Neglected Lines in groups?

Pikachu6319

Scooby
Let me clarify, as I was thinking about this while considering a deck concept. Take the Unova Dragon Trio Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem. Let's look at the cards:

Reshiram has a BW version, a BW FA version, a tin version, a gift box version, theme deck versions (I think there will be a non holo) for Next Destinies, an ex version in the set, an alternate art ex version in a tin and (presumably) a ex FA version,

Zekrom has a BW version, a BW FA versions, a tin version, a gift box version, theme deck versions (I think there will be a non holo) for Next Destinies, an ex version in the set, an alternate art ex version in a tin and (presumably) a ex FA version.

Now look at Kyurem, a NV version, an ex version for Next Destinies, an alternate arttwork ex version, and an ex FA version.

Now do we need to have four different versions (not counting ex ones) of Kyurem like we have of Reshiram and Zekrom. Not really, but none the less we have them. So why is it that Kyurem doesn't get a FA version like his two counterparts (again talking regular not ex)? Why doesn't he get a promo version like the tin ones (all they did was reverse Reshiram and Zekrom's positions for the promos, that didn't take much thought) and why doesn't he have a gift box version, which is simply the pack art placed on the card (which I think would be kind of cool actually). It'd be easy enough to do this so why not? Is it because he's unpopular? or unplayable? The fact that you can't find one on ebay for less that fifteen dollars would seem to contract those ideas.

I know there are other examples of this, like Venusaur being the only starter (at the time) that was never a Delta Species Pokemon or Sceptile being the only Hoenn starter not to have two different EX versions himself. Or Nidoking being a crystal pokemon but not Nidoqueen. Or Omastar being the only fossil (pre BW) not to get an EX version, or even have a holographic counterpart (Kabutops always has been holo, as has Cradily and Armaldo. Except for Legend Maker Aerodactyl has currently always been holo, though I think Dark Rush changes that one). Or that Zapdos has been a Rocket non EX Pokemon (Moltres does share this point) and an SP Pokemon that Articuno has not. Or that (to date) while Raikou and Entei received an ex version in BW era Suicune has not.

So what pokemon in 'lines' do you think have been neglected and what is your opinion about it?

Kyurem doesn't get his own because he isn't as well known. Think about it, Reshiram and Zekrom are on the covers of the games, Reshiram and Zekrom were in the Macy's day parade last year. They are just more well known and are more popular. Once the third verson of B/W comes out on the DS we will see more Kyurem but till then he will remain the neglected one.

Arcanine needs more cards...also Bonsly and Sudowoodo.

Sceptile has two ex cards just like Blaziken and Swampert do.

A Pokemon line that I feel has been neglected is Krabby/Kingler because they are by far the Kanto line with the fewest cards. When I read opinions like "Arcanine is so ignored/hated by the TCG!*" when it has almost 20 cards I'm just like... really? Krabby and Kingler have SIX cards! None of the Lightning, Fire, Dark or Metal Pokemon are neglected - since those represent singular video game types that are already smaller than usual, chances are those Pokemon have inflated counts, whereas many Water Pokemon have been lost in the shuffle.

Other Pokemon that I feel have been ignored are ones that were not added to any of the sets in the HS block - prompting my disappointment when most of the old Pokemon that debuted in Psycho Drive/Hail Blizzard were the same ones we always get like Pikachu, Meowth, etc instead of ones that are not even part of the current rotation. This pile includes Ekans/Arbok (which haven't been printed since Great Encounters!), Seel/Dewgong (Supreme Victors), Geodude/Graveler/Golem (Arceus), Krabby/Kingler yet again (Great Encounters), Shellder/Cloyster (SECRET WONDERS!!), etc.

