Ruling Misunderstandings and Mistakes.

ArmaldoEX

Pokemon Rose Scripter
Just to inform you members, I think that I'm allowed to do this. If not, moderators, please PM me.And I prefer that you guys move this if needed. The cards Below are Common cards that are Misunderstood.

Tyranitar from Expedition and Steelix from Skyridge.

They're Poke-Bodies allow them to change basic energy to Metal or Darkness, Rite??? But people misunderstood them and assume that the energy changing will reduce, or add damage.  This is actually wrong. It only PROVIDES energy, but nothing else. No other effects will be given.

Pidgeot delta

This is just a reminder.

To use its poke-body, you MUST have a holon energy
attached to it. Examples of Holon energy are Holon GL, FF or WP.

Holon Castform/Magneton/Electrode

When you start a hand with Holon Castform, you must play it. This is beacuse it is a BASIC pokemon.

Holon Electrode, Magneton and Holon Castform are NOT examples of Holon Energy. They are Any energy of any TYPE, not kind. Types are like Fire, Water, Lightning, Psychic, Grass, Fighting, Metal and Darkness energy. They do NOT give any effects like reducing or adding damage.

Next, Holon Castform, Holon Electrode and Holon Magneton are ONLY energy when they are IN PLAY. In Discard Pile, Hand or Deck, they are counted as pokemons.  Therefore, you can use Power Tree to take back an energy, eventhough you have a Holon Electrode, Holon Magneton or Holon Castform in your Discard Pile.

Holon Castform

Its attack " Delta Draw", allows you to draw up to the same amount of delta pokemon in play.  Just as a reminder, You DON'T
Draw a card for Holon Castform, cause it's not a delta pokemon, but a holon Pokemon.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Delta Pokemon are pokemon which has the delta sign and the word " Delta Species" Beside its name.

Given by: Bass_Forte
Credits: Pokegym.net, and Bass_Forte

Cursed Powder

This card's Effect is activated only when the pokemon Cursed Powder is attached to get knock'ed out by your OPPONENT'S POKEMON, Not your own.  

Example:  You Bomb up your Electrode EX(example), Beedrill delta, Electrode(HL), Weezing(DX) or Forretress with Cursed Powder, it doesn't get activated.

NOTE: This misunderstanding has been posted at the ' Card Combos and Stratgies' Section. I'm sorry about this, but everyone SHOULD have and MUST read their cards properly.

Desert Ruins

EX-pokemon with MAXIMUM HP at least 100 will have to get 10 damage every turn.  I guess most of you know that, but I still see some people saying that as long as its REMAINING HP is 90 or below it doesn't get affected eventhough its HP is 150.  

Remaining HP= HP left when damage is done to it
Maximum HP= HP writen on the card

Ludicolo(DX) and Espeon delta

Ludicolo from DX with Happy Dance and Espeon Delta's Delta Heal is also common for misunderstandings. You can't use Happy Dance or Delta Heal to just 1 Pokemon, but ALL pokemon in play ( yours only, of course).  It's either ALL or none.  Take your Pick.

Ditto(DS), Deoxys and Unown

Eventhough Dittos, Deoxyses and Unown comes in a different Picture, you can only have 4 in your deck. Why???  This is because they have same names.

You can't have:-

4 Mr. Mime Dittos
4 Charmander Dittos
etc.

OR

4 Attack Deoxys
4 Defense Deoxys
etc.

OR

4 Unown S
4 Unown Z
etc.

But, you can have:-

4 Deoxyses
4 Deoxys EX.

This goes the same for other cards.

You can have

4 Charizard
4 Charizard EX
4 Dark Charizard

OR

4 Mewtwo
4 Mewtwo EX
4 Rocket's Mewtwo EX

as they have different names.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Pokemon delta are still considered as pokemon. For instance, you Can't have 4 Mewtwo and 4 Mewtwo d.

Delta or d is only there to different shape 1 Pokemon for another.  Thats why a Dratini d can evolve to a Dark Dragonair because Dratini d is the same as a Dratini.

This one is AMAZINGLY confusing to almost every member.
I've seen about 4-6 Threads on pokebeach which is an amazing number.

Rare Candy

Well, I've heard people asking:

Q: Can I use Rare Candy during my first turn???
A: Yes, ALL Trainers or pokemon attacks that evolve a pokemon INSTANTLY.

Q: Can I use Rare Candy to a Mysterious Fossil, Root Fossil, or Claw Fossil???
A: Yes. As stated on the card, " **** Fossil is a trainer card, as well as a basic pokemon.

