Pokemon Is Darkrai's Design Based Off of the Slenderman Legend?

RE: Darkrai = Slenderman?

Kecleon-X said:
Technically untrue. As I, and others, have stated before, there are quite vivid descriptions in folklore and diary entries that describe the Slenderman in the 1600's. SomethingAweful Forums simply popularized the legend, not created it.

If you're going to make this argument, then don't call the thread "Darkrai = Slenderman?", call the thread "Darkrai = A figure from German mythology?".

I agree with Shadow Lugia. The Slenderman was "popularized" after Darkrai was announced, thus, he couldn't be based off of the Slenderman, he would have been based off of some German person's myth in Game Freak, with him telling the developers about this myth.

ShadowLugia said:
Kecleon-X said:
Technically untrue. As I, and others, have stated before, there are quite vivid descriptions in folklore and diary entries that describe the Slenderman in the 1600's. SomethingAweful Forums simply popularized the legend, not created it.

If you're going to make this argument, then don't call the thread "Darkrai = Slenderman?", call the thread "Darkrai = A figure from German mythology?".

I could make a "Challenge Accepted" joke here... So much.

Anyway, if Der Grossman (I was corrected on the spelling on him), the Treeman, Thin Man etc. are the same as the Slenderman, what does it matter which name I put up? If they are the same, what difference does it make?

Freezing Blizzard said:
I agree with Shadow Lugia. The Slenderman was "popularized" after Darkrai was announced, thus, he couldn't be based off of the Slenderman, he would have been based off of some German person's myth in Game Freak, with him telling the developers about this myth.

Um... The Slenderman is the same as the things in German mythology, just with a different name.

Kecleon-X said:
Anyway, if Der Grossman (I was corrected on the spelling on him), the Treeman, Thin Man etc. are the same as the Slenderman, what does it matter which name I put up? If they are the same, what difference does it make?

A fair point. However, since Slenderman was based on those figures from mythology, and aren't really the same thing, then it would make more sense to mention them in the thread title/OP, since we all know Darkrai wasn't inspired by the Slenderman we see on all of those YouTube videos these days. I'm not trying to poke holes in your theory, I'm just giving you advice so people won't think you're crediting Darkrai's creation to a stupid meme.

ShadowLugia said:
Kecleon-X said:

A fair point. However, since Slenderman was based on those figures from mythology, and aren't really the same thing, then it would make more sense to mention them in the thread title/OP, since we all know Darkrai wasn't inspired by the Slenderman we see on all of those YouTube videos these days. I'm not trying to poke holes in your theory, I'm just giving you advice so people won't think you're crediting Darkrai's creation to a stupid meme.

Ah, makes sense.

Actually, there is a fool-proof way to figure out what Darkrai was based off of: Just ask if he wants $20. :p

Hahaha that mod was great. Instead of getting creeped out I'd just die laughing. It is a fun idea to poke... But I think it's mere coincidence. Often I come up with i think no one would and weeks later there it is before I got to do it. I'd yell they stole my idea! But who am I kidding? Maybe mr. Slender is based off Darkrai only more twisted and creepy.

If a random person came up to me and asked me if I wanted $20 I doubt I'd say no.

I have a vaguely humanoid shape.

I wear black clothes from time to time.

I guess I'm either Slenderman or based off of him.

Darkrai:"To protect itself, it afflicts those around it with nightmares. However, it means no harm. "
Darkrai is based on nightmares and the moon (kinda).
"Those who sleep holding Cresselia's feather are assured of joyful dreams. It is said to represent the crescent moon."
Cresselia is based on good dreams and the moon in a different phase.

That's it.

What you claimed is no different from Shadow Lugia's Voltorb/awesome smilie "inspiration claim" so I don't understand why you are still defending it. Darkrai has nothing to do with anything you have mentioned.

Teal said:
Darkrai:"To protect itself, it afflicts those around it with nightmares. However, it means no harm. "
Darkrai is based on nightmares and the moon (kinda).
"Those who sleep holding Cresselia's feather are assured of joyful dreams. It is said to represent the crescent moon."
Cresselia is based on good dreams and the moon in a different phase.

That's it.

What you claimed is no different from Shadow Lugia's Voltorb/awesome smilie "inspiration claim" so I don't understand why you are still defending it. Darkrai has nothing to do with anything you have mentioned.