* - I wrote this without reading catutie's post first, I swear. I was thinking of another thread where this subject of Arcanine being neglected in the TCG came up. :( I do agree about Bonsly and Mantyke, though - one English card (plus two more Japanese-exclusives) just isn't cutting it. It was kind of messed up how they weren't in HGSS's base set with Sudowoodo and Mantyke, and then the later HS sets started adding Sinnoh lines as well as new pre-evolutions/evolutions of Johto Pokemon.

@Frost: I don't exactly count the Delta Species Sceptile in the same vein as the regualars. That actually is another point as, similar to Venusaur and Meganium, Blaziken and Swampert weren't given any delta species versions, unlike their water and fire counterparts at that time.

Arcanine actually has a fair amount of cards. Mankey/Primeape is one of those lesser done ones. Sudowoodo has seven cards, the same amount as Jumpluff (relatively ignored until the latest version). Beautifly has only six versions while Dustox has an even meager four. True though that none of those compare to Bonsly and Mantyke who do indeed have only three cards each if you count Japanese ones. These are the most neglected of the baby lines.

Though to use an earlier example, why does Zapdos have more versions (16) compared to Articuno (13) or Moltres (also 13). Even Lugia, arguably more popular than either of the three has 15, one less than Zapdos (Ho-oh has 14). I don't think that Zapdos is any more popular than than the other two, as was the reasoning for Reshiram and Zekrom vs. Kyurem.

How many different times has Wailord appeared in the TCG? I feel like it needs more exposure, as Wailord is my favorite Water-type Pokémon.

I'd like to see Wynaut, who hasn't been printed since Diamond and Pearl - Base Set. I'd like to see some more Hoenn and Kanto Pokemon implemented in the TCG (and some good ones, rather than this), but the one Pokemon I'd like to see more of IMO is Dugtrio. I would appreciate if they re-made one with some sentimental value, but hey, who am I to complain.

@Ophie: I can't give you an exact number, but I remember Wailords from TM, SV, one of the older DP sets (GE maybe?), a Wailord EX, and some other ones (I love the 200 HP ones :3).

Pikachu6319 said:
@Frost: I don't exactly count the Delta Species Sceptile in the same vein as the regualars.

Well, the Swampert and Blaziken ex cards that came out in the same set as the Sceptile delta ex used the other type that the first Blaziken/Swampert ex cards didn't (i.e. Fighting for Blaziken and Water for Swampert). Sceptile doesn't have a second typing, so they made it a delta card. In that case I think what they did was understandable and not really unfair because each Hoenn starter ended up with two different types of ex cards.

Zapdos has more cards because they used it in Base Set and Gym Heroes when they didn't use Articuno in either nor Moltres in Base Set. The reasoning there is pretty simple - Lightning was the smallest TCG typing when Base Set came out (even Fire had more Pokemon in Gen I, and Darkness/Metal didn't exist yet), so they used Zapdos extra times to have more Lightning. The other extra Zapdos card is Zapdos G from Arceus... don't know why he got singled out that time.

Where did you get the information about Zekrom and Reshiram FA ex.
Japan didnt get those. and Zekrom and Reshiram EX where in a seperated themedeck in japan

@ Shaymin Lv.X and pokemonjoe: I don't know that Reshiram ex and Zekrom ex will have FA versions that's why in front of those I had the word presumably. But it wouldn't surprise me as we do have a few instances of Japan getting cards that we got here first, Dark Raichu being one example.

@Frost: Valid point, but we got two Typhlosion EX in fire form, but only one Meganium and Feraligatr, none of which have a second elemental type. Japan got a Psychic type Lugia EX that we never got, we only got the colorless Lugia EX. We got two Metagross EX but they were both Steel types (despite it's Psychic half). We got two Flygon EX of the same type (despite Flygon being a ground type as well as dragon). We got two Tyranitar EX, both Dark types (ironically, except for Dark Tyranitar in Neo Destiny we've never had a fighting (ground) type Tyranitar). And on that note we only have a fighting Blaziken because of the EX, we never got a regular fighting card. Swampert did get a regular fighting (ground) type in Crystal Guardians in addition to the EX version.

