XY Pokémon X / Y : Disappointments & Possible Improvements

Team Flare's goal was more like destroying the entire planet's population and creating an entire world of their own ideas.

So, negatives for one of the most awesome games that I have ever played? Uhm....

- The multi-attack moves...are way too slow.
- Not really enough interaction with the gym leaders. I really liked the gym leaders in B/W because they had all sorts of backstories, and they felt like a challenge....these leaders....aside from Korrina...felt just like random trainers to me. Gotta beat them for the story....wooooo. That's just what I think though.
- Lack of some certain types. I really wanted some more types of pokemon....like more Electrics and Rocks....

I really do miss the BW2 medals. They gave me things to do post-game.
I love that nintendo finally acknowledges EVs in-game.
I'm pretty disappointed that trainers (especially important ones like Gym Leaders) didn't get animations. Fighting cardboard cutouts of people is lame. Especially when even the Team Flare Grunt gets an animation.

There is one thing that they did wrong. For the third version or the sequels we need a building based off of Nome Dame in Lumiose City. It is one of the most iconic churches in the world, and they could just say that it was built by the king to remember the people and pokemon who died in the Kalos war

KiryatheDragonite said:
Jakeremix said:
If you played Gates to Infinity then you'd also know that its plot was pretty much stolen to create a motive for Team Flare. Along with that, once you beat Olympia, the end of Team Flare is really abrupt. And then beating in a pokemon battle Lysandre somehow foils their plans?

I just finished this all today and I'm pretty disappointed about it, but since it's overall an amazing game, I guess I shouldn't be complaining.

Gates to Infinity? It's more of a redux of gen 3's plot, eg. the evil team awakens a sleeping legendary Pokemon in order to cause havoc or further their goals.

Also, anyone notice that the Daycare guy turns to face you when he has an egg? Such a great improvement, really. Better than the game stopping to call you.

Just realized you were talking about the Mystery Dungeon game. No, I didn't play that, but that's a stretch to compare it to that. I mean, that's the basest form of a plot. It's more of a back to basics thing, taking the legendary away from the villains before their plans go horribly wrong (convieniently before the eight gym as well). They probably wanted to scale it back after all the awesomeness of gen 5.

bennett999 said:
There is one thing that they did wrong. For the third version or the sequels we need a building based off of Nome Dame in Lumiose City. It is one of the most iconic churches in the world, and they could just say that it was built by the king to remember the people and pokemon who died in the Kalos war

I'm pretty sure the Pokemon League is based off of Notre Dame though. I didn't like the music there though. It didn't sound..."epic" enough. It almost sounded like a generic Chinese soundtrack to me.

Like some people already said: number of new Pokémon, Gym Leaders, and Friend Safari.
A new generation has to have new Pokémon and at least more than 100. To realise that before launch, almost if not half of the new Pokémon had been already revealed and we thinking that we would get much more...
We've been dealing with some Pokémon all the way since Gen. 1. At least Black & White did a better job not only with plentiful new Pokémon but also by only allowing those new to be seen and caught.
Kalos' Pokémon are very, VERY, V.E.R.Y dissapointing. As a Grass trainer I do welcome the new Ghost/Grass Pokémon but introducing two families with this typing and only having Chespin's and Gogoat's line as the only Grass Pokémon is sad...Now I know how the Poison lovers must've felt back in Gen. III. I can't shake the feeling that some blame must be put on Mega-evolutions...

Gym leaders...First of all, again no Dark-type gym. Secondly, easier gym leaders don't make for memorable ones, just something that doesn't even make you sweat and that stays behind in something called "past".
Ramos, the jolly old man who's ready to cut your rope and let you fall to your death with that scizor cane.

About the Friend Safari, why not a regular and good ol' Safari Zone? WHY?

Leaf_Ranger said:
Now I know how the Poison lovers must've felt back in Gen. III.

Poison lovers feel your pain this gen, too...

Something that didn't bother me (or that I didn't notice) until now: the speed of multi-hit moves. Lord help me if I get attacked with something that hits 5 times!

The Gym Leader Battle theme isn't as memorable as past themes, but the Champion Battle theme more than makes up for it!

The lack of new Pokemon was disappointing. 69.... or 90+ if you wanna count Mega Evolutions...

