How to play Mewbox?

mawliekid

Like A Boss
So I get that you use Mew to throw a pokemon into the lost zone T1, and then attack T2, but I'm not getting which pokemon to send, or how a pokemon with 60 HP would stay alive for any amount of time. And how many pokemon do you usually throw into the lost zone overall?

I assume its KO'ed by most things in the game, so using things like Reuniclus or Serperior seems pointless, since it wouldn't have damage, it would just be KO'ed. And I don't see how your opponents wouldn't have a constant prize lead.

Also, I wanna know if Lucario (Dimensional Sphere) is a good tech for the deck since it gets a boost for the pokemon you saw off with Mew

It's impossible to explain properly in one post. You really just have to go and play the deck. Against Reshiphlosion and Magnezone, Aipom is basically the only thing keeping you in the game, but if you pull off the Aipom lock you basically win.

Against Gothitelle, you Lost Zone Jumpluff. Against everything else you really only need Muk. You shouldn't be running any other cards to LZ.

Stage 1 rush is hard; usually it's best just to go aggro Yanmega and drag a Donphan if the opportunity presents itself.

Zekrom is basically auto-loss.

Against Magneboar and the other slower decks, Jirachi is really important - de-evolve whatever you can.and Sludge Drag Emboar when you can, otherwise try to drag a Magnezone. Just clean up with Yanmega. These matchups really depend on what they setup; you have to improvise a lot.

Against the other Vileplume decks, just keep on dragging Reuniclus out and eventually you'll kill it when they run out of DCE. You have to watch how far you go down on prizes though, because they can still attack after it's gone. Don't bother setting up Vileplume and take whatever cheap prizes present themselves with Yanmega. It depends on the attackers they're running too. You can tech a single Catcher for this matchup because generally Vileplume never comes out but it's pretty much useless against everything else.

In mirror, I like to go aggro Yanmega and not even Lost Zone anything. Don't set up Vileplume and generally it's best to not take the prize lead and try to bait them by benching Sunkern. If you can get out Sunflora, do so. If they ever LZ anything, you'll usually end up using your own Mew to use that attack before them.

Mewbox is a toolbox deck. You get whatever pokemon is best for the match up. If you are worried about your Mews getting killed after you See Off, you could just use Relicanth and Pokemon Communication instead. Get out a Vilelplume ASAP, (not in the Lost Zone, on the field), lock out their trainers so things like Muk live up to their full potential. For doing large amounts of damage, Jumpluff is the best option. I have no idea where you are getting the idea of healing your mews, Serperior is awful this format, and when Mew is killed, it is OHKO'd. Jumpluff can reduce damage done to you by 30, and Umbreon can make things like Donphan not be able to hit you back. Evolite will make it even better. The point is, when they KO you, you bring up another mew and KO them back.

Edit: I guess I should put Aipom in my list, even though it seems stupid.

Ok, what i dont get is how do i get the chance to See Off more than one pokemon, and if this deck needs to attack T2, how could you use anything to help set up.
Also, is Relicanth a bad card in this deck? I understand that it shouldn't be used to set up, unless i cannot set up Mew, but could it be used later?

If you're using mew to lost zone, you need to pick your card very carefully because you shouldn't lost zone more than one pokemon with mew. But if you're using relicanth, you lost zone as many things as you can before that first relicanth dies.

As for what pokemon to use, I think Muk is pretty useless nowadays. 4 catcher + 4 Junk arm will let you switch them, and still attack for decent damage. As for the pokemon, I think the deck should use Jumpluff primarily and try to knock out somthing turn 2-7. Pick off whatever is the easiest target. You can assume a minimum of 80 damage with jumpluff which will kill off just about anything that isn't fully evolved. The only other attack I ever need is severe poison on Crobat Prime. Its a good donphan counter, and sort of works against zekrom/resharim.

Other than that, focus on consistencey. I try to make sure I can lost zone with mew on turn 1 no matter what. So every basic in the deck has a free retreat.

