Minun and Plusle Dark EXplorers

dBlue

When I first saw these cards, I didn't pay much attention to them. But after taking another look at the set, I noticed that these two have a pretty neat combo, one being able to spread T1 and the other being able to net you a fresh 8 card hand.

Plusle – Lightning – HP60
Basic Pokemon

[C] Tag Draw: Return your entire hand to your deck, then shuffle your deck. Afterwards, draw 4 cards from your deck. If you have any Minun on your Bench, draw an additional 4 cards.
[L] Plus Ion: 20 damage. Flip a coin, if heads this attack does an additional 10 damage.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

BW4 Dark Rush - Minun

Minun – Lightning – HP60
Basic Pokemon

[C] Minus Ion: During your opponent’s next turn, any damage done by the attacks of the opponent’s Active Pokemon that was hit by this attack is reduced by 30.
[L] Elec-Shower: Does 10 damage to each of your opponent’s Pokemon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance when damaging the Bench.)

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

They look like they could go well together in an electric deck, with possible partners being:
-Raikou EX (snipes for 100)
-Zebstrika ND (locks trainers, snipes for 80)
- Eelektrik (to power up other Pokemon)

What do you guys think? Discuss.

RE: Minum and Plusle Dark EXplorers

I think the combo would be great, though i think that with eelektrik the bench would be super crowded so ssu or seeker would definitely be needed. It's a pretty good way to setup. I think the only downside is that it takes up 2 spaces in your bench for it to work well as you described.

Well, Minum can spread regardless of Plusle, so if spreading would be an important part of the deck, it wont be necessary to have both out. Maybe run a 2/3-1 Minum-Plusle split (one Plusle against bad starts)?

I thought that it would be used more as draw power. I'd rather use something like thundurus to start discarding while plusle and minum are in the bench helping setup faster.i wouldn't really use it as something to attack with really, unless as you said spreading would be important to the deck. Plusle would be best with minum but it can also be just by itself, but the draw wouldn't be as good.

I suppose it would depend on the deck you try to build. I always thought early spreading would help Zebstrika and Raikou snipe, although I can see a slower deck benefiting from Plusle's draw.

Well it would in that case. As I said earlier, the main trouble with pairing it up with eelektrik is that the bench will have almost no room besides eelektrik and minum and plusle while you are trying to set everything up. Unless you only use plusle of course.

I don't think the bench space would be too tight. I don't think most Eelektrik decks would need extra draw, especially when Thundurus is the preferred starter. I think a deck that starts with Minum to spread would work fine, no bench problems at all. Plusle isn't really that necessary in an Eelektrik deck, athough he can certainly help.

What decks do you guys think Plusle would really help in? Drawing a fresh hand of 8 (9 after the beginning of your next turn) is really nice.

For minum attacking, only one energy to spread is amazing so you can start spreading T1.
I'm not really sure which deck plusle/minum drawing would be most helpful in though...I think it will probably be clearer after the set is released?

Im not sure if I would be willing to put them into play. I guess the draw support and snipe can be nice for bad starts and weakening your opponents bench but you still are putting in to play 2 pokemon who are easy catcher targets and waste bench space. (BTW isnt it Minun not Minum?)

^ Exactly. Play cleffa, though donkable, does not waste bench space, draws pretty good amount of cards, and can live. Minun and Plusle are both Catcher bait. Cleffa is only one catcher bait. I don't prefer to play cleffa at all really but if you were to play Plusle Minun, Cleffa is better.

^But Cleffa can't spread like Minun, and Minun doesn't require Plusle to be in play, so you really don't even need Plusle at all.

Well, plusle doesn't really need minum either but just wouldn't be that great without it. If you run minum, then why not also run plusle take advantage of it to help setup? But without plusle and only minun you can't draw with them.

Well, it really depends on your goal. If you want to ultimately just have early game draw power, Cleffa would be much easier to use. But if you want spread, only Minun can do that. Really, there isn't a good use for Plusle besides a tech in a deck that already wants to use Minun.

I hate how much space the two of them take up, both Bench-wise and deck-wise. Doesn't seem worth it.

A single Minun or two doesn't seem worth the T1 spread? I dunno, I think it would be pretty nice in a Zebstrika deck, allowing Zebstrika to hit for more and snipe for an OHKO on an Eel.

Well, we already have Elekid from TM who can snipe T1 for 20 for no energy and the possibility of preventing damage.

Whoops. Misread minun :p

But he can be donked easily and doing 20 damage to one Pokemon is hardly the same thing as doing 10 damage to everybody on the opponents side. Minun can dish out a total of 60 compared to Elekid's 20, and Minun puts a lot of odd HP pokemon in range for pokemon that hit evenly (170 HP to 160, 110 to 100, 90 to 80, 130 to 120, and so on). And if he survives after the first turn, then 160 goes to 150, 100 to 90, 80 to 70, 120 to 110, and so on, putting many pokemon at least in OHKO range with a plus power.

It could be used as a starter kinda in spreading decks if they have energy acceleration on the bench. Maybe in groudon/kyogre? I don't know if it will be good yet though.

Eon said:
A single Minun or two doesn't seem worth the T1 spread? I dunno, I think it would be pretty nice in a Zebstrika deck, allowing Zebstrika to hit for more and snipe for an OHKO on an Eel.

I run Spiritomb in my Zebra deck SOLELY for the t1 10 damage to all eels. Getting a Lightning Pokémon that can do it will be so much better and so much easier for me, as I won't need to worry about running rainbows anymore. Minun will definitely be seeing play in my deck. Not so sold on Plusle just yet though

Uuuum, If you attack with Minun, yay free prize. They are both good in their own ways, but I like Cleffa because of less space and it can stay alive. Plus, no energy attack and a free retreat.

Back