Your right that electric was pretty small, but the fact that Articuno was excluded from the gym stuff (Zapdos and Moltres having been Rocket cards, plus there was a Blaine's Moltres) doesn't really add up.

We've had twelve versions of Dugtrio, not sure if that is a good amount or not though. We've had six versions of Wailord. It's on par with Beautifly and less than Dustox.

Hmmm I guess. What they need to do is make these neglected lines and make a really playable card out of them. Lines like, Kingler, Dewgong, Hypno, Alakazam and others that we barely see

I'm not sure Alakazam has a problem with being unplayable. He might find himself a little on the neglected side but a lot of that was because of the Uri Gellar thing or whatever. It's kind of hard to get over that especially considering the errata on Rare Candy unless they make an Ultra Evolution thing like they did on the MT Abra.

I'd love to see a really good Dewgong line too.

Would love to see Nintendo just throw Uri Geller a huge wad of cash to make him get over himself, just so we can have our Alakazam line back without an awkward kadabra-less evolution line.

I feel like R/S has by far the most versions of each of their pokemon, even though I would say also by far that R/S has the worst pokemon designs of any previous gen. A lot of Kanto pokemon haven't had much love the past couple years, but I think that's largely due to the releases of B&W and HG/SS and the obligation to promote the pokemon featured in these recent releases.

Almost all of the Kanto Pokemon were in the HS sets since the Kanto Pokemon themselves are in HGSS. There were some exceptions and I listed a few of them in my first post. We've gotten a few of the Kanto Pokemon who weren't in the HS block in the most recent BW Japanese sets too - namely Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur, Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres and Mewtwo. Hopefully the upcoming BW sets will add Ekans, Seel, Geodude, Abra, Shellder, Krabby and the other scattered few Kanto Pokemon who haven't appeared since the Platinum or (even worse) DP blocks.

Broken Pokemon EX said:
Would love to see Nintendo just throw Uri Geller a huge wad of cash to make him get over himself, just so we can have our Alakazam line back without an awkward kadabra-less evolution line.

The problem is that Uri Geller is not that kind of person. If Nintendo yielded to what he wants, he's going to demand a huge wad of cash to satisfy him, then a huge wad of cash each time Kadabra is released as a card. That is, he'll push around Nintendo until the day he dies. He may be a stage magician by profession, but his real income is through going around suing people and organizations.

The result would be that Nintendo helps line the pockets of a rich sleazy guy, and you STILL would never see a Kadabra card.

I don't even understand why the TCG is humoring Uri Gellar's delusions. The courts threw out his lawsuit when he tried to sue Nintendo a decade ago and Kadabra still appears in the games without any controversy at all. The justification for the TCG Kadabra ban is weak at best.

That's the thing--he might sue again and cost Nintendo a lot of unnecessary legal fees. (It's what the Church of Scientology does all the time--they don't win a lot of their lawsuits, but they ruin their enemies financially by repeatedly suing them until they run out of money.)

If he'd sue again, what's stopping him from doing it right now? It's not like Kadabra or its supposed likeness to Uri Geller has disappeared from the video games or anything. His complaint was always that Nintendo turned him into an "evil occult" video game character, not that Wizards of the Coast (since they owned the TCG when he sued the first time) did it in the card game.

But why pay Uri Geller when they can just make different evolution lines? No one's going to quit because they don't have Kadabra cards released– Nintendo isn't too worried about including it enough to spend money on the idea.

I'd like to see some love for the grass-type starters. The only one I know of being mildly popular was Sceptile (although I gues Torterra did see a tiny bit of play). Like honestly, Pokémon seems to hate grass-types.

Grass types are pretty pathetic in the TCG to be honest. They seem to like to make fire and psychic the most powerful. Grass needs a good card that will make a while deck and be top tier....all in favor of Meganium to be this Pokemon say I

Back