About using Aipom and Jirachi, how do you expect to run them without losing consistency with your Mewbox deck? You can only run so much out of 60 cards. I remember when I was teching a Tornadus to counter Donphan with a few DCE's and it didn't work out for me in other matchups which hurt my consistency quite a bit. If you're not going up against Magnezone amid other things Aipom is going to be situational at best especially Jirachi. Aipom can be countered by Donphan especially If they attach another Fighting energy to it after you Tail Code their other energy. I feel that Jirachi is usally better than Aipom in most cases but I could be wrong though.

I've tried Crobat Prime as a tech to Lost Zone with Mew Prime, it's nice and all but really If you're running Muk as your replacement for Pokemon Catcher in the deck because of Vileplume then it's not needed especially when If you're not going Aggro with Mewbox and Yanmega Prime with just Jumpluff and no Plume, the main Pokemon you're going to Lost Zone are Muk, Jumpluff, and Leafeon cause Leafeon has amazing synergy with Muk's Sludge Drag. Yeah I'll Miasma Wind for 100 damage thank you. Soothing Scent makes for a nice 150 damage If you can pull it off but with Poison and Confusion damage it's almost not worth it. Attaching a Rainbow Energy to Roserade for Energy Signal is nice If you can get it off with Leafeon in the Lost Zone, Oh I can still Miasma Wind for 100 without having to Sludge Drag for my attack for that turn.

I don't really see a point in running Relicanth in the deck cause for one it takes up space in your deck for other cards and two you're wasting energy on something that could be well spent like a Mew Prime which can get a See Off T1 or T2 which is crucial for the deck. Getting 1 to 2 Oddish on T1 or T2 is crucial as well especially If you have that Collector in hand early game, get Jumpluff LZ'ed If you're going first or Muk If you go 2nd and start sweeping for prizes with a full bench. Not every MewBox deck is going to be running Vileplume but it helps tremendously. Oh and need I remind you, 2-3 Flower Shop Lady (Revive If not running Plume) is a MUST in this deck and I'll explain why.

I was testing my MewBox deck last Saturday to get ready for BR's, and realized that after I used up all my Mews I had 1 in my prizes and had no way of getting them back under Trainer Lock which is why Revive isn't used at all. So I was stuck attacking with Roserade which is mainly just a tech just like with Vileplume as well so I was stuck in a auto-loss. Flower Shop Lady helps you make that comeback you need, when you need it so that you can keep using Mew Prime as your main attacker and only attacker in that deck again. It's hard to run 3 in the deck due to card slot constraints so hopefully you won't have both Flower Shop Ladies in your prizes in most of the game. Almost makes me miss Azelf LA for Time Walk in this format, yet Rotom UD doesn't even cut it unfortunately.

Will someone tell me how Aipom helps against Reshiphlosion?

All I see is moving energy to a Reshiram or a Typhlo, which only helps them. Not to mention, afterburner + attach retreats everything in their deck.

megatron said:

All I see is moving energy to a Reshiram or a Typhlo, which only helps them. Not to mention, afterburner + attach retreats everything in their deck.

Reshiphlosion loves energy in the discard so they can attach it wherever you want. I'm assuming you would want to move the energy to a ninetales where it is basically stuck the entire match unless reshiphlosion sacrifices its ninetales.

Dark Void said:
Reshiphlosion loves energy in the discard so they can attach it wherever you want. I'm assuming you would want to move the energy to a ninetales where it is basically stuck the entire match unless reshiphlosion sacrifices its ninetales.

or if you knock out an active they send out ninetales to retreat it with the energy.

Eh, 1 energy in the discard isn't much considering a well-timed Aipom can put 5 or more on a Ninetales.

Dark Void said:
Eh, 1 energy in the discard isn't much considering a well-timed Aipom can put 5 or more on a Ninetales.

Really? I've never looked into the Aipom tech. How can it be that effective? If you can fill me in

I personally don't use an Aipom deck, my guess is that it would be much more effective against Reshiboar anyway. But eventually the Reshiphlosion player would get up a bunch of Typhlosions and be recovering energy faster than they are discarding it, so they stuff it on their active and becnhed Reshirams until they have a bunch. Then you slap down an aipom and they have almost no energy they can use because, ironically, in play is the only place where Reshiphlosion can't use energy.

megatron said:

You Jirachi all their Typhlosions except for one, Sludge Drag that one active and move whatever they attach off of it with Aipom. DCE hardly sees any play in the deck so it's a fairly safe play though not as safe as it is against Magnezone. Typhlosion can't afterburner if you Sludge Drag it. After you do this, they have no energy acceleration left and you basically are handed the game.

It's way to risky to drag Emboar up though, so the deck is lucky Reshiphlosion is more popular.

Card Slinger J said:
About using Aipom and Jirachi, how do you expect to run them without losing consistency with your Mewbox deck? You can only run so much out of 60 cards. I remember when I was teching a Tornadus to counter Donphan with a few DCE's and it didn't work out for me in other matchups which hurt my consistency quite a bit. If you're not going up against Magnezone amid other things Aipom is going to be situational at best especially Jirachi. Aipom can be countered by Donphan especially If they attach another Fighting energy to it after you Tail Code their other energy. I feel that Jirachi is usally better than Aipom in most cases but I could be wrong though.

Two Basic cards that don't need more specific Energy requirements in the deck doesn't lose consistency. Jirachi can use the Psychic Energies in the deck and Rainbow and Aipom can use any. Aipom is best used for the MegaZone matchup, but it could be worth running if that's in your metagame.

dmaster out.

Depends on the deck. You usually See Off Muk or Jumpluff T1 depending on the match up. Once you start to stall with Sludge Drag, you get Vileplume and Yanmega set up. Vileplume ensures that they don't Switch or Communicate to evolve out of the lock. Yanmega is to snipe the bench while they are stuck in the active position. Sometimes you don't want to do it this way, such as when you play against Stage 1. In that match up you just See Off Jumpluff and dish out a bunch of damage before they get set up.

Ok, just read everything about the Aipom Tech, and i don't get it. How does wasting a turn to move a single energy work as a counter agianst energy acceleration decks? Reshiphlosion can recover any energy they discarded with RR, and Emboar just drops energies like there is no tomorrow. And i dont see how its a good match up against Magnezone who attacks based on all the energy in play, unless you move their Lightning energy and they dont have another, but i would rather assume they have it, and even if they dont they could switch or retreat into Yanmega and KO my Mew

You can also play spinarak van HGSS instead of aipom.
Which has a bigger chance to succes, but doesnt prevent your opponent van attacking.

mawliekid said:
Ok, just read everything about the Aipom Tech, and i don't get it. How does wasting a turn to move a single energy work as a counter agianst energy acceleration decks? Reshiphlosion can recover any energy they discarded with RR, and Emboar just drops energies like there is no tomorrow. And i don't see how its a good match up against Magnezone who attacks based on all the energy in play, unless you move their Lightning energy and they don't have another, but i would rather assume they have it, and even if they don't they could switch or retreat into Yanmega and KO my Mew
Well then all I can tell you is play the matchup. Point is that if you move off Magnezone's only energy, they can't attack the next turn. Even if they attach an energy. And I don't know what in the world RR stands for, but as I said before if you Sludge Drag a lone Typhlosion all they can do is attach from their hand. Basically the idea behind the card is to give Yanmega 3-4 turns of free sniping while ultimately getting you a free prize on a key Pokemnon in their deck.

I already said it's an unsafe play against Emboar.

No, Roast Reveal.

Sorry, I was posting through my Iphone, didn't feel like typing it out.

But Im still lost on the Reshiphlosion match up. How does Tail Code stop it. I can kinda see it like this:
Tail code energy away
repeat
repeat
repeat
repeat
repeat

If you sludge drag, they keep taking twenty by my next turn, but that still takes 6 turns to KO and I'm sure they would have drawn a DCE or something

Back