Hydrapple ex, Stellar Lapras ex, Briar, and More Revealed from “Stellar Miracle!”

Once again people complaining that a card isn't so hilariously broken as to match the engines from the G block.
Hydrapple ex is basically Gardevoir GX, which was a legitimate deck back in the day. It's stronger not just because of the heal, but because you don't need to load all of your energy on the attacker - you can load it onto Ogerpon ex and have multiple attackers ready.
It's just a really solid card.

I mean look at all the different types and tell me which one has an energy acceleration problem right now... The requirment of having a tera in play, multiple blissey ex's, energies in the discard, and the use of trumpet is quite a lot.
Cope harder 😂

I wouldn't underestimate Blissey ex as a candidate for this item. Who knows what Stellar ex Pokemon they may print in the future with strong attacks hindered by an awkward energy cost. Blissey allows for them to effectively use this item thanks to it's built in Energy Switch.

So just spitballing here but could Hydrapple with Ogerpon be a stand alone Grass Deck? With Gardenia's Vigor as long as you can get the energies in hand you should be able to play a lot of them per turn. Hydrapple being powered up from all energies in play instead of just to itself could help this stand in it's own in the way Ogerpon doesn't seem able to do. I don't think it's going to be top of the meta but could be a decent deck maybe? If we got new cards with the abilities of Rillaboom or Eldegoss would that make it more viable too? Rillaboom could attach 2 energy from Deck but was stage 2 and Eldegoss could search 2 energies per turn making it easier to get energies in hand. Does either of those abilities getting out on a new card help? Or just make Ogerpon better on its own?

I wouldn't underestimate Blissey ex as a candidate for this item. Who knows what Stellar ex Pokemon they may print in the future with strong attacks hindered by an awkward energy cost. Blissey allows for them to effectively use this item thanks to it's built in Energy Switch.

Speculating is pointless. Also, it wpuld be limited to tgat specific attacker which needs to be basic, as blissey + item is very space & set-up intensive for your deck. Is not like nergies are magically milled t1 and blissey ex materializes out of thin air. For that much effort, there are better combos.

Most stuff will get away just fine with crispin.

waaay too slow... you never want to skip an attacking turn with a two prizer in the active, especially if it has 220hp... You're essentially doing what foretress ex does already but with a gamba aspect and foretress ex is a bad card.
I never said it was viable, I just said its possible. Though there are some play pattern differences with Lapras compared to Foretress ex. While both of them are setup decks that will probably (or definitely in the case of Foretress) set you behind in prizes, Lapras is WAY more explosive in that it also immediately thins your deck by a third. You build your deck in such a way that after opening 20, you're able to grab between 8-10 energies straight into the board. I have no idea if there's anything that can take advantage of this yet, but the way is there.

Go first, attach water. Earthen Vessel for metal and psychic. Greninja concealed card the metal to draw. Attach Hourglass tool. End turn, Hourglass attach metal to lapras. Next turn attach psychic, go ham. It's possible.
Just Lapras turn 1 attach water, second turn use Arven for Earthen Vessel and Sparkling Crystal ACE SPEC and attach metal, bam you use the move in two turns

So just spitballing here but could Hydrapple with Ogerpon be a stand alone Grass Deck? With Gardenia's Vigor as long as you can get the energies in hand you should be able to play a lot of them per turn. Hydrapple being powered up from all energies in play instead of just to itself could help this stand in it's own in the way Ogerpon doesn't seem able to do. I don't think it's going to be top of the meta but could be a decent deck maybe? If we got new cards with the abilities of Rillaboom or Eldegoss would that make it more viable too? Rillaboom could attach 2 energy from Deck but was stage 2 and Eldegoss could search 2 energies per turn making it easier to get energies in hand. Does either of those abilities getting out on a new card help? Or just make Ogerpon better on its own?
Yeah, should be a pretty decent deck. Since you only run grass pokemon and energy Bug Catching Set and Gardenia becomes even more consistent, and attaching to the bench/ogerpon still scales Hydrapple up. No worries in powering up an attacking Hydrapple too because it can ramp itself. Rillaboom and Eldegoss is sort of not needed because oh Earthen Vessel and (I cannot stress this enough) Bug Catching Set. Really good items.

Yeah, should be a pretty decent deck. Since you only run grass pokemon and energy Bug Catching Set and Gardenia becomes even more consistent, and attaching to the bench/ogerpon still scales Hydrapple up. No worries in powering up an attacking Hydrapple too because it can ramp itself. Rillaboom and Eldegoss is sort of not needed because oh Earthen Vessel and (I cannot stress this enough) Bug Catching Set. Really good items.
fwiw I think you're right to stress the potential of Bug Catching Set. We haven't seen a meta deck go hard into all grass types yet.

Just Lapras turn 1 attach water, second turn use Arven for Earthen Vessel and Sparkling Crystal ACE SPEC and attach metal, bam you use the move in two turns
Lemme give this a go. If you put this into Dialga, turn 1 setup and start the Lapras, setup your beldums, attach (though you don't really have to). Turn 2, play Crispin to get the water/Psychic energy. Attach Water with Crispin, attach the Psychic per turn. Evolve a Metang and place a steel and you're set. Also if you researched in any way, you could possibly play a super rod to throw more energies back in your deck for maximum hits. By turn two, when you set off Larimar Rain, you could possibly setup a Dialga for Star Chronos and a Zamazenta for a revenge attack. This card is nuts.

