Pokemon Is Darkrai's Design Based Off of the Slenderman Legend?

Kecleon-X

124c41+
Spending lots of time around the evil warlord of the TCG, I've begun to notice similarities with another mythical being that I have been interested in: The Slenderman. There are several things about the two of them that coincide, which I will try my best to point out.

Similarities in persona:

They both seem to like to stalk people in the shadows; in dreams or otherwise.
Darkrai plunges people into never-ending nightmares, similar to the Slenderman, who terrorizes his victims in a living nightmare.
Darkrai, like the Slenderman, seem to have a soft-spot for children.

Differences in persona:

Darkrai seems to mean no harm, whereas the Slenderman probably does not.

Similarities in shape:

portrait_of_a_slender_man_by_sophiemcphearson-d2xxs71png.jpg

Clearest image I could find. If someone has a better one, let me know.

Darkrai_legs.png

Darkrai using his legs.

As you can see, the Slenderman (Above) is quite similar to Darkrai (Below).

They both have needle-thin legs.
They both have flowing "Tentacles" (See Darkrai's tail and shoulders; also the Slenderman's tentacles).
They both have the same color scheme. The Slenderman is usually depicted with a black suit, but what varies is his necktie (If any). It can even be a red scarf, something I find rather similar to Darkrai's "collar". They also have white on their heads. Darkrai can even retract his eye so the white plume is all that can be seen!

What do you think? Am I the only one drawing these similarities? Was Darkrai actually based off (somewhat) the Slenderman?

RE: Darkrai = Slenderman?

Something Ive been wondering about Darkrai since I saw Dusknoir in gen 4...

Was Darkrai in a previous design meant to be Banettes evolution?

Since Dusclops essentially got a mean expression and more threatening design. With some slight tweaks, Darkrai would be the perfect candidate for Banettes. It already has that torn look and all lol.

Thinking about how Latias and Blaziken originate from the same unfinished design of a pokemon, I can see a similar thing having happened to this guy.

logicbymitja2bw0.png

I'm pretty darn sure Dakrai was designed YEARS before Slenderman, so I don't think the two designs were casually inspired from each other...

Slenderman is based off of German mythology (Der Großmann) and popularized by a somethingawful thread.

Darkrai is (said to be) based off of the Greek god Morpheus.

Any similarities are coincidental.

Der Grobmann and the Treeman, Thin Man, etc.. It is all around the world, really.

You gotta admit, though, the similarities are rather striking. I mean, look at that picture of Darkrai!

Kecleon-X said:
Der Grobmann and the Treeman, Thin Man, etc.. It is all around the world, really.

You gotta admit, though, the similarities are rather striking. I mean, look at that picture of Darkrai!

Any physical similarities are mere coincidence.

Slenderman is supposedly a creature that has existed since before humanity, and kidnaps children.

Darkrai plunges people into darkest nightmare.

Very much conceptually different things.

Any theories about Slenderman resembling Darkrai are as ridiculous as Slenderman himself.

Mitja said:
Something Ive been wondering about Darkrai since I saw Dusknoir in gen 4...

Was Darkrai in a previous design meant to be Banettes evolution?

Since Dusclops essentially got a mean expression and more threatening design. With some slight tweaks, Darkrai would be the perfect candidate for Banettes. It already has that torn look and all lol.

Thinking about how Latias and Blaziken originate from the same unfinished design of a pokemon, I can see a similar thing having happened to this guy.

logicbymitja2bw0.png

I'm not seeing the resemblance here.

The Fallen One said:
Kecleon-X said:

Any physical similarities are mere coincidence.

Slenderman is supposedly a creature that has existed since before humanity, and kidnaps children.

Darkrai plunges people into darkest nightmare.

Very much conceptually different things.

They both plunge people into nightmares, but the Slenderman's nightmare is very real. Both are nightmares, so they are similar.

ShadowLugia said:
Too much PewdiePie is bad for your health.

I don't watch Pewdie. I prefer Toby.

Bolt the Cat said:
Any theories about Slenderman resembling Darkrai are as ridiculous as Slenderman himself.

Ridiculous? Then what is that white hand on your shoulder...

Kecleon-X said:
I don't watch Pewdie. I prefer Toby.