Q: Can I use Rare Candy to a pokemon I just put down???
A: Yes, it applies the same as evolving it during you first turn.

Q: Can I use Wally's Training to evolve a pokemon I just evolved with Rare Candy???
A: Yes, as Wally's Training does Instant evolving.  Just as long as you don't evolve a pokemon with wally's training, then using Rare Candy as Rare Candy can only be used on basic pokemon.

Q: Can I use ' Make A Wish' to evolve a pokemon I just evolved with Rare Candy???
A: Yes, it applies the same as using a Wally's Training on a pokemon that evolved from Rare Candy

Q: Can I use a Rare Candy to evolve a basic pokemon, then using 'shuffle and draw' cards like Professor Oak's Research, Admin. etc. and then evolve it again with Rare candy???
A: No, as said before Rare candy Can't be used on an evolved pokemon.

ATM[ Rock, Ice or Steel]

Another Reminder.

You MUST make the pokemon ATM is attached to active to use the card's Effect. It also MUST have the energy cost to use the attack. Using this attack makes your turn end.

Blastoise EX

The poke-power states,

As Often as you like during your turn, before your attack you can attach 1 Water energy to 1 of your pokemon. If you do, put 1 damage counter on it.

So, the mistake done by people was:

Attaching like 5 energies onto 1 pokemon while only putting 1 damage counter.  It clearly states, attach 1 water, put 1 damage counter. So for each energy you attach, put 1 damage counter. This works the same when Shiftry EX is released. Each energy you attach, 20 damage.

Radar Jam(Crobat delta) and Disconnect(Manectric EX)

Q: Just say I have an evolved Jynx(UF) and it is damaged by Crobat delta or Menctric EX. Since Jynx's Poke-body prevents effects, can I still use trainers during my turn???
A: No, the cards clearly states,  'effects of attacks, excluding damage, DONE TO JYNX, so you can't use trainers during your turn.

Another easy misunderstanding,

Shedninja(DX) or Fossils

Play:-

My opponent has,

1 Shedninja from DX as active.

3 More bench pokemon

I have :-

Feraligatr EX

1 Prize left.

I attack Shedninja. Shedninja gets knock'ed out.

Q: Do I draw a prize or not due to Shedninja's poke-body: Empty shell???
A: Yes, as Feraligatr EX stops Shedninja's Poke-body from Working.

Gardevoir(EM) and Bellosom(HL)

You can only use ONE  Heal Dance as it states at the end of the poke-power,

' You can't use more than 1 Heal Dance per turn.'

Eventhough it may be different pokemon using the poke-power, but the card mentioned specificly that you are NOT able to use more than 1 Heal Dance.

Curing Special Conditions  by Pokemon and Energy

To name a few,

Sceptile (EM), TRR Rocket's Suicune EX, Holon GL, etc.

Q: What if my active pokemon, say a sneasel, got poison, then I attach a grass energy to it, with a sceptile from EM on bench, do my poison go away???

(Same as Holon GL and TRR Rocket's Suicune EX and others.)

A: Yes, they specifically said that the pokemon CAN'T be affected by Special Conditions.

Banette EX

Another Reminder,

You can use its poke-power to move your pokemon's damage conters to your opponent's pokemon.

Next, we have,

Metronome

Clefable EX and Togetic has this attack which allows you to use the DEFENDING's pokemon attack.  You don't need the same energy type, just the attack cost.

E.G.   Defending pokemon's attack = 3 Lightning
        To use Metronome=            You need 3 energy of ANY type.

Versatile and Copy

Mew EX has the honourable Versatile while Ditto(DS, Mr. Mime) and Sudowoodo(UF) has Copy.  This time they copy attacks too, but there's a twist. You NEED the energy type to use the attack.

E.G.  Defending pokemon's attack = 3 Lightning
       To Use Versatile or Copy=  3 Lightning

Multi Burn, Multi Pulse or Multi Bubble

Flareon, Vaporeon and Jolteon from the Unseen Forces have this attack.
For the effect of the attack to activate, you need 3 DIFFERENT types of BASIC energy attach to them.  That means only Fire, Water, Lightning, Grass, Psychic and Fighting can be used to activate this effect. Special energy don't count as basic energy here.

Full Flame and Rapidash

Most of you should know this already, but just in case. If a pokemon is burned, between turns, your opponent flipped tails for burn check. Both Rapidash and Full Flame does 40 damage instead of 20 when inflicted by burn.  Quite a lot of people thought that it does 80, but the card says,

' 40 INSTEAD of 20  '

So it's 40, not 40+40.