The most threatening card of the bunch, to me, is absolutely Briar. Particularly, Briar allowing Charizard/Pidgeot to have more flexible prize math as simply a one-of is nuts. Any deck using a Tera can obviously access it, but Charizard definitely has accessibility to the card whenever it needs it. There are probably other really solid picks for running Briar in other stuff, but Charizard stands out the most to me.

Lapras of course has a powerful energy acceleration, but the fact that you need to give up an attack with a 2-prizer in the active is risky, on top of the hoops you might need to jump through to set it up. You are really gonna have to to take time to go through your deck and how profitable Lapras ends up being compared to just other energy methods. Like for example, if you are planning on using this in something like Dialga, you seriously ought to compare this idea to just playing Metangs and which ends up being more successful, and against which decks each is more or less successful.

This goes similarly for Glass Trumpet, which outside of the turtle's archetype should really be compared to other strategies. Blissey moving attached energy to the tera pokemon you want is neat, but there are definitely other cards that engine idea is competing with like Crispin, in-house typed acceleration, or even one idea that was drummed up on twitter featuring the Regis and Area Zero Underground. You should intake all these ideas and compare them accordingly. The set also isn't fully out, and the judgment could change at any given moment from new reveals. Take the time to come up with ideas first, and then compare them second with thought-out decks.

Dreadnaw could be an anti-meta card down the road, but the current deckspace doesn't allow it to really counter much effectively. That's pretty black-and-white to figure out.

Salazzle being a 3 handrip is neat, but in control a card that dedicated really needs to be looked over for if it is worth all the card investment, and I don't think it will be with what options are already available such as Eri and Luxray V, who are less deck-committal.

I got no opinion on Hydrapple rn as I have not through through its math at all while writing this up.

fwiw I think you're right to stress the potential of Bug Catching Set. We haven't seen a meta deck go hard into all grass types yet.
Pretty much. OgerBolt runs a mix of 3 color energy and pokemon, and Dipplin Festival doesnt run that much energy (but it does run a lot of grass pokemon and finding a Thwackey from a BCS just lets you snowball hard). It has been performing really well on my Torterra ex deck, only slightly gated by the fact that I can't run it alongside Poffins because Turtwigs are big chonkers.

I have great faith it's just going to be better on Hydrapple.

Go first, attach water. Earthen Vessel for metal and psychic. Greninja concealed card the metal to draw. Attach Hourglass tool. End turn, Hourglass attach metal to lapras. Next turn attach psychic, go ham. It's possible.
Thara way more convoluted than you need. Just play that Crispin supporter to attach + grab energy from the deck. Attach the second energy. Attach AceSpec tool that allows you to ignore an energy in the attack cost, done.

hydrapple ex is the first time a card's lack of viability has actively made me salty LOL

i love hydrapple and was hoping for a great card but this is worse than ogerpon ex in pretty much every way

grass types still don't have a viable engine
Ogrepon ex: am I a joke to you?

Gardenia's Vigor: am I a joke to you?

Bug Catching Set: am I a joke to you?

EDIT: Completely baffled by people's reception to Hydrapple EX. The ability stacks. So if you had three in play, and you charge up one Pokemon, you're also healing 90 damage from it. You're getting the Sada+Orgepon combo via Gardenia. Bug Catching set + earthen v to get the energies into your hand. Plenty of ways to shuffle them back in.

Sadly, I don't think it's viable to go Twilight Masquerade Dipplin, and run a Festival+1-1 Thwackey engine. I think you just run Pidgeot EX as a partner, go heavy on Rare Candy and just run a single copy of the new Dipplin.

Last edited:
We have atm 28 tera pokemon in live. We get revavroom in August. After that, we have terapagos, galvantula, lapras, cinderace and whatever else.

Out of the 28 we have now, only greedent is colorless.

None of the 8 stage 2's (ninja, chomp, tsareena, zard, pult,skeledirg, dragonite & ttar) have any synergy.

So the pool is 21 (+ stellars and unveiled cards for sept set).

Out of the 11 stage 1's only greedent or spathra have any potential synergy, but it isn't clear for what exactly in the case of spathra and greedent is just a bad terapagos with a bit more hp.

Regarding the basics, Other than G ogerpon, none of them have any synergy. So you are either building terapagos or ogerpon G with colorless pokemon like arc or blissey. Blissey + trumpet isn't a real engine that can be splashed, is too large and bricky.

People isn't being narrow minded, crystal trumpet is quite narrow with current pool. And speculating about the future is pointless. Also, this set has crispin, which is a generic card and is a top tier energy accel card, so that limits the pool even more.
But you’re just talking about a single card I thought we were talking about all cards that support teras so far. As for glass trumpet, well it can help more decks than the ones revolving around teras the req. isn’t that crazy, and although I do still think it will impact the meta in general I’m 100% thinking of rogue decks as well (again thinking beyond glass trumpet alone)

Back