And the pokemon who needed to mega evolve didn't get it. A new region that included old pokes, but no new babies and no new evolution lines.

The gym leaders were not exciting. A lot of them looked bland. And why no Dark Type gym? Seriously your final gym is a Ice guy? I blew through that...

Also disappointed in weak rivals. Still waiting for that one rival that has all 6 Pokemon before you face the Elite 4 or the rival that becomes the Champion.

CMP said:
Something that didn't bother me (or that I didn't notice) until now: the speed of multi-hit moves. Lord help me if I get attacked with something that hits 5 times!

In reflection cave, I got into a horde battle. five mime jr. doubleslap. ALL of them.

EDIT: later today, another horde battle. five stunkies. fury swipes.

I think gym battles should be 2v2 for badges 1-2, 3v3 for badges 3-4, 4v4 for badges 5-6, and 5v5 for badges 7-8

*You and the gym leader are only allowed to use 2 full restores, 1 revive, 1 full heal or something similar to that. This should definitely make gym battles so much more fun and aggravating. Imagine taking out Milktank (rollout), only to have it revive to wipe you out again :D

I actually used the same number of pokemon as each gym leader to make it fair. They were all still really easy...

CMP said:
Leaf_Ranger said:
Now I know how the Poison lovers must've felt back in Gen. III.

You're indeed right.
Now that I think of it, type-specialized trainers musn't be very happy with this generation. 2/3 of the new Ghost Pokémon are also Grass, there's only three Eletric Pokémon, two of which from the same family, Dark hasn't that much new and exciting Pokémon (save for Yveltal), Poison got a new cool two stage family but that's it, Fire...feels like we're back in D/P's Sinnoh...

Maybe...hum...that's it, it must be, Pokémon species are becoming extinct! After so many years of capturing, poaching and Team Rocket's actions, Pokémon species began to fell! That or Game Freak was just too busy putting lots of spikes to create Mega-Evolutions and venerating Charizard as the ultimate badass Pokémon which rises above all else.

Leaf_Ranger said:
CMP said:

You're indeed right.
Now that I think of it, type-specialized trainers musn't be very happy with this generation. 2/3 of the new Ghost Pokémon are also Grass, there's only three Eletric Pokémon, two of which from the same family, Dark hasn't that much new and exciting Pokémon (save for Yveltal), Poison got a new cool two stage family but that's it, Fire...feels like we're back in D/P's Sinnoh...

Maybe...hum...that's it, it must be, Pokémon species are becoming extinct! After so many years of capturing, poaching and Team Rocket's actions, Pokémon species began to fell! That or Game Freak was just too busy putting lots of spikes to create Mega-Evolutions and venerating Charizard as the ultimate badass Pokémon which rises above all else.

They simply rushed this generation.

They implented a lot of new things, but the price was the Triple-P (Plot, Pokémon, Postgame)
The biggest change was probably the 3D graphic (probably had the longest developing time), but to be completely honest, we're talking about 3D graphic from 6-7 years ago, it just cannot be that hard to program graphic on such a low level. Considering when the last gen came out, they had plenty of time to deliver a decent product. They could've done the graphic revamp back in DPP times, back then the DS was already capable of a better standard than Pixel Wars , but why bother when you know everyone is going to buy it nevertheless. I'm just glad they finally switched to 3D graphic, another Pixelwars wouldn't have made it on my desk anymore.

They also threw money and time out for revamping the screams of the Pokémon. I'd understand the revamp if we were talking about screams like they're saying their own name (which I wouldn't like tbh), but they just made high pitched polyphone ringtones. I don't mind it, but it's a waste of money and developing time, considering that most people just mute the game anyways.
Even though we just have 69 new Pokémon (MegaEvos don't count for me), they're at least all well done (imo). Competitivelywise some Pokémon are wasted potential, but GF tends to buff them with future generations.

But the biggest hurdle is done: Switching over to 3D graphic with all the Pokémon.
Now they can hopefully focus at details for every Pokémon (in battle f.e.) and on new Pokémon. :D

I know it's weird saying this, but I'm kinda excited for the next generation already x>

Leaf_Ranger said:

The safari in XY promotes connectivity between players and makes the arduous slog of breeding far more tolerable. It is hands down one of the most beneficial changes XY has introduced.

