XY Pokémon Abilities: New and Updated

Drohn

Wild War Dance
Pokémon Abilities​

This thread gives an overview of the new abilities that are introduced in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y as well as the older abilities that are updated in this generation.

How do you feel about the Abilities? How will they affect the game play? Are there any Pokémon that you think should have these abilities? Remember to elaborate/explain in your posts!

NameDescriptionPokémon
AerilateNormal-type moves will become Flying-type.
  • Mega Pinsir
Aroma VeilProtects allies from attacks that effect their mental state.
  • Spritzee
  • Aromatisse
Aura BreakThe effects of Aura Abilities are reversed.
  • Zygarde
BulletproofProtects the Pokémon from some ball and bomb moves.
  • Chespin
  • Quilladin
  • Chesnaught
Cheeck PouchUpon eating a berry in battle this ability will restore HP next to the regular effect of the berry.
  • Dedenne
  • Bunnelby
CompetitiveBoosts the Sp. Atk stat when a stat is lowered.
  • Igglybuff
  • Jigglypuff
  • Wigglytuff
  • Milotic
  • Gothita
  • Gothorita
  • Gothitelle
Dark AuraStrengthens the power of all Dark-type attacks in battle; for the user, its allies, and opponents.
  • Yveltal
Fairy AuraStrengthens the power of all Fairy-type attacks in battle; for the user, its allies, and opponents.
  • Xerneas
Flower VeilPrevents lowering of ally Grass-type Pokémon's stats.
Fur CoatDamage from moves that make contact is cut in half.
  • Furfrou
Gale WingsGives priority to Flying-type moves.
GooeyContact with the Pokémon lowers the attacker's Speed stat.
Grass PeltBoosts the Defense stat in Grassy Terrain.
MagicianThe Pokémon steals the held item of a Pokémon it hits with a move.
Mega LauncherPulse moves become more powerful.
  • Blastoise (Mega)
Parental BondLets the user attack twice in the same turn.
  • Kangaskhan (Mega)
PixilateNormal-type moves become Fairy-type moves.
ProteanChanges the Pokémon's type to the type of the move it just used.
RefrigerateChanges the Normal-type moves of the Pokémon to Ice-type moves.
  • Amaura
Stance ChangeThe Pokémon changes form depending on how it battles.
Strong JawIncreases the power of moves for which the Pokémon uses its jaw.
  • Tyrunt
Sweet VeilPrevents allies from falling asleep.
  • Swirlix
SymbiosisThe Pokémon can pass an item to an ally.
Tough ClawsPowers up moves that make direct contact.

[private]Don't edit this code; it's for easy Copy/Pasting when adding new Abilities!
Code:
[tr]
[td][/td] 
[td][/td]
[td][spoiler=Used by][list]
[*]
[/list][/spoiler][/td]
[/tr]
[/private]

That Mega Launcher ability has got me curious... does this mean we'll be getting 'Pulse' type moves now, in addition to 'Punching' and 'Sound' type moves? And with that said, could this be what the rumor meant about 'dual-type' moves? I just hope Blastoise actually uses its cannon to use these moves, since Hydro Cannon is apparently fired from its mouth instead--wouldn't make much sense to call it Launcher and give it a cannon, only to shoot everything from its mouth!

Also, anyone else concerned over the power of Parental Bond? I mean, two Earthquakes in a row? That sounds seriously powerful!

It could be possible that attacks get a new category next to Physical and Special to determine what effect it has and by what it is affected.

Maybe the baby Kangaskhan won't be as strong as its mother. That would make sense to me and it's a good way to stop it from being too overpowered.

J.D. said:
Also, anyone else concerned over the power of Parental Bond? I mean, two Earthquakes in a row? That sounds seriously powerful!

The second hit from the child Kangaskhan may be:
A) A weaker version of the attack used by the parent Kangaskhan
B) A semi-weak Normal-type hit (giving it STAB, theoretically)
C) A set amount of damage without a type association

I think that option A and B are both likely, though option A would make more sense, strategically.

Option C doesn't seem very likely, but I thought I'd add it to give some variety to my theories.

Fairy Aura and Dark Aura looks awesome.
It shows that the legendaries are radiating in power.

About Parental Bond:
I'm pretty sure that the kid will have a bit of a downgrade in power.
Having two epic moves that can dominate the field....that's way overpowered.

I really like the Cheek Pouch ability, at least for in game, but I can see competitive use for it as well (depending on who gets it).
Watchog should get Cheek Pouch in some way. It's already confirmed to keep seeds in its mouth.
Or maybe Watchog could get an evolution/mega evolution with Cheek Pouch (gaining a type would be cool too).

I think Mega Launcher should power up more moves then pulse moves. Hydro Cannon and Hydro Pump should be powered as well.
Octillery should get this ability as well (or it's mega).

Dark Aura sounds like something Darkrai should have, but it seems Yveltal exclusive.
If Gardevoir gets a mega, Fairy Aura would be a great ability for it. But, again, it seems exclusive Xerneas.

