How to Represent the Flying Type in the TCG

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
I want the flying type to be its own type in the card game so that way Pokemon that are birds and or flying type can hit for weakness in the TCG. A lot of people don't want this to happen despite Dragon being separated from the Colorless type and people saying the same thing back then but if this isn't going to happen, why not use what currently exist?

Ho-Oh EX is currently a colorless type in the TCG, which does it no favors at all. The bird isn't a Normal type but is still represented at such in the TCG. What we could do is make some Pokemon that are flying weak in the game. Some fighting type Pokemon like Machamp would now be weak to colorless rather than psychic. Some grass types could also be weak to colorless as well now.

Articuno for example isn't weak to Grass or Lightning, it weak to metal, which is what Ice type Pokemon are weak to despite it being Water in the TCG. It will give life to flying types who have no type advantages whatsoever.

I know what you're saying right now. "Why does Zangoose hit Machamp for weakness now, its not a flying type". Well this is part of the argument as to why I wanted a flying type in the TCG. Ho-Oh EX isn't a normal type but its grouped with them because its part flying, which should have nothing to do with the colorless type. The lessor of two evils is Zangoose can hit a machamp for weakness. Pokemon used to have a colorless weakness, though they were dragons, but lets bring it back!

If Flying was spun off into its own type, Colorless would lose its only source of weakness diversity. That is a huge deal IMO. (Incidentally, Flying provides the only weakness diversity for Darkness, Grass, Fire and Lightning also.) And unlike with a type like Water, which can have both Lightning and Grass weaknesses (and even has Ice to provide Metal weaknesses), Normal is ONLY weak to Fighting. So aside from the scarce few non-Flying Dual-type Normals, every single Colorless Pokemon would be weak to the same type. I guess it could be solved by continuing to make Colorless Normal/Flying-types, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a Flying type. (And, honestly, most non-Normal Flyings would likely continue to mostly be their primary type rather than Flying even if Flying was a type.)

The only positive I really see for this is giving Grass (one of the largest types) a major weakness diversity, since they could logically shift Bug's weakness to Flying instead of sharing a Fire one with Grass. But it's honestly in less need of it than Colorless. Fire's an inherently small type. Fighting is larger, and also hits more things for weakness than Fire does in the first place.

The proper way to make Flying more relevant would probably be to give either Flyings themselves (probably for Fighting-resistant Pokemon like they've done a couple of times in the past) or Colorless Pokemon more support, along the lines of what they've done with Dragon, which also doesn't hit anything for weakness.

If you just have to have every type in the video games appear in the TCG, it has to be such that you have 1 to 3 types share the same energy type.

A rock, ground, and fighting type can be represented by different shades of orange and brown, or bug and grass can be represented by green and olive green or something. Nothing has changed, except for the fact that the bug and grass types look different, but still both use grass energy. Another way is to do it like metal type, and how it has the diagonal lines pattern, and make specific patterns in the green background of grass types to represent bug types.

We don't want to have a situation where there are too many types that use their own energies, but too little cards to represent them. I would also like to see some video game types moved around and grouped into different TCG types, because some TCG types that use specific energies are more represented than others. Examples of over representation would be grass psychic and fighting. Examples of under representation would be fire, lightning, darkness, metal, and fairy, which makes me believe making fairy its own type with its own energy was a mistake.

If they did represent all the VG types into the TCG, it would be weird to see a grass type have the bug, fire, poison, and flying symbols as weakness, which is probably why we only have 11 types in total.

Last edited:
We don't want to have a situation where there are too many types that use their own energies, but too little cards to represent them.

I am going to group steam siege cards based on video game types.

If a pokemon is a grass/water pokemon, and it is represented as a green card, we'll just call it a grass pokemon. If it is a dual grass/water pokemon, we'll represent it as the type in which the collectors number is grouped with.