I havent played X yet however from what i read and saw, im noy much of a fan to the lack of new pokemon. I think the new Mega-Evolutions are completely stupid. From the gameplay that i see they could have been a little more creative with some of the newer pokemon, I dislike that there are only 69 new pokemon compared to the other games where there are like 100+ yes the whole customization thing is nice but i would like the ablility to take of the damn hat xD oh well

iDrake said:
They simply rushed this generation.

They implented a lot of new things, but the price was the Triple-P (Plot, Pokémon, Postgame)
The biggest change was probably the 3D graphic (probably had the longest developing time), but to be completely honest, we're talking about 3D graphic from 6-7 years ago, it just cannot be that hard to program graphic on such a low level. Considering when the last gen came out, they had plenty of time to deliver a decent product. They could've done the graphic revamp back in DPP times, back then the DS was already capable of a better standard than Pixel Wars , but why bother when you know everyone is going to buy it nevertheless. I'm just glad they finally switched to 3D graphic, another Pixelwars wouldn't have made it on my desk anymore.

They also threw money and time out for revamping the screams of the Pokémon. I'd understand the revamp if we were talking about screams like they're saying their own name (which I wouldn't like tbh), but they just made high pitched polyphone ringtones. I don't mind it, but it's a waste of money and developing time, considering that most people just mute the game anyways.
Even though we just have 69 new Pokémon (MegaEvos don't count for me), they're at least all well done (imo). Competitivelywise some Pokémon are wasted potential, but GF tends to buff them with future generations.

But the biggest hurdle is done: Switching over to 3D graphic with all the Pokémon.
Now they can hopefully focus at details for every Pokémon (in battle f.e.) and on new Pokémon. :D

I know it's weird saying this, but I'm kinda excited for the next generation already x>

Aside from Charizard and Rhyhorn, I can't see the reasoning behind the updated cries, like you've said, it's a waste of time and money, namely Pikachu that just got more annoying.
Do you seriously think that most people mute the game? In my case, I like to hear all the music and sounds.

To me, the most important in new Pokémon isn't competitive value but design and when looking at the new region, diversity. While some are well designed, I don't like most of them and adding almost if no diversity kills my interest in this generation. I like to have options when training Pokémon.

I have mixed feelings when it comes to wishing already for a new generation. It probably won't happen but I'd like instead to see the "Z" version with new Pokémon and no new Mega-evolutions. I think that it's best to let GF think on what they did wrong and hear the players/fans critics to the games or the new generation might end up being all made with Mega-evolutions.

bacon said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

The safari in XY promotes connectivity between players and makes the arduous slog of breeding far more tolerable. It is hands down one of the most beneficial changes XY has introduced.

I think that the requirement of trading to complete the Pokédex is already enough reason to promote connectivity and about the Safari, that's most useful for competitive players and I don't remember hearing about some poll on wether the focus should be on the main story or making things easier for competitive players and breeding.

I want to remove my hat [though i did find one i quite like]. Girls need more less sissy clothes. Shorts need to go at least halfway to the knees, seriously.

E4 people could get a 20+ level boost for postgame, as well as more speech variation [though i am having fun trying different orders in which to battle them to see what they say].

VS SEEKER, SERIOUSLY WHY ISN'T THIS BACK YET. -foams-

iDrake said:
we're talking about 3D graphic from 6-7 years ago, it just cannot be that hard to program graphic on such a low level. Considering when the last gen came out, they had plenty of time to deliver a decent product. They could've done the graphic revamp back in DPP times, back then the DS was already capable of a better standard than Pixel Wars ,

Actually the 3d graphics X and Y use are not something the DS could make, not at that scale. The best entirely 3d based game I played in the DS was metroid prime hunters, and that one came on the very first days of the DS phat. Most DS games were still sprite based, despite the system being somewhat capable of 3D rendering.
So the graphics are not from 6-7 years ago, not for a nintendo console. And making and animating the 3d models is not something done quickly or easily, as I have said before.

professorlight said:
iDrake said:
we're talking about 3D graphic from 6-7 years ago, it just cannot be that hard to program graphic on such a low level. Considering when the last gen came out, they had plenty of time to deliver a decent product. They could've done the graphic revamp back in DPP times, back then the DS was already capable of a better standard than Pixel Wars ,

Actually the 3d graphics X and Y use are not something the DS could make, not at that scale. The best entirely 3d based game I played in the DS was metroid prime hunters, and that one came on the very first days of the DS phat. Most DS games were still sprite based, despite the system being somewhat capable of 3D rendering.
So the graphics are not from 6-7 years ago, not for a nintendo console. And making and animating the 3d models is not something done quickly or easily, as I have said before.

Yeah, my bad. I somehow remembered Spectrobes being in 3D graphic, but it actually was more like 3D sprite-like graphic -___-

But still, nowadays games have such a realistic graphic that it scares me. Seeing how this game is (graphicwise) as basic as it can get (which sounds extremely negative, I don't mean it that way tho), I just cannot comprehend it. We're not talking about some random indie company, but about GameFreak. They should have the capactities and skill to develop at a somewhat decent pace and quality.

A ridiculous comparison to show my lack of understanding :

The Batman Game Trilogy got released on a 2 years base.
Every part had a unique (better) story line (and with unique I don't mean one protagonist with a rival, one team trying to do evil things with a legendary they find)
Every part stepped up their graphic
Every part improved their gameplay
Every part was bigger than the one before.
Every part was released for 5 different systems (PS3, Xbox, PC, Wii U, Mac)
Second series the company ever developed
Has 90 employees

Compare this to Pokémon:

- Same story, just different names
- Same graphic, just different locations (after more than a decade a milestone)
- Same gameplay, occasionally an improvement/addition
- New Pokémon, occasionally new typings
- New gimmicks (occassionally)
- New game released every year; new generation every second year
- Gets released on one system
- Veterans in the game industry with a high focus on the Pokémon series (rarely develop any other games anymore)
Has 85 employees

Like I said, this is like comparing apples and oranges, but you can see the difference in standards the developers set themselves.

This generation was the first to really set a milestone for Pokémon in three ways. The graphic level, the individualization of the character and the level of "closeness" one can experience with their Pokémon. These milestones are something, developers try to surpass with every upcoming part of their game.

Gamefreak really took the saaaaaaaaaaaaafest road by keeping the same pattern for generations.
Finally, after a decade they decide to step up their game and they are not even able to maintain their usual standard, which isn't high to begin with? I mean you just take everything you've implemented so far, improve it and voilá, you've created the next generation for this series. You cannot be serious and tell me the switch to 3D took all they've got. I mean, even there they didn't succeed completely, since the game cannot be played in 3D mode (which I don't mind tbh). So on what the hell did you waste your time and money?

iDrake said:
Yeah, my bad. I somehow remembered Spectrobes being in 3D graphic, but it actually was more like 3D sprite-like graphic -___-

But still, nowadays games have such a realistic graphic that it scares me. Seeing how this game is (graphicwise) as basic as it can get (which sounds extremely negative, I don't mean it that way tho), I just cannot comprehend it. We're not talking about some random indie company, but about GameFreak. They should have the capactities and skill to develop at a somewhat decent pace and quality.
Realistic graphics don't really mesh with pokemon, and inserting pokemon into extremely detailed environments works even less (Evidence: the latest live action pokemon XY trailers, pokemon battle revolution). The pokemon games will never get to the photorrealistic level of mainstream games for two reasons: one, nintendo will always be behind its competitors in graphical prowess (hardware-wise) and two, it simply shouldn't. X and Y's graphic style is just that, a graphic style. Nowadays, any relatively big studio can pull photorrealism off (dontnod, remember me, 2013), but there are few that can do art. Super princess peach, The legend of zelda skyward sword, okami, many others and now pokemon XY are games that rely in more than graphic power to show what they want to. You are now playing pokemon the way it was always supposed to be played, graphics-wise. in 3d models (pokemon stadium onwards, the pokepark games) but with art that brings the original ken sugimori's artwork (and he is a big part of pokemon's appeal, both in art terms and design-wise) without losing it's charms (pokemon battle revolution).
So, take it from someone who's been making 3d pokemon for 12+ years; pokemon + realism is a no-no.

iDrake said:
A ridiculous comparison to show my lack of understanding :

The Batman Game Trilogy got released on a 2 years base.
Every part had a unique (better) story line (and with unique I don't mean one protagonist with a rival, one team trying to do evil things with a legendary they find)
Every part stepped up their graphic
Every part improved their gameplay
Every part was bigger than the one before.
Every part was released for 5 different systems (PS3, Xbox, PC, Wii U, Mac)
Second series the company ever developed
Has 90 employees

Compare this to Pokémon:

- Veterans in the game industry with a high focus on the Pokémon series (rarely develop any other games anymore)
Has 85 employees

Like I said, this is like comparing apples and oranges, but you can see the difference in standards the developers set themselves.
For starters, you are comparing THE god damn Batman, the greatest person ever to exist:
[img width=300 height=]http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/3/2/9/119329.jpg?v=1[/img]
this mofo

With ash ketchum, the greatest waffle to ever gain sentience:
[img width=300 height=]http://www.pokemonquotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/ash-ketchum-2.jpg[/img]
this moron

But you know that already, so, no point there, just remarking that Batman is the best, so:
arkham:
- The Batman Game Trilogy got released on a 2 years base.
It's not really relevant, I guess each company releases their new stuff when appropiate.
- Every part had a unique (better) story line (and with unique I don't mean one protagonist with a rival, one team trying to do evil things with a legendary they find)
Well, it's batman. Year one, the long halloween, batman TAS, batman TAS, batman TAS and many other stories about him are some of the best regarded literary works (romeo and juliet are crap compared to mad love. I'm serious) and their characters always give lots of room for development and interesting stories, unlike the formulaic, impersonal characters in pokemon.
- Every part stepped up their graphic
Really? scale, certainly, but in close quarters, city's graphics didn't seem as different from asylum's.
- Every part improved their gameplay
Uhhh, asylum's gameplay was perfect already... the only thing rocksteady needed to do to improve it was giving you all gadgets from the begining (which they did, mostly).
- Every part was bigger than the one before.
That is true for both, in a sense.
- Every part was released for 5 different systems (PS3, Xbox, PC, Wii U, Mac)
Independent developer without exclusivity. And they would have faced a very angry mob if they decided to make it exclusive for something. and batman wouldn't have saved them.
- Second series the company ever developed
Pokemon was the second videogame GF made, when they were in the verge of bankruptcy and nintendo wasn't doing very well.
Has 90 employees

pokemon:
Sadly, pokemon never was vey good when it comes to story, it was always more about gameplay and a deep personal experience.
The consoles didn't gave them much leeway in that regard, either. Up to now, they were all sprite based.
GF is very cautious.
That's kind of the whole point of the game.
2 years? I thought it was something like 4...
Nintendo has exclusivity, and masuda himself said that he can't really see pokemon RPGs in a non-portable console in the future.
And they are the best at pokemon.
Has 85 employees

iDrake said:
This generation was the first to really set a milestone for Pokémon in three ways. The graphic level, the individualization of the character and the level of "closeness" one can experience with their Pokémon. These milestones are something, developers try to surpass with every upcoming part of their game.

Gamefreak really took the saaaaaaaaaaaaafest road by keeping the same pattern for generations.
Finally, after a decade they decide to step up their game and they are not even able to maintain their usual standard, which isn't high to begin with? I mean you just take everything you've implemented so far, improve it and voilá, you've created the next generation for this series. You cannot be serious and tell me the switch to 3D took all they've got. I mean, even there they didn't succeed completely, since the game cannot be played in 3D mode (which I don't mind tbh). So on what the hell did you waste your time and money?

I can be serious to tell you that, they had to make the whole thing from scratch, that's no easy feat. and yes, the story is sad. I'm only about to beat korrina, but I admit, the little story I saw is incredibly cheesy (C'mon, lysandre, who the f*** says their life goal out loud when exiting a room? who?) or your friends, who are so one-dimensional, I think ethan in HGSS had more personality. I think that after this game, GF shuld focus on story, maybe take a few pointers from the batman stories, and definitely from BW, which didn't just had a good, well crafted story (for pokemon standards), but also deconstructed the very core of the franchise while it forced you to continue in that paradigm, something incredibly deep and smart for any videogame, not just pokemon.

Back