would work great here too.

Mora said:
I feel that Haxorus and Garchomp play separate roles. Haxorus is mainly a Team Plasma counter; it can do real damage, but I like the theme of low energy, high damage output attacks. I'm going to want to hold onto my energies on the field, and if I want to do significant damage with Haxorus, I can't do that. Garchomp (along with Empoleon) can hold the field with a single energy while I build up my energy count on the field to be moved around to fill Colorless attack costs with Klinklang. And of course, discarding Special Energies is always nice and, in the format this deck will be played in, is highly relevant to the meta.

I changed my list:

Pokemon (17)
3 Virizion EX
3 Cradily
3 Lileep
1 Eelektross NV
1 Empoleon
1 Gallade
1 Garchomp
1 Haxorus MC
1 Klinklang BW
1 Krookodile EP
1 Vanilluxe ND

Trainers (30)
4 N
3 Juniper
3 Skyla
2 Colress
2 Caitlyn
4 Ultra Ball
3 Pokemon Catcher
3 Root Fossil
2 Max Potion
1 Computer Search
1 Energy Search
1 Energy Switch
1 Super Rod

Energy (13)
4 Blend WLFM
4 Grass
3 Metal
1 Water
1 Fighting

I definitely agree with Garchomp and Haxorus wearing different shoes, I think I just read too much into hitting for weakness. I was looking at each attacker as a defined counter to a specific card in the meta, when that isn't really the right way to look at them. they all have niche roles, while inter-mingling with each other quite well. And as for Communications, I only stress them so much because I can just imagine dead-handing a bunch of attackers and having nothing to do with them, but I suppose only time will tell if they're necessary, or if N, and Caitlin will be enough to get them out of the hand and onto the bench.

Yeah I feel that Cradily would do better having a support like Salamence + hooligans that can cripple your opponents hand than trying to do a rainbow of attackers. Streaming attackers against big basics is tough to do, but if you can create a semi-lock while low energy attacking that would be ideal.

I'm sure you could at least hit Landorus for 90 * 2 with Empoleon or Tornadus for 90 * 2 with Eelektross. That's kind of the direction I would take it, but it is a Toolbox. You can do what ever you want with it; you could post a Salemance/Magnezone/Hooligans list.

The only probablem I see this deck having (aside from serious set up issues) is running out of attackers. You might have to use Cradily a second time during the game, which would be just lovely.

Mora said:
I'm sure you could at least hit Landorus for 90 * 2 with Empoleon or Tornadus for 90 * 2 with Eelektross. That's kind of the direction I would take it, but it is a Toolbox. You can do what ever you want with it; you could post a Salemance/Magnezone/Hooligans list.

The only probablem I see this deck having (aside from serious set up issues) is running out of attackers. You might have to use Cradily a second time during the game, which would be just lovely.

I agree, I have that feeling that Cradily would have to be used a second time unfortunately...maybe you could get around it though and try to bring in mewtwo or tornadus to finish instead of sending cradily out again...it's definitely not a straightforward deck to run.

The issue with using any basic pokemon other than the Virizion EX used for set up is that since this deck has such a tiny number of basic pokemon, your chances are too high of missing the Virizion EX, which is a wonderful lead for this deck, since it brings energy acceleration, some modest damage, and status immunity, running any other basics just seems like too big of a risk. But I do certainly agree with the point that this deck is an odd one. That's part of why I made this thread. :b

On a side note, I would love to see any potential Cradily decks posted in here, so everyone can get an even better understanding of what might work well.

I think I'll definitely build this; my friend is trying to get together some fun tournament where you're assigned a fun deck to play, and if that ever does happen, it'll probably be us who builds the decks.

The thing is you don't want to start with it. I would stick with Blaziken or Charizard or Infernape. I think those are the only decent Stage 2 attackers that run off of Fire Energy. I don't think the energy acceleration varriants are very useful since it limits it to a single type, and all your attackers basically do the same thing, so you might as well just use Reshiboar.

cradily will need colourless or grass attackers imo. you want to get emerald slash off as early as possible, meaning predominantly grass energy. etherdex or colress machine/plasma badge may be needed to get the t1 attack off.

the stage 2's you pull out need to give the deck big advantages, otherwise you may as well have setup the stage 2 line instead of cradily.
once they are up, you have to protect them from catcher too.

my idea is to pair cradily with serperior, reunculus, and togekiss.

with 1 serperior and 1 reunculus, you can wipe off 120 damage a turn with a full bench. 2 serperiors and you are wiping off 240. have togekiss up front with a giant cape and aspertia city gym, and only ohko's on togekiss will take the deck down. have genesect and virizion as alternative attackers.

4 virizion ex
1 genesect ex
3-3 cradily
2 reunculus
2 serperior
2 togekiss

4 fossil
2 catcher
4 pokedex
4 ether
4 ultraball
2 giant cape
2 aspertia gym

10 supporters and ace spec (low but hopefully pokedex helps out)

10 grass energy

Back