Agility and Smoke/Smog Screen

When you get heads while flipping for agility, your opponent CAN'T touch. They can't attack you, inflict a special condition or anything else that is affected by an attack is prevented.

Now for Smoke/SmogScreen,

The effects says,

' When the DEFENDING POKEMON tries to attack '

So, it is specific to ONLY the pokemon that smog/smokescreen is done to. So, if you retreat your active pokemon that was affected by smog/smokescreen, your NEW active pokemon can attack without flipping a coin.

Mist Attack, Fast Wave, Swift, etc.

When this attack is used, it goes through  ANY and EVERY 'defense' your opponent uses.  Examples:-

a) Buffer Piece(DR)
b) Safeguard
c) Damage Reducing attacks and Poke-powers and Poke-bodies
d) Attack Effects like Agility.
e) Resistance

Hope you get this one. ;)

This one is the next MOST common one next to Rare Candy

Lannette's Net Search

This card is EASILY misunderstood because of this line,

' Search your deck for 3 Types of pokemon and put them ino your hand'

So, people thought like, " Hey, let's find for 3 pokemon"

But, it's actually 3 TYPES of pokemon as in:-

Fire
Water
Grass
Metal
Darkness
Fighting
Lightning
Psychic

Hope people are ACTUALLY READING THIS * saying VERY loudly *

Special Energy

As we all know, we can't put more than 4 special energy cards in your deck. But, I've seen many people with this same mistake. Please read the rulebook.

Special energy like Rainbow, Multi and DRE( Double Rainbow Energy) that provides EVERY type of energy, are still counted as special energy.

Well, that's it.  
Hope people, guest or members that read will finally understand some cards they misunderstood.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you still are confused with something I said or another card that you don't get, please, feel free to PM me.

RE: Just to inform....

It's nice to see you made this. Alot of people I see do have these problems and alot of people here misunderstand those types of cards, even though it's pretty simple.

I'll sticky this so people see it.

Thanks, Abhorsen.

I'll put up more misunderstandings as soon as I figure some out.

Didnt know that about Ditto/Unown/Deoxyz...
Make more misundertsands!

Nigafiga, it's hard to find misunderstandings. These are the ones that always come by.

Thanks anyways

Let me correct this:
Ludicolo DX: Happy Dance
It only affect the owner of this card's Pokemon, right? Not ALL Pokemon in play (it means opponent won't get healed)
but even so, like you said, it is ALL or none of your pokemon get healed...

Yes, Mystery E. Of course people will get that it is only from yours.
Remember, if you have any misunderstandings, PM me.

If you found out a new one, you can PM me and I'll post it here, and written

Given By: blah,blah,blah

what about this one.
If my oppenent have politoed ex as active while I have Gengar LM active with curse power as active. He use Punch and run and Gengar die. Curse Power come into effect does Curse Power effect hit Fossil or the Politeod ex. Since i alway thought of it like this.
Politeod ex puch and run then gengar die then curse power go to politoed then politoed swtich with fossils.

RE:  Just to inform....

Scizor VS Me said:
what about this one.
If my oppenent have politoed ex as active while I have Gengar LM active with curse power as active. He use Punch and run and Gengar die. Curse Power come into effect does Curse Power effect hit Fossil or the Politeod ex. Since i alway thought of it like this.
Politeod ex puch and run then gengar die then curse power go to politoed then politoed swtich with fossils.
the switch is after the damage, so I guess that it does damage to politoed
*I'm not sure, don't blame me if I'm incorrect*

wow very nice, i bet this took a little while to make. good job.

cute-mew i believe you are correct too, cause curse powder would've said at the end of the turn, then it'd be fossil, but it doesn't it says the attacking pokemon takes the damage, which in this case would be Politoad ex.

Arcanine out.

cool, yea, but about the dratini and the dark dragonair, I was planning to do that :D

RE: Misunderstandings and Mistakes, Beginners Please Look

armaldoEX said:
Holon GL, WP and FF

I just saw one of this mistake today [ 06.06.2006 ].  Well, to reming you all, you've got to have the recommended energy to use its first effect. To use the second one, you got to have the first energy, as well as the second recommended energy. Hope people get this now.

I can't find anything in the Compendium to support this. If this is true, Holon Energy suck now.

armaldoEX said:
Holon Castform

Its attack " Delta Draw", allows you to draw up to the same amount of delta pokemon in play.  Just as a reminder, You DON'T
Draw a card for Holon Castform, cause it's not a delta pokemon, but a holon Pokemon.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Delta Pokemon are pokemon which has the delta sign and the word " Delta Species" Beside its name.

