XY Pokémon Moves: New and Updated

Here you can see a lot of moves in action:

http://youtu.be/7jG0V8F0NY0

The main thing this video shows is Noivern and Malamar in a double battle, with Noivern using a move that lowers it's STATS slightly (could be Draco Meteor?) and then Malamar counteracting by using Topsy-Turvy on Noivern to make that STAT drop a STAT boost! Amazing idea!

You also see Draining Kiss being used and what rain looks like in battle. Boomburst also looks like it does some good damage!

That is a good strategy for Double Battles. Topsy-Turvy could also work with Leaf Storm and Overheat. It could turn Victiny in a speedy defence beast with V-Create!

Honestly, it only takes one move like that to make doubles a little more popular competitively.

じゃれつき (Play Around), a new Fairy type move has been revealed during the Japanese eShop trailer.

It's been used by Marill, and it dealt quite an amount of damage on a Haxorus. Assuming it is a physical move, even with Huge Power (20 base Attack), the damage it dealt is still impressive;

A STAB, SE, Fairy type move, from a Marill with Huge Power, a neurtral nature, 0 EVs, and 31 IVs in attack, against a neutral natured Haxorus with 0 EVs, and 31 IV in Defense, would still need a base power of ~95 in order to 2 hit-KO it.

Pokequaza said:
じゃれつき (Play Around), a new Fairy type move has been revealed during the Japanese eShop trailer.

It's been used by Marill, and it dealt quite an amount of damage on a Haxorus. Assuming it is a physical move, even with Huge Power (20 base Attack), the damage it dealt is still impressive;

A STAB, SE, Fairy type move, from a Marill with Huge Power, a neurtral nature, 0 EVs, and 31 IVs in attack, against a neutral natured Haxorus with 0 EVs, and 31 IV in Defense, would still need a base power of ~95 in order to 2 hit-KO it.

It's possible that it'll work like foul play.

TheRoyalXerneas said:
Pokequaza said:

It's possible that it'll work like foul play.

Unlikely, Foul Play uses the opponent's Attack stat to calculate its damage, with Haxorus' 147 base Attack stat, any super-effective, STAB attack would knock it out. The ~95 damage is just an estimate, it might be 90, or 100, an attack never deals exactly the same amount of damage, there's a random multiplier in the damage formula.

That's a powerful move. If Marill can already do that much damage to Haxorus; Dragon-type Pokémon better be careful. I'll add the move to the list.

With moves like Topsy-Turvy and Baby-Doll Eyes, it seems like Taunt will become more necessary than ever. I wonder if they'll give us an item that works like Taunt, or another move like it so that more pokemon can make use of it?

Pokequaza said:

I thought it was called Child's Play?
That sounds much better....and evil....to me.

98Greener said:
Pokequaza said:

I've seen it as ''Child's Play'', I guess you could even argue that ''Playful Luck'' could pass as a translation. That's just a matter of personal preference. However, I think that ''Play Around'' will be the closest translation to the eventual English name for this move.

Most people already have a problem with gender differences, imagine the pedophilia related arguements that would come up if a move was called ''Child's Play''

Pokequaza said:
98Greener said:

I've seen it as ''Child's Play'', I guess you could even argue that ''Playful Luck'' could pass as a translation. That's just a matter of personal preference. However, I think that ''Play Around'' will be the closest translation to the eventual English name for this move.

Most people already have a problem with gender differences, imagine the pedophilia related arguements that would come up if a move was called ''Child's Play''

Who are these most people?

Anyway when people say "Child's Play" in the west the thing that comes to mind is "very easy" not children playing. I doubt you'd get more than a few oddballs making that argument and less still believing it.

The new move Freeze Dry is confirmed to be super-effective on Water Pokémon. It seems it just freezes any non-Water Pokémon, as seen here with Tyrantrum:

85.jpg

The Freeze animation looks amazing, I have to say.

Pokequaza said:
The new move Freeze Dry is confirmed to be super-effective on Water Pokémon. It seems it just freezes any non-Water Pokémon, as seen here with Tyrantrum:

85.jpg

The Freeze animation looks amazing, I have say.

Hopefully it has a decently high accuracy, Freezing is probably the least used status condition. Up until now it was just a nice occasional bonus that happened when you used Ice Beam or Blizzard. It would be great to see Freezing be used more competitively! (although I'll be cursing it later on...)

Pokequaza said:

85.jpg

The Freeze animation looks amazing, I have say.

The description says 'An Ice type move that can leave the target Frozen' or something along those lines.
Note the 'can'.
If it was a 100% freeze move, it would say 'A move that Freezes the opponent'. (this is before the revelation it hits Water for SE damage)

This is probably the biggest hint towards it's true nature. My guess is that it's just an average Ice type move that happens to also hit Water for SE damage.

I'm hoping the Freeze chance is slightly higher on this move, hopefully a 20% chance or something. (30 seems a bit high, considering Frozen is the most broken status move)

P.DelSlayer said:
I'm hoping the Freeze chance is slightly higher on this move, hopefully a 20% chance or something. (30 seems a bit high, considering Frozen is the most broken status move)

If it will be exclusive to Ice Pokémon, that would be great, a strength that might cover its major weakness; its terrible defense.

I'm very happy with Freeze Dry. Finally Pokémon is looking at more than just type effectiveness to how moves affect Pokémon. I hope for more similar moves and other moves with special effects.

[split] Your views on the Fairy type-distribution and the Fairy type Pokemon

We saw that Sylveon had a move called "Moonblast". Considering that Umbreon is the "Moonlight Pokemon" do you think there is any chance it will be added to its movepool, giving it a wider range of coverage?

Drohn said:
I'm very happy with Freeze Dry. Finally Pokémon is looking at more than just type effectiveness to how moves affect Pokémon. I hope for more similar moves and other moves with special effects.

Could these be the rumored "dual-type" moves; the kind that have a regular effect against the type chart but an unusual, specific effect against a particular type or two?

Back