Both are just as bad.

Kecleon-X said:

This can be a reference to 2 different things. = )

Bolt the Cat said:

But what resemblence do you see between Dusclops and Dusknoir?
I mean they're just as different. It loses legs, gets a threatening look and stance a more hideous head and keeps the bulkiness/torn-ness.

spending lots of hours around the "lavender town tower" of the "pokcet-man" universe, I've begun to notice similaritiesbetween every1's favorite {P} type gastly with another mythical awesome meme that is awesome:da troll face

it seems other people hav even noticed this 2, because look at the spoiler

618px-Trollface_HD.png

Gastly.gif

ghastly_troll_by_soarklez-d34zpb2.png

coinkidink??? i do not think so

they both smile a lot
both totally rock!!! (trolling= awesome]
there both trolls (wow why cannot i catch these gastly?? :troll:)

was gastly made off the troll face???i think so

next time of elk-dimension investigate: is delacatty actually the amazing "meme" nyan cat in disguise??? find out

also it seems another fan favorite, voltorb, is based off of a meme we know and don't really love

Voltorb.gif

awesome_face_sticker-p217016404978127357envb3_400.jpg

vfgndv.png

looks like nintendo got some 'splaining to do

Kecleon-X said:

Master Hand, of course.

Seriously, though, Slenderman is little more than a dumb internet meme, and Darkrai's been around long before Slenderman was popular. If an American has barely known about him for a month, what do you think the chances are Japanese game developers have known him for 6 years?

Bolt the Cat said:
Kecleon-X said:

Master Hand, of course.

Seriously, though, Slenderman is little more than a dumb internet meme, and Darkrai's been around long before Slenderman was popular. If an American has barely known about him for a month, what do you think the chances are Japanese game developers have known him for 6 years?

Quite likely, actually. We have legends going far beyond 6 months of the Slenderman, even into the 1600's. Hence Der Grobmann, Treeman, Der Ritter, etc.. This can only mean that the internet merely popularized it, not created it. It is entirely possible for someone in Japan to know of the "Boogeyman" tales of old.

Kecleon-X said:
Quite likely, actually. We have legends going far beyond 6 months of the Slenderman, even into the 1600's. Hence Der Grobmann, Treeman, Der Ritter, etc.. This can only mean that the internet merely popularized it, not created it. It is entirely possible for someone in Japan to know of the "Boogeyman" tales of old.

Yes, it popularized it. It probably wasn't well known outside its country of origin (Germany, I presume?) until it became a meme.

Mitja said:
Bolt the Cat said:

But what resemblence do you see between Dusclops and Dusknoir?
I mean they're just as different. It loses legs, gets a threatening look and stance a more hideous head and keeps the bulkiness/torn-ness.

The eye and hands at least. Also, (and quoting Bulbapedia cause I'm having a hard time trying to describe what I want to say) "The tattered fringes of Dusknoir's lapels converge into a shawl collar on its upper chest.". I can definitely see Dusknoir as a Dusclops evo. Darkrai has no resemblence to Banette, IMO.

Slenderman was just something created for a "Creepy Photo-bomb" contest in 2009 on some forum called Something Awful. Seeing how D&P came out in 2006 (3 years before Slenderman) I don't think Darkrai was based off Slenderman. I can see the similarities you are talking about though.

I think it's just a coincidence, or even perhaps as far to go as saying Slenderman is based a bit (physically) off of Darkrai?

TheLostZone said:
Slenderman was just something created for a "Creepy Photo-bomb" contest in 2009 on some forum called Something Awful. Seeing how D&P came out in 2006 (3 years before Slenderman) I don't think Darkrai was based off Slenderman. I can see the similarities you are talking about though.

Technically untrue. As I, and others, have stated before, there are quite vivid descriptions in folklore and diary entries that describe the Slenderman in the 1600's. SomethingAweful Forums simply popularized the legend, not created it.

Equinox said:
I think it's just a coincidence, or even perhaps as far to go as saying Slenderman is based a bit (physically) off of Darkrai?

I wouldn't be surprised if the similarities are coincidental, however it isn't a stretch to say that someone in Pokemon might have been inspired by the tales of old.

Back