This either. You're probably right, but can you show us a link confirming this or the previous quote?

armaldoEX said:
ATM[ Rock, Ice or Steel]

Another Reminder.

You MUST make the pokemon ATM is attached to active to use the card's Effect. It also MUST have the energy cost to use the attack. Using this attack makes your turn end.

I don't know how this could be confusing... at all. If you attack, you have to pay for the attack. Benched Pokémon can't attack, so... yeah. Anyway, you may want to include a tidbit for ATM Ice saying that if you don't complete the first part (discarding the opponent's Trainers), you DO NOT get the second effect (immunity for a turn).

I learned that the hard way.

armaldoEX said:
Blastoise EX

...This works the same when Shiftry EX is released. Each energy you attach, 20 damage.

According to PokéBeach's Crystal Guardians text spoiler, Shiftry ex's Poké-Body gives 20 damage to any of your opponent's Pokémon that uses a Poké-Power.

armaldoEX said:
Next, we have,

Metronome

Clefable EX and Togetic has this attack which allows you to use the DEFENDING's pokemon attack.  You don't need the same energy type, just the attack cost.

E.G.   Defending pokemon's attack = 3 Lightning
        To use Metronome=            You need 3 energy of ANY type.

You may want to include that if the copied attack states you must do something "in order to do this attack", you MUST do it (like Base Set Charmeleon's Flamethrower, you MUST discard 1 Fire Energy attached to whatever is copying the move). If you can't, you cannot copy the move. This is only true for attacks that state you must do something "in order to do this attack".

armaldoEX said:
Mist Attack, Fast Wave, Swift, etc.

When this attack is used, it goes through  ANY and EVERY 'defense' your opponent uses.  Examples:-

a) Buffer Piece(DR)
b) Safeguard
c) Damage Reducing attacks and Poke-powers and Poke-bodies
d) Attack Effects like Agility.
e) Resistance

Hope you get this one. ;)

You may want to add that these Swiftlike moves aren't affected by Weakness, either. Fastwave and Brick Smash are exceptions; Weakness IS applied when figuring damage.

armaldoEX said:

Lannette's Net Search

Fire
Water
Grass
Metal
Darkness
Fighting
Lightning
Psychic

Again, to clarify, you might want to state that if you choose a dual-type Pokémon (like Team Magma's Groudon, which is Darkness/Fighting), you can only choose 1 more Pokémon (since you got two types already), it can't be dual-type (because that would be four, not three), and it can't be Darkness OR Fighting (because they are both taken already).

:)

is delta pokemon can evolve to non delta pokemon
example:
shelgon (delta) evolve to salamence ex or
shelgon (non delta)evolve to salamence (delta)

is magma's deck can add other pokemon
examples:
team magma's aggron deck add sableye(ex deoxys -tat can see ur opponent hand card)

Mateo Johnson said:
armaldoEX Wrote:

Lannette's Net Search

Fire
Water
Grass
Metal
Darkness
Fighting
Lightning
Psychic

Again, to clarify, you might want to state that if you choose a dual-type Pokémon (like Team Magma's Groudon, which is Darkness/Fighting), you can only choose 1 more Pokémon (since you got two types already), it can't be dual-type (because that would be four, not three), and it can't be Darkness OR Fighting (because they are both taken already).

Lanette's Net Search says, "Search your deck for up to 3 different types of Basic Pokemon cards".  So even if you get a dual type pokemon, such as Team Magma's Groudon, you can still get 2 more, assuming neither have either darkness or fighting type.  It says "search for up to 3 different types", it dosen't say "choose 3 types and search for pokemon of those types only".

EDIT: Holon Energy FF, GL, or WP works even if you only have the second basic energy attached. For example, if you have a Holon Energy FF and a basic Fighting Energy attached to a Poliwrath (UF), the damage done by Poliwrath's attacks would not be affected by resistance.

armaldoEX said:
Holon GL, WP and FF

I just saw one of this mistake today [ 06.06.2006 ]. Well, to reming you all, you've got to have the recommended energy to use its first effect. To use the second one, you got to have the first energy, as well as the second recommended energy. Hope people get this now.

Not true. We'll look at Holon FF as an example:

"Holon Energy FF provides [C] Energy. If the Pokémon that Holon Energy FF is attached to also has a basic [R] Energy card attached to it, that Pokémon has no Weakness. If the Pokémon that Holon Energy is attached to also has a basic [F] Energy card attached to it, damage done by that Pokémon's attack isn't affected by Resistence. Ignore these effects if Holon Energy FF is attached to a Pokémon-ex."