Ok, for steam siege:

10 grass
5 bug
11 fire
9 water
2 ice
5 electric
1 psychic
5 ghost
3 poison
4 fighting
0 ground
4 rock
7 dark
9 steel
7 fairy
5 dragon
4 normal
6 flying

If we equalized the number of cards per type, that means for this set, it would be 5 cards per type. 5 cards ain't a whole lot. Now if we had 9 types in the TCG, there would be 10 cards. 6 types, 16 cards. I would also like to see them change it up a bit so that each TCG type is represented by 2 VG types. What is the difference between a fighting type with grass weakness and metal type with grass weakness? Other than one can hit dark types, and one can hit ice subset of water types, that is the only difference. I don't think it would change much if rock types went to metal.

Psychics can be represented by psychic with weakness to darkness
Poison can be represented by psychic with weakness to psychic
Ghost can be represented by darkness with weakness to darkness
Dark can be represented by darkness with weakness to fighting

This is pure genius.
TCG psychic weak against darkness which includes ghost and dark, in which they are weak against in the VG.
TCG poison weak against psychic in which they are weak against psychic in the VG.
TCG dark weak against fighting in which they are weak against fighting in the VG.
TCG ghost weak against darkness, which is represented by dark and ghost, in which they are weak against in the VG.

Moving ghost to darkness in the TCG is the most logical answer. Not only will it equalize representation of TCG types per VG type, it would also make it so that a psychic type won't have weakness against a ghost or poison type, when it should be the other way around.

Fire type and Lightning type could have combined into 1 type, or maybe not, as it would be some overpowered supertype in which too many types would be weak to it.

They could make bug weak against colorless, if you know what I mean haha. I don't think with modern cards, anything is weak to colorless, which is probably by design anyway, considering how versatile colorless is. I also don't like how they introduced the fairy type. Only dragon is allowed to be weak against dragon. Now they made a type that requires one type of energy strong against a type that uses 2 or more types of energies, and the type that is strong against fairy doesn't have enough cards released per set anyway.

Last edited:
Odd tried to quote PMJ's quote of a quote but it seems to have failed... refer to that above

This: we already have this problem. There are several sets that have types with VERY little representation sometimes only one or two cards for the entire type. Heck even Dark and Steel when they brought them to the TCG didn't have basic energy until what Gen Four? They even knew then it would be rough the more basic energy types they had in.

I think how they have flying types is fine right now: the lightning weakness with the fighting resistance is fine and can give some types a weakness diversity needed because mono-weakness is not something I like about some types.

Nothing should be weak to Colorless as it is meant to be a generic type that's splash good and also I've come to terms the same for Dragons: which is great for a multi type energy cost Pokemon which they could make a little stronger to justify those multi-type attacks. Originally I didn't like the shift for gen 6 cards but I realized it was for the better. Still not a big fan of so many Psychic Pokemon still weak to Psychic it could ge dicey if they make a similar mistake like they did with Next Destinies. They seemed to learned that from what Mewtwo Y does.

How to balance the Flying-type, and the TCG in general:

Step 1: Don't fix what isn't broken.

Step 2: Put the game designers to work on things that really matter, such as correcting for power creep and fixing the balance of power between EXs and Evolutions.

~SS

Let us define flying as fighting resistant and lightning weakness.

Flying in the TCG is a weird type. I wouldn't say that flying is grouped into colorless, but more like flying is spread across every single type, except maybe dragon. If a pokemon is flying and psychic, and has features that would make it look like a flying type, like bird features for example, then no matter what other type it has, it is treated as flying in the TCG when it comes to weakness and resistance, but would still have the psychic purple card frame.

The best example is Yveltal. What are darkness types in the TCG are supposed to be weak against normally? Fighting. What is Yveltal weak against? Lightning. Why? Because Yveltal is Primarily Dark, Secondary Flying. The fact that Yveltal is Flying overrides the fact that Yveltal is Dark in the TCG when it comes to weakness and resistance. Yveltal still has the darkness black frame and still uses darkness energies. In most cases of a Pokemon that obviously looks like it has wings, it would have lightning weakness and fighting resistance.