The only other pokemon that might get Parental Bond would be Nidoqueen, though I have no idea how. So it seems like only Kangaskan (and maybe a/some new pokemon) will get this ability.

edit:
Sweet Veil seems useful, but it depends on what pokemon get it I suppose. Seems like a good ability for support pokemon (maybe if we get something like Blissey this gen with Sweet Veil ability).

For the moves that will be powered up by Mega Launcher, the special version of Iron Fist, here's a list of what I think is reasonable:

Signal Beam
Dark Pulse
Dragon Pulse
Charge Beam
Zap Cannon
Aura Sphere
Fire Blast (?)
Flamethrower
SolarBeam
Aurora Beam
Ice Beam
Hyper Beam
Psybeam
Mirror Shot (?)
Flash Cannon
BubbleBeam
Hydro Cannon
Hydro Pump
Octazooka
Water Gun
Water Pulse

We only have a few actual pulse moves (Water Pulse, Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse, and Aura Sphere (Japanese name: ''Pulse Bomb'')). It would be silly if only those moves got a boost. The list comprises of mostly ''pulse'', ''cannon'' and ''beam''-moves.

What do you think?

Wait a sec.... Sweet veil's affect.... On a fairy.... That means if fairy does turn out to be strong against dark... Swirlix line just became the Anti-Darkrai?!

Drohn said:
It could be possible that attacks get a new category next to Physical and Special to determine what effect it has and by what it is affected.

Maybe the baby Kangaskhan won't be as strong as its mother. That would make sense to me and it's a good way to stop it from being too overpowered.

This reminds me of when in Pokemon Conquest, the elemental monkeys have that Melee ability where if an opponent hits you and you're beside the monkey, it'll hit you too.

Maybe this is the same concept, but maybe instead of getting another STAB, the baby gets 2/3 the power of the attack (so if it's 100 BP, it's not 150 with STAB, it gets 67?)

TheRoyalXerneas said:
You forgot about sweet veil, swirlix's ability.

*[mod]Drohn[/mod]: Added!

*reads text*

Wait, doesn't it protect the user as well, not just the allies? Or am I wrong about that?

Swirlix's Sweet Veil Ability is new to Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. It keeps Swirlix's Pokémon Teammates from falling asleep.

That's from the official site. To me it seems that it doesn't affect the ability carrier from the text (although that is a bit strange). Maybe it's because sugar keeps those who eat it active, but it won't eat itself? That's the best reason I can come up with. :p

Drohn said:
Swirlix's Sweet Veil Ability is new to Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. It keeps Swirlix's Pokémon Teammates from falling asleep.

That's from the official site. To me it seems that it doesn't affect the ability carrier from the text (although that is a bit strange). Maybe it's because sugar keeps those who eat it active, but it won't eat itself? That's the best reason I can come up with. :p
Except swirlix eats only candy. Right? Pretty sure about that.

There has got to be something more with Mega Launcher. I mean it seems very useless since there is only so many pulse moves, so it has to be that Mega Launcher powers up pulse move quite a bit, or it has to power moves that are not just pulse moves like Aura Sphere.

[private] Fixed Grammar. -Ysmir[/private]

Ghost King said:
There has got to be something more with Mega Launcher. I mean it seems very useless since there is only so many pulse moves, so it has to be that Mega Launcher powers up pulse move quite a bit, or it has to power moves that are not just pulse moves like Aura Sphere.

[private] Fixed Grammar. -Ysmir[/private]

This is probably the case. It is still exclusive to Mega Blastoise, and if it would only boost Water Pulse, it would be one of most useless abilities ever. It only makes sense if it were to boost Hydro Pump and Hydro Cannon as well.

Hey Drohn, just an idea here, but you should make this a "confirmed new abilities AND new moves thread", just to get discussion going a bit more (IE thread/forum hits). I think Parting Shot might just be the new "U-Turn" for Dark types and I definitely think it should be discussed a bit more.

*[mod]Drohn[/mod]: From the title and text it should be clear what the thread is about. People who want to discuss the abilities can clearly see that this is the place. I appreciate that you're thinking along here! :) If you want to discuss that specific ability, feel free!*

NoDice said:
Hey Drohn, just an idea here, but you should make this a "confirmed new abilities AND new moves thread", just to get discussion going a bit more (IE thread/forum hits). I think Parting Shot might just be the new "U-Turn" for Dark types and I definitely think it should be discussed a bit more.

*[mod]Drohn[/mod]: From the title and text it should be clear what the thread is about. People who want to discuss the abilities can clearly see that this is the place. I appreciate that you're thinking along here! :) If you want to discuss that specific ability, feel free!*

What he's saying is you should change it to include the confirmed moves as well so that it gives people more to talk about since there's not a lot of abilities to discuss.

Ohman177 said:
NoDice said:

What he's saying is you should change it to include the confirmed moves as well so that it gives people more to talk about since there's not a lot of abilities to discuss.

That is precisely what I was getting at!

Back