Another Pokedex entry from HGSS: It chases people and Pokémon from its territory by causing them to experience deep, nightmarish slumbers.

Not so benign, though I see your point.

I am not trying to defend it; I am simply drawing comparison whilst pointing out misconceptions about the lore behind the Slenderman.

I see a lot of simulatritys but I think it is more of a coinencident. Also wasn't darkri before slenderman? I'm not sure I haven't really looked into it

No, he was not. Slenderman, Treeman, Thin Man, Der Grossman, etc. are all part of German Mythology and actual diary entries from as early as the 1600's. Seeing as Pokemon wasn't even thought of until the late 1990's, I don't see how Darkrai could have come first.

Kecleon-X said:
No, he was not. Slenderman, Treeman, Thin Man, Der Grossman, etc. are all part of German Mythology and actual diary entries from as early as the 1600's. Seeing as Pokemon wasn't even thought of until the late 1990's, I don't see how Darkrai could have come first.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but that just isn't true. All these men aren't part of "the German Mythology". I'm from Germany, you know, I can tell. All this Slenderman-meme was invented by this photoshop contest, not revived. Every "proof", like pictures (especially the woodcut "Der Ritter"), are faked/shoped, except a few diary entries, which are simply misinterpreted on purpose and not faked... So just stop make a fool out of yourself believing lies of other people. The whole thing was made up for fun and that contest, no more.

By the way, I just registered because of you ;P

shitzon said:
Kecleon-X said:

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but that just isn't true. All these men aren't part of "the German Mythology". I'm from Germany, you know, I can tell. All this Slenderman-meme was invented by this photoshop contest, not revived. Every "proof", like pictures (especially the woodcut "Der Ritter"), are faked/shoped, except a few diary entries, which are simply misinterpreted on purpose and not faked... So just stop make a fool out of yourself believing lies of other people. The whole thing was made up for fun and that contest, no more.

By the way, I just registered because of you ;P

First off, thank you, Teal, for liking that post. :p

Secondly, The Tree Man was actually English Myth, not German. Sorry about that.

Thirdly, are you familiar with this? http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyrykroloZ1rnluy3o1_500.jpg It is German. And to your notion that you are German and you have not heard of such legends, therefore disproving such theories, I am American and I haven't heard of Champ or the Lizard Man up until recently. I believe it quite easy to live somewhere and be completely unaware of something.

Thanks for calling me a fool, bro. But anyway, I am not believing any of it. You misunderstand. I do not think anything like the Slenderman could exist ever. I never said anything about believing any of it. Simply put, I do not believe it, yet I cannot help but to draw comparison.

Simply stating that everything about the Slenderman is fake does not mean that it couldn't be the inspiration for Darkrai. It was said earlier and on the wiki that he resembles Orpheus, some Greek God guy. Seeing as those guys were just man's way of interpreting nature and were faker than most Hollywood stars nowadays, the argument is invalid.

However, welcome to the forums, my friend! I hope you aren't allergic to nuts, because we are all crazy here! :p

I'm sorry to disappoint you, again, but that woodcut you're presenting is, like I said before, one of the examples always shown, but that doesn't make it more right or something. It is shoped, just a fake. Here is the original: http://chnm.gmu.edu/cyh/files/display/116/fullsize . You see, just a normal depiction of death.
But, obviously you're right in one point: Just because I'm german, it doesn't mean something. I'm interested in folklore and use much of it from all over the world in my own stories, so I'm sort of a bit into that stuff. You'll find no clue of such creatures like "dem Großmann" in original sources. Everything you can find is slenderman-related and I only find english texts about it, with non-stated sources, mostly something like "an old german book" or something. There is never a original source or even a german text. So, I'm far from an expert, but this research shows clearly what you can think about it. Every picture you find is fake and every text isn't backed up...

You believe the lie that slenderman is inspired by an creature of old german folklore. So, you believe it oô I didn't mean you believe in Slender or something xD You fell for a trick.