Flying isn't represented in the TCG because in the video games, only Tornadus is a pure flying type, and Noibat and Noivern is the only pokemon that is primarily flying. The rest of them are secondarily flying.

The fact that flying is a secondary type is shown through the weaknesses and resistances, no matter what type they are in the TCG. It is very rare to see a pokemon that isn't dual type normal/flying or pure flying to be a colorless card in the TCG. Even if there is one pokemon that isn't normal/flying or pure flying, the number of colorless cards representing that pokemon is dwarfed by the non-colorless cards that represent that pokemon.

Here is one rule that should always be followed. No type shall ever be weak to colorless. Colorless's strength is that it can use any energy, but its weakness should be the fact that nothing is weak to it. I used to not be the case but adding dragon as a type fixed that. Here is another rule I wished they followed. Only dragon shall be weak against dragon. Too bad they screwed that up with the fairy type.

Zangoose being strong against Machamp never and will never happen because Machamp in the TCG is weak against Poison (4th generation onwards), Ghost, and Psychic, or just Psychic for short. The only thing I can see that doesn't make sense is ice being strong against fire, or poison being weak against poison. That's it. Other than that, the weaknesses and resistances are designed in such a way that it makes sense with the video games.

Steel is strong against rock, but weak against fighting and ground, all 3 of which is represnted by the fighting type in the TCG. How is weakness represented by the metal type in the TCG? Fire. It is always fire, as to not make it so that for some reason, a rock type is strong against a steel type. The only cards that have metal pokemon being weak to fighting pokemon is if it has dual fire and fighting weakness, or if that pokemon was a delta species. All metal pokemon have a weakness to fire. There is one non-delta species metal pokemon card that isn't weak to fire, but weak to lightning, and that is empoleon, because of empoleon also being water in the TCG, as well as skarmory, (see the whole flying overriding weakness and resistance that I mentioned above).

Last edited:
If Flying was spun off into its own type, Colorless would lose its only source of weakness diversity. That is a huge deal IMO. (Incidentally, Flying provides the only weakness diversity for Darkness, Grass, Fire and Lightning also.) And unlike with a type like Water, which can have both Lightning and Grass weaknesses (and even has Ice to provide Metal weaknesses), Normal is ONLY weak to Fighting. So aside from the scarce few non-Flying Dual-type Normals, every single Colorless Pokemon would be weak to the same type. I guess it could be solved by continuing to make Colorless Normal/Flying-types, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a Flying type. (And, honestly, most non-Normal Flyings would likely continue to mostly be their primary type rather than Flying even if Flying was a type.)

The only positive I really see for this is giving Grass (one of the largest types) a major weakness diversity, since they could logically shift Bug's weakness to Flying instead of sharing a Fire one with Grass. But it's honestly in less need of it than Colorless. Fire's an inherently small type. Fighting is larger, and also hits more things for weakness than Fire does in the first place.

The proper way to make Flying more relevant would probably be to give either Flyings themselves (probably for Fighting-resistant Pokemon like they've done a couple of times in the past) or Colorless Pokemon more support, along the lines of what they've done with Dragon, which also doesn't hit anything for weakness.

Sorry for taking so long to respond to these but I wanted to respond and cover some point. I'm not sure what you mean by flying provides weakness diversity so if you will, I'd like to know more by this. While its true that Normal is only weak to Fighting but so is Electric type, which is only represented by itself. Dragon is interesting because there are cards in format that are Dragon weak. The fairy inclusion kind of ruined thing because they have no resist in game right now so Dragon doesn't hit for weakness.

Doing it this way would at least let the flying type hit for weakness and relieve the weakness of some other types who are weak to Mewtwo.

If you just have to have every type in the video games appear in the TCG, it has to be such that you have 1 to 3 types share the same energy type.

A rock, ground, and fighting type can be represented by different shades of orange and brown, or bug and grass can be represented by green and olive green or something. Nothing has changed, except for the fact that the bug and grass types look different, but still both use grass energy. Another way is to do it like metal type, and how it has the diagonal lines pattern, and make specific patterns in the green background of grass types to represent bug types.

