Pokemon the Series X / Y Discussion (English Dub)

RE: Pokemon the Series XY Discussion

Vivillon's name is based, at least somewhat on the French "papillon" (butterfly), in which the "ll" makes a "y" sound, which is why it's pronounced like that. :)

Athena said:
Vivillon's name is based, at least somewhat on the French "papillon" (butterfly), in which the "ll" makes a "y" sound, which is why it's pronounced like that. :)

It's the Minccino thing all over again >_<

Haha, true, though the Vivillon thing at least makes a bit more sense. After all, Kalos is very obviously based on France. :p

Athena said:
Haha, true, though the Vivillon thing at least makes a bit more sense. After all, Kalos is very obviously based on France. :p

It definitely makes since that Vivillon is pronounced that way. But when Vivillon was first revealed at E3, I wasn't thinking of how French people pronounce letters. So the first thing that came out of my American mouth was Vi-vi-Lon, and it has stuck with me up until this morning. :p Now I just hope that I have been pronouncing Spewpa correctly.

Heh, I don't even pretend to understand the English pronunciations most of the time. I guess that's a benefit I have to watching in Japanese; I can still pronounce the English Pokémon names however my head canon tells me to! :D I still remember facepalming when I heard Pidove's name pronounced. Head canon is better for most things anyway. >.>

Athena said:
Heh, I don't even pretend to understand the English pronunciations most of the time. I guess that's a benefit I have to watching in Japanese; I can still pronounce the English Pokémon names however my head canon tells me to! :D I still remember facepalming when I heard Pidove's name pronounced. Head canon is better for most things anyway. >.>

Did they say it like Pee-dove? That doesn't even make any sense. Most of the pronunciations are dumb. Buneary was Buh-NEARY, instead of BUN-eary. Plus a lot of the 5th gen Pronunciations were made for Americans, so saying Lilligant, or Watchog in a British English accent sounds stupid. Same goes for Grotle, which is said Grah-tall.

Yeah, Pidove was PEE-dove. I think I actually winced a bit when I heard it.

Athena said:
Yeah, Pidove was PEE-dove. I think I actually winced a bit when I heard it.

Who calls a Pigeon a Pee-gihn? Then again, the eo in Pidgeotto and Pidgeot are pronounced.
I guess Pokémon is so far in the future, that wrong pronunciations are right. Just be glad they don't have real Pigeons that they call Pig-eons.

After seeing episode 5, I can definitely see this as one of my favourite seasons. That gym battle was awesome, even though it had such small Pokémon that were not at all powerhouses :) I found Serena's excitement at seeing Ash kind of cute to watch. This one is definitely for the shippers :p I just wish Ash could get over losing his firs gym. It's happened loads of times before.

Bisharp said:
After seeing episode 5, I can definitely see this as one of my favourite seasons. That gym battle was awesome, even though it had such small Pokémon that were not at all powerhouses :) I found Serena's excitement at seeing Ash kind of cute to watch. This one is definitely for the shippers :p I just wish Ash could get over losing his firs gym. It's happened loads of times before.

Bonnie's action is also shippers-service, I guess. Hahahha..

lovandra said:

Or an intersting remix of Brock's running gag of being pulled away from any girl he's hitting on.

SkyeVictini said:
lovandra said:

Or an intersting remix of Brock's running gag of being pulled away from any girl he's hitting on.
Makes me think there'll probably be an episode down the line where Bonnie approaches a girl Clemont actually likes.

I don't care if its incorrect or not, I'm still pronouncing Vivillon VIV-ul-on. :p

So anywho, episode 6 was really cool. I loved how Ash's strategies were used for different purposes than what he was using for training. Using Clemont's machine malfunction to shake off Sleep Powder? Brilliant! Yeah, and the whole battle was just great to watch. So glad they aren't using those battle cut backdrops anymore, those got so old.
And who took that picture on the desk at the end? Viola was in it, maybe she set up a hidden camera or something?

I'm only up to episode 3 so far.. -_-
I will definitely watch more SOON & keep up!

Well, they did it. They actually did it and I called it. They edited out the Laverre City theme from Serena's flashback. I don't mean to be butthurt or ill-informed about it, but does someone actually know why they change the BGM in the English dub? If its not for any kind of copyright or legal reasons, it seems pretty strange and unnecessary. I mean the music was just fine in the Japanese sub. I need answers! >:O

I can't find any data to pack this up right now, but I believe I heard somewhere that the music for the anime is changed when it's brought out of Japan because of copyright/trademark issues on the music itself.

Yeah, that's disappointing about copyrighting the music. Copyright is a troll sometimes, if not all the time. Just ask YouTube.
But other than that, the latest episode was pretty good dubbed, I like how Team Rocket is somehow in between where they were in Sinnoh and Unova, being not too goofy but not too serious.
I also like how Serena is thinking of how Rhyhorn racing isn't so bad after all. That awkward moment when you realize you're turning into your mom. :p

I watched a Youtube review, and I agree with their opinion that the XY anime saga has far better pacing with its gags and Team Rocket appearances, not happening every episode like they used to. Also I love how the characters react with each other, Ash isn't an incompetent much at all, Clemont actually knows his stuff, Bonnie is adorable and adds that cuteness factor to the series, which means that their Pokemon are more likely to evolve (I hope). Serena not being introduced to the others till ep. 5 was a nice touch, and despite not seeming to do much in battle, she at least knows what shes doing ahead of time.

Apexys said:
I love how the characters react with each other, Ash isn't an incompetent much at all, Clemont actually knows his stuff, Bonnie is adorable and adds that cuteness factor to the series, which means that their Pokemon are more likely to evolve (I hope).

Yeah, I absolutely love the character interaction in XY. You actually see the characters bonding a lot over time, like with Serena and Bonnie. They all feel like a big family compared to previous sagas and they look like they really enjoy each other's company. Oh, and I love Bonnie's Tyrantrum pajamas. So freakin cute!

Back