The word "also" appears twice in the wording for this card. "Also" is referring to Holon FF and a basic Fire Energy, or Holon FF and a basic Fighting Energy, or both at the same time. If both had to be attached in order for the second effect to work, it would specify so on the card. This is similar to how Ancient Mantra, Psychic Option, and the Miracle Spheres work.

I wish they reprinted the Miracle Spheres/Mystery Plates. They were cool...

RE:  Misunderstandings and Mistakes, Beginners Please Look

dragonite07 said:
Lanette's Net Search says, "Search your deck for up to 3 different types of Basic Pokemon cards".  So even if you get a dual type pokemon, such as Team Magma's Groudon, you can still get 2 more, assuming neither have either darkness or fighting type.  ...

Wanna bet?

The Compendium said:
Q. If I use Lanette's Net Search to find three Pokémon one of them being Team Magma's Groudon (which is both Dark and Fighting), can I search for a plain Dark or plain Fighting Pokémon, or does the Groudon count for both of those types?
A. Dual type Pokémon always count as both of their types. In this case, no, you could not get a Fighting or Dark Pokémon if you chose Team Magma's Groudon. (Mar 11, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Lanette’s Net Search says to search for 3 different types of Pokémon. If I get a Fire-Darkness Pokémon, does that count as 2 of those cards?
A. Yes. If you chose a Dual type Pokémon, you could only choose 1 more Pokémon (and it couldn't be either of those two types). (Dec 16, 2004 PUI Announcements)

Q. If I use Lanette's Net Search to search for a Dual Type Pokémon (like Team Magma's Groudon, Darkness/Fighting), can the second Pokémon searched for also be a dual type (such as Jirachi, Metal/Psychic)?
A. No, the total number of TYPES you can search for is three and those types cannot be duplicated. So if you tried searching for two Dual Type Pokémon, that would be four types which is one too many. (Dec 16, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

:) And just out of curiosity, why did you delete the first part of my name when you quoted me?

kenny siow said:
is delta pokemon can evolve to non delta pokemon
example:
shelgon (delta) evolve to salamence ex or
shelgon (non delta)evolve to salamence (delta)

Absolutely. Remember, the δ on a Pokémon's card does not change the name of a card. In fact, you could play an entire game without actually utilizing the fact that it is Delta Species. The only time you really need to worry about it is if a card in play is checking for Pokémon with δ on its card.

For example, if δ was to be part of a Pokémon's name, Salamence δ would say "Evolves from Shelgon δ". If this were the case, you would ONLY be able to use cards called "Shelgon" bearing the δ symbol. Since this isn't true, you can use any card you wish that is called "Shelgon" to evolve into Salamence δ (or any card that "Evolves from Shelgon" for that matter, like Salamence ex).

kenny siow said:
is magma's deck can add other pokemon
examples:
team magma's aggron deck add sableye(ex deoxys -tat can see ur opponent hand card)

The Compendium has sort of a ruling on this, but you can tweak it to fit your situation:

The Compendium said:
Q. Can you mix Team Magma and Team Aqua cards in the same deck?
A. Yes. There is no rule preventing you from playing rival teams in the same deck. The cards generally work better within the same team, but it's up to the player how they build their decks. (Team Magma vs Team Aqua Prerelease FAQ, Q2)

In short, yes, you can. There are no limits to the cards one can put in a deck, provided they follow the rules for the format you're playing.

I don't post stuff that are on Conpendium as members can read it there. Like some cards people misunderstood, I just post them here. So, no conpendium stuff. Like Rare Candy, it's no harm posting here too as people still gets confused by it.

kenny siow said:
cool now my deck is cool!!!!!!team magma's Aggron and sableye -go for it

Don't post something irrevelant to the topic. Yes your deck is cool but if you want post it in the Deck Garage. I know I'm not a Moderator but I'm just trying to help.

Anyways, anymore PMs about Misunderstandings???

Abhorsen Edit: Thanks for informing of that post above, I removed it. kenny siow, stop spamming. Everyone else: No this isnt a double post, dont complain about it.

RE:  Misunderstandings and Mistakes, Beginners Please Look

armaldoEX said:
I don't post stuff that are on Conpendium as members can read it there. Like some cards people misunderstood, I just post them here. So, no conpendium stuff.  Like Rare Candy, it's no harm posting here too as people still gets confused by it.

A lot of the stuff you mentioned can be found in either a rulebook or the Compendium; most times, people fail to look at either source. I'm guilty of this myself, actually... :rolleyes:

Also, if you post something conflicting with existing rulings (such as the instance with the Holon Energy), it can create even more confusion.

Back