We don't want to have a situation where there are too many types that use their own energies, but too little cards to represent them. I would also like to see some video game types moved around and grouped into different TCG types, because some TCG types that use specific energies are more represented than others. Examples of over representation would be grass psychic and fighting. Examples of under representation would be fire, lightning, darkness, metal, and fairy, which makes me believe making fairy its own type with its own energy was a mistake.

If they did represent all the VG types into the TCG, it would be weird to see a grass type have the bug, fire, poison, and flying symbols as weakness, which is probably why we only have 11 types in total.

I'm not opposed to all types being represented. Dragon type is the most irreverent type to the TCG because the ONLY things weak to Dragon in both the game and TCG are Dragons. The flying type hits 3 types for weakness, two of which can be the same type (Grass/Bug) and Fighting. This is pretty significant to defensive typing. Fairy was only created to beat Dragon types. Fire doesn't even resist Fairy. For example, Fairy types are only weak to metal in the TCG but they also don't have a Psychic weakness considering they are neural to it in game and weak to Poison, which 'Psychic' also represents in the TCG.

As for multi-weakness Pokemon, this is something I would like to see return because it was something to balance the card. Take fighting for example. Any format Mewtwo EX is in, Fighting Pokemon and some Psychic type aren't used because how how powerful Mega Mewtwo EX is. Now imagine if Machamp EX, Lucario EX or Mega Gallade EX were weak to colorless/flying, It completely changes the dynamics of the meta and future card design. I do agree Fairy was a mistake.

Let us define flying as fighting resistant and lightning weakness.

Flying in the TCG is a weird type. I wouldn't say that flying is grouped into colorless, but more like flying is spread across every single type, except maybe dragon. If a pokemon is flying and psychic, and has features that would make it look like a flying type, like bird features for example, then no matter what other type it has, it is treated as flying in the TCG when it comes to weakness and resistance, but would still have the psychic purple card frame.

The best example is Yveltal. What are darkness types in the TCG are supposed to be weak against normally? Fighting. What is Yveltal weak against? Lightning. Why? Because Yveltal is Primarily Dark, Secondary Flying. The fact that Yveltal is Flying overrides the fact that Yveltal is Dark in the TCG when it comes to weakness and resistance. Yveltal still has the darkness black frame and still uses darkness energies. In most cases of a Pokemon that obviously looks like it has wings, it would have lightning weakness and fighting resistance.

Flying isn't represented in the TCG because in the video games, only Tornadus is a pure flying type, and Noibat and Noivern is the only pokemon that is primarily flying. The rest of them are secondarily flying.

The fact that flying is a secondary type is shown through the weaknesses and resistances, no matter what type they are in the TCG. It is very rare to see a pokemon that isn't dual type normal/flying or pure flying to be a colorless card in the TCG. Even if there is one pokemon that isn't normal/flying or pure flying, the number of colorless cards representing that pokemon is dwarfed by the non-colorless cards that represent that pokemon.

Here is one rule that should always be followed. No type shall ever be weak to colorless. Colorless's strength is that it can use any energy, but its weakness should be the fact that nothing is weak to it. I used to not be the case but adding dragon as a type fixed that. Here is another rule I wished they followed. Only dragon shall be weak against dragon. Too bad they screwed that up with the fairy type.

Zangoose being strong against Machamp never and will never happen because Machamp in the TCG is weak against Poison (4th generation onwards), Ghost, and Psychic, or just Psychic for short. The only thing I can see that doesn't make sense is ice being strong against fire, or poison being weak against poison. That's it. Other than that, the weaknesses and resistances are designed in such a way that it makes sense with the video games.