Since Diamond and Perl came out in 2006 and slenderman was invited 2009, only his "predecessors" can be the inspiration for Darkrai. So, yeah, proving that all the stuff about slendermans origin is indeed fake, does mean that Darkrai can't be based on him. Besides there is a hole in the space time continuum...
By the way, the shopper who made the pics of slenderman gave an interview ( http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/slender-man ), stating the inspiration for slenderman was "H.P Lovecraft, Stephan King (specifically his short stories), the surreal imaginings of William S. Burroughs, and couple games of the survival horror genre; Silent Hill and Resident Evil. I feel the most direct influences were Zack Parsons’s “That Insidious Beast”, the Steven King short story “The Mist”, the SA tale regarding “The Rake”, reports of so-called shadow people, Mothman, and the Mad Gasser of Mattoon."
(In the last link is also an paragraph about the possible graphical inspiration for slendy, but I don't think that GameFreak knows about "Cabadath" or something. Do you? Also, it talks about the Großmann, which was "introduced to the mythos as an origin" by TribeTwelve, so someone there made it up.)

Thank you ;D I was in many forums, so I know all the funny things on the web ;o) And just entering here for telling you things about german folklore is an introduction to my personal crazyness...

shitzon said:
I'm sorry to disappoint you, again, but that woodcut you're presenting is, like I said before, one of the examples always shown, but that doesn't make it more right or something. It is shoped, just a fake. Here is the original: http://chnm.gmu.edu/cyh/files/display/116/fullsize . You see, just a normal depiction of death. I thought that one looked shopped... <Scratches chin idly>

But, obviously you're right in one point: Just because I'm german, it doesn't mean something. I'm interested in folklore and use much of it from all over the world in my own stories, so I'm sort of a bit into that stuff. Your own stories? You write fiction of this? You'll find no clue of such creatures like "dem Großmann" in original sources. Everything you can find is slenderman-related and I only find english texts about it, with non-stated sources, mostly something like "an old german book" or something. I find this, too. Although I did find one diary entry, though I cannot find it. There is never a original source or even a german text. So, I'm far from an expert, but this research shows clearly what you can think about it. Every picture you find is fake and every text isn't backed up...

You believe the lie that slenderman is inspired by an creature of old german folklore. So, you believe it oô I didn't mean you believe in Slender or something xD You fell for a trick. Ah. I misunderstood you.

Since Diamond and Perl came out in 2006 and slenderman was invited 2009, only his "predecessors" can be the inspiration for Darkrai. So, yeah, proving that all the stuff about slendermans origin is indeed fake, does mean that Darkrai can't be based on him. Besides there is a hole in the space time continuum... Don't you know? I am sitting in my cave writing this on my iStone. Lame joking aside, I see your point.
By the way, the shopper who made the pics of slenderman gave an interview ( http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/slender-man ), stating the inspiration for slenderman was "H.P Lovecraft, Stephan King (specifically his short stories), the surreal imaginings of William S. Burroughs, and couple games of the survival horror genre; Silent Hill and Resident Evil. I feel the most direct influences were Zack Parsons’s “That Insidious Beast”, the Steven King short story “The Mist”, the SA tale regarding “The Rake”, reports of so-called shadow people, Mothman, and the Mad Gasser of Mattoon." Can't argue with that.
(In the last link is also an paragraph about the possible graphical inspiration for slendy, but I don't think that GameFreak knows about "Cabadath" or something. Do you? Nope. It sounded familiar, but no. I don't know what GameFreak knows about, little can anyone say what they do know. It is possible that they do. Also, it talks about the Großmann, which was "introduced to the mythos as an origin" by TribeTwelve, so someone there made it up.)

Thank you ;D I was in many forums, so I know all the funny things on the web ;o) And just entering here for telling you things about german folklore is an introduction to my personal crazyness... THS S JUST TE BEGINNINGH! Muahahahahahaha-! *Cough* Hoo-! *Hacks up lung* Huagh...

[sarcasm]TL;DR[/sarcasm]

Thanks again, Teal, for stalking this thread :O liking that post.

Anyway, I see your point. I still can't help but to see the similarities, though. I mean seriously, dat picture of Darkrai. But anyway, you'll find my responses in your post in bold.

Well, believe me or don't, it is the original woodcut from Hans Holbein the Elder. He made a couple of other, e.g. "Der Ritter" too, in his "Totentanz" woodcuts.

Yeah, I write stories, but what do you mean with "of this"? I use many things in my fiction.

If you find a supposedly true diary entry or something, let me know. I'm pretty interested, but don't believe it at the moment ;)

I can understand in some way that you see similarities. But that doesn't always mean something ;D

Back