Owner Pokemon Returning to the TCG and Team Rocket Set Teased at Worlds!

Since Marnie's Morpeko is already in the name of the starter decks, we can also assume that most (if not all) of the mons accompanying the trainers in this trailer are going to get Trainer's cards. That means we could potentially have:

Lillie's Clefairy ex
Lillie's Comfey
maybe even Lillie's Cutiefly
Marnie's Grimmsnarl ex
Marnie's Morpeko
N's Zoroark ex
N's Reshiram
N's Purrloin
N's Sigilyph
N's Darmanitan
N's Klinklang
Arven's Mabosstiff (ex?)
Lillie's Psyduck
Ethan's Pichu
Rocket's Mewtwo (ex?)
Also, I just realized that Marnie's Grimmsnarl ex specifically evolves from Marnie's Morgrem. I bet that was the mechanic when Trainer's mons were a thing but I wasn't into the TCG back then so that surprises me. That means we can also nearly confirm:

N's Zorua
N's Liepard
N's Darumaka
N's Klink
N's Klang
Arven's Maschiff
Misty's Golduck (if Psyduck isn't an ex)

Last edited:
From a collection standpoint I think Owner's Pokemon are a lot of fun. Though as a player I think they kinda take away some of the fantasy of the gameplay. When I'm in a battle I want to be using MY Pokemon, not someone else's, I know that's dorky especially given I'm a grown man talking about "my immersion" in a children's card game, but still it does take that little bit away from it for me.

That said, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make in exchange for a healthy, fun, and varied meta game.

Speaking of, we'll have at least one Owner's Pokemon that's legal in GLC with N's Reshiram and presumably whatever Trainer support comes with it. Likely nothing major will come of that for the format, but still it's food for thought once we see more. Edit: I totally had forgotten that "Team Plasma's" Pokemon are technically owner Pokemon. So I suppose disregard this last bit.

Last edited:
Also, I just realized that Marnie's Grimmsnarl ex specifically evolves from Marnie's Morgrem. I bet that was the mechanic when Trainer's mons were a thing but I wasn't into the TCG back then so that surprises me. That means we can also nearly confirm:

N's Zorua
N's Liepard
N's Darumaka
N's Klink
N's Klang
Arven's Maschiff
Ethan's Pikachu
Ethan's Raichu (ex?)
Well, as for Ethan's Pikachu and Ethan's Raichu (ex?), no baby Pokémon has evolved into its respective basic since the end of the Diamond and Pearl era, so I don't see why Pokémon should need to print Ethan's Pikachu and Ethan's Raichu. Also, N's Purloin was a notable Pokémon of his, but not one that has been seen evolved in any form of Pokémon media, so I wouldn't guarantee an N's Liepard being printed. (I could say the same for Misty's Golduck, except that Misty HAD a Golduck in Pokémon Stadium 2 and in the TCG itself. I'm double-checking this information on Bulbapedia.)

From a collection standpoint I think Owner's Pokemon are a lot of fun. Though as a player I think they kinda take away some of the fantasy of the gameplay. When I'm in a battle I want to be using MY Pokemon, not someone else's, I know that's dorky especially given I'm a grown man talking about "my immersion" in a children's card game, but still it does take that little bit away from it for me.

That said, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make in exchange for a healthy, fun, and varied meta game.

Speaking of, we'll have at least one Owner's Pokemon that's legal in GLC with N's Reshiram and presumably whatever Trainer support comes with it. Likely nothing major will come of that for the format, but still it's food for thought once we see more.
The tradeoff is that Trainer's Pokémon often have trainer cards associated with them, just like Dark Pokémon, Pokémon SP, and any tagged card from Plasma Freeze through the last set to feature Paradox Pokémon. So, like with Dark Pokémon and Pokémon SP, even competitive decks can end up more-or-less themed off of a trainer whom you could role-play if you so desired.

But yes, it is fun to imagine the Pokémon as your own.

So much for "learning from your mistakes", Marnie's Grimmsnarl is basically TCharizard ex on steroids, while forcing your deckbuilding to be more shallow by sticking exclusively to Marnie's Pokemon. Absolutely awful design.

I just want to see Lillie's Alolan Vulpix Illustration Rare. I expected it to be in Silver Tempest, but am hoping it makes it's debut here instead.

These are all really interesting! I really like the zoroark bad really hope it gets a nice art, and the clefairy is really awesome too! I'm worried about how good the grimmsnarl will be, but if it can only be used with one prizes then maybe it's ok? We will have to wait and see but this is super cool!

Grimmsnarl can accelerate more energy but is stuck to its 180 attack power. I'm not sure it's gonna be as good as Charizard because the way I play I never have to attach the energy to another Pokémon (mayyybe if it's on the bench I'll attach two to it and one to the active Pokémon just to switch it in). Other than that I always just grab two energies for the Char. Grimmsnarl would need really, really good teammates to be useful

Speaking of, we'll have at least one Owner's Pokemon that's legal in GLC with N's Reshiram and presumably whatever Trainer support comes with it. Likely nothing major will come of that for the format, but still it's food for thought once we see more. Edit: I totally had forgotten that "Team Plasma's" Pokemon are technically owner Pokemon. So I suppose disregard this last bit.
I think immersion is still really important and it’s fine to care about it no matter the age. Really can’t say it’s the same for everyone, but we started to play the game for some reason and the fantasy may be great part of it. I’ve heard of another cool tcg that’s been recommended to me and illustrations seem nice, but then the moves have no names on them, it really just make me not play the game for that reason, as silly as it may sound

1724052208531.png

Not gonna lie, on the exes it's less apparent, but on the regular ones, it looks so bland and low effort. They could have made something more fancy on the frame and stuff to make the cards really pop.

N's Zorua
N's Liepard
N's Darumaka
N's Klink
N's Klang
Arven's Maschiff
Ethan's Pikachu
Ethan's Raichu (ex?)
Why can’t it just be Ethan’s Pichu ex? I’d rather that be the case then it evolving

I’m feeling very impatient. While I’m still looking forward to the sets yet to be released in 2024, 2025 is looking mighty interesting. Can’t wait!

Back