Steel is strong against rock, but weak against fighting and ground, all 3 of which is represnted by the fighting type in the TCG. How is weakness represented by the metal type in the TCG? Fire. It is always fire, as to not make it so that for some reason, a rock type is strong against a steel type. The only cards that have metal pokemon being weak to fighting pokemon is if it has dual fire and fighting weakness, or if that pokemon was a delta species. All metal pokemon have a weakness to fire. There is one non-delta species metal pokemon card that isn't weak to fire, but weak to lightning, and that is empoleon, because of empoleon also being water in the TCG, as well as skarmory, (see the whole flying overriding weakness and resistance that I mentioned above).

I don't think primary and secondary typing should be an argument. keep in mind the Bird type was intended to be a thing to complement the bug type, which could have been Grass type as well. I too don't want Zangoose to hit Machamp for weakness but why does Nidoking and Muk deserve to hit Mewtwo for Weakness? None of these Pokemon are strong offensively to Mewtwo. The intend here is to give more interaction between card types.

Now not every type should be represented because some work. Bug and Grass can belong together because their relationship is symbiotic and represents nature. Ground/Rock/Fighting are to represent strength so they are fine together, though I'm not opposed to Fighting becoming its own type. We won't ever see a Water weak Machamp but through the current fighting group, they are weak to their appropriate types but the flying type, which is grouped with colorless should also hit for weakness against Bug/Grass/Fighting and not purely exist for a target to the lightning type.

Noivern cards (all of them) have been Dragon type despite being a Dragon secondary (per established rules), Which didn't need its own type to begin with since being a Dragon type is still pretty much colorless in terms of typing for the TCG. Noiverns cards should all be colorless right? Why does Tornadus deserve to be punished by being grouped with an type that can't hit for weakness despite not being a normal type.

The simple thing here is to just make the flying type its own type. Its not needed but they should at least make Pokemon colorless weak. Now there was an argument that the colorless type is splashable and while that is true, many colored Pokemon are more splashable than the colorless type. The argument still works I guess but many Pokemon can use a DCE.

How to balance the Flying-type, and the TCG in general:

Step 1: Don't fix what isn't broken.

Step 2: Put the game designers to work on things that really matter, such as correcting for power creep and fixing the balance of power between EXs and Evolutions.

~SS

Yeah, thats true. I would want them to fix the current issues. no tool removal, locks and such but this isn't the fault of the flying type. If anything, the Dragon type was fine being part of Colorless but here we are.

Odd tried to quote PMJ's quote of a quote but it seems to have failed... refer to that above

This: we already have this problem. There are several sets that have types with VERY little representation sometimes only one or two cards for the entire type. Heck even Dark and Steel when they brought them to the TCG didn't have basic energy until what Gen Four? They even knew then it would be rough the more basic energy types they had in.

I think how they have flying types is fine right now: the lightning weakness with the fighting resistance is fine and can give some types a weakness diversity needed because mono-weakness is not something I like about some types.

Nothing should be weak to Colorless as it is meant to be a generic type that's splash good and also I've come to terms the same for Dragons: which is great for a multi type energy cost Pokemon which they could make a little stronger to justify those multi-type attacks. Originally I didn't like the shift for gen 6 cards but I realized it was for the better. Still not a big fan of so many Psychic Pokemon still weak to Psychic it could ge dicey if they make a similar mistake like they did with Next Destinies. They seemed to learned that from what Mewtwo Y does.

The game was still new. Darkness and Metal energy had Special energy, which no other type had at the time. All types in the TCG should have a basic energy counterpart. The flying type isn't fine right now because they can take 2x the damage while not being able to do the same as well.

Thanks to the high damage fighting types can do (as well as other types) and things like Strong Energy, having a fighting resistance means nothing. I don't think a cards splashability should be a factor in type effectiveness since a lot of splashable cards come from other types and in the TCG, the colorless type is the weakest type in attackers and support. I don't want to use this as an argument but the best attackers for colorless that comes to mind are Mega Ray EX and Lugia EX and maybe Fates Lugia but thats 3 cards out of the entire type. I also realized we don't have a Psychic Lugia or a Fire Ho-Oh.

Last edited:
Now that we have dual types (again), couldn't we just have a type exclusive to the secondary portion of dual type cards for flying? They're still colorless (or respective type) and splashable, and that way you can have what you want with weakness/resistance with them.

