XY Pokémon X / Y Capture Rates and Mechanics

RE: Shaking your 3DS to catch Pokémon?

Wailady said:
That's known as a Critical Capture I think. A new feature introduced this generation.

I don't know what effects the chances of this happening, but I think I read if the your Pokemon in battle has high PokeAmie stats, then the chances of a Critical Capture are increased. I'm not for certain though.

1. Last generation.
2. The more full your Pokedex is, the more likely you are to get a Crit Capture.

RE: Shaking Your 3DS to Catch Pokémon?

Well is that on seen or actually caught? Right now I have seen 500 Pokemon exactly and have roughly 340 Pokemon caught XD.:)

PokeChimpo said:
bacon said:
Recommending that the OP records data on Balls Used VS Captures for both a still and shaking 3DS, otherwise the claims are meaningless.

That is why the OP is asking for other players to test and see if we're getting the same results, I see no where in this post where he/she is claiming that this method 100% works for everyone. I've used 25 Ultra balls trying to catch a Poke' once and I then used a PokeBall because I ran out of Ultra balls and the PokeBall caught it, theres so much strange stuff going on with X and Y anything is possible.

What I'm driving at is people should be using actual numbers rather than vague "This worked/didn't work for me!" claims.

As people tend to remember uncommon events more distinctly than common ones, it introduces a selection bias that skews any conclusion you'd draw out of this. The solution is to collect raw, unbiased data (e.g. what I mentioned in my first post).

I agree that anything is possible, but possibilities can only be confirmed with a sensible methodology. :Y

Wailady said:
That's known as a Critical Capture I think. A new feature introduced this generation.

I don't know what effects the chances of this happening, but I think I read if the your Pokemon in battle has high PokeAmie stats, then the chances of a Critical Capture are increased. I'm not for certain though.

I heard that it depends on the number and variety of pokemon you catch to increase the chances of a Crit capture

Wilderness said:
Remember guys, anything more than two shakes... ;)

If it's more than two shakes, OP is playing with their 3ds. I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

Also not to mention some Pokemon with a certain type of characteristic like lax or adamant are easier or harder depending on nature.:)

xxashxx said:
Also not to mention some Pokemon with a certain type of characteristic like lax or adamant are easier or harder depending on nature.:)

I don't think that's true. Source?

I tried it, and I catched a Spinda (lv 52) with a pokéball.
But than I tried it with a Lombre, and it didn't work.

xxashxx said:

I'm not sure how the natures and characteristics would affect how easy or hard pokemon are to catch. Would you be willing to give a source? I am quite curious about this, true or not.

I have found this out myself when I was catching junk Pokemon for events I was trading for in 5th gen and previous games before 5th gen. Serious Natures are usually harder to catch if the Pokemon is at level 4. You would have to fetch 3 or 4 Ultra Balls before the Pokemon would be caught. Lax Natures tend to be very easy.:)

The nature has so far not affected capture rates. I don't think they added it in this generation either. I believe you were just (un)lucky in some of those captures.

I also changed the title of this thread to allow a broader discussion.

xxashxx said:
Well is that on seen or actually caught? Right now I have seen 500 Pokemon exactly and have roughly 340 Pokemon caught XD.:)

Caught.

Does the nintendo DS have motion sensor technology inside it? That should decide whether its even possible for a start. I wasnt aware it did have.

JamesBond said:
Does the nintendo DS have motion sensor technology inside it? That should decide whether its even possible for a start. I wasnt aware it did have.

Yes it does have a gyroscope feature. That's how games like Dream Radar and the camera feature in XY work.

Hey i must be special because I just throw out a ultra ball 1-3 times on a full health ed pokemon and i capture it is that normal or am i really special i`ve been doing this scene emerald and it works for me even on legendary`s i`ve done it like Girintina or Kyurem and they have high capture rates don`t they

xxashxx said:

For critical capturing, I think it goes one both. I have gotten it multiple times with different pokeballs and the like and was certainly surprised the first time. Whereas meanwhile I have 500 or so seen and maybe lower 300s logged in; but I got critical captures beforehand too

Check said:
Hey i must be special because I just throw out a ultra ball 1-3 times on a full health ed pokemon and i capture it is that normal or am i really special i`ve been doing this scene emerald and it works for me even on legendary`s i`ve done it like Girintina or Kyurem and they have high capture rates don`t they

First of all, there's this thing called punctuation...

But on a serious note, you're either trolling or really lucky. The only legendaries that have extremely high catch rates are Reshiram and Zekrom, but that's because you actually have to catch them for the storyline to proceed. I easily caught Yveltal in Y as well, so Xerneas and Yveltal may have similar high capture rates, though I'm not sure of this. I may have just gotten lucky.

Mewtwo has a high catch rate as well . I caught Mewtwo on my X with only 4 Ultra Balls. Either that I was just lucky. The Birds have a high catch rate. For example catching my Zapdos on my LG took only 6 Poke Balls. I mentioned that in another thread post but not sure if anyone saw that post.:)

xxashxx said:
Mewtwo has a high catch rate as well . I caught Mewtwo on my X with only 4 Ultra Balls. Either that I was just lucky. The Birds have a high catch rate. For example catching my Zapdos on my LG took only 6 Poke Balls. I mentioned that in another thread post but not sure if anyone saw that post.:)

Mewtwo gave me a bit of trouble, though definitely not as much as in HG/SS and FireRed. I think the Zapdos on your LeafGreen game was a fluke, I remember the birds being extremely difficult for me, I wasted around 30 Ultra Balls on each one average, and that was with them at minimal health and put to sleep >.>

In any case, what do you make of GF making legendaries easier to catch? Personally, I'm not really a fan. Catching legendaries used to be a true challenge, with many of them having frustrating healing moves and extremely low catch rates. It used to take forever, but that was kind of the fun, wasn't it? When finally, after multiple soft resets and dozens of Ultra Balls, you finally got that satisfying "click". I miss the excitement of that moment, when mighty Giratina or Rayquaza finally succumbed to your might and agreed to follow you on your journey. So many feels...

Yeah I must have been pretty lucky that day. I remember catching Dialga on my Diamond and that took roughly 70 Ultra Balls and about 3 or 4 restarts XD.:)

Back