To me, the key to Flying Type representation is simple. Just make Pokemon weak to Colorless again.

I was thinking of making the background on a Flying type Pokemon light blue (think baby blue), and having a wing symbol on the type circle. Or just make all the Colorless Flying types their primary type, with the exception of Tornadus and Normal/Flying types. For example, Talonflame in Steam Siege could be Fire instead of Colorless, which would make more sense. Why? BECAUSE TALONFLAME ISN'T A KRIFFING NORMAL TYPE.

Now that we have dual types (again), couldn't we just have a type exclusive to the secondary portion of dual type cards for flying? They're still colorless (or respective type) and splashable, and that way you can have what you want with weakness/resistance with them.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here but assuming flying doesn't get its own type and they continue with colorless, then Talonflame becomes Fire/Colorless if it ever gets a dual type card since colorless is grouped with flying. I think this is because at the time the TCG came out, a lot of flying type attacks now were normal back then. I think Wing Attack, Peck, Sky Attack and Fly were the only flying type attacks.

To me, the key to Flying Type representation is simple. Just make Pokemon weak to Colorless again.

That would be the simple solution but people have said they don't want a machamp weak to Zangoose.

I was thinking of making the background on a Flying type Pokemon light blue (think baby blue), and having a wing symbol on the type circle. Or just make all the Colorless Flying types their primary type, with the exception of Tornadus and Normal/Flying types. For example, Talonflame in Steam Siege could be Fire instead of Colorless, which would make more sense. Why? BECAUSE TALONFLAME ISN'T A KRIFFING NORMAL TYPE.

That would be nice to see if they wanted to make Flying its own type (something I would support). All Pokemon who are normal/flying should become flying in the TCG if that happen. The colorless Ho-Oh EX is quite painful, considering its still water weak. Someone dropped the ball there.

The game can have 100 billion types in the TCG, but as long as there are 6 to 8 energy types (9 is way too much), then it should be fine. A pokemon hitting for weakness is only relevant to what pokemon type symbol is under "weakness" in a certain card. What works in the video game doesn't mean it will work in a Trading card game where you draw cards, and you have a deck. Nothing should ever be weak against colorless, considering how colorless can use any energy to power attacks, and fairy type was built to beat dragon type, and it was a mistake. Only dragons are allowed to be weak to dragons, or only a type that requires 2 or more energy types for attacks is allowed to be weak against a type that requires 2 or more energy types for attack.

I know it's sad that your favorite type doesn't get to hit for weakness, but if it makes you happy, flying types can have a red card border and can use fire energy to power up attacks. That's good enough, right? You may say, "but flying isn't weak against water", in which I say, the weakness only happens on what is shown on the card, so if there is no water symbol under weakness on a fire type, then it isn't weak against water. So there you go. You can slaughter all your grass and bug types all you want. If flying had its own type for weakness, it would be redundant anyway, as Psychic already hits fighting for weakness, and Fire hits Grass and Bug for weakness, and it is always a bad idea to add more types that use their own basic energy.

If flying was its own type, and it hit fighting, then psychic can only hit psychic for weakness. This leaves Bug and Grass. I wouldn't make a single type just to hit a subset of a type for weakness. Darkness hits only ghost subset of psychic for weakness. Ghost types should be darkness in the TCG. That way darkness hits psychic (psychic) and darkness (ghost) types for weakness, while psychic hits psychic (poison), and fighting (fighting) types for weakness.

What is supposedly weak against flying in the video games is taken care of by having them weak to fire, if bug and grass, or psychic, if fighting.

Even if flying can't hit anything for weakness, it resists fighting, either by being immune to ground or have resistance to fighting types, although rock types are strong against flying in the video game.

The game can have 100 billion types in the TCG, but as long as there are 6 to 8 energy types (9 is way too much), then it should be fine. A pokemon hitting for weakness is only relevant to what pokemon type symbol is under "weakness" in a certain card. What works in the video game doesn't mean it will work in a Trading card game where you draw cards, and you have a deck. Nothing should ever be weak against colorless, considering how colorless can use any energy to power attacks, and fairy type was built to beat dragon type, and it was a mistake. Only dragons are allowed to be weak to dragons, or only a type that requires 2 or more energy types for attacks is allowed to be weak against a type that requires 2 or more energy types for attack.

I know it's sad that your favorite type doesn't get to hit for weakness, but if it makes you happy, flying types can have a red card border and can use fire energy to power up attacks. That's good enough, right? You may say, "but flying isn't weak against water", in which I say, the weakness only happens on what is shown on the card, so if there is no water symbol under weakness on a fire type, then it isn't weak against water. So there you go. You can slaughter all your grass and bug types all you want. If flying had its own type for weakness, it would be redundant anyway, as Psychic already hits fighting for weakness, and Fire hits Grass and Bug for weakness, and it is always a bad idea to add more types that use their own basic energy.

If flying was its own type, and it hit fighting, then psychic can only hit psychic for weakness. This leaves Bug and Grass. I wouldn't make a single type just to hit a subset of a type for weakness. Darkness hits only ghost subset of psychic for weakness. Ghost types should be darkness in the TCG. That way darkness hits psychic (psychic) and darkness (ghost) types for weakness, while psychic hits psychic (poison), and fighting (fighting) types for weakness.

What is supposedly weak against flying in the video games is taken care of by having them weak to fire, if bug and grass, or psychic, if fighting.

Even if flying can't hit anything for weakness, it resists fighting, either by being immune to ground or have resistance to fighting types, although rock types are strong against flying in the video game.

I'm not sure making them all the fire type would make since. There isn't any need to change the type since flying types don't hit metal for weakness. The point of adding a colorless weakness to some type is to make the matchup easier for some decks. Having a Psychic weakness is bad to have. It has always been a bad weakness to have. If Machamp were colorless weak, then Mewtwo couldn't OHKO for free. Same for Gallade and Grass types. They can be weak to either Colorless or Psychic/Fire instead of autolosing to the current weaknesses they have. it could also directly nerf or punish good cards. Remember the Water type used to be weak to Lightning but was swapped to Grass because of how powerful the Lightning type was at the time. Same thing could apply here as well

The whole Dragon vs Fairy thing is odd because if theses types didn't exist, they would both be colorless. If Dragon were weak to Dragon, then Fairy would have no reason to have have its own type would would more than likely be normal, since a lot of Pokemon who became fairy were Normal type at one point and many having Fairy as a secondary type. Since Fairy exist now to just beat Dragon, then the Dragon type is pretty much a colored colorless type since old dragon cards were colorless and still had odd energy requirements. It was fine under the last system but colorless Dragons were weak to the Colorless type. In the TCG, Colorless is still a type and there are types that could be weak to it.

Sorry for taking so long to respond to these but I wanted to respond and cover some point. I'm not sure what you mean by flying provides weakness diversity so if you will, I'd like to know more by this.

What's meant by weakness diversity is that since flying Pokémon are most commonly weak to Lightning, including an on-color flyer lets you play against your weakness. For example, Yvetal in a Dark deck helps keep your deck from just rolling over and dying to Fighting.

What's meant by weakness diversity is that since flying Pokémon are most commonly weak to Lightning, including an on-color flyer lets you play against your weakness. For example, Yvetal in a Dark deck helps keep your deck from just rolling over and dying to Fighting.

Yes, that is a very good point. It would shake things up for sure since the game became one-colored decks.

Flying type is a secondary type in all but 3 cases, in the TCG it seems more of a mechanic, there for weakness and resistance diversity and to give some cards an alternate colour. As a sort-of-collector seeing cards like Talonflame and Aerodactyl on a white backdrop for a change looks very pretty and also it allows the pokemon to be played in different ways though some kinds of trainer cards designed to work excluisvely for colourless couldnt hurt.

Unless every type gets represented, I just can't see flying type work on its own I think it takes too much away. I do think some variety for dual type pokemon however would be a good thing. For example lightning type Lanturn with grass weakness, a Pidgeot with psychic weakness (since it is immune to ghost)

I'm not sure making them all the fire type would make since. There isn't any need to change the type since flying types don't hit metal for weakness. The point of adding a colorless weakness to some type is to make the matchup easier for some decks. Having a Psychic weakness is bad to have. It has always been a bad weakness to have. If Machamp were colorless weak, then Mewtwo couldn't OHKO for free. Same for Gallade and Grass types. They can be weak to either Colorless or Psychic/Fire instead of autolosing to the current weaknesses they have. it could also directly nerf or punish good cards. Remember the Water type used to be weak to Lightning but was swapped to Grass because of how powerful the Lightning type was at the time. Same thing could apply here as well

The whole Dragon vs Fairy thing is odd because if theses types didn't exist, they would both be colorless. If Dragon were weak to Dragon, then Fairy would have no reason to have have its own type would would more than likely be normal, since a lot of Pokemon who became fairy were Normal type at one point and many having Fairy as a secondary type. Since Fairy exist now to just beat Dragon, then the Dragon type is pretty much a colored colorless type since old dragon cards were colorless and still had odd energy requirements. It was fine under the last system but colorless Dragons were weak to the Colorless type. In the TCG, Colorless is still a type and there are types that could be weak to it.

Flying doesn't hit metal for weakness, neither does ice hitting fire for weakness, so it can never be perfect. You can't just simply take video game logic and put it into a trading card game. Since colorless can use any energy to power attacks, the drawback should be that that pokemon are never weak to colorless.

Dragon, when it was colorless, is weak to dragon, normal, fairy (before it was known as fairy), and flying, meaning that pokemon that has to use specific energy combinations and pokemon that can use any energy can hit it for weakness. Now that Dragon spun off into its own type, only pokemon that use specific energy combinations can hit pokemon that use specific energy combinations for weakness, until fairy came along and ruined everything. Fairy should never have been a type in the TCG.

Flying doesn't hit metal for weakness, neither does ice hitting fire for weakness, so it can never be perfect. You can't just simply take video game logic and put it into a trading card game. Since colorless can use any energy to power attacks, the drawback should be that that pokemon are never weak to colorless.

Dragon, when it was colorless, is weak to dragon, normal, fairy (before it was known as fairy), and flying, meaning that pokemon that has to use specific energy combinations and pokemon that can use any energy can hit it for weakness. Now that Dragon spun off into its own type, only pokemon that use specific energy combinations can hit pokemon that use specific energy combinations for weakness, until fairy came along and ruined everything. Fairy should never have been a type in the TCG.

Those are all true. Ice shouldn't be hitting fire for weakness and it would be cool to see an Articuno card with a fire weakness but from a simplistic stand point, Water and Ice is fine as it is. Not that a flying should exist in the TCG but it would offer more type interactions versus the one Fairy offers in which I do agree with you. Fairy should have never existed but neither should have Dragon but they exist now. We should just put a colorless weakness on some cards and not add another type to the game.

Flying type is a secondary type in all but 3 cases, in the TCG it seems more of a mechanic, there for weakness and resistance diversity and to give some cards an alternate colour. As a sort-of-collector seeing cards like Talonflame and Aerodactyl on a white backdrop for a change looks very pretty and also it allows the pokemon to be played in different ways though some kinds of trainer cards designed to work excluisvely for colourless couldnt hurt.

Unless every type gets represented, I just can't see flying type work on its own I think it takes too much away. I do think some variety for dual type pokemon however would be a good thing. For example lightning type Lanturn with grass weakness, a Pidgeot with psychic weakness (since it is immune to ghost)

Talonflame being colorless does it no favors but what about a flying type can't work? Its gets its own symbol and some Pokemon become flying weak and or flying resistant. A Grass weak Lanturn would be cool but mixing it up seems to take too much work for the developers and why would that Pokemon